Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

evil_bunnY posted:

Ye but isn't everyone running a flat AF carbon sheet as a "chassis"? Whenever I see comp 1/10 cars it always bugs me how little aero sense they make.

Yes, double plate, and they're also getting narrower and narrower. Down to about 4" now. People discovered that you get more traction with a springy/flexible chassis. (go figure..) So now chassis are a tuning tool. Racers can be expected to have between two and six chassis if they are to have a full quiver of tuning tools. Aluminum flex, Aluminum stiff, carbon flex, carbon stiff, two thicknesses of top deck. Plus all the various supports and reinforcements that are available to join the two, and the fore and aft bulkheads.

While we're on that tangent, most companies have at least two firmesses of plastics. The big companies have even more than that. Tamiya has Soft (ABS), Hard (Polycarbonate), Glass Fiber (Reinforced nylon), and Carbon (reinforced nylon) plastics. And those are usually available for all of the plastic parts. X-Ray has hard and soft plastics, plus reinforcements that can be bolted on, and aluminum arms as factory options.

It's a mind bending array of choices.

... I tend to go with the harder plastics. So small changes show up more.

1/10 car aero is... a strange subject. The bodies really can affect how the aero ballance of the chassis is. Also, they have a strong effect on CG movement. The TC bodies really do make downforce, as do the GT bodies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

During my last run in touring cars you definitely noticed the difference between different TC shells. Not only for straight line speed, but in cornering. You could feel the steering "dull" with some of them, whereas others were nice and sharp.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003
Just got my first touring car and this is depressing. Should have gone Tamiya for stock racing.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Spatule posted:

Just got my first touring car and this is depressing. Should have gone Tamiya for stock racing.

You gotta say more than that. I (and perhaps we) can help. What did you get? What class(es) did you plan on running in? What surface? (Carpet, asphalt, concrete, indoor, outdoor, clay?) And what gear do you have now?

Tamiya racing has... it's own problems. I run a TT01e in Euro Truck, and it's a bear to tune. All of it's problems, I have solutions for, if I could adjust ~anything~.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Got a few people together today to play around in the snow. There was a 4WD Slash as well, but it didn't last long enough to get pictures before eating its driveshafts.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

Nerobro posted:

You gotta say more than that. I (and perhaps we) can help. What did you get? What class(es) did you plan on running in? What surface? (Carpet, asphalt, concrete, indoor, outdoor, clay?) And what gear do you have now?

Tamiya racing has... it's own problems. I run a TT01e in Euro Truck, and it's a bear to tune. All of it's problems, I have solutions for, if I could adjust ~anything~.

Just the level of competition and tuning that sounds like Formula 1, as the other post referred to. It's mostly friendly stuff on asphalt, I got the same car as many people (Sakura Xi Sport NU), but I've seen a few people with tire sauce, xrays, carbon fiber toilet seats, remotes that cost more than my entire car, etc. At least Tamiya stock class is just that apparently, basic car, choice of 2 motors.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

an AOL chatroom posted:

Got a few people together today to play around in the snow. There was a 4WD Slash as well, but it didn't last long enough to get pictures before eating its driveshafts.

The only reason I would ever want to live somewhere where it snows.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Spatule posted:

Just the level of competition and tuning that sounds like Formula 1, as the other post referred to. It's mostly friendly stuff on asphalt, I got the same car as many people (Sakura Xi Sport NU), but I've seen a few people with tire sauce, xrays, carbon fiber toilet seats, remotes that cost more than my entire car, etc. At least Tamiya stock class is just that apparently, basic car, choice of 2 motors.

You've still missed the "big question". Touring cars are reasonably easy to get into. Especially with the car you have. And especially on asphalt. The big question, is what class are you running in. If there's no class, then you're just messing around, and you shouldn't be stressing about much. :-)

You've got a $109 car. (So do I... I have a Sakura XI Sport Ver.NU too.) http://realtinker.blogspot.com/2018/06/the-3-racing-sakura-xi-sport-vernu.html Having a radio more expensive than that is easy. :-) You'd be amazed at how much happens in the radio. Though I bought my radio used, I paid about $100 for mine. It's got the absolute minimum I need to get poo poo done in the radio. Endpoint adjustment, dual rates, and expo. Endpoint adjustment saves your servo. Dual rates gives you "steering percentage" which becomes a thing as traction varies during the day. And expo lets you electronically get around chassis setup issues. Most importantly, a lack of linearity in steering response.

