Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I see that you did not say you miss ‘driving’ a rotary.

Driving a rotary is the best part about having one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Tremek is my kind of AI.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Powershift posted:

I can't do a static drop because it just barely gets into my garage as is.

The notch at the back is probably tall enough that i could put the stainless steel in the dirt, but the car at that point is only 35.5 inches high, with 12 inches of ground clearance. so with the tires touching the underside of the hood, i could only have ~23 inch tall tires.

It looks loving amazing, but it's drat near low-pros on the stock 15" wheels, which is the smallest you can run because of the size of the rear drums.

I was actually thinking of.....moving in the other direction.

https://www.rbauction.com/michelin-qty-of-2-44565r225-tire-unused?invId=11297700&id=ci&auction=edmonton-ab-2019133

Not going to lie, this is probably one of the coolest cars (with the lowering and all) I've seen on AI. Plenty of room for batteries as well in case you even convert it too electric. :v:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

MrOnBicycle posted:

Not going to lie, this is probably one of the coolest cars (with the lowering and all) I've seen on AI. Plenty of room for batteries as well in case you even convert it too electric. :v:

Mine isn't lowered yet. :(

I have, however, decided what i'm going to do with the engine :getin:

I don't wanna give away too much until i'm fully commited to the swap, but it's gonna be really, really cool if i can pull it off. Possibly the coolest thing ever.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Jun 23, 2019

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Terrible Robot posted:

Even if you drive it once a year between engine-out operations it's still all worth it

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Does the tow truck driver generally let you ride in the car on the way to the mechanic or does he make you sit in the cab?

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Rhyno posted:

Does the tow truck driver generally let you ride in the car on the way to the mechanic or does he make you sit in the cab?

FC #1: In the tow truck cab.
FC #2: In the car - steering lock didn't work.
FB #1: In the car - no room in the tow truck.
FB #2: In the tow truck cab.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
The professional move is "Hello AAA? Send me a flatbed, my car needs to go to the mechanic, I'm going to go have some beers while y'all do that" but I've never not ridden in the cab of a tow truck in the event it was necessary.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

MrOnBicycle posted:

To be honest, you don't have to get the $1k+ packages to get the goodness of coatings. 95% of the price is the correction of the paint (that also does 95% of the "wow" from how coatings look). On a daily driver that is bound to get brushed up against, leaned on, get small dings etc you could just slap on something like CQuartz UK 3.0 that will last years if properly maintained, but won't be a nightmare to remove. It kinda depends on what you want to get out of the coating. If it's just the easy cleaning, and you don't care about some swirls here and there, you could slap a coating on there and enjoy it. :)

Honestly I would start with a good wash and clay bar, then apply this:

https://www.amazon.com/Detailing-Pr...ps%2C213&sr=1-2

Takes more applications per year but it's super easy to apply. If that doesn't satisfy you, start looking at ceramic coating.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Powershift posted:

I don't wanna give away too much until i'm fully commited to the swap, but it's gonna be really, really cool if i can pull it off. Possibly the coolest thing ever.

Terrible Robot posted:

:dance:

Gasoline
Jul 31, 2008
How many rotaries would you have to stack to get enough torque to get that beast moving though

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

But the point is to Improve fuel economy over the 8mpg the 460 is currently getting.

Gasoline posted:

How many rotaries would you have to stack to get enough torque to get that beast moving though

The bigger question is how big of a gas tank.

What i'm looking at is a V6 with a rather unique power adder. If i can pull it off, I think i could be looking at 600hp and 30mpg for around the cost of an intake manifold and EFI system for the 460.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

KakerMix posted:

:hmmyes:

While it isn't nearly as shiny, I did just end up buying this:

The longer I look at that the weirder it looks to me.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

https://www.facebook.com/streetfx/videos/337092720550702/?t=71

This year was the first time I had attended this event and it was fun! I had been skeptical before but there were a LOT of killer cars out there and people were all really pleasant.

Would like to go back again next year, maybe with a car that's running better (it did not handle heat soak well even on a cold day, and the tune probably needs to be adapted for the altitude.)

ps probably the best photo I took was of that Trackhawk while we stood around queued up during a break.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Tremek posted:

Picked up the wagon from a shop that specializes in ceramic coatings. This is the cleanest this car will be for the rest of its life.

Bonus find: hey, these wheels are gloss, not matte!

I wonder if it would look better (to me, subjective obviously) with smaller wheels/more tire. Something about the body/ride height/rubber band tire ratio is just a little off to me. It might just be because it's a lowered wagon, I dunno.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I can only nitpick that it's a bit too low for me and those tires wouldn't do well here in pothole hellscape but otherwise I think it's awesome. :swoon:

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

So far they seem to be surviving okay here. They're forged and $$$$ (thanks, PO) but knock on wood, avoiding road damage thus far has yielded undamaged wheels and tires.

If I had done the mods I probably would have stayed with 19s. On that note I need to keep an eye out for a set that will fit for winter tires.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Rhyno posted:

Weird, but I've never had an RX-7 strand me.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

McTinkerson posted:

FC #1: In the tow truck cab.
FC #2: In the car - steering lock didn't work.
FB #1: In the car - no room in the tow truck.
FB #2: In the tow truck cab.

