Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I'm a bit farther into FF7, (just acquired Red XIII,) managed to get the Mayor's puzzle without reloading. (Paid for two hints though.) :toot: I'm a bit confused how some of the materia work- "All" materia seems to pair with another to allow it to target all enemies, but it seems like that's only once per battle or it's one some kind of cooldown? Does the "Elemental" materia work in a similar fashion, pair it with a second materia to make a weapon or armor have that element? IE: Shove a Lightning & Elemental materia on Barret's gun, and he does lightning damage on his attacks? How does enemy skill work? I only just acquired one (or two, because I think I got one, then one with Red?) just get hit by enemy abilities and you'll have a chance to learn them?

Also, I realize the game is probably easy enough that I don't need to worry about these sorts of optimizations, but as is made obvious by the UI and characters telling you, using magic materia lowers physical stats, is this a significant hinderence, or is the flexibility of magic & being able to put MP to use always worth the tradeoff? (Like is it worth it to have a non-magic character since they'll do a decent amount more damage with normal attacks?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

MMF Freeway posted:

The IZJS/ZA versions definitely have an easier progression curve since the condensed boards mean it take less LP to rush to the good licenses. Having two jobs also helps but its not as OP as you might think at first glance since the license boards share nodes so you aren't doubling up on attack, hp, etc.

Also mist charges being separate from MP, and having controllable summons instead of summons that just have a set gambit you can't do anything with and require stupid triggers before pulling out their main attack.

Phantasium fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jun 24, 2019

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Oxyclean posted:

I'm a bit farther into FF7, (just acquired Red XIII,) managed to get the Mayor's puzzle without reloading. (Paid for two hints though.) :toot: I'm a bit confused how some of the materia work- "All" materia seems to pair with another to allow it to target all enemies, but it seems like that's only once per battle or it's one some kind of cooldown? Does the "Elemental" materia work in a similar fashion, pair it with a second materia to make a weapon or armor have that element? IE: Shove a Lightning & Elemental materia on Barret's gun, and he does lightning damage on his attacks? How does enemy skill work? I only just acquired one (or two, because I think I got one, then one with Red?) just get hit by enemy abilities and you'll have a chance to learn them?

Also, I realize the game is probably easy enough that I don't need to worry about these sorts of optimizations, but as is made obvious by the UI and characters telling you, using magic materia lowers physical stats, is this a significant hinderence, or is the flexibility of magic & being able to put MP to use always worth the tradeoff? (Like is it worth it to have a non-magic character since they'll do a decent amount more damage with normal attacks?)

The level of the All materia determines how many times per battle you can use the All effect, until it's max level.
You're right about Elemental on weapons. On armour it protects against the damage it's linked to.
Enemy skill works as you thought, but 100% chance to learn.

I've never had to worry about stat drops on materia. I just buff up the HP loss with HP Plus materia.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Oxyclean posted:

All materia can make an attached magic multi-target a number of times per battle equal to the level of the All materia. A mastered All materia has no limit on how often a spell can be multi-targeted. Luckily All materia levels up very quickly (relative to other types of materia).

Elemental will give elemental damage (of the paired magicite) to your attacks when on a weapon, or bonus defense when on armor. How much damage/defense is also tied to the level of the Elemental materia- like level 1 makes you take half damage from that element, level 2 reduces the damage to 0, level 3 lets you absorb 50% of the damage, etc. (or something along those lines; it's been a while).

Enemy skill- yeah, have the equipping character hit by the attack and survive the fight, I think. The learn rate should be 100%.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
^ master all is 5x i thought?

Oxyclean posted:

1) All works just as has been said. please keep in mind that it also follows regular Final Fantasy rules, so there is minor damage splitting (-33% i think?) when targeting multiple enemies.

2) Elemental works that way, but it also scales by level. on weapons, it adds a 50/100/150% elemental damage boost at 1/2/3* (no bonus on 4*, it just grows a new Elemental materia, which is good because it's rare). on armors, it goes half/null/absorb.

3) Enemy Skill has two caveats. if it kills you, you can't learn it. if you escape or are ejected from the battle, you also won't learn it.

4) you basically never have to worry about stat dropoff because your stats increase at every level. typically, the change in your stats is so minor (-1 for anything you'll have at this point) that you'll outgrow it just by gaining a single level. later in the game you'll find materia that gives you -3, -5, or even -10 to your base stats, but by that point you'll have >100 in the relevant stat (probably closer to 150) so it'll be less than a 10% change.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jun 24, 2019

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
One of the rarest trophies is to go on a date with Barrett. I will make this bromance happen.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

seiferguy posted:

One of the rarest trophies is to go on a date with Barrett. I will make this bromance happen.
I'll make the romance happen.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
There's a few bosses with gently caress you hit all spells where if you haven't grinded, used HP materia, use elemental in armor with the relevant materia or accessories with immunity to that element, or unequip the magic materia you aren't immediately planning on using, there's a good chance to one shot people.