I think.. you need a primer on going racing. All these little things aren't openly discussed until you're like.. ."in with the racing people". It doesn't help accessibility. You're "among goons" ask freely.

Since you mentioned it, lets talk tire sauce. Tire sauce "gets you over" the initial hump each time you drive. Tire heat is a thing, and getting from cold rubber to warm tires is tricky. Tire sauce gets me through the first two or three laps, until the tires are warm, and sticky. Otherwise, I can spend a solid five laps getting tires up to temperature, if they get there at all.

Tamiya classes end up being sneaky expensive, either in dollars or time. I'm going to assume this is roughly "TCS legal". Euro truck is a box stock class. That means if you do something to the truck, the only way to un-do it is buy that part again. If you ream out the steering parts, to gain back front travel, well to fix that you need to buy new steering parts. You need to buy a sleeve of weights, for chassis ballance and CG lowering. If you glue your tires wrong, you need to buy new tires, and sadly, tamiya tires aren't cheap. Instead of a quick, and easy oil change on shock bodies, to handle damping on the TT01e, you need to spread sticky goo on the shocks and pray you get it right. Then re-do it to make sure it's consistent. Then you need to worry about the guy who put his springs in a vice for a week, to compress them, and lower the truck. Or the guy who glued bits of the kit under the suspension arms to act as downstops.

The M classes, until the release of the M07 all required some really nasty, hard to deal with tuning methods. Thank god the M07 came out, and now you can use downstop screws.

.............. and tamiya parts are sneaky expensive.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

Nerobro posted:

You've still missed the "big question". Touring cars are reasonably easy to get into. Especially with the car you have. And especially on asphalt. The big question, is what class are you running in. If there's no class, then you're just messing around, and you shouldn't be stressing about much. :-)

You've got a $109 car. (So do I... I have a Sakura XI Sport Ver.NU too.) http://realtinker.blogspot.com/2018/06/the-3-racing-sakura-xi-sport-vernu.html Having a radio more expensive than that is easy. :-) You'd be amazed at how much happens in the radio. Though I bought my radio used, I paid about $100 for mine. It's got the absolute minimum I need to get poo poo done in the radio. Endpoint adjustment, dual rates, and expo. Endpoint adjustment saves your servo. Dual rates gives you "steering percentage" which becomes a thing as traction varies during the day. And expo lets you electronically get around chassis setup issues. Most importantly, a lack of linearity in steering response.

I think.. you need a primer on going racing. All these little things aren't openly discussed until you're like.. ."in with the racing people". It doesn't help accessibility. You're "among goons" ask freely.

Since you mentioned it, lets talk tire sauce. Tire sauce "gets you over" the initial hump each time you drive. Tire heat is a thing, and getting from cold rubber to warm tires is tricky. Tire sauce gets me through the first two or three laps, until the tires are warm, and sticky. Otherwise, I can spend a solid five laps getting tires up to temperature, if they get there at all.

Tamiya classes end up being sneaky expensive, either in dollars or time. I'm going to assume this is roughly "TCS legal". Euro truck is a box stock class. That means if you do something to the truck, the only way to un-do it is buy that part again. If you ream out the steering parts, to gain back front travel, well to fix that you need to buy new steering parts. You need to buy a sleeve of weights, for chassis ballance and CG lowering. If you glue your tires wrong, you need to buy new tires, and sadly, tamiya tires aren't cheap. Instead of a quick, and easy oil change on shock bodies, to handle damping on the TT01e, you need to spread sticky goo on the shocks and pray you get it right. Then re-do it to make sure it's consistent. Then you need to worry about the guy who put his springs in a vice for a week, to compress them, and lower the truck. Or the guy who glued bits of the kit under the suspension arms to act as downstops.