Which FB was the white supremacist driver, the last one?

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

Needed a luxobarge for long distance trips, managed to find a real weird one.

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

Tremek's wagon has paid off in "but its bagged" arguments alone over the years

Best modern car because there was that one goon with the fuckin mint air cooled whale tail

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

thechalkoutline posted:

Tremek's wagon has paid off in "but its bagged" arguments alone over the years

Best modern car because there was that one goon with the fuckin mint air cooled whale tail

Just in case I'm reading this in a way that could create confusion, I'm not the dude on here that bags those stanced Allroads on huge wheels. I do not have the stink of VAG fanboi upon me, sir.

ps as far as I know my wagon just has KW coilovers up front and lowering links to trick the OEM airbags out back to sit lower. And huge fuckoff wheels.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Tremek posted:

Just in case I'm reading this in a way that could create confusion, I'm not the dude on here that bags those stanced Allroads on huge wheels. I do not have the stink of VAG fanboi upon me, sir.

ps as far as I know my wagon just has KW coilovers up front and lowering links to trick the OEM airbags out back to sit lower. And huge fuckoff wheels.

Yeah that's DropShadow with all the Avants. (link is to their posts in this thread)

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

Ohhh right mb, no defense against the haters then.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

clutchpuck posted:

Yeah, I regret selling my '83 GSL and '84 GSL-SE. I will never sell this '85 GS.

I'll have the code on a public github repo. I'm focusing on prep for a 500 mile off-grid dirt bike ride now but after that I am going to start cobbling together hardware for my CAN. AEM makes a thing like I'm working on; a whole CAN bus digital dash set up for carbureted cars.

Cool, I'd like to follow the development of that. Sounds interesting!

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I see that you did not say you miss ‘driving’ a rotary.

Heh. I have 5 RX-7s currently, myself.

Terrible Robot posted:

Yes, but it's also the hardest part to achieve.

Powershift posted:

Mine isn't lowered yet. :(

I have, however, decided what i'm going to do with the engine :getin:

Voting V12, bonus for diesel.

Powershift posted:

What i'm looking at is a V6 with a rather unique power adder. If i can pull it off, I think i could be looking at 600hp and 30mpg for around the cost of an intake manifold and EFI system for the 460.

Well, now I'm just confused. And possibly aroused.

Grakkus posted:

Needed a luxobarge for long distance trips, managed to find a real weird one.

French spaceships are always welcome.

Hopefully in a couple weeks I should have an actual new-to-me car to add to the thread rather than shitposting.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Powershift posted:

I'm afraid I'm going to need to know more.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Q_res posted:

I'm afraid I'm going to need to know more.

I'm combining my computer experience with the one glaring extremely unique facet of this particular car.

This probably gives away the whole shebang, but the plan is for the vanity plate to read RAID-0

I climbed in an out every nook and cranny of the car with a measuring tape today. Unrelated measurements for down the road: i could lay the frame on the ground with ~25 inch tall tires, at which point the car would only be 45 inches tall, giving it the width and height of the current Ford GT

Also, what i thought were spark arresters were actually itty bitty mini mufflers about half an inch bigger in diameter than the exhaust pipe itself.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Jun 25, 2019

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

RAID-0... So it will fail in half the MTBF?

Congrats on your new BMW powerplant.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Tremek posted:

RAID-0... So it will fail in half the MTBF?

Congrats on your new BMW powerplant.

Pretty much.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")
"okay so what if we made a v12 hemi, but make it so that it's two v6s, and one of them turns off"

Honestly, kinda genius in the mad scientist way.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Darchangel posted:

French spaceships are always welcome.

Citroens are the best and I especially love industrial design decisions that go like:

"NO NO NO WE NEED MORE GREEN HOUSE CUT BELOW THE BELTLINE"

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Powershift posted:

I can't do a static drop because it just barely gets into my garage as is.

The notch at the back is probably tall enough that i could put the stainless steel in the dirt, but the car at that point is only 35.5 inches high, with 12 inches of ground clearance. so with the tires touching the underside of the hood, i could only have ~23 inch tall tires.

It looks loving amazing, but it's drat near low-pros on the stock 15" wheels, which is the smallest you can run because of the size of the rear drums.

I was actually thinking of.....moving in the other direction.

https://www.rbauction.com/michelin-qty-of-2-44565r225-tire-unused?invId=11297700&id=ci&auction=edmonton-ab-2019133

This is terrific. You know how Beetles have a little vase for a flower? You need dash-mounted holster for your pimp cane.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

"okay so what if we made a v12 hemi, but make it so that it's two v6s, and one of them turns off"

If you got 52 inches from the firewall to the rad support, why wouldn't you.

getting into shopping for them, the FWD ford 3.7s have a chain driven water pump, so i wouldn't even need to run a belt on the rear engine.

