Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i know the ACO does joke incompetent poo poo all the time but "gently caress the ACO for throwing out a team for failing tech" is a bit far

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

counterpoint: if you're in a race as big as the 24 hours of le mans and you get something as important as the capacity of your fuel tank wrong, intentionally or not, you deserve whatever penalty is coming. they either knowingly gave themselves an advantage or are bewilderingly incompetent.

I can't wait for McLaren to race at LeMans again!

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

counterpoint: if you're in a race as big as the 24 hours of le mans and you get something as important as the capacity of your fuel tank wrong, intentionally or not, you deserve whatever penalty is coming. they either knowingly gave themselves an advantage or are bewilderingly incompetent.

Both are true for me. The team hosed up for sure, thats obvious. But the ACO hosed up in a rules enforcement system that sent fans home from the track with merch (like... if Riley had any merch for that one-off) from the wrong winner, which is a cardinal sin in racing for me. The data the ACO supplied was obviously coming in during the race, and the ACO even inspected the refueling rig during the race because they knew something was up. They should have been penalized during the race. Post race penalties that change finishing orders should be avoided at like any drat cost, especially ones that come down days after the race.

I mean they gave them that crappy penalty to replace the nose with an hour to go, god knows they aren't afraid to penalize.

Also think its odd that they have this big showy scrutineering before the race but apparently they aren't doing pump and fills like SCCA series used to do? The whole idea of minimum stop times is backassward to me.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Cygni posted:

Both are true for me. The team hosed up for sure, thats obvious. But the ACO hosed up in a rules enforcement system that sent fans home from the track with merch (like... if Riley had any merch for that one-off) from the wrong winner, which is a cardinal sin in racing for me. The data the ACO supplied was obviously coming in during the race, and the ACO even inspected the refueling rig during the race because they knew something was up. They should have been penalized during the race. Post race penalties that change finishing orders should be avoided at like any drat cost, especially ones that come down days after the race.

I mean they gave them that crappy penalty to replace the nose with an hour to go, god knows they aren't afraid to penalize.

Also think its odd that they have this big showy scrutineering before the race but apparently they aren't doing pump and fills like SCCA series used to do? The whole idea of minimum stop times is backassward to me.

It's more of a safety precaution I think, coupled with a form of BoP, than anything.

The fact that they don't check this pre-race is dumb though.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
I think some of that boils down to the re-jiggering of BoP before the race, which does affect fuel cell size. It was a mistake, the team owned up to it as a mistake. I hope it doesn't affect Keating's desire to continue campaigning the GT at Le Mans.

Why they don't check that at pre-race tech is beyond me though.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

I think some of that boils down to the re-jiggering of BoP before the race, which does affect fuel cell size.

And specifically the Fords this year.

I really hope this doesn’t throw Keating off, Pruett and Goodwin’s podcast this week suggested he was looking at a 5-year GTE-Am commitment (for at least Le Mans). Hopefully that continues.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
Post-race scrutineering is a thing in every race series from WRL to F1. Don’t want to be disqualified? Make sure you pass.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

And one of the rules they failed was fuel flow during refuelling during the race.

You can't check for that pre-race.

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

all my friends are pieces of shit
I've spent the last 97 hours in a Tibetan stupa in quiet contemplation of the impermanence of all things and the folly of worldly desires and the sand mandala I created looks like the Toyota GR Super Sport. I cannot figure out the target audience or who is going to buy a Toyota hypercar. The LFA had a Lexus badge and an engine noise that was sheer witchcraft and still nobody bought one. Even the Mk4 Supra Turbo, when new, sold like it carried infectious disease and came with a video of your parents having sex. Who is going to buy a hypercar with the pedigreed badge of your lame coworker's RAV4 and a drivetrain that screams Kirkland's Signature Porsche 918

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i'll stick with my pair of mr2s thanks

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
The problem with hypercars is that so far only Ford has made people actually drive them instead of just parking them in a plutocrat's garage.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I'm sure I can afford one right. I'll buy one why not, it's just a fancy Prius.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Shumagorath posted:

The problem with hypercars is that so far only Ford has made people actually drive them instead of just parking them in a plutocrat's garage.

