Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Groovelord Neato posted:

amber's take was pretty bad.

Once I got into an argument w/Amber and maybe Matt Binder on twitter over doing unpaid art for contests in the context of being a high schooler entering your work into the county or state fair.

THAT was a labor issue to her, but this isn’t? I just want to know when posting drunk became legal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

You guys can post for pages, I still don’t give a poo poo about red scare

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..

Apoplexy posted:

I hope some dude you know from work asks you if he can jack off in front of you and then you say yes and then regret it to the point of destroying their career later.

Not sure why this is a common take when I'm fairly sure the whole controversy started when he cornered a woman in her dressing room and jacked off in front of her without any consent given.

The only person I recall saying they gave consent to this sort of act was Sarah Silverman.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

selec posted:

Once I got into an argument w/Amber and maybe Matt Binder on twitter over doing unpaid art for contests in the context of being a high schooler entering your work into the county or state fair.

THAT was a labor issue to her, but this isn’t? I just want to know when posting drunk became legal.

Given how screwed artists can get from just being uncredited or having their income dangled in front in the form of "exposure" and all, not to mention the Red Scare hosts are artists, I believe that particular situation would have been far, far more personal to her than this one.

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

What if we compromise and send Louis to prison and then let him do shows after

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Le Saboteur posted:

Not sure why this is a common take when I'm fairly sure the whole controversy started when he cornered a woman in her dressing room and jacked off in front of her without any consent given.

The only person I recall saying they gave consent to this sort of act was Sarah Silverman.

Laura Silverman, I think. They had previously dated, and he did it a couple times during a car ride.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Oh dope guess the new episode came ou- oh it's red scare

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Le Saboteur posted:

Because that never happened. It was a fabrication of the whisper network's game of telephone about Louis CK and his actions. The only people who've come forth with allegations against him that they personally experienced were all 'he asked if he could', one of which was the duo of female comedians who thought he was joking, agreed, and then he did and they were like 'omg who knew saying yes meant anything?!'

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

because who would take "can i jack off in front of you" as a serious request? it's loving bizarre.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..

Apoplexy posted:

Because that never happened. It was a fabrication of the whisper network's game of telephone about Louis CK and his actions. The only people who've come forth with allegations against him that they personally experienced were all 'he asked if he could', one of which was the duo of female comedians who thought he was joking, agreed, and then he did and they were like 'omg who knew saying yes meant anything?!'

Neither of these incidents one which you make reference to appear to have consent given.

quote:

These included comedy duo Dana Min Goodman and Julia Wolov, who said that they had been invited to C.K.'s hotel room during the US Comedy Arts Festival in 2002, where he had asked permission to masturbate in front of them, then proceeded to ejaculate on his stomach before receiving an answer. They ran out of the room laughing. Comedian Abby Schachner said that, during a 2003 phone call, C.K. had complimented her appearance and then audibly started to masturbate.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Kunster posted:

Given how screwed artists can get from just being uncredited or having their income dangled in front in the form of "exposure" and all, not to mention the Red Scare hosts are artists, I believe that particular situation would have been far, far more personal to her than this one.

'im a very involved leftist when its an issue that effects me but otherwise im very irony poisoned' basically sums Red Scare up.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Also 'it's dumb to frame 'should management take workers seriously when they say they don't want to work with someone who's an unrepentant sexual offender' as a labor issue' only works if you're the kinda weird academic/artistic type that probably doesn't see the non famous comic as a genuine worker.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Le Saboteur posted:

Neither of these incidents one which you make reference to appear to have consent given.

Never heard that part, that he did it without receiving affirmation of consent. Pretty bad, then. I was misinformed.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

slicing up eyeballs posted:

make him do shows in prison like the seinfeld finale

PopZeus
Aug 11, 2010

I think this is a big part of it. He’s rich enough to just lay low for a while and famous enough that he can get gigs still, so it doesn’t really feel like any justice was served or that he’s repentant really beyond getting caught.

PopZeus fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jun 24, 2019

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

PopZeus posted:

I think this is a big part of it. He’s rich enough to just lay low for a while and famous enough that he can get gigs still, so it doesn’t really feel like any justice was served or that he’s at a repentant really beyond getting caught.

yea that's another reason the 'oh so you think no one ever arrested for sexual offenses should work????' is so bullshit, you can absolutely argue that post-judgement yea anyone should be entitled to a second chance, but the idea that he's been somehow punished already because she spent like, what a couple months not getting work while being rich as poo poo already is insane. Again it can really only come from a place of not understanding that the person saying 'it makes me feel unsafe to work with an unrepentant sex criminal' is actually a worker.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Analogizing a celebrity having their career suffer to an ordinary person being made unemployable is something you'd only say if you were completely out of touch.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
if you are hoping to have, and keep, some form of celebrity it's important that being cancelled doesn't limit future job prospects.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Are you saying the President of the DSA has a class position which aligns his material interests with rich pieces of poo poo instead of ordinary people? Huh.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
I was thinking more about the red scare triune goddess.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
watching people mistake hating brooklynites for politics owns so loving hard