The M classes, until the release of the M07 all required some really nasty, hard to deal with tuning methods. Thank god the M07 came out, and now you can use downstop screws.

.............. and tamiya parts are sneaky expensive.

That your blog? Big fan, great stuff. Found it when I got the 3racing.

Running 13.5t as it was what most people seemed to be into. I long hesitated to get a Tamiya because the rules of the "official" cup are very restrictive and disallow pretty much everything for some of the beginner classes, but couldn't pass up the 40$ kit (used) including a Traxxas 1/16 VXL ESC and motor which I sold for 50 but what you wrote makes me feel better about the decision.

Re:radio, I meant the price of the car one ready to drive, so chassis, electronics etc. I swear one guy has a Futaba or Sanwa that costs more than my entire Tekno buggy, not to mention the xi sport. I have a 100$ radio too :)

I club race 1/8 ebuggy, but at the local level it's not so much about gear as it is about practicing and training (I used to win or get on the podium with an RTR car, and the Tekno didn't make me really better, it just breaks less), I hope it's the same with the local onroad scene.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Been a minute since I posted some good content here. I went out to the Little Sahara sand dunes in Utah this weekend for an event put on by a local RC club called Paddle Palooza. Me and my 1/5 posse joined in the fun. I took my VEKTA TT, VEKTA.5 buggy and 1/10 Losi Baja Rey.

I built a 34cc ported engine for my VEKTA TT and finished literally the night before (a dumb move). I am not completely happy with the results. It was a bit of a slug and I am not sure why. I will need to tear into it a little bit and see what I can pull out of it, maybe try a different pipe. The VEKTA buggy ran awesome for the tank I put through it. After pounding on it with no mercy the left bell crank ended up splitting. Pretty decent considering the massive tires, 50+ pounds and more than 2 1/2 years of abuse I have put through it. I also have dual steering servos swinging the tires, dual Hitec D845's with about 700 oz of torque each.

I posted some shots of my new Lexus in front of this old service station in a BFE so I thought I would grab some hard parked glamour shots of my VEKTA and friends Baja 5B

I also put a full set of paddles (front/rear) on my Losi Baja Rey and got a new 3S LiPo. Here is a video that I didn't edit at all and just uploaded straight from the memory card off of the GoPro. The new GoPro is ridiculous
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGWa4Lyfjc8 4K60!!!

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Spatule posted:

That your blog? Big fan, great stuff. Found it when I got the 3racing.
Yup, that's me. Thank you for the compliment. I need to start posting about running the cars.... as I am ~just~ getting good enough to feel what cars are really doing. Heh.

quote:

Running 13.5t as it was what most people seemed to be into.
Oof. 13.5 is a hot motor for touring car. Even 17.5 makes for a lively race if it's not locked timing. That must be satisfyingly quick. I typically run VTA (25.5 and 1450g with a X-ray T4) and USGT (21.5 and 1380g with a PSM chassis TA07) and on carpet they're plenty challenging.

quote:

I long hesitated to get a Tamiya because the rules of the "official" cup are very restrictive and disallow pretty much everything for some of the beginner classes, but couldn't pass up the 40$ kit (used) including a Traxxas 1/16 VXL ESC and motor which I sold for 50 but what you wrote makes me feel better about the decision.
This weekend was the Chicago TCS race. I ran Mini and Euro Truck. There was a whole bunch of buzz about cheating in euro truck. I... was not happy with that. Mini was interesting, people were competitive with both the M05 and M07. But the M06 was definitely not running well. This was the first time I ran my mini "in anger" and it did the job well. The M07 really needs pretty little in the word of accessories to be competitive. The M05 needs a solid $200 in upgrade parts, or you need to start with a $350 version to be competitive.

In an entertaining anecdote, I was there on Friday, and one of our 1/12 scale mod drivers mused about running in the TCS race, but didn't have a car. "Hey... I have a spare Euro truck. Wanna run?" He said yes. I spent the night building a second euro truck. He finished 6th in the A, and qualified third overall. In a car that he'd never run before.

