Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

happy naked hiking day :butt:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Not for me, like six inches of snow dropped overnight at Banff and the whole region is a slushy winter wonderland.

It's gorgeous, and I've done a number of 45 minute strolls through the day but all of them have been while fully clothed.

Really messed up my planned hikes but it's also still real fun.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Looking for hiking boot recommendations. I don't actually do much proper hiking, I'm just looking for something comfortable with more support and durability than sneakers. I'm in Texas so keeping my feet warm will rarely be an issue. I've got big size 13 clown feet (one of which is flat), are there any brands / models I can start taking a look at at Dicks Sporting Goods or similar?

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Is there a good place to start my research on hiking with an 18 month old? I've taken my daughter on a few local hikes in the woods in our Deuter Kid Comfort 3 (bought used, but worth every penny even if it was bought new). Thing is I have to balance the time she's in the carrier and were covering distance vs. getting her out so she can exercise her legs and not get bored. Not really figured out the best way there, I stopped about every 1.5km last time. This has lead me to wonder if there's more I don't know.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Takes No Damage posted:

Looking for hiking boot recommendations. I don't actually do much proper hiking, I'm just looking for something comfortable with more support and durability than sneakers. I'm in Texas so keeping my feet warm will rarely be an issue. I've got big size 13 clown feet (one of which is flat), are there any brands / models I can start taking a look at at Dicks Sporting Goods or similar?

Merrell Moab Ventilators are definitely a go-to recommendation.

That being said, check out trail runners instead of boots. They are generally more comfortable and come in many different varieties.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Internet Explorer posted:

Merrell Moab Ventilators are definitely a go-to recommendation.

That being said, check out trail runners instead of boots. They are generally more comfortable and come in many different varieties.

I've had terrible luck with Merrells and Keens with that particular toe box construction. I consistently (4 pairs now) have had the stitching and glue come undone where the toe rubber meets the cloth/leather part of the upper way too quickly. My current pair blew out after only 3-4 months of (non winter) use. I'm personally a "never again" until they use tougher thread for that stitch.

I can take pictures if you'd like (will do eventually to tweet at them).

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I've owned three pairs of those as daily shoes over six years and never had a toebox give out from use. I did have the rubber tear on one pair because I scuffed it on some lava rock in Iceland though.. which to me is a worst case scenario.

Not saying your issues are invalid but maybe we just inflict different torture on them. :shrug:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Bilirubin posted:

I've had terrible luck with Merrells and Keens with that particular toe box construction. I consistently (4 pairs now) have had the stitching and glue come undone where the toe rubber meets the cloth/leather part of the upper way too quickly. My current pair blew out after only 3-4 months of (non winter) use. I'm personally a "never again" until they use tougher thread for that stitch.

I can take pictures if you'd like (will do eventually to tweet at them).

That sucks to hear, but I am not particularly interested in pictures. I have a pair and they've held up well. They seem well-liked by the thread and I see them absolutely everywhere when I'm hiking. The person said they don't really do much hiking, so I'm not sure a recommendation needs to be any more complicated than that.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Takes No Damage posted:

Finding a good outdoor recreation store where you can try on a variety of shoes and have some sort of return/exchange policy is of course critical. Dicks is good, REI is great, it just depends on what's nearby.

I'd suggest a pair of low- or mid-top boots, preferably one that is expressly for summer hiking (winter boots have less aeration and softer treads that are better for snow but don't last as long), and from an actual outdoor sports brand (so not Skechers). I've got a pair of Oboz Firebrands that I absolutely love for exactly this sort of usage. But there's a wide variety of good options, so I wouldn't worry too much about getting the group consensus shoe.

https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/hiking-boots.html

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Does anyone know a good way to trade gear? I have an Osprey Radial 34 backpack that's way too big and I want to trade it for a smaller pack.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I've had several pairs of Moabs over the years, but I can't say I would recommend them. Moabs are like skate shoes; big, soft, pillowy insides that are good for walking on streets but don't provide great support for hiking, especially with a pack weighing more than a few pounds. I also think they changed the footbed recently and my last pair are noticeably less comfortable. They're overall 'fine' but if you're going to be spending that much already you may as well drop a few more :10bux: and get something better. Check out La Sportiva Wildcats (not the 2.0), they're trailrunners with a good amount of padding in the heel and excellent ventilation. If you want a more boot-style boot with waterproofing check out the Salomon Ultra 3 GTX Mid (they also make a lowtop version).