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

watching people mistake hating brooklynites for politics owns so loving hard

It's great yeah, love that everything has to be about new york at all times

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i like jake and i hope he doesn't drink himself to death

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_8KR-n2fBQ

Ross DaouThot
Aug 31, 2018

when i hit that loud and open cspam the adam curtis music starts playing

Dimebags Brain posted:

You guys can post for pages, I still don’t give a poo poo about red scare

uhmm, next i bet you’re gonna say you don’t like the ingraham nagle either?? do u have a probablem with women in leftist discourse?

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

It's great yeah, love that everything has to be about new york at all times

it is going to rule in fifteen years when Amber has gone full circle, her politics are exclusively about sticking it to those goddamned campus libs, and she's suing some adjunct for calling her a dumb bitch at a faculty meeting

how did that story ever end, anyway. I assume the prof suing her had his lawsuit thrown out?

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

I was talking to a friend about colleges recently. One thing that came up is how will the gen z and later generations go to college if their parents and grandparents are poor or in debt because of college and stagnant wages? Will we soon be seeing a no-college generation? There's no more money left to scam out of the middle and lower classes, just debt. Will banks just keep giving out loans that will never be paid forever?

Is there an episode that talks about this?

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
You will receive loans for percentages of your future earnings.

Ross DaouThot
Aug 31, 2018

when i hit that loud and open cspam the adam curtis music starts playing
also, to the chris haters- he may be too normie to be funny around the dry boys, but he’s the kind of normie i respect and furthermore he won the chapo gently caress-a-fan contest fair and square

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Ross DaouThot posted:

also, to the chris haters- he may be too normie to be funny around the dry boys, but he’s the kind of normie i respect and furthermore he won the chapo gently caress-a-fan contest fair and square

his seething hatred of the pod save boys is also pure and good

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

The Skeleton King posted:

I was talking to a friend about colleges recently. One thing that came up is how will the gen z and later generations go to college if their parents and grandparents are poor or in debt because of college and stagnant wages? Will we soon be seeing a no-college generation? There's no more money left to scam out of the middle and lower classes, just debt. Will banks just keep giving out loans that will never be paid forever?
Banks love consigning people to debt peonage for their entire lives. Nonetheless, I'm not an economist but higher education as an institution seems totally unsustainable at this point.

This isn't a problem for Silicon Valley because they are already making inroads toward replacing the public school system with private tech schools under their control.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-

The Skeleton King posted:

Is there an episode that talks about this?

I guess they will continue to issue loans that everyone secretly knows will never be repaid, while hustling to fraudulently dump them on some other sucker-rear end bank, until they can't fake it anymore and the bubble bursts catastrophically, just like the 2008 crash?

I guess the only question that raises is that, while the market then ostensibly recouped some of its losses by foreclosing on a shitload of homes and making people homeless, what will they do when the asset produced by the loans is not a physical product, but instead "people who have higher education," the monetary value of which is contingent on future earning potential, and actual wages/salaries? How does that work in a hollowed and burned out economy? I guess that leads us to this:

papa horny michael posted:

You will receive loans for percentages of your future earnings.

So yeah look forward to debt peonage

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
This is why you should major in STEM, unlike all those special snowflake millennial idiots who don't get to spend their lives chained to Immortan Joe's dune buggy.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Kunster posted:

I look forward to the episode in like a few months when Bhakskar Sunkara gets another solo interview with Amber to suddenly remember a story on how someone called the UK Immigration Service on his home and recalls taking care of the agents with his on the spot rhetoric and word finesse, doing more about it than his twitter critics.

Are you okay?

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Peep this ratio

https://twitter.com/thirdwaytweet/status/1143214114791182336?s=21

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Peep this: Turd Way

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Shut up, Wesley

WorkerThread
Feb 15, 2012

the comedy + politics discourse sucks real bad

e: why is it attracting so many galaxy-brained takes from a certain crowd?

WorkerThread fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jun 25, 2019

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Ross DaouThot posted:

Chris hasn't really had much opportunity to shine like when The Traitor Brendan did that intro where he impersonated everyone else so he kind of just comes off as White Virgil, but he's good in his actual role of making the shows listenable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
Did someone mention something about a Chapo livestream commentary of the Democratic primary debate?