...... If you have any question about euro truck being an even class. That's your answer. Hah :-) I was so proud of my little truck.

quote:

I club race 1/8 ebuggy, but at the local level it's not so much about gear as it is about practicing and training (I used to win or get on the podium with an RTR car, and the Tekno didn't make me really better, it just breaks less), I hope it's the same with the local onroad scene.
I can't bring myself to serious off road racing. I have a couple things to bash around with, and run at the track, but one run, or one race day tires.... I can't put up with. You'll get some updates on my TRF-201 story later this year. :-)

Nerobro fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Mar 26, 2019

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Just picked up a Vxl stampede 4x4 model 67086-4 with a bunch of mods from a good friend for $300. How did I do?

I have no idea what I'm doing. What do I need to know about this thing?

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

Nerobro posted:

Yup, that's me. Thank you for the compliment. I need to start posting about running the cars.... as I am ~just~ getting good enough to feel what cars are really doing. Heh.
It's so different from (real, not carpet and crap) offroad, I'm lost. SAUCING TIRES! 1/4" ground clearance, insanely tight tolerances "oooh I'm running 0.1° more toe than you, that's why i'm slower".

quote:

Oof. 13.5 is a hot motor for touring car. Even 17.5 makes for a lively race if it's not locked timing. That must be satisfyingly quick.
It's stupidly quick coming from ebuggies. With a final drive ratio of 4, I have trouble seeing the car when it reaches top speed at the other side of the parking lot. Completely useless on the local smallish track. No idea why it's popular, but I think most people race seriously and go to many tracks, most of them large.

quote:

...... If you have any question about euro truck being an even class. That's your answer. Hah :-) I was so proud of my little truck.
Sounds awesome. They look great too. Affordable?

quote:

I can't bring myself to serious off road racing. I have a couple things to bash around with, and run at the track, but one run, or one race day tires.... I can't put up with.

Our informal racing/bashing club just invested in a cheap lap time system (lapmonitor) and it's super fun (a bluetooth speaker connected to your smartphone announces who's winning and lap times,100$ for the main sensor). Everyone runs badlands or similar as the track's surface is trash, so wear is not an issue.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Infuriatingly my indoor track just closed two weeks ago. *shakes fist*

Euro Truck is amazingly fun. The trucks are "fast" enough, and the tires are more vinyl than rubber, so slide easily. It's traction limited racing, which is wooonderfull.

While cars ~are~ more sensitive to tuning, most people don't care that much about toe. Rear toe is often done in increments of a full degree. Ride height is a bit more picky, and "half a MM" is reasonable there.

On a more fun note, I bought a new car. :-) A CRC GenX 10 R/T.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Nerobro posted:

Euro Truck is amazingly fun. The trucks are "fast" enough, and the tires are more vinyl than rubber, so slide easily. It's traction limited racing, which is wooonderfull.

Short course trucks on pavement, when you stick to an offroad suspension setup, are equally fun in the opposite way. Grip for days but you'll traction roll it if you fling it in too hard, but it's easy to carry the inside wheel all you want.

When you slam them down to TC height and put stiff springs on, they just become really lovely 2WD touring cars.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

My LXT lived most of it's life on pavement. Dirt Hawgs were great. :-) There's a current racing series with short course (real) trucks, on roadcourses. They put jumps in to make sure they dont' slam them.

maybe that would work for r/c.

So on to serious topics. The Chicagoland R/C scene has had a blowup. In the last six months, we lost Timewarp, Leisure Hours, and WindyCityRC. Timewarp, because it was a hobby shop in the middle of nowhere. Leisure Hours because the landlord decided they could rent to someone better. And WindyCityRC due to a bunch of money and management issues.

We're (the chicago on-road people) are trying to take a swing a getting chicago r/c a home, that's not tied to a shop, and supported by a club.

I'd love to hear if any of you have had experience or have advice on this.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Nerobro posted:

My LXT lived most of it's life on pavement. Dirt Hawgs were great. :-) There's a current racing series with short course (real) trucks, on roadcourses. They put jumps in to make sure they dont' slam them.

maybe that would work for r/c.