Vanilla FF7 difficulty is really peaky, you either autoattack/enemy skill the bosses with little risk or it has a gently caress you ability or gimmick that wrecks you until you figure out the gimmick.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Question:

I recently bought FF7 and 9 on the switch, and have enjoyed the heck out of replaying them, and have got the itch to play some more Final Fantasy, but don't know where to begin.

I've played:

The Super Nintendo Final Fantasies. Enjoyed both of them a lot.

FF3 Remake on the DS. Enjoyed till the end, when my team of all Vikings kept dying. Came back 6 months later, switched everyone to Ninjas, finally won. Enjoyed the job system

All the mainline Playstation FFs. Loved 7, was overall bored 8 though I thought it had some neat ideas, 9 is my favorite in the series.

Played through 10. Had an alright time, but had no desire to replay it or try the sequel.

Skilled out on 11 because I don't like MMOs, tried a bit of 12 but couldn't get into it. I've lost track of the series since then.

Based on that, any Goons got any recommendations one any FF (or FF like, I really enjoyed Octopath Traveller for example) to pick up. I've heard 15 plays similarly to Kingdom Hearts, which I also enjoyed.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

For Enemy Skill materia, do the skills remain attached to the Materia itself, and I can hand off to another character? I assume there's no funky business like unequipping the materia will cause you to lose the skills and have to relearn them?

Is there anything to know about ranking up materia? I assume you just get AP from battling like XP as I've observed, but some people mentioned limit breaks unlock/improve based on usage & kills, so I'm not sure if magic usage impacts AP gains.

zedprime posted:

There's a few bosses with gently caress you hit all spells where if you haven't grinded, used HP materia, use elemental in armor with the relevant materia or accessories with immunity to that element, or unequip the magic materia you aren't immediately planning on using, there's a good chance to one shot people.

Vanilla FF7 difficulty is really peaky, you either autoattack/enemy skill the bosses with little risk or it has a gently caress you ability or gimmick that wrecks you until you figure out the gimmick.

That jerk at the pillar gave me a game over because I didn't realize I could just attack the pyramid prison. I just assumed he debuffed my party members and I had to wait for it to wear off. :argh:

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jun 24, 2019

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
There is a glitch you can use to get infinite date points with Barret to guarantee it.

Note that if you actually get infinite date points with Barret you will break the game so if you look it up stop after like 50 points or whatever.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

quote:

Based on that, any Goons got any recommendations one any FF (or FF like, I really enjoyed Octopath Traveller for example) to pick up. I've heard 15 plays similarly to Kingdom Hearts, which I also enjoyed.

If you enjoyed the job system games, you might like 4 Heroes of Light (though this one has some issues), Bravely Default, and Bravely Second.

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

Based on that, any Goons got any recommendations one any FF (or FF like, I really enjoyed Octopath Traveller for example) to pick up.

Since you mentioned having played "both" of the SNES Final Fantasies, it sounds like you haven't played 5? if you liked 4 and 6 and you liked 3's job system, you'll like 5.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Oxyclean posted:

For Enemy Skill materia, do the skills remain attached to the Materia itself, and I can hand off to another character? I assume there's no funky business like unequipping the materia will cause you to lose the skills and have to relearn them?

Is there anything to know about ranking up materia? I assume you just get AP from battling like XP as I've observed, but some people mentioned limit breaks unlock/improve based on usage & kills, so I'm not sure if magic usage impacts AP gains.

Once you've earned the skill it's there forever. You can load it up with things like Flamethrower and Mighty Guard and slap it on anyone you please

1st Stage Midboss posted:

Since you mentioned having played "both" of the SNES Final Fantasies, it sounds like you haven't played 5? if you liked 4 and 6 and you liked 3's job system, you'll like 5.

Good deal, Wikipedia tells me there's a 3DS port of it on the Virtual Console. I'll check that out. Thanks!

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Amppelix posted:

XII seems at its best when you're doing optional content 10 levels underleveled. I just dungeon crawled through nabudis and it was tough as hell but so satisfying. Every fight could end in game over if I let it. I got to actually make use of tactics such as immobilising enemies and kiting the rest. In fact i couldn't even make it through the front door without doing that.

When you're equally leveled for the area it really just turns into running your gambit meatgrinder from one encounter to the next while you might as well be reading a book with your other hand. That's satisfying to a point since you did set up said meatgrinder all by yourself, but the combat can be so much more.

I didn't tackle a lot of content early like this, but I got a similar feeling from some of the harder bosses like Ultima, Zodiark, etc.

