Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Iron Crowned posted:

Speaking as someone who has worked in places where they play a soundtrack on loop, your brain eventually tunes it out and you stop hearing it.

if you're lucky

I get "I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas" in my head once every few weeks or so as a direct result of working in a toy store decades ago and I resent it. I have a lot of resentments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Shibawanko posted:

Music in public should be banned, Saudi Arabia style. Music should be played at a concert by a band, in a pub, in your house or maybe in your car. It should be illegal for a supermarket or shop to have a background soundtrack, if for no other reason than the sanity of the people working there who have to hear it over and over (even worse when it's just a jingle or announcement on loop).

The only exception in the law is for large boomboxes playing rap music, as long as they are carried on the shoulder by someone wearing sunglasses.

I feel the same way about televisions. I don't want to be forced to watch/listen to Fox News/CNN/The View/Oprah/Dr. Phil every time I go to the grocery store, dentist, doctor, gym, car repair place, etc. Some places even have television screens on their gas pumps. I'd rather have to listen to obnoxious elevator music.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

MightyJoe36 posted:

I feel the same way about televisions. I don't want to be forced to watch/listen to Fox News/CNN/The View/Oprah/Dr. Phil every time I go to the grocery store, dentist, doctor, gym, car repair place, etc. Some places even have television screens on their gas pumps. I'd rather have to listen to obnoxious elevator music.

Yeah, the problem is the TV is always tuned to a mind numbing channel. I was in a doctor's office once that had the TV tuned to the Home Shopping Network :psyduck:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Televisions should be tuned silently to National Geographic or Nature and captioned.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

I'VE GOT THE BEEEESSST OF BOTH WORLDS

Hollywood Video when Hannah Montana was a thing was, uh, not great

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

The worst thing in the world was when I worked in a cafe in a grocery store making sandwiches. The grocery store had Sirius radio or something. The store proper had one station on; the cafe, another. And then, the barista would put some hipster music on his phone and blare it.

I remember one day when "Santa Baby" was filtering in over "Careless Whisper" under a smartphone speaker grating out Silver Jews, I just set down my work and started laughing. I could feel the madness setting in.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Iron Crowned posted:

Yeah, the problem is the TV is always tuned to a mind numbing channel. I was in a doctor's office once that had the TV tuned to the Home Shopping Network :psyduck:

My local Burger King has their TV set to Fox News. If you go in, there's always three or four old duffers talking, drinking their coffee (no matter what time it is) and you can tell these guys have that same channel on at home.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Leavemywife posted:

My local Burger King has their TV set to Fox News. If you go in, there's always three or four old duffers talking, drinking their coffee (no matter what time it is) and you can tell these guys have that same channel on at home.

Burger King is the burger chain that boomers just love.

You'd think it would be McDonald's, but no, for some reason it's always Burger King.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Iron Crowned posted:

Burger King is the burger chain that boomers just love.

You'd think it would be McDonald's, but no, for some reason it's always Burger King.

Old people love businesses with the product in the name. Makes it easier for their porous brains and failing eyes when they creep down a major road at 25mph looking for dinner and staff to abuse.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Here's my latest peeve.

I'm passively looking for a new job and the recruiters this time around are just obnoxious. I've been getting barely audible calls from people with thick Indian accents for years, but this time around, if it goes to voicemail, they call back immediately.

Have you considered that maybe I'm at work, and not willing to talk to you for 10 minutes about a 6 month contract an Electrical Power Substation Design Engineer IV in Middle Nowhere, MI? Leave a message, or just let the email you also send speak for itself. Hell, next time read my resume, I don't meet the minimum requirement of a MA in Power station design with 15 years of experience in related fields.

The real kicker is that I'll get 3 calls from the same place over a couple hours, and usually calls from other recruiters for the same job.

Some recruiters have also started sending me text messages, that's also annoying, but I can at least glance down and read that I don't want to be an assembler for $12/hr two states away.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Brawnfire posted:

I refuse to live in a world where I'm not shopping to the tinny, barely-audible strains of "You Can Feel it All Over"

It's called 'Sir Duke'

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Olive! posted:

It's called 'Sir Duke'

Then the chorus should have been

Siirrr duuuke
Siirrr duuuke

Siirrr duuuke
Siirrr duuuke

dinahmoe
Sep 13, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

Here's my latest peeve.

I'm passively looking for a new job and the recruiters this time around are just obnoxious. I've been getting barely audible calls from people with thick Indian accents for years, but this time around, if it goes to voicemail, they call back immediately.

Have you considered that maybe I'm at work, and not willing to talk to you for 10 minutes about a 6 month contract an Electrical Power Substation Design Engineer IV in Middle Nowhere, MI? Leave a message, or just let the email you also send speak for itself. Hell, next time read my resume, I don't meet the minimum requirement of a MA in Power station design with 15 years of experience in related fields.

The real kicker is that I'll get 3 calls from the same place over a couple hours, and usually calls from other recruiters for the same job.