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Hi. I'm here again to talk about beautiful, leather boots. I've had my current pair of Zamberlans for about 8-9 years now and for a good portion of that time they were my daily wear footwear. I've had them resoled once in that time (was $60 CAD). I live in BC on the coast and am used to hiking in wet weather, through streams, for multi-day hikes. Also in the snow in snow shoes. I can count on one hand the time amount of times my feet have been wet from the outside. The only time they got really wet I was hiking through thigh high wet grass for hours and I was soaked from the waist down.

I treat them semi-frequently with snoseal or other wax. They are incredibly comfortable.

Last year I decided to take some trail runners (saucony peregrines) on a two week hike. I realize it was kind of silly to just jump into them like that, but I often wore them on day hikes. After less than a week they were wearing out considerably and were much less comfortable than my hiking boots.

I do like my trail runners if it's just a day hike. Especially with steep, more technical terrain because I feel a lot more agile in them. Leather boots are wonderful, comfy tanks though and will last you decades if you treat them right.

Mopp
Oct 29, 2004

I'm looking for shoe recommendations, currently using a pair of high boots weighing in at 1.2 kg each but am willing to try the trail-runner route. The boots are awesome, but I want to cut weight. I usually do multi-day hikes with around 15 kg of gear so nothing UL.

As for shoes, these are my criteria:
1. Light, around 500 g each maximum.
2. Large and wide toebox. I have large wide feet and anything narrow won't fit.
3. No Gore-Tex. I prefer letting the shoes/boots dry out themselves by just changing socks.

Anyone having any recommendations?

I've tried the following:
  • Altra Lone Peak 4: it fits well but feels too soft. Can't imagine it will handle rocky terrain with a heavy pack.
  • La Sportiva Spire GTX: mostly good, feels a bit too narrow, might be able to break it in but I don't know about how the GTX membrane will stretch (also I'd prefer something not having GTX).
  • Salomon PRO 3D WIDE: just a bad shape.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Did the AT with an average weight of 35 lb in 3 pairs of Saucony Peregrines. I have dumb wide feet and they were great. Light, dry quick, and if you throw out the insole and put in a green superfeet they’ll handle any abuse you throw at it.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

George H.W. oval office posted:

Did the AT with an average weight of 35 lb.

Including water? Keep in mind I'm the sort of person who praises people who don't go overboard on ultralighting.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Heners_UK posted:

Including water? Keep in mind I'm the sort of person who praises people who don't go overboard on ultralighting.

I carried maybe a liter at a time and filled up at the many springs. Mostly the weight was food since I tended to pack 7-10 days so I didn't have to deal with going into town. I think my heaviest was leaving Gorham, NH with 50lb and I wanted to die.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Mopp posted:

I'm looking for shoe recommendations, currently using a pair of high boots weighing in at 1.2 kg each but am willing to try the trail-runner route. The boots are awesome, but I want to cut weight. I usually do multi-day hikes with around 15 kg of gear so nothing UL.

3. No Gore-Tex. I prefer letting the shoes/boots dry out themselves by just changing socks.

• Altra Lone Peak 4: it fits well but feels too soft. Can't imagine it will handle rocky terrain with a heavy pack.
  • La Sportiva Spire GTX: mostly good, feels a bit too narrow, might be able to break it in but I don't know about how the GTX membrane will stretch (also I'd prefer something not having GTX).

Altra and Topo are good bets if you need a wide toebox. If you liked the fit of the Lone Peak, the Timp 1.5 has a similar fit with a bit more cushion/protection. It's become my mainstay for hiking in the Northeast (nothin' but rocks) and ultramarathons.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Mopp posted:

If the la sportivas fit generally well but you need a wider toebox and no goretex, try the TX2/3 approach shoes. Counter to what you would expect from an approach shoe I found the toebox wider than their trail runners.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Skye update. It's awesome here. We're headed out to the Storr and the Quiraing shortly. My original plan was a bit ambitious for a 9 year old so we're toning it back. Looking like loch coruisk tomorrow then back to Edinburgh.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Mopp posted:

I spent ages looking for comfy hiking footwear with a wide toebox and the only ones which consistently feld good were the Meindl "comfort fit" ones (not any of their other models, just the ones with "comfort fit" branding. I don't think they are super high tech and aren't a bargin but mine feel pretty well built and most come in non-goretex versions. You can see their current models here:
https://meindl.de/model-filter/?pa_filter-fussform=comfort-fit&lang=en

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Yooper posted:

Skye update. It's awesome here. We're headed out to the Storr and the Quiraing shortly. My original plan was a bit ambitious for a 9 year old so we're toning it back. Looking like loch coruisk tomorrow then back to Edinburgh.