Ford isn't entering into the hypercar program though, and they're not doing DPi last i checked, or pro GT.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
It's almost like Ford's beancounter CEO and Board have zero desire to do things that won't increase short term shareholder returns

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

American_business.txt

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

Proud Christian Mom posted:

It's almost like Ford's beancounter CEO and Board have zero desire to do things that won't increase short term shareholder returns

Win on Sunday, pay fewer dividends on Monday

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Minto Took posted:

American_business.txt

Hey now, credit where credit is due. Nissan too.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Proud Christian Mom posted:

It was pretty funny watching Ford Motorsports try to push IMSA and also FIA around on the new regs for their respective programs, and then promptly bail on both.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

orange juche posted:

It was pretty funny watching Ford Motorsports try to push IMSA and also FIA around on the new regs for their respective programs, and then promptly bail on both.

Who do you think is pushing for hybrid in NASCAR too?

Ford want luxury quality on cheap budgets, so a DPi project - or continuing in GTE with the GT, think how long Aston had the last-gen Vantage around - would make sense. They just don’t have the stomach for the big leagues anymore.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
This is a treat to watch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9ohHhgEfUM

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Is that still the official lap record because the 919's farewell tour counted as XCOM technology instead of a car?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Shumagorath posted:

Is that still the official lap record because the 919's farewell tour counted as XCOM technology instead of a car?

The 919 Tribute never went back to Le Mans, partially because the full circuit is only prepped and closed for the two weekends (test and race). So yes, that would be it.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

harperdc posted:

The 919 Tribute never went back to Le Mans, partially because the full circuit is only prepped and closed for the two weekends (test and race). So yes, that would be it.

They should do another weekend where it's like Goodwood with all kinds of stuff pulling laps.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Powershift posted:

They should do another weekend where it's like Goodwood with all kinds of stuff pulling laps.

There is Le Mans Classic, held separately (which I forgot about :smith: ) but that’s only every other year.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Shumagorath posted:

Yes it is, although Le Mans distinguishes between lap records and race records. See page #2 on this pdf.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Nurburgring 24 starts in 3 hours.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4-9UHEwrps

Warm-up is being broadcast right now but only with german commentary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-PwZaeY75E

probably my favorite chaotic shitshow. No rain forecast, but possible light mist around 1am.

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Thanks for youtube link Powershift :)

Is it being broadcast on any channels or is YouTube the best bet for watching?

lagidnam
Nov 8, 2010

freeranger posted:

Is it being broadcast on any channels or is YouTube the best bet for watching?

It's also here: https://www.sporttotal.tv

Click on the video, then select the (ENG) stream.
But I'm not sure if there are any region restrictions on that page.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

They've shown the Opel Manta with the fox tail, the Nurburgring 24 Hour is officially started.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Impressive fire from that Ferrari.

The second largest Ferrari dumpster fire today

MAMA MIA!

Powershift fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jun 22, 2019

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Yeah that Ferrari was very on fire.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Is this run on the GP circuit or the Nordschleife?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Shumagorath posted:

The whole thing (so Nordschleife).

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Also part of the GP circuit right?

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Super Formula at Sugo this weekend. It’s a fine circuit.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Shumagorath posted:

yes

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
God drat, how many hours are left? I can watch this on WEC's site without a VPN right?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Shumagorath posted:

God drat, how many hours are left? I can watch this on WEC's site without a VPN right?

it's streaming for free on youtube, broski. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4-9UHEwrps

20 hours, 37 minutes left.

Ferraris on fire and BMWs breaking down, all is right in this one specific spot of the world.

e: and an aston let the smoke out

e: lol he money shifted it

Powershift fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jun 22, 2019

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
I'm 99% sure it has flappy paddles, so it sounds a bit like the thing money-shifted itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Man, Le Mans in-car camera views got nothing on 24 Hours Nurburgring - the track is just SO much more dynamic, it doesn't even compare.

Fox Tail Manta is down :cry: Driver is alright, at least.
Still, 100 Megameters around Nurburgring is a LOT.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jun 22, 2019