Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

At last I finished this thing. It was fun delving into both murals and art installations for the first time, maybe I'll get more chances to have a hand at them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

jfc I am not worthy to look upon these... good job :wth:

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

a hole-y ghost posted:

jfc I am not worthy to look upon these... good job :wth:

Haha, thanks much! :)

Hey lofi, here are the digital colors I've completed. Took me quite some time, but I try to make the linework into something different and interesting.

So yeah these were in Photoshop so I'm BREAKING THE RULES OF THE THREAD, SORRY

Only registered members can see post attachments!

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Also I just realized, in that second one I quoted, is the center motif based on the "tilmàtli teçacatl" symbol from the Codex Magliabechiano? looking it up it's a little different but it seems to fit the mesoamerican theme

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Y Signal posted:

Mixed media portrait of Nicolas Cage I did as an assignment for a class I was in this past quarter. Watercolor, airbrush, gouache, fluid acrylics and colored pencil over graphite.

This speaks to me in the way that the obama hope poster did.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Zoben posted:

So yeah these were in Photoshop so I'm BREAKING THE RULES OF THE THREAD, SORRY

Holy poo poo, that's amazing! I would hella wear a t-shirt with that on it. Thanks for sharing, even if the feds are coming for you now.

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

a hole-y ghost posted:

Also I just realized, in that second one I quoted, is the center motif based on the "tilmàtli teçacatl" symbol from the Codex Magliabechiano? looking it up it's a little different but it seems to fit the mesoamerican theme

Yes, I did a lot of research into this, at least as much as I could on the internet. I was trying to be as respectful to the culture as I could, but obviously there are people who have PhD's in Mesoamerican studies who pointed out certain inaccuracies in the art. Which is fine by me, the initial reason I drew it was for my friend's stoner metal band, who were making an album about lots of "ancient aliens" and conspiracy theory themes, including Mayan apocalypse theories wherein the world would have ended in December 2012 due to the end of the Mayan Calendar (it didn't). The illustration uses a shitload of Mayan and Aztec themes, I thought the symbol in the middle was Mayan but it's actually Aztec. It was popularized later as the "Hunab Ku," which is the "galactic butterfly," also a symbol for a christian god (which I wasn't entirely aware about, I'm not religious but to each their own), eternity, etc. I mainly thought it looked cool.

The piece was pretty popular and it had the unexpected and pretty amazing side effect of gaining lots of appreciation from Mexicans, Central Americans, and anyone with Mesoamerican heritage. This guy from LA contacted me on Facebook to ask permission to get it as a tattoo, to which I said "cool, go for it." He got it done as a huge chest piece over his heart, with another Mayan calendar/symbol on the other side:

(Sorry about the hairy nipple pic, lol)

I'm a white dude from the Midwest so it was really fun to try to approximate some of the designs and style of the culture. Luckily I haven't been accused of cultural appropriation or whatever on Twitter or the like. Usually I'll integrate some kind of theme into the artwork from the idea from the band. This band DVNE from Scotland had an idea for a concept album which told the story about an alien world where two races were battling from the sides of technology and nature (or something a lot more deep, I'm not describing it correctly), so that one didn't have as many cultural themes, more like a sci-fi prog album landscape:

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

lofi posted:

Holy poo poo, that's amazing! I would hella wear a t-shirt with that on it. Thanks for sharing, even if the feds are coming for you now.

Thanks much, I appreciate it! :) The band will be making t-shirts of it I think, just depends on how to separate the colors. I think it would work best as 2 colors, linework plus highlights on a mid-toned shirt. That's how I've done my shirts so far. I still have a couple left, gotta do a new run soon.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

oh yeah that's what it was, I've seen the Hunab Ku before, just drew a blank! really awesome stuff!

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

Chernabog posted:

At last I finished this thing. It was fun delving into both murals and art installations for the first time, maybe I'll get more chances to have a hand at them.

That's really fuckin cool, I wish we could see it larger on the forums here! Can you describe what's going on in each step? I like the painting process, just kind of wondering what the "bars" theme is. Unless I read it wrong.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Yeah sure thing.