Yeah, SST is awesome. I think the series itself actually owns / operates all the trucks anyway, or something close to it. There's not really any advantage to be gained in setting the trucks up differently and the insane inappropriate nature of the racing is what makes it so fun to watch.

I think with R/C, even with jumps, you'd need to spec out a lot of the setup, such as minimum ride heights, tires, and maximum spring rates. The setups I've seen on some offroad cars are still waaaaaay stiffer than the box-stock setup on a SC10.

Nerobro posted:

So on to serious topics. The Chicagoland R/C scene has had a blowup. In the last six months, we lost Timewarp, Leisure Hours, and WindyCityRC. Timewarp, because it was a hobby shop in the middle of nowhere. Leisure Hours because the landlord decided they could rent to someone better. And WindyCityRC due to a bunch of money and management issues.

We're (the chicago on-road people) are trying to take a swing a getting chicago r/c a home, that's not tied to a shop, and supported by a club.

I'd love to hear if any of you have had experience or have advice on this.

The Phoenix onroad scene, for the past few years now, has finally been able to accomplish exactly this - after decades of either being part of the original SRS with an actual prepped track, and later Hobbytown's parking lot races. The club started by arranging to rent a nice parking lot from a local business that was closed on Saturdays, but more recently they've moved to a property that while I don't believe they own or lease exclusively, they do have fairly wide-reaching permission on. They repaved it and have built a semi-permanent driver's stand.

I haven't actually gone out and raced in a few years now (at least not since before the move), but my old man does. They pretty much run things via a Facebook group.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

I'll need to talk with them.

So, to share what i'm doing....

June 29, 2019, at 12:30pm. The Ed Rudolph Velodrome, in Northbrook Illinois, will have a timing loop, and be opened to r/c cars and racers.

.... this event... is being run by Me. *dies*

So far, CRC, Team Associated, A-Main, have all seemed interested. Team Associated are sending some "stuff". I'll find what that is friday.

This weekend, I'll start distributing flyers, to all of the local r/c hobby shops. And I'll e-mail all the local tracks, and perhaps mail them some flyers too.

Also this weekend, is the first race of the new indoor temporary off road track. You can bet I'll be pimping the velodrome.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003
So my awesome wife got me a lapmonitor for my birthday and it is the best thing ever.
Guys at the local track (self built, not an official thing) are getting transponders too now so we can actually measure what's going on and see who's faster.
Plus the text to speech function is hilariously open to stupid puns which goes well with our usual driving state.
Highly recommended for you guys with backyard tracks.

Edit: link: http://lapmonitor.com/

Spatule fucked around with this message at 19:31 on May 9, 2019

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Somewhat Heroic posted:

http://www.davesmotors.com/Axial-AX31030-Big-Bore-Shock-Cap-Parts-16mm.html in stock. If "the whole thing is tweaked" then it is possible the shock shaft got a little bent. We have those too: http://www.davesmotors.com/Axial-AX31081-Ti-Nitride-Coated-Shock-Shaft-4x83mm-2-.html

There are not really any upgrades, and I have not looked to see if any other shocks fit the YXL. The stock units work really quite good so I would just rebuild. We have 1st class (standard) shipping to Canada. Canada post is the worst and we have seen anything from ~7 days for delivery to 6 weeks. Express shipping is 1-2 days for delivery. I am not a pro at Canada import laws but generally under $100 USD value doesn't get dinged for customs import fees.

So this is long time coming, but many others things came up past few months which took priority!

Can you also link to me the wheel nets for the XL? I can't seem to find them on your website? Also, what do you recommend for shock oil since I'm going to be taking those things apart.

I'll probably just ask them to be shipped to my office in Alberta instead of driving to my Montana box to pick them up. Is your cheapo Canadian freight just mail? That's best if it is. UPS is awful.

Thanks a ton!

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

slidebite posted:

So this is long time coming, but many others things came up past few months which took priority!