The design of boss fights in the game is generally very good because your basic gambits (with some minor adjustments to account for curing status and such) will get you through the first half-to-3/4 of almost any boss. Once you've had a chance to learn their patterns and get comfortable a bit is usually when they shift into a higher gear that can really send you scrambling and make for great, tense finishes.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
It’s a good time to play FF5 for the first time, as the Four Job Fiesta is going on and there’s lots of people to give help and advice, not to mention there’s someone donating for each person who completes a run for the first time.

FF5 is basically FF3 on steroids, where you can mix and match abilities with jobs, like a Knight who can cast White Magic, or a Black Mage with powerful fist attacks.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Whalley posted:

I'll make the romance happen.

The trophy is actually called "best bromance" and its alongside Cloud getting picked by Don and obtaining Great Gospel (neither of which are that hard) as the most rare.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Oxyclean posted:

something worth keeping in mind imo is that when you get multiple copies of enemy skill materia, you can stack them all on one character and still get the skill on every materia. makes getting LVL* skills less of a hassle

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Oxyclean posted:

Looks like most of your questions have been answered, but a few things you might find handy:

A mastered "All" materia sells for 1.4million gil. You can do this before you even leave the first continent if you spend enough time levelling up. You won't need to worry about money for the rest of the game. Some people think this cheapens the playing experience, I personally don't.

As soon as you get "Transform" materia, link it with an Elemental materia on Cloud's weapon. Trust me. Very few enemies are immune to frog/small.

Don't ignore the extra Enemy Skill materias you can pick up! Enemy Skills are the most useful form of magic in the game, and you'll find yourself using them more and more. Some enemy skills can only be gained by manipulating them into using the attack on you, once you have the "Manipulate" materia go back to the first continent and start manipulating every enemy you come across.

That should get you through Disc 1 without any bother, the Materia system has much more depth to it but you don't need to worry about that for now to be honest.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

Question:

I recently bought FF7 and 9 on the switch, and have enjoyed the heck out of replaying them, and have got the itch to play some more Final Fantasy, but don't know where to begin.

I've played:

The Super Nintendo Final Fantasies. Enjoyed both of them a lot.

FF3 Remake on the DS. Enjoyed till the end, when my team of all Vikings kept dying. Came back 6 months later, switched everyone to Ninjas, finally won. Enjoyed the job system

All the mainline Playstation FFs. Loved 7, was overall bored 8 though I thought it had some neat ideas, 9 is my favorite in the series.

Played through 10. Had an alright time, but had no desire to replay it or try the sequel.

Skilled out on 11 because I don't like MMOs, tried a bit of 12 but couldn't get into it. I've lost track of the series since then.

Tactics is very good and if you were a fan of the job system in 3/5 it has a similar one. 15 plays "similarly to Kingdom Hearts" yes, but it's more along the lines of "what if the kingdom hearts battle system was really bad and the camera liked to go off on its own adventures through the world geometry". I wouldn't really recommend it.

13 is bad but can be a very fun kind of bad if you're a particular kind of person. The battle systems are good in all of them. There's no exploration and the game is a series of hallways with battles and cutscenes in them. The story basically boils down to whether you're the kind of person who can enjoy a story that makes no sense and is really loving dumb in a way that is kind of unique.

also, you can always go back and play FF1. It's still fun and the rereleases all adopt systems from the later FFs that make it less weird(although it's also fun to go check out the first version which had a DnD style magic system).

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Dell_Zincht posted:

As soon as you get "Transform" materia, link it with an Elemental materia on Cloud's weapon. Trust me. Very few enemies are immune to frog/small.

You actually need a different materia called Added Effect for this. Elemental is just for elemental damage, Added Effect is for status effects. Added Effect, much like Elemental, is a materia that is fun and very useful, found relatively early, and missable forever. It's in Cosmo Canyon.

the most fun thing to do with it is to link it with the hades summon materia

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Dell_Zincht posted:

Enemy Skills are the most useful form of magic in the game,

to be clear, by "most useful form of magic", they mean "can easily replace every single other materia except maybe Cure". Beta alone will kill everything until you get Trine, and then you're basically set for the few times fire isn't an option.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Captain Hotbutt posted:

Time travel wonkiness is my catnip so I'm already invested in the storytelling and the mechanics of it, but I don't know how I feel about the Pokemon/collect monsters thing yet. I kind of just want a third party member. I don't want to level up poorly designed whatcha-ma-callits I don't care about.

If you don't want to mess around with the monster system too much, there are a couple of monsters that can basically carry you through the game. They are:

-Orion, found in Augusta Tower 200AF. Gets a ton of stats and good bonuses against debuffed targets.
-Gahongas, found in Yashcas Massif 10/1XAF. Its feral link ability gives your party rare buffs like bravery and faith.
-Lancer, found in Vile Peaks 200AF. Like Orion but a tank.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

seiferguy posted:

The trophy is actually called "best bromance" and its alongside Cloud getting picked by Don and obtaining Great Gospel (neither of which are that hard) as the most rare.
Idgaf about trophies, I need romance.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

morallyobjected posted:

to be clear, by "most useful form of magic", they mean "can easily replace every single other materia except maybe Cure". Beta alone will kill everything until you get Trine, and then you're basically set for the few times fire isn't an option.