The place used to be a thread factory that closed down many years ago and the owners are turning it into a museum/social place (honestly I'm not entirely sure what). They are bringing graffiti artists to cover the walls and I was invited but I haven't done anything physical in years and have never touched a spray paint can so I decided to go with a mural instead. That's the first few pictures. I was actually just going to do the upper body but I screwed up the scale and just did the entire body.

The plastic tubes are something I found in there, they were used to wrap the thread around them but are basically trash now. That's when I came up with the idea to make some sort of a pixel art image and they suggested making a curtain. In the end I liked the idea of placing the thing in front of the mural. It hangs from a rail so you can move it around to enhance the composition.

Here are all the pictures in higher quality:
https://arik.artstation.com/projects/zAnNNL

Chernabog fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jun 16, 2019

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

How can I buy this one?

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

Chernabog posted:

Yeah sure thing.

The place used to be a thread factory that closed down many years ago and the owners are turning it into a museum/social place (honestly I'm not entirely sure what). They are bringing graffiti artists to cover the walls and I was invited but I haven't done anything physical in years and have never touched a spray paint can so I decided to go with a mural instead. That's the first few pictures. I was actually just going to do the upper body but I screwed up the scale and just did the entire body.

The plastic tubes are something I found in there, they were used to wrap the thread around them but are basically trash now. That's when I came up with the idea to make some sort of a pixel art image and they suggested making a curtain. In the end I liked the idea of placing the thing in front of the mural. It hangs from a rail so you can move it around to enhance the composition.

Here are all the pictures in higher quality:
https://arik.artstation.com/projects/zAnNNL

Groovy, thanks for sharing! I love seeing and hearing about process.

sigma 6 posted:

How can I buy this one?
I'd have to check to see what sizes I have left! Shirts are a bit more costly in general and I might only have size L left. But you can hit it up here or PM me: http://eliquinn.storenvy.com/

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

My first palette knife painting, done for Artdome! I've wanted to try it for ages, but never got round to it - it's a serious departure from my usual incredibly-controlled detail-heavy pens, and it was hella fun. I kinda wish I'd properly gold-leafed the grill, but :effort: (also :10bux:)

Good Ol Filbert
Jun 10, 2019

lofi posted:

My first palette knife painting, done for Artdome! I've wanted to try it for ages, but never got round to it - it's a serious departure from my usual incredibly-controlled detail-heavy pens, and it was hella fun. I kinda wish I'd properly gold-leafed the grill, but :effort: (also :10bux:)

I like it, you showed a lot of control with the palette knife. The strokes add movement to the figure, even though it's a still life. I also like the raw umber or sienna tones for texture, and the scratching adds dimension to the shape.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Thankyou! The brown tones are the mdf board showing through, I primed it really roughly so there's a lot of barely-primed brown areas.

Good Ol Filbert
Jun 10, 2019

lofi posted:

Thankyou! The brown tones are the mdf board showing through, I primed it really roughly so there's a lot of barely-primed brown areas.

I love it :) How long did this take you? Do you have a studio?

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

It took... maybe an hour, not including drying time. It's a really fast way of working, I was amazed by how much I got done so fast - no pencils, no prep, just slap the paint on! I don't have a studio, but I do have a nice dropsheet to cover the carpet in my room. Basically the same thing, right? I'd love a studio, though, I get so easily distracted working at home.

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

lofi posted:

Coolness! I don't post much on SA anymore so I haven't heard about the Artdome thing. Maybe be interested in the future I suppose. I've tried palette painting, it's really awesome if done well. I've definitely dabbled in oil painting but for some reason I've always applied the paint in too much of an anemic state. You really got the heavy texture going on there, good work! :)

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Made this second mural for my niece.

Good Ol Filbert
Jun 10, 2019

lofi posted:

It took... maybe an hour, not including drying time. It's a really fast way of working, I was amazed by how much I got done so fast - no pencils, no prep, just slap the paint on! I don't have a studio, but I do have a nice dropsheet to cover the carpet in my room. Basically the same thing, right? I'd love a studio, though, I get so easily distracted working at home.

Wow, only an hour? Awesome!

Same with the distracted at home thing. I leased a cheap studio around the corner from my home, but it's been challenging getting permits. I'm taking it one step at a time because I want to conduct proper business there not only to sell my stuff but to have an art workshop every Saturday for beginners and hobbyists as well. Where I live, there's no funding for art, so I'm taking the initiative and introducing it to my people. I have an appointment with the city inspector this week to approve the floor plan. Meanwhile, I've been working on my curriculum, hand-outs, and business plan.