Can you also link to me the wheel nets for the XL? I can't seem to find them on your website? Also, what do you recommend for shock oil since I'm going to be taking those things apart.

I'll probably just ask them to be shipped to my office in Alberta instead of driving to my Montana box to pick them up. Is your cheapo Canadian freight just mail? That's best if it is. UPS is awful.

Thanks a ton!

Totally missed this post, sorry! You have the RTR model, right? The item is AX31087 http://www.axialracing.com/products/ax31087 which is not a part I stock :(

our "Standard" shipping method is 1st class mail international, shipped through a broker. To Canada it can take anywhere from 10 days to 4 weeks. Canada post is horribly unreliable for any kind of transit time. Typically we see shipping take two weeks, but it can be longer with no real good explanation.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Finally got off my butt and put the order through. Ordered a spare just in case and some 20wt oil.

Thanks for the help.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Hi thread. I'm working on a beer30 project that quasi fits in here. I have 3 Nitro Tmaxxes in various states of disrepair, one runs, 2 are parts wagons. The two parts wagons were stripped down and with a ton of CAD and 3d printing, a 6 wheel drive 17lb electric converted behemoth was built. The vehicle was modeled to look similar to the Ares rover from The Martian.

It's still very much a work in progress. it'll get paintwork soon then it's onto the actual project: learning better software.

more details behind the build: https://imgur.com/a/r2zueJH

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

That’s awesome.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Totally missed this post, sorry! You have the RTR model, right? The item is AX31087 http://www.axialracing.com/products/ax31087 which is not a part I stock :(

our "Standard" shipping method is 1st class mail international, shipped through a broker. To Canada it can take anywhere from 10 days to 4 weeks. Canada post is horribly unreliable for any kind of transit time. Typically we see shipping take two weeks, but it can be longer with no real good explanation.

Just a quick shout-out for the fast turnaround. I ordered the kits and some shock oil around the 21 and received it this past Monday (3rd) in the mail. Nothing wrong with that. Now just to get 15 minutes and fix the beast

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

The RC bug bit again and I ordered a Rock Rey. I've been missing my YXL and this seems like a smaller, more reliable way to go.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

slidebite posted:

Just a quick shout-out for the fast turnaround. I ordered the kits and some shock oil around the 21 and received it this past Monday (3rd) in the mail. Nothing wrong with that. Now just to get 15 minutes and fix the beast

:toot: Glad to hear the post made quick work of it.

Hypnolobster posted:

The RC bug bit again and I ordered a Rock Rey. I've been missing my YXL and this seems like a smaller, more reliable way to go.

The Rock Rey is very cool, my neighbor has it and I have the Baja Rey. It desperately needs stiffer foam inserts. I found it rolled a bit too easily with the stockers (as did he). Once he swapped them out with some Crawler Innovations two stage foams it was a totally different beast and much easier to handle at speed.

My current RC endeavors: Selling off my YXL because I never drive it, and probably gutting the electronics and selling off my RR10 so that I can buy another Vanquish VS4-10. I want to build up another 1.9 crawler for my son that is turning 5 next month. Sure I could get a cheaper 1.9 for him, maybe even the new Element RC kit which seems appealing. The Vanquish is simply the best though. The Black Edition looks hot. They announced a new VS4-10 Pro with a new "VFD" transmission sort of this weekend but we are still waiting on all the details. From what I have seen though I want the original/1st gen VS4-10. Oh well.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

cursedshitbox posted:

Hi thread. I'm working on a beer30 project that quasi fits in here. I have 3 Nitro Tmaxxes in various states of disrepair, one runs, 2 are parts wagons. The two parts wagons were stripped down and with a ton of CAD and 3d printing, a 6 wheel drive 17lb electric converted behemoth was built. The vehicle was modeled to look similar to the Ares rover from The Martian.

It's still very much a work in progress. it'll get paintwork soon then it's onto the actual project: learning better software.

more details behind the build: https://imgur.com/a/r2zueJH

This deserves to be quoted again... really amazing... can’t believe it all worked and that’s not a dig at anyone’s fab skills

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I want to build up another 1.9 crawler for my son that is turning 5 next month. Sure I could get a cheaper 1.9 for him, maybe even the new Element RC kit which seems appealing.
Sweet! Our oldest got an scx10.2 about that age and loves it. Lots of flashy lights on an RC switch is the secret.

