Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

beating Artorius without a shield is a powerful feeling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I put away the shield for any monster that's bigger than a regular skeleton because I assumed it just wouldn't work :downs: So I've been rolling a lot or my new technique of walking away

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

wait til you learn about waling in circles

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Oh I learned that too! I died to the big knight so many times before understanding how to fight him that I realised I could do it to the hollow knights outside his area really easy and get the back stab animation. Though the sweetspot on that seems a bit awkward

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
the joestar family technique

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
I loving love people describing their first time through dark souls

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Arrhythmia posted:

I loving love people describing their first time through dark souls

Uranium
Sep 11, 2001

Through constant decay
Uranium creates
the radioactive ray.

Unexpected Raw Anime posted:

beating Artorius without a shield is a powerful feeling
the bloodborne epiphany

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Is there any point being human unless I need a summon for a boss? I've never been human yet it just seems meaningless because I die lots

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

EmmyOk posted:

Is there any point being human unless I need a summon for a boss? I've never been human yet it just seems meaningless because I die lots

it significantly increases enemy drop rates. i think you get like 30% extra hp too

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002
oh, you have to be human form to kindle bonfires too

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

HolePisser1982 posted:

it significantly increases enemy drop rates. i think you get like 30% extra hp too

in dark souls 1 it doesnt make a difference. it's just online or off. having that humanity number go up makes luck go up though, and yeah besides coop/invasion its just for kindling bonfires for more estus

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Managed to get my estus improved by wandering around firelink. Went back and killed the wizard by throwing fire bombs at him and his mates because they got stuck in the door like the stooges

https://twitter.com/emmyoksa/status/1139670582939869186

Got kind of owned by the Bell Gargoyle. Wasn't even doing well and he went and called his mate in. Forgot to take some more clothes off for speedy rolling but I'll be ready now that I know the boss is just there.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I died a few times to just one but then instead of dodging his attacks I just ran at him and beat away and bring up my shield whenever he attacks and chase after him. The flmae attacks that start in round two are really tricky. Added some heavy armour for flame resist because I am not dodging much just chasing them down and block when they wind up. so close to finishing one of them off this time. Last to his final tab of health but I got greedy and didn't regroup when they got on either side of me

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

While you're in human form the souls cost for levelling Resistance drops by 50%.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

In Training posted:

While you're in human form the souls cost for levelling Resistance drops by 50%.

I keep dying when the second one shows up and I'm not sure of a strategy yet other than "I hope they both don't keep using fire for a while". Going to explore the church elsewhere see if maybe there is an item to help. Saw two knights facing away from me so sneaked up to stab them in the back :smugmrgw: but there was a third knight in the back who saw me an they all hopped me and kicked my rear end :whitewater:

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Hell yeah! I figured I need to just focus one of them down but could never quite pull it off. Got the blacksmith to make my longsword from 0 to +3 from the titanite shards some boys dropped and just tore into the guy! I think his tail fell off and I got an axe lol. That's a neat detail, the next guy gave me a helmet which didn't make as much sense but cool!

Freed a man in a cell also while exploring but a note called him a miscreant

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

mysterious loyall X posted:

wait til you learn about waling in circles

Miserable Maid
Apr 22, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

EmmyOk posted:

Hell yeah! I figured I need to just focus one of them down but could never quite pull it off. Got the blacksmith to make my longsword from 0 to +3 from the titanite shards some boys dropped and just tore into the guy! I think his tail fell off and I got an axe lol. That's a neat detail, the next guy gave me a helmet which didn't make as much sense but cool!

Freed a man in a cell also while exploring but a note called him a miscreant

Nice! I could never get that drat Helmet to drop

Lautrec is awesome and also an rear end in a top hat

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Yup, gotta love that rascally Lautrec.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

He does have the best armour though.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

The guy I saved gave me a golden coin but kept laughing and I think he is going to try and murder me.

I got to the skeleton garden and barely managed to survive after aggroing every single one. Managed to get all the items and beat the giant skeleton too though after switching to a mace because it made them fall apart. Switched back to my longsword now and alternating heavy hits and small hits to beat them. Died in the catacombs because there's this one skeleton that I meet and no matter how often I kill him he revives and chases me from behind and I hosed up twice now.

e: I googled it and couldn'#t find the necromancer. Found him this time because he hit me with a fireball. Time to die bitch

EmmyOk fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Jun 23, 2019

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

EmmyOk posted:

The guy I saved gave me a golden coin but kept laughing and I think he is going to try and murder me.

Keh heh heh heh...