They can replace everything. White Wind is a solid cure, Angel whisper revives. Big Guard completely renders all the buffing materia irrelevant. Trine, Aqualung and Beta take care of magic damage. Laser is basically just Demi. Bad breath applies status effects. Shadow flare does non-elemental damage. Magic Hammer drains MP.

the only thing left is physical damage, which you get from attacks and limits and I guess Deathblow if you want.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

cock hero flux posted:

15 plays "similarly to Kingdom Hearts" yes, but it's more along the lines of "what if the kingdom hearts battle system was really bad and the camera liked to go off on its own adventures through the world geometry". I wouldn't really recommend it.

i'm the opposite of this, i despise kingdom hearts combat but i thought ff15 was brilliant. you have to turn the numbers off and you can actually see things though

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

The White Dragon posted:

i'm the opposite of this, i despise kingdom hearts combat but i thought ff15 was brilliant. you have to turn the numbers off and you can actually see things though

Same for me. Though, admittedly, the camera does sometimes lose its mind. Either "I know a battle is going on but this bush is so fascinating", or parking itself squarely up Noctis' rear end.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Enemy skill matra music is an incredibly effective way to kill enemies early on in 7. It's the best way to get Aeris the kills she needs to upgrade her limit break.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
FF15 could have worked as more of an action game if what was going on at all times was a little less busy and every enemy had clear tells. As it was it was just sort of a loving mess and best enjoyed on easy for the story/fun road trip vibes.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
y would u want to get Aeris' limit breaks?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

cock hero flux posted:

They can replace everything. White Wind is a solid cure, Angel whisper revives. Big Guard completely renders all the buffing materia irrelevant. Trine, Aqualung and Beta take care of magic damage. Laser is basically just Demi. Bad breath applies status effects. Shadow flare does non-elemental damage. Magic Hammer drains MP.

the only thing left is physical damage, which you get from attacks and limits and I guess Deathblow if you want.
If i remember right Big Guards duration is kind of obnoxious compared to the materia based buffs. You can specifically set your combat speed to work around it. I forget if it's an actual duration difference or because it just always comes paired with haste so your shields just evaporate in seconds.

Dell_Zincht posted:

A mastered "All" materia sells for 1.4million gil. You can do this before you even leave the first continent if you spend enough time levelling up. You won't need to worry about money for the rest of the game. Some people think this cheapens the playing experience, I personally don't.
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Cheapens whatever, that's a hosed up grind when people do it with the first 2x growth weapon because they can.

If you play blind, you're going to get lost on the world map a couple times, that's usually enough combat funds to afford the newest shop materia and new weapons/accs for at least half if not all of your team. My first mastered all usually clocks in at like the last quarter of the game just in time to pay for Goldsaucer bullshit.

Gologle posted:

Demon Wall ez mode.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

DrNutt posted:

FF15 could have worked as more of an action game if what was going on at all times was a little less busy and every enemy had clear tells. As it was it was just sort of a loving mess and best enjoyed on easy for the story/fun road trip vibes.

they do but they're often obscured by the ridiculous amount of large numbers you're constantly making appear. the wind ups are really obvious if you keep the camera high and far and don't have the UI/HUD blocking everything

if you're worried about not being able to tell how much HP you have, don't. the red mist that appears at low health gives you plenty of advance warning to chug potions.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Yeah, zodiac age is actually more mindless than even original FF12, it's quite a feat. They added fast-forward, too, so they were aware of it

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Big Guard gives Barrier, Mbarrier, and Haste, which does shorten the duration of the defensive buffs. But your party is hasted and you unlimited MP with Magic Hammer so it doesn't really matter.

Good early candidates for Added Effect are Choco/Mog and the aforementioned Transform. Choco/Mog has a chance of inflicting stop and there's even some bosses that aren't immune to that status.

None of this optimization is necessary because FFVII is easy anyway, but it's nice to know for random silly things to do.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Gologle posted:

They're arguably the most powerful in the game?

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Great Gospel fully heals HP and MP, and provides temporary invulnerability. Its OP, OP.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Doesn't do damage. Worthless.

Absolute trash.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

cock hero flux posted:

There's Goblin Punch for physical attacks, right?

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Doesn't do damage. Worthless.

Absolute trash.

Arm everyone with hammers and berserk all

My ffxii strategy the first time I took down vayne

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
tifa has the best limit break because she suplexes giant monsters and superslams and uppercuts so hard a dolphin erupts from the earth