Some recruiters have also started sending me text messages, that's also annoying, but I can at least glance down and read that I don't want to be an assembler for $12/hr two states away.

I have been living this exact scenario since August of last year. Had an interview today, so hopefully the cycle will end.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
One of my gyms in Ontario would play CBC, CNN, and Fox News simultaneously on different televisions. No subtitles, you needed to be at a cardio machine and plug your headphones in for sound. It was fun seeing them silently report on the same events. I remember being there right after the Sandy Hook shooting happened.

Fox: OBAMA PUSHES NEW GUN CONTROL REGULATIONS
CNN: WHITE HOUSE CONSOLES GRIEVING FAMILIES
CBC: PRES OBAMA GIVES PRESS CONFERENCE AFTER LATEST SCHOOL SHOOTING

Paraphrased but it was similar to that

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Iron Crowned posted:

Speaking as someone who has worked in places where they play a soundtrack on loop, your brain eventually tunes it out and you stop hearing it. It's not so bad, and it's always entertaining when you realize that you're listing to a song that's blatantly about loving, or drugs, or loving and drugs, in the middle of a grocery store.

In all my years, there was exactly one song that ever actually drove anyone insane and it's this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ps7xmW-9LXQ

When I was in college I worked at Kmart. "K" radio was always the same loop and it was timed out. "Crocodile Rock" was played for every shift change, just 15 minutes prior. "Sloop John B" was for closing. It was actually kind of handy. As soon as you heard "I feel so broke up, I want to go home." You knew that it was time to start facing and cleaning. You'd be on the road in half an hour or 45 min.

I kind of enjoyed that. Whomever created the set list had a sense of humor.

Christmas was bad though. "Hello my name is Luca" was non-stop. At least once an hour. Not sure why they did that, but it's what they did.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

As much as I like Luka I don't think I could listen to it every hour and I have no idea why it would be played particularly during Christmas

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

mostlygray posted:

When I was in college I worked at Kmart. "K" radio was always the same loop and it was timed out. "Crocodile Rock" was played for every shift change, just 15 minutes prior. "Sloop John B" was for closing. It was actually kind of handy. As soon as you heard "I feel so broke up, I want to go home." You knew that it was time to start facing and cleaning. You'd be on the road in half an hour or 45 min.

I kind of enjoyed that. Whomever created the set list had a sense of humor.

Christmas was bad though. "Hello my name is Luca" was non-stop. At least once an hour. Not sure why they did that, but it's what they did.

A few years back I got a seasonal retail job over the holidays to help make some ends meet so I could buy some expensive as gently caress gifts for family (And I still hate myself for doing it) and I worked at Target. It was hell. I was staffing electronics, I was often the only person on the entire floor for entire twelve hour shifts. Every single television had to be on or we'd get written up, and they'd all be blaring a repeat of the same obnoxious target holiday advertisements. We also had Nintendo, Xbox and Sony demo kiosks that were constantly screaming sound effects and music - Skylanders, as well as Lego and Disney's hellish attempts to replicated skylanders success all screaming minute by minute. Plus a turtle beach demo kiosk which was broken because they wouldn't let us simple minded employees do something as basic as reset the jammed settings, so the volume was cranked up so loud the repeating audio test could be heard all the way over in the toy aisles.

Oh and every single shift the various tablet and iphone case alarms would go off because they just kind of did that if you so much as tapped the display phones too hard, and literally the only person who was trusted with the key to turn it off was the electronics manager guy who absolutely refused to do his job unless he could find an excuse to blame one of the employees, so he'd never answer requests to shut the alarm off but show up at lockup and yell at us for not shutting it off. I still remember how lovely it was to work there almost solely because it was a cacophonous hellscape where stopping for even three seconds of silence meant someone yelling at you for not doing "your job" even if you had zero work to do because you just finished it all.

What I'm getting at, is that retail is hell and if there is a such thing as double hell, it is filled with people who treat retail employees like garbage.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

When i worked at an apple store it was non stop customers blasting Outkaast from the dozen or so iPod speakers.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
i worked at staples during the easy button craze. "it really got to me" is an understatement

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Fade haircuts for men can gently caress right off. Why does everyone need to have the same haircut all of a sudden? Did they pass a law?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Because trends

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

Shibawanko posted:

Fade haircuts for men can gently caress right off. Why does everyone need to have the same haircut all of a sudden? Did they pass a law?

fades look good on black people. always have, always will. it's low maintenance, and looks sharp as a tack. like every other trend they're probably copying us

source: me, a black guy with a fade

nishi koichi has a new favorite as of 22:28 on Jun 23, 2019

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

or are you asking why trends exist or something

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Trends get popular quick and then fade away

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

:golfclap:

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

fades look good on black people. always have, always will. it's low maintenance, and looks sharp as a tack. like every other trend they're probably copying us

source: me, a black guy with a fade

I went out today and I don't think I've seen a single man without a fade, this is in rural Holland which is 99% white. It's just kind of hosed up that everyone looks like generic videogame protagonist now and I can barely tell men apart.