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

the catcombs are so hard I'm definitely kindling the bonfire I found in here. get through tonnes of skeletons to a room with a third necromancer super far away and exploding skulls

e: Became human and kindled a bonfire becuase I thought you had to be human to do it, whoops. Did good though and managed to push a lever that let me access the necromancer while being chased by his immortal skeletons. Brought them back to a cliff with me and bashed them off it with a mace like I did all their pals. Managed to kill the necromancer too though mainly because of a suicide pact

https://twitter.com/emmyoksa/status/1142886603498631171

Then put 1 point into dex so I could use lucerne which has high damage and I thought it was a hammer but its' a spear that does v little damage to them lol

EmmyOk fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jun 23, 2019

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
you do have to be human to kindle

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Okay good because I thought I wasted two humanities. Tonight is the first play session I didn't have fun with, the catacombs are a bad time. I think I must be playing wrong because even when the skeletons aren't immortal it takes 10+ hits of the mace to kill them and no other weapon does nearly as good damage despite higher damage scores. So when I do meet immortal skeletons I just knock them off cliffs but this latest necromancer is super deep down a spiral staircase thing and I can't dispatch his skeletons with the cliff trick or fast enough to get at him. Though I did just discover him this run.

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!
catacombs is definitely one of the most difficult areas on the first playthrough. i think it made me actually stop playing for a few months my first time. divine weapons really help if you can make them (not sure which blacksmith but i assume andre) because they kill skeletons even if the necromancer is alive.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I am not sure I have met that smith, I have only met the one near where you fight the bell gargoyle. I might go back to him and see if he sells titanite shards because maybe I could at least upgrade my mace then. I tried a different area previously called New Londo but there was a ghost there and I couldn't hurt it so I ran away. Despite how painful the catacombs are I have made progress and killed three necromancers so I might just keep grinding at it tomorrow.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Catacombs are ez becuase I didnt go there til after sens and all that crap

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

EmmyOk posted:

I am not sure I have met that smith, I have only met the one near where you fight the bell gargoyle. I might go back to him and see if he sells titanite shards because maybe I could at least upgrade my mace then. I tried a different area previously called New Londo but there was a ghost there and I couldn't hurt it so I ran away. Despite how painful the catacombs are I have made progress and killed three necromancers so I might just keep grinding at it tomorrow.

yeah i think thats the one what can make divine weapons.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

mysterious loyall X posted:

Catacombs are ez becuase I didnt go there til after sens and all that crap

i usualy wait til nito to go down there. but u can theoretically get a maxed chaos enchanted weapon before fighting the gargoyles from the blacksmith down there if you ever wanted to 2 hit the gargoyles (for there are 2 of them)

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

EmmyOk posted:

thats andre and hes right , you can make divine weapons from there. but you need to find the ember and give it to him subscribe to my patreon for a detailed guide on where to find the divine ember

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Is the catacombs the way to blighttown? This is where I am trying to go to

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

EmmyOk posted:

Is the catacombs the way to blighttown? This is where I am trying to go to

no, you get to blighttown through the depths, you can find the entrance to there past the capra demon (also can unlock a good shortcut back to firelink)

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

a Loving Dog posted:

no, you get to blighttown through the depths, you can find the entrance to there past the capra demon (also can unlock a good shortcut back to firelink)

Is that the new Londo place? I killed some praying ghoul type creatures in there but then met some ghosts that didn't take physical damage and a lot of bloodstains about. Is there a third option? I will go investigating around the place until I find somewhere new where I have win endless battles of attrition against skeletons

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

EmmyOk posted:

Is that the new Londo place? I killed some praying ghoul type creatures in there but then met some ghosts that didn't take physical damage and a lot of bloodstains about. Is there a third option? I will go investigating around the place until I find somewhere new where I have win endless battles of attrition against skeletons

nope that's new londo ruins, you shouldn't be going there for awhile or until your weapon is upgraded more than it probably is right now. if you haven't yet fought the capra demon, go back to where you met solaire near the bridge and try to open a closed door

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

a Loving Dog posted:

nope that's new londo ruins, you shouldn't be going there for awhile or until your weapon is upgraded more than it probably is right now. if you haven't yet fought the capra demon, go back to where you met solaire near the bridge and try to open a closed door

Ah yeds! I had meant to go back there for a while now after finding some new keys, ty.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

EmmyOk posted:

the catcombs are so hard I'm definitely kindling the bonfire I found in here. get through tonnes of skeletons to a room with a third necromancer super far away and exploding skulls

e: Became human and kindled a bonfire becuase I thought you had to be human to do it, whoops. Did good though and managed to push a lever that let me access the necromancer while being chased by his immortal skeletons. Brought them back to a cliff with me and bashed them off it with a mace like I did all their pals. Managed to kill the necromancer too though mainly because of a suicide pact

https://twitter.com/emmyoksa/status/1142886603498631171

Then put 1 point into dex so I could use lucerne which has high damage and I thought it was a hammer but its' a spear that does v little damage to them lol

its actually the easiest thing i ever done

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

spb posted:

its actually the easiest thing i ever done

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

If I'm low level in the Catacombs I just suicide rush the necromancers by sprinting wildly around. It might be dishonorable but this Hollow has no honor when it comes to practitioners of the Dark Arts.