Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

EugeneJ posted:

Is that not the exact same thing AJ Styles did when he broke the neck of the guy who killed himself this week

No, not at all.

AJ basically blamed him for taking the move wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

EugeneJ posted:

Is that not the exact same thing AJ Styles did when he broke the neck of the guy who killed himself this week

It was different with AJ because NJPW or whoever wanted to sell this as AJ being a threat, I don't think AJ went out of his way to gloat about it. AJ's saved people quite a few times from getting hosed by the Styles Clash in WWE by moving a different way.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

DLC Inc posted:

It was different with AJ because NJPW or whoever wanted to sell this as AJ being a threat, I don't think AJ went out of his way to gloat about it. AJ's saved people quite a few times from getting hosed by the Styles Clash in WWE by moving a different way.

From an interview with Lionheart in the Mirror...

quote:

Q: Watching the match it appears Styles may not have been telling the truth when he suggested he didn't know you were badly hurt at the time, as he was captured on PCW cameras making a mocking gesture and shaking his head. He could also be heard to say "cashing cheques and breaking necks, that’s how it works". Did this behaviour, or him releasing a t-shirt referring to the incident, anger you?

A: His behaviour bothered me yes. When he said he didn't know, he out and out lied. He clearly did, and no doubt can be cast in that when you watch the footage. The t-shirt thing, hey it was smart. He capitalised on a situation, some thought it was poor taste and I get that. But to be honest, the t-shirt wasn't a massive deal for me. I've done it myself.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

MassRafTer posted:

From an interview with Lionheart in the Mirror...

ah, didn't know that, I was thinking about the Yoshitatsu one.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

sami callihan stinks but he is definitely better than aj styles

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
It's bizarre to me that people still tucked their chins after several other workers got hosed up doing it, and after AJ probably repeatedly told them backstage not to do that

I understand that you're trained to tuck your chin but it's a front bump. Do they also tuck their chins when they take a flapjack

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Low Desert Punk posted:

It's bizarre to me that people still tucked their chins after several other workers got hosed up doing it, and after AJ probably repeatedly told them backstage not to do that

I understand that you're trained to tuck your chin but it's a front bump. Do they also tuck their chins when they take a flapjack

You aren't inverted when you are taking a flapjack, they are very different bumps. It is very hard to train yourself to go against your instincts. When I'm inverted on aerial silks and falling we're told to tuck your chin, same as a wrestler. There are exceptions to this where you'd land like a Styles Clash if you did and it's very hard to remember not to tuck your chin even when your instructor has told you not to.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Despite announce teams selling it like literal death, the second rope Clash is significantly safer.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

is there any finisher that looks less harmful than the AA? I mean besides the loving People's Elbow or similar strikes. It's kind of nuts how Cena was the tip top guy and had a glorified fireman's carry for his big move. It's one of the lamest finishers I've seen on a top guy for sure.

On that note is there a reason for Jericho doing the Walls crab that looks lame as gently caress later in the career over the Liontamer? Is it just due to the size of an opponent or it's unsafe? I remember the Liontamer/Walls of Jericho was his go-to submission but then he toned it down into a Boston Crab, while the other one with the high angle and knee to the neck was called Liontamer(?). The name shifts were confusing to me because several games had called the OG move by both names before.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Its mostly that the high angle, Liontamer version loving sucks to take.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
As far as slams go, the AA is bad. Road Dogg's pumhandle slam might be worse. Reverse Russian leg sweeps never look good, and very few people can make STOs or reverse STOs look like a finisher. There's also that Overdrive move that they gave to developmental guys they didn't like.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
The Samoan Spike offends me on a deeply personal level when the Tongan Death Grip rules so hard qnd hasnt been used in forever.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

The Scorpion Death Lock

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

scorpion death lock is one of those ones where if you put it on so it looks like it hurts, it’s probably killing the guy. it’s actually one that looks best when Nattie does it because there’s a decent chance she’s putting it on some gal with a gymnastics background who can have her back arched waaaay back without it hurting

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

jesus WEP posted:

scorpion death lock is one of those ones where if you put it on so it looks like it hurts, it’s probably killing the guy. it’s actually one that looks best when Nattie does it because there’s a decent chance she’s putting it on some gal with a gymnastics background who can have her back arched waaaay back without it hurting

Nattie doesn't do the Scorpion Death Lock.

I named it specifically because Sting's are usually applied with less force than bedsheets.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Sting never managed to make the Scorpion look painful, but after like 20 years he eventually managed to stop stumbling ever time he turned his opponent over.

I know the Heart Punch is a terrible finish in the abstract, but it legit killed a guy and kayfabe killed another guy who died after the match.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jun 21, 2019

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

As far as slams go, the AA is bad. Road Dogg's pumhandle slam might be worse. Reverse Russian leg sweeps never look good, and very few people can make STOs or reverse STOs look like a finisher. There's also that Overdrive move that they gave to developmental guys they didn't like.

imo the good reverse STO -esque moves are the ones Bray Wyatt/Cody Rhodes do, though it also relies on whoever takes those to sell them. The one that Dustin took at DoN looked phenomenal.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Banderas is definitely good at it. It helps that he's bigger than most guys he wrestles, so he really makes it look like he's attaching a 250-pound weight to your neck to yank your face down into the mat.

TheCool69
Sep 23, 2011
The talk about Japanese traditions and Young Lions and being humble brought this question to mind. In the 80/90s why were foreign guys like Vader, Hansen, Dynamite, Norton, Andre etc so popular? Was it the "foreign heel/monster" factor or was the crowd bored by their own grapplers? I mean reading stories about their experiences it was like they were gods. They could stiff/nearly kill their opponents, got paid very good, got rats brought to the hotel room every night.