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

Chernabog posted:

Made this second mural for my niece.

Very nice! Really dig the composition, great subject matter + colors for a tot's room :)

New sketchbook drawing, I actually got to the bottom and was like "gently caress!" because I wanted to continue the composition so I taped another piece of paper to it, hence the vertical composition

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Zoben posted:

Very nice! Really dig the composition, great subject matter + colors for a tot's room :)

New sketchbook drawing, I actually got to the bottom and was like "gently caress!" because I wanted to continue the composition so I taped another piece of paper to it, hence the vertical composition

I really love this. Except there is no shadow falling onto the hair. No shading to really make the profile of the face pop. I stared at it for 3 seconds before I reealized there was a figure and face. Your work is fantastic.

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

sigma 6 posted:

I really love this. Except there is no shadow falling onto the hair. No shading to really make the profile of the face pop. I stared at it for 3 seconds before I reealized there was a figure and face. Your work is fantastic.

Thanks! Yeah, I didn't really add much in the way of shading there. I tend to need to add more contrast to my work, on the other hand I like it to be mysterious and esoteric at times so that there is an aspect of discovery to the piece. And yeah, gotta straddle the line of abstraction vs. representational/realism, how much on either side is too much or too little. I love abstract art but sometimes when there's just NOTHING there, I tend to construe it as fuckin' laziness.

So you're right, I definitely could have made that face pop more, but glad you liked it regardless :) I didn't think as much about this one as I'd really been belaboring that last big project with the mountain lion in the middle, so I wanted to do something breezy and noncommittal.

Skoora
Sep 29, 2009
Water colors and sharpie paint pen

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Does anyone have some suggestions of good watercolor paper pads/notebooks to carry with them? I’d like to have something to just practice painting on when I’m out and about that holds up well under watercolor

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
https://www.strathmoreartist.com/visual-journals/visual-journal-mixed-media.html

These rule. I use the Mixed Media weight for watercolor stuff.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
I drew a hamster cowboy

saphirecalypso
Jul 23, 2019

by FactsAreUseless

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

I love the hot glue rabies!

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001
Sketch til ya retch

He's saying "indayhd" which is like how Michael Caine might say "indeed"

Rather Tonic
Apr 28, 2008
Work in progress!

This is my first oil painting in years. It's pretty garish, like it belongs in a Lisa Frank headshop, but I'm having a lot of fun. 28 x 28".

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.

Rather Tonic posted:

Work in progress!

This is my first oil painting in years. It's pretty garish, like it belongs in a Lisa Frank headshop, but I'm having a lot of fun. 28 x 28".

I really like it, though for some reason it makes me think it would make an excellent puzzle.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Rather Tonic posted:

Work in progress!

I know someone with that exact style. They're out there!

Also it looks really really amazing.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Went to a drawing event where we got to wander around a Lightship that's been converted into an arts and community event centre.

This diving helmet was in one of the cabins

They had the ship's original optics set up in the hold.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Rather Tonic posted:

Work in progress!

holy poo poo dude good job

btw you're probably aware but "belongs in a Lisa Frank headshop" is a very, very "in" look nowadays

Skoora
Sep 29, 2009

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Does anyone have some suggestions of good watercolor paper pads/notebooks to carry with them? I’d like to have something to just practice painting on when I’m out and about that holds up well under watercolor

I just did this

in the Strathmore 5.5"x8.5" 400 series notebook. The brown cover, 12 pages

Skoora fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Aug 6, 2019

Rather Tonic
Apr 28, 2008
Thank you guys for the comments, it's really encouraging!

Angrymog posted:

Went to a drawing event where we got to wander around a Lightship that's been converted into an arts and community event centre.

That sounds amazingly fun! Also, I really like your drawing of the diving helmet, especially the greens you're using in those shadows.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Everyone online says this is the watercolor paper to get, so I got some.

Let’s see how it is!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Arches is nice, but also expensive. So far I've been using Bee's 6'x9' cotton paper, which I have switched to after learning the limitations of Canson.