1 5.0 out of a pickup is 387hp, 302 cubic inches, and $5000 for a low mileage motor.
2 Ford 3.7s out of cop cars would be 2x305hp, 454 cubic inches, and $2000 for a pair.

The FWD 3.7s run the water pump off the timing chain, so i wouldn't even need a belt on the rear engine. The road block i'm running in to is the Fords use a PCM that controls everything that has almost no support, and the FWD bolt pattern is different than the RWD, which leads me to...

2 GM LFX 3.6s. 2x321hp, FWD engines bolt to RWD transmissions easier, and they are far more plentiful, and it uses a stand alone ECM which has aftermarket support. I'm thinking i could get a mantrans front engine, and keep the clutch depressed to deactivate the front 6 cylinders. but that would mean removing an engine to change a serpentine belt. If i can find a cheap colorado engine for the rear one, it could theoretically run as a V4, V6, or V12.

It's loving wild that you can get a 30k mile 3.6 liter engine for less than the price of a carb replacement EFI system.

I'll hopefully be running up to LKQ tomorrow to get some measurements off their engines on the shelf, but i think this is happening.

blk posted:

This is terrific. You know how Beetles have a little vase for a flower? You need dash-mounted holster for your pimp cane.

Okay, shopping list. 4 air bags, 2 engines, 1 transmission, 15 pairs of sunglasses and a pimp cane.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Powershift posted:

Okay, shopping list. 4 air bags, 2 engines, 1 transmission, 15 pairs of sunglasses and a pimp cane.

Hit it.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Those GM 3.6s are known for stretching timing chains. You have been warned

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Tremek posted:

Those GM 3.6s are known for stretching timing chains. You have been warned

And the failure mode for the timing chain driven water pump fords is to dump coolant into the oil pan. Nissan VQ engines have timing chain driven water pumps too, but they dump out a weep hole and they're twice the price from wreckers. 2 370z VQ37VHRs would be dope, a 7500rpm 451 cubic in v12.

Row52 shows pick-n-pull is getting 2012 Impalas and Pentastar Caravans, so i'm gonna check those out before i start talking to scrappers.

Still leaning chevy because there are adapter plates to run SBC transmissions behind the V6s. Most of the chevys have power steering pumps too, most fords were EPAS

How many of gods laws would i be breaking if i put one Chrysler and one Chevy engine in a Ford product?

Powershift fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Jun 25, 2019

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Punch it, Chewie!

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

An actual v12 would make it a better car. That still ranks high on the automotive insanity scale.

Frankensteins fail more than they succeed and your land barge is too cool to just rot away. $0.02!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Tremek posted:

An actual v12 would make it a better car. That still ranks high on the automotive insanity scale.

Frankensteins fail more than they succeed and your land barge is too cool to just rot away. $0.02!

But most affordable V12s kind of suck. 300hp and 12mpg and stepper motor throttle bodies and jaguar.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jun 25, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

So, a modern cylinder deactivation GMC Twin-Six?
I'm on board with this. Another V6 would indeed be a unique power adder for a V6.

Powershift posted:

If you got 52 inches from the firewall to the rad support, why wouldn't you.

getting into shopping for them, the FWD ford 3.7s have a chain driven water pump, so i wouldn't even need to run a belt on the rear engine.

1 5.0 out of a pickup is 387hp, 302 cubic inches, and $5000 for a low mileage motor.
2 Ford 3.7s out of cop cars would be 2x305hp, 454 cubic inches, and $2000 for a pair.

The FWD 3.7s run the water pump off the timing chain, so i wouldn't even need a belt on the rear engine. The road block i'm running in to is the Fords use a PCM that controls everything that has almost no support, and the FWD bolt pattern is different than the RWD, which leads me to...

2 GM LFX 3.6s. 2x321hp, FWD engines bolt to RWD transmissions easier, and they are far more plentiful, and it uses a stand alone ECM which has aftermarket support. I'm thinking i could get a mantrans front engine, and keep the clutch depressed to deactivate the front 6 cylinders. but that would mean removing an engine to change a serpentine belt. If i can find a cheap colorado engine for the rear one, it could theoretically run as a V4, V6, or V12.

It's loving wild that you can get a 30k mile 3.6 liter engine for less than the price of a carb replacement EFI system.

I'll hopefully be running up to LKQ tomorrow to get some measurements off their engines on the shelf, but i think this is happening.

Holy poo poo, this is real? I will drive up to Canada to see this when you are done. After all, you came down to Texas on the Power Tour a few years ago (that was you I met, right? I'm not misremembering that?)

BTW, there's a dude who put one of the Ford 3.7s in a second-gen RX-7. It worked out fairly well, but he did discover some of those FWD vs. RWD difference you start to mention above, since he used a FWD version. I want to say he's using a Ford ECU that's been tuned, but I'm not sure - I'd have to look.

edit: yes, he used a factory PMU tuned by HP Tuners to remove PATS, etc. and allow for boost. His is the engine and 6-speed auto from a Mustang. A different guy in the same thread on RX7Club had the FWD issues, and is using a MegaSquirt, I believe.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jun 25, 2019