Sounded like paradise.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Halloween Jack posted:

Road Dogg's pumhandle slam might be worse.

Yeah, but what other move can you supercharge through dry humping?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
The Bronco Buster is literally just a flying dry hump

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

a german suplex is just one big overpowered dry hump

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Halloween Jack posted:

The AA is the only one among these that was the finisher of a company ace for close to a decade and treated like death.

The closest comparison would be the rock bottom which is also a fairly lame slam, sold as death because it was the top star doing it. Actually the AA is probably a better finish the that Rock Bottom because at least the elevation is higher, and it was legitimately extremely awesome anytime he did it to big show.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
^^ hiroshi tanahashi does a top rope splash as a finish and hell it works. im beginning to think that giving your ace a pretty basic finisher is a pro move.

Halloween Jack posted:

lol remember when bobby roode came out in nxt and did a pumphandle slam as his finish in his debut match and it went over so poorly it was different by the next taping or whatever

i hate that jericho had to stop using the liontamer in most applications, but i get it. he went from wrestling cruisers to wrestling much bigger dudes and apparently it hurt like loving hell even on smaller guys. i'll still pop when he does it, guaranteed though. such a good looking submission

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
As I recall, the Rock Bottom wasn't treated like a Burning Hammer even when the Rock was at his peak, and he would often hit it more than once in big matches. I wasn't so bothered by it being a weak move because it wasn't as protected as the Tombstone.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Halloween Jack posted:

As I recall, the Rock Bottom wasn't treated like a Burning Hammer even when the Rock was at his peak, and he would often hit it more than once in big matches. I wasn't so bothered by it being a weak move because it wasn't as protected as the Tombstone.
It's sorta' bizarre that the people's elbow was better protected than the rock bottom.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

shiksa posted:

^^ hiroshi tanahashi does a top rope splash as a finish and hell it works. im beginning to think that giving your ace a pretty basic finisher is a pro move.

High Fly Flow is a way better move than either the AA or the RB. Several top guys have done splashes as finishers.

I actually think giving wrestlers safe moves is good though - I'd rather see people Rock Bottomed than piledriven (piledrivered?). The performer gets it over, and the Rock Bottom was over.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

shiksa posted:

i hate that jericho had to stop using the liontamer in most applications, but i get it. he went from wrestling cruisers to wrestling much bigger dudes and apparently it hurt like loving hell even on smaller guys. i'll still pop when he does it, guaranteed though. such a good looking submission

Liontamer is by far my favorite submission ever, and I don't even say that as a huge childhood Jericho mark, since I didn't watch him until he came to WWF and had switched to the Walls.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Hellblazer187 posted:

High Fly Flow is a way better move than either the AA or the RB. Several top guys have done splashes as finishers.

I actually think giving wrestlers safe moves is good though - I'd rather see people Rock Bottomed than piledriven (piledrivered?). The performer gets it over, and the Rock Bottom was over.

The traditional piledriver is completely safe and probably wears you down less than a Rock Bottom.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

TheCool69 posted:

The talk about Japanese traditions and Young Lions and being humble brought this question to mind. In the 80/90s why were foreign guys like Vader, Hansen, Dynamite, Norton, Andre etc so popular? Was it the "foreign heel/monster" factor or was the crowd bored by their own grapplers? I mean reading stories about their experiences it was like they were gods. They could stiff/nearly kill their opponents, got paid very good, got rats brought to the hotel room every night.

Sounded like paradise.

The foreign heel was always big in Japan. You can imagine why a Japanese (or secretly Korean) hero feuding with and overcoming an American villain in post-war Japan would capture the fans' imaginations.

Also most people think about WWF vs WCW as the big wrestling war, but Japanese companies were constantly at war with each other in the 70s- 90s. Just think about the fact that Giant Baba and Antonio Inoki were students of Rikidozan at the same time, worked as a tag team, became the top two stars in Japan, and both eventually went off to form rival promotions. The gaijin were a big part of the "war". If you could steal Hansen or Brody from the other guy, it was a big shot fired.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
A schoolboy rollup is a single extended dryhump unless you do what edge did to stephanie(i want to say it was steph he dryhumped in a pin in a intergender tag?) when he pinned her.

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

AkumaHokoru posted:

A schoolboy rollup is a single extended dryhump unless you do what edge did to stephanie(i want to say it was steph he dryhumped in a pin in a intergender tag?) when he pinned her.

I think that was Beulah at One Night Stand?

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

The Rock Bottom was loving cool

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Jackie D posted:

The Rock Bottom was loving cool

No, The Rock was cool and any move he did was cool. I've seen many a bad and uncool Rock Bottom.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

shiksa posted:

:colbert: Frog splash. (And sometimes frog crossbody, which does mean that Randy Orton at one time used the same finish as the Ace of the Universe)

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

spongeh posted:

I think that was Beulah at One Night Stand?
Maybe I'm not clear on what a schoolboy is

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

DLC Inc posted:

is there any finisher that looks less harmful than the AA?

Before he switched to the STF, Erik Watts' finisher was a Fireman's Carry Takedown. So imagine a AA, except the guy doing it in on his knees.

The Scorpion Death Lock was cool back when Sting's back and knees weren't hosed up to the point where he couldn't bend.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

MassRafTer posted:

The traditional piledriver is completely safe and probably wears you down less than a Rock Bottom.

Has anybody been injured by a rock bottom?

People have been injured by piledrivers.

Edit: lol at calling any move "completely safe"

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm the only person who liked Sting. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Randaconda posted:

I'm the only person who liked Sting. :negative:

Sting is cool. I always saw him as a guy who worked to the level of his opponents, like Booker T.