It's great we had an amazing time there. The drive to Elgol and boat to Loch Coruisk was one of the highlights of our whole trip to Scotland.
This short walk to the sea was very pleasant, nothing spectacular but a nice break from the crowds at Storr, should be fine with a 9 year old and they will enjoy all the sheep:

https://goo.gl/maps/XZ37NtCGwRLnq1df9

You might find the Quiraing a bit scary with a young kid, it would be OK but there are so many people and it's a narrow, heavily eroded path.

distortion park fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Jun 25, 2019

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010
Went up to Low Divide in the Olympics. Very cool place

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I took two friends on a quick overnight to Lake Lillian in the Cascades, one of which was his first backpacking trip ever. I've done this hike before so I knew the hike and had a very specific campsite in mind. For me, it hit the sweet spot balancing out the amount of suffering, scenery and solitude. I figured the payoff was pretty rewarding given the lack of effort needed to get there.

When I checked the forecast before we left, 0% chance of rain saturday and 10% chance of rain sunday evening. What the forecast didn't tell me at the time was that we would literally be camped within a cloud the entire time. At one point, visibility was below 50' and I couldn't see the other guys bright orange tent which was close enough to throw a rock at. It kind of cleared out a few times so you could see across the lake, some of the surrounding peaks etc but then it would just fog in again. Luckily we got a fire started pretty early because it got pretty humid/damp and cold once the sun started going down and the wind picked up. I dont have a fire very often while backpacking and its incredible how much comfort it brings. I had some cheese, avocado and tapatillo quesadillas that I grilled over the fire with some bendy sticks that I fashioned into a spatula roaster type thing. Also weird that due to the heavy cloud coverage/fog, it looked exactly the same at 11am as it did around 10pm before the sun must have gone down.

Next morning we woke up to pattering of rain on our tents so I ate a banana and started packing up everything I could within the dry coverage of my tent (including the tent). I just left my rainfly and poles attached so that I could pack up as much as possible in a dry space. Also, despite whatever the forecast says, I'll never leave my rain jacket behind again. The 15 year old vinyl poncho I keep in my truck was a short lived escape from the rain. But also, I might switch to a real poncho vs a jacket now. It was nice to be able to cover my pack and it actually kept me dryer than a jacket that could soak through.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

pointsofdata posted:

It's great we had an amazing time there. The drive to Elgol and boat to Loch Coruisk was one of the highlights of our whole trip to Scotland.
This short walk to the sea was very pleasant, nothing spectacular but a nice break from the crowds at Storr, should be fine with a 9 year old and they will enjoy all the sheep:

https://goo.gl/maps/XZ37NtCGwRLnq1df9

You might find the Quiraing a bit scary with a young kid, it would be OK but there are so many people and it's a narrow, heavily eroded path.

Thanks man! Unfortunately I saw your post after we'd passed by. The Storr was totally shrouded in mist, but the kid liked the climb. Quiraing was packed but visible, though the kid didn't like the trail so we spent time finding dinosaur foot prints in staffin. Then Duntulm and now I'm waiting for the bag pipers in Portree. Loch Coruisk hike tomorrow. Skye is pretty awesome.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Jealous of your kid, I couldn't persuade my partner to do any fossil hunting.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!

pointsofdata posted:

Jealous of your kid, I couldn't persuade my partner to do any fossil hunting.

Sever.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Boring post, but I did an exercise hike Friday, carried extra water up. 4300ft 2.6mi one way. I think I was very dehydrated because it took me 24--36hr before I had enough energy to stay awake for more than a few hours.

PhantomOfTheCopier fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jul 1, 2019

ploots
Mar 19, 2010

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

Boring post, but I did an exercise hike Friday, carried extra water up. 4300ft 2.6mi one way. I think I was very dehydrated because it took me 24--36hr before I had enough energy to stay awake for more than a few hours.

Mailbox?

Are you training for something in particular?

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Electoral Surgery posted:

Mailbox?

