Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Mulaney Power Move posted:

team bianca is my new favorite. to hell with those verdi clowns.

Verdi is the truest underdog and your lack of faith will be noted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Robviously posted:

I must have misunderstood something cause it sounded different than a normal 1/2 cacce.

Either way, congrats Bianchi. Hopefully the Rossi don't wreck you too badly.

He just explained the rule without explicitly saying it was the normal half point.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
The Blues really wanted to lose that one.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
I like how you can tell what part of the match the highlights are from based on how filthy the pants are.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

verdi is going to have a long off season of smoking cigarettes and their mother's nagging them to meet a nice girl

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Verdi is the truest underdog and your lack of faith will be noted

^

That highlight package was awesome. Wow what a game.

This entire thread waiting for the final on the 24th

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Seltzer posted:

^

That highlight package was awesome. Wow what a game.

This entire thread waiting for the final on the 24th

:hmmyes:

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

Don't doxx me

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Have to catch today's match on youtube tomorrow, but I watched that 2017 final earlier. Hot drat this sport is amazing

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

gently caress, I forgot about Calcio. Are the games on youtube?

e: found one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWFHfP8X-lo
game starts at 51m

Go RV! fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jun 17, 2019

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
One thing that I find fascinating about calcio is that its played so infrequently that the game is still extremely unrefined.

Like, at most, a team can play two games a year. Half of them regularly only play one.

Think about what that means in terms of refining a sport. It would take the best calcio team eight years to play the same number of games a small rugby or football team plays in a season. Even the winningest calcio team hasn't played enough games in the modern history of the sport to equal a single season of NBA play.

What this means is that the sport is still fundamentally unevolved. Players and coaches are still not sure what works. Like, green hosed up trying to be slow and methodical but its not like there has ever been a good laboratory to figure out if that would be effective. Hell, white won off the backs of two breakaway alley oops which felt revolutionary for the sport.

Like, it feels like the players have still not figured out the best way to play the sport and that is part of the appeal for me.

EDIT: Like, it feels like we are watching the turn of the century leather helmet era of american football in the modern era

Mel Mudkiper fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jun 17, 2019

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Think about what that means in terms of refining a sport. It would take the best calcio team eight years to play the same number of games a small rugby or football team plays in a season. Even the winningest calcio team hasn't played enough games in the modern history of the sport to equal a single season of NBA play.

Not even that, but over those eight years it's likely the roster has completely recycled at least once. So there's an added difficulty to refine and innovate since the bulk of the time is going to be spent honing fundamentals. And punching people.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Proteus Jones posted:

Not even that, but over those eight years it's likely the roster has completely recycled at least once. So there's an added difficulty to refine and innovate since the bulk of the time is going to be spent honing fundamentals. And punching people.

Yeah, like, think how crazy it is the whites won because blue didn't consider covering a guy moving towards the goal when he didn't have the ball

both of those alley oops were WIDE OPEN

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I love that bianchi seem to be the only team to have figured out there are no offsides. Looking forward to seeing how that development plays out in the final.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

ilmucche posted:

I love that bianchi seem to be the only team to have figured out there are no offsides. Looking forward to seeing how that development plays out in the final.

I would imagine the traditional offsides penalty of calcio would be being alone around a bunch of dudes allowed to punch you but clearly bianchi has figured that part out

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

there were so many injuries/ejections in Azzurri/Bianchi that the front line had completely broken down, which let people hangout around the goal line and cherrypick/alleyoop. hadn't really seen that sort of thing before, incredible how the game can still evolve.

game 2 is up on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYFR81QnCw4

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me

Mel Mudkiper posted:

One thing that I find fascinating about calcio is that its played so infrequently that the game is still extremely unrefined.

Like, at most, a team can play two games a year. Half of them regularly only play one.

What this means is that the sport is still fundamentally unevolved. Players and coaches are still not sure what works. Like, green hosed up trying to be slow and methodical but its not like there has ever been a good laboratory to figure out if that would be effective. Hell, white won off the backs of two breakaway alley oops which felt revolutionary for the sport.

Like, it feels like the players have still not figured out the best way to play the sport and that is part of the appeal for me.

EDIT: Like, it feels like we are watching the turn of the century leather helmet era of american football in the modern era

@danawhite you watching this??

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

DumbWhiteGuy posted:

@danawhite you watching this??

Oh please, you expect him to innovate? He's probably watching supercuts of him yelling, "DO YOU WANNA BE A loving FIGHTER?" while snorting cocaine and thinking, "YES, I AM THE BEST."

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Got too busy on Saturday/Sunday and missed the matches live but just caught up. Rossi/Verdi was so slow that I barely paid attention, but Azzurri/Bianchi was a fun game. My favourite moment was when the Bianchi player was just picking his rear end and looking the other way and missed a pass right to him and the Azzurri player picked it up for a goal.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

ilmucche posted:

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I would imagine the traditional offsides penalty of calcio would be being alone around a bunch of dudes allowed to punch you but clearly bianchi has figured that part out

The reason you dont see passes to "offsixe" players (there is no offside rule) that much is exactly that, as soon as you cross the invisible team boundary you get your rear end kicked and ran back to your side. You can only really throw to a forward player if multiple players break with you on a run or if everything is so hosed up at the end that people aren't paying attention. That being said it was smart of bianchi to pass to someone right in front of goal in overtime to not risk losing by giving a mezze cacce away

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jun 23, 2019

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
Throwback to the time a dude from Calcio took on a capoeira dude in Ganryu-Jima

https://streamable.com/cm55b

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

LobsterMobster posted:

Throwback to the time a dude from Calcio took on a capoeira dude in Ganryu-Jima

https://streamable.com/cm55b

That capoeira looked a heck of a lot more like BJJ than the usual kicks and dodges I'm used to seeing from it.

But ironic that the dude who rang out most was also the dude who's sport has a higher penalty for it.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Wasabi the J posted:

That capoeira looked a heck of a lot more like BJJ than the usual kicks and dodges I'm used to seeing from it.

But ironic that the dude who rang out most was also the dude who's sport has a higher penalty for it.

Theyre both mma trained fighters and that mma promotion is extemely gimmicky and japanese

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Game is tomorrow right?

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Game is tomorrow right?

yea

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

:peanut:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

28 views. I love this site.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Festivities are starting a bit earlier today this might be tip off in 30-40

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

website seems to be kaput atm. Facebook is good though.

https://www.facebook.com/rtv38/videos/687570351691014/

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

The scroll is being read.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

THis poo poo is starting early.

Bushmeister
Nov 27, 2007
Son Of Northern Frostbitten Wintermoon

GET IN

Luke72w
Oct 28, 2011

Unlovable

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

That dude with "Fragile" on his underbritches

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

A lot of people grounded already, white looking for runs early as well

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Daniel-san got knocked tf down

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Soulex posted:

Daniel-san got knocked tf down

That was the dickhead from the first match he just got flatlined

Luke72w
Oct 28, 2011

Unlovable
I live for the razor thin line between competitive action and blatant rule breaking that this game seems to ride.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

This has descended into chaos in 5 mins, great news for us viewers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

This has to be crazy to photograph. So much is going on, dirt flying everywhere, fancy pants, intense audience, new soccer club owner revealed city's new away kit, and its Monday