This is from my local barbershop's website's "example haircuts" page:

There isn't a single non-fade example, which is annoying for me since a fade would absolutely look terrible on me.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

yeah i think i see what you mean. i already have a hard time telling generic, vaguely schlubby white guys apart (america) and hair and clothes tend to be my usual indicators

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Am I crazy or do all these "styles" just involve combing the top of their head slightly differently?

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Inspector 34 posted:

Am I crazy or do all these "styles" just involve combing the top of their head slightly differently?

Right hand column, second from the top looks vaguely dystopian. Like those are the three hairstyles legally sanctioned by the Central Authority.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Same thing 2 left columns, 3 rows down. You can comb it this way or THIS way if you're feeling adventurous!

EdwardSwifferhands
Apr 27, 2008

I will probably lick whatever you put in front of me.
I recently started getting a fade. I'm 40 and balding. The hair nearest my ears and neck grow way faster than anything else so it made good sense to cut it shorter. It looks okay faded, I'm pleasantly surprised.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
I'm at work and a wreck up the street took out power and phone service to the building. We can't do any part of our jobs right now, because billing etc are all on computers and we have no way to do it without the computers, and the air compressor that powers the tools and lifts in the shop is electrically powered so it's down too. One coworker is a first responder so he went to the scene and apparently it's supposed to be several hours before they can even think about restoring power. We're calling customers with our personal cell phones to tell them not to come in because we won't be able to do anything. But we can't go home -- we have to be here waiting in case the power comes back on -- just sitting in the dark in this un-air-conditioned building indefinitely....

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
My coworkers who watch things on their phones in the break room, playing the audio out of their phone speakers. Use headphones, for fucks sake.

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.
When people wear sandals, cross one leg over the other man-style while sitting, and proceed to absently-mindedly play with their toes. Fuckin' gross.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Shibawanko posted:

I went out today and I don't think I've seen a single man without a fade, this is in rural Holland which is 99% white. It's just kind of hosed up that everyone looks like generic videogame protagonist now and I can barely tell men apart.

This is from my local barbershop's website's "example haircuts" page:

There isn't a single non-fade example, which is annoying for me since a fade would absolutely look terrible on me.

I call that hairstyle "the Pidgeotto"

Coolspaz
Feb 26, 2004
And so it came to pass, and so it was told, quoth the raven "never more"
When I'm driving and in a turning left lane and it's the one where there is a specific light for just turning left - and you just miss it and have to sit there waiting for 2 whole lights to change

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.

Coolspaz posted:

When I'm driving and in a turning left lane and it's the one where there is a specific light for just turning left - and you just miss it and have to sit there waiting for 2 whole lights to change

Haha, the way you mix your pronouns makes you sound like an incredibly empathetic person

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

People who just seemingly refuse to plan further ahead than maybe a day, and thus are always rushed and flighty when it comes to plans and meetings.
I've been brought in as a freelancer on a small preliminary setup of a possible research project/presentation for the fall.

But the loving guy is utterly loving unable to just set up meetings a while in advance. He'll literally loving call me late in the evening to book a meeting the next morning.
Making it so that if I want to polish up the stuff I have, I suddenly have to drop whatever I was doing that night to wrap things up in time for the meeting.

How utterly loving hard is it to just set a date and time a couple days to a week+ in advance? If you've already got a meeting planned, other people will generally be quite amicable to working around it.
But it seems like this genius of planning just goes 'oh I don't have anything going on those hours tomorrow, seems like it would be a good time for a meeting.'
(Completely disregarding the fact that I have to put in work ahead of them, he does not.)

I infinitely prefer working towards a meeting, and then having it get cancelled or postponed, over just suddenly getting them sprung on me at short notice.
And then he's never got the time to be particularly flexible, other than being able to take it a bit later in the day, or something like that.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer

LargeHadron posted:

Haha, the way you mix your pronouns makes you sound like an incredibly empathetic person

Switching from 1st-person to 2nd-person pronouns while telling a story about oneself indicates a need for emotional distance between the teller and the event, which means the event is painful for the teller.

Source: an X-Files episode involving Dana Scully talking to a therapist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinni
Oct 17, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm a friendly person and like to chat with random people, but its disappointing when getting a new friend request from a dude (or sometimes chick) and I try to make conversation which they then will turn lewd after some feigned small talk and its obvious they just wanted to try to cyber. I just wanted to be friends, drat it.

Also people that bring fussy babies to AA and let them make all kinds of racket when the speaker is trying to tell a heart wrenching tale. I know they need alcoholic support too but please at least take it outside if it starts to bawl or scream. One woman not only brought hers but gave it a dinosaur toy that makes rawring noises. Really? I am trying to detox over here lady. Every monday, that baby is brought again and the cycle continues but I don't want to cause drama by saying anything and facing the wrath of the mom. One day at a time....