Are you training for something in particular?
Not yet. It's just been a while since I did Mailbox and one of my friends goes there (too often) so it was good timing. I've also done Si twice this year, which is rare because I avoid the new trail and there are nicer places to go.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Two nights of cycling between pissing rain and warm sun (and frost on the tent in the morning), Assiniboine agreed to show itself on the second sunset.

Place owns, definitely would hike again. I always forget how rad strangers are to talk to when you're in hard to get to spots.

edit - added bonus, in our hotel waiting for flight tomorrow, tent draped all over the bathroom trying to dry it out. :ssh:

xzzy fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jul 8, 2019

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Got out this weekend to summit lake which is supposed to have great views of Rainier. Last trip, clouds and fog settled in tight and prevented us from seeing across the lake let alone the surrounding peaks of the cascades. This trip was more of the same just a different area. I've done another hike nearby and the views were incredible but we got none of those this weekend.

lovely part, I woke up to being cold and having a sore hip and shoulder because my sleeping pad developed a slow leak. It lasted about an hour or two before flatting and I would have to inflate again. Made for lovely sleep. I'll have to put it in my tub to find the leak and hope to patch it up.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Loch Coruisk

Loch Coruisk looking back the other way

Quiraing. The mist was so thick at The Storr that one could see about 15 feet. We still hiked as high as we could but saw nothing.

Dun Beag. Hiking out to the various broch's was awesome. The kid really enjoyed it.

A different broch near Trumpan. Not nearly as well preserved as Dun Beag, but still a cool hike.

Skye was really great, though we underestimated how long it takes to get places. Between that and jet lag the hiking plans were scaled back. Loch Coruisk was really amazing and we had perfect weather. Edinburgh was cool to see but the Old Town was filled with tourists. We found out later the Queen was in town that day so that might explain the people.

The only bad experience we had was a Chinese tourist who bullied my wife out of his selfie shot. We just let him be so we didn't make a scene. Had some schadenfreude later when he fell off the National Monument of Scotland right onto his rear end and the whole crowd laughed at him. The obnoxious tourist thing seemed to be mostly the Chinese crowd, glad to see the US didn't take the medal for that one.

All the locals we met on Skye were super awesome. We saw a woman who had just hit and killed a stag with her car. We stopped to help but she was more interested in how our holiday was and what we thought of Skye. The hiking opportunities were endless there. It took some getting used to that one could just walk nearly anywhere on sheeps paths and such. One week wasn't nearly enough time.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

I have finally decided to stop being lazy and move pics off my phone from last month's road trip.

First was Yellowstone.

Grand Canyon of Yellowstone

Mammoth Hot Springs

It was windy the day we went to Grand Prismatic so this is the best we could see

Breakfast buddy

Salmon Lake

Next stop, Glacier.

Walking to pay for our spot and saw this sneaky guy.

The weather wasn't great so we left after a day. :(

Finally, Great Basin.

The closest we could get to Wheeler without hiking as the road still was closed due to snow.

And of course Lehman Cave tour.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
I have, in the last 2 days, had 2 Grand Trunk hammocks rip seam-to-seam on me and dump my rear end on the ground in the middle of the night. I am no small dude, but WELL under the weight rating of these products, so not sure what is happening. I've been using hammocks for several years now without issue, so this is quite alarming.

Can ripstop nylon suffer from dry-rot?

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
Were you wearing the same clothes? got a sharp rivet or something on your pants?

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
One night was a pair of gym shorts and empty pockets. The trees are a little farther apart than usual so the hammock was quite taut, but nothing extreme. I'm thinking the fabric was damaged by storing in the stuff sacs going to start storing my hammocks unfurled from now on. Still very odd two in two days.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
Yeah that's pretty weird. Nylon does age, mostly in exposure to direct sunlight but I'd figure that would take years.

Oakland Martini
Feb 14, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
THE APARTHEID ACADEMIC

It's important that institutions never take a stance like "genocide is bad". Now get out there and crack some of my students' skulls.
I just got back from a short hiking trip around the Scottish highlands. It is amazing how much incredibly scenery there is a short drive from Glasgow or Edinburgh. I had some bad weather for part of the trip so I didn't get to do two of the hikes I was really looking forward to (An Teallach and Ben Nevis), but still managed to get in 80km of hiking (and at least 4000m of ascent) in 5 days. These three hikes were the highlights:

Sgor Gaoith, Cairngorms National Park

Ben Eighe, Torridon

Buchaille Etive Mor, Glencoe

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
EDIT: taking the question to the gear thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ploots
Mar 19, 2010
wait what gear thread