I want to build one of those unimogs out of a VS4-10 and trx4 axles am I a moron?

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

evil_bunnY posted:

Sweet! Our oldest got an scx10.2 about that age and loves it. Lots of flashy lights on an RC switch is the secret.

I want to build one of those unimogs out of a VS4-10 and trx4 axles am I a moron?

No, but you’re selling yourself short when vanquish makes portals and the sexy :awesome:.

I know an SCX10ii is all my kid would need and I shouldn’t have sold mine but whatever. The Origin rules and the incremental cost difference is worth it to get up front. It’ll hold value far better too...

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

I've purchased insurance. Got all the paperwork in order. And on June 29, we'll have a race at the Northbrook Velodrome.

I have a box of goodies from Team Associated, McAllister, and soon CRC.

I have a timing system, and a half a dozen people excited to go fast.

And I have flyers distributed to the local shops.

I believe..... that is all I can do. :-)

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
That's rad! I hope there is a good turnout and everyone has a blast!

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Somewhat Heroic posted:

No, but you’re selling yourself short when vanquish makes portals and the sexy :awesome:.

I know an SCX10ii is all my kid would need and I shouldn’t have sold mine but whatever. The Origin rules and the incremental cost difference is worth it to get up front. It’ll hold value far better too...
I didn't remember they made those portals, of course that's even better. The origin is totally worth it if you're going to touch the axles at all IMO. It's just well made poo poo all around.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Got myself a BND Rock Rey and it's excellent right out of the box on 2s. Absolutely hilarious that it takes 16 tiny screws, 16 washers and 16 standoffs underneath for a total of 48 things to remove/replace the body panels.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Somewhat Heroic posted:

:toot: Glad to hear the post made quick work of it.

Ugh, finally went to replace the shock mount and the bottom was gimped too. No problem I thought - it's the other part in the kit. Except it isn't - it's got a small heim joint at the end. :(

Do you sell those too?

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

I sat down to build my M06 last night. Which I have bought a whole bunch of fun parts for. And... in passing, decided "hey, I wonder if my M08 is gonna be here soon".

Four days. I ordered my M08, four days ago. And It arrived today.

Now I have two cars to build.

... and my event this weekend. AAAAHHH

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Man, if I hadn't just moved I'd try to make it to the thing in Northbrook. I don't have anything to run (got a CC01 class? :v:), but I'd at least like to say hey and spectate. Unfortunately, my life is loving insane at the moment so the best I can do now is say good luck and have fun.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Man, if I hadn't just moved I'd try to make it to the thing in Northbrook. I don't have anything to run (got a CC01 class? :v:), but I'd at least like to say hey and spectate. Unfortunately, my life is loving insane at the moment so the best I can do now is say good luck and have fun.

Nope, no CC01 class, but that's something we'd love to see out there.

Since we're talking about "real life" Where about did you move to? Joe Sagan is running weekly off road stuff as part of Ultrafast Raceways, in Addison. And if you'd rather play on-road, Great Lakes RC is doing on-road stuff in Franklin Park. And... if you don't have something to run either place, my cars are slutty and will go out with anyone. Just tell them they're pretty once or twice.

http://www.greatlakesrc.net

http://ultrafastraceways.com

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
I can practically smell the cheese from WI at the new place, but I work in Wheeling. I don't have any on-road stuff yet, but I'd really like to pick up an M chassis soon. I'm very much a Tamiya whore and the Alfa Giulia M06 kit has been on my radar for a while. That and some flavor of TT02 would make me very happy, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

I can practically smell the cheese from WI at the new place, but I work in Wheeling. I don't have any on-road stuff yet, but I'd really like to pick up an M chassis soon. I'm very much a Tamiya whore and the Alfa Giulia M06 kit has been on my radar for a while. That and some flavor of TT02 would make me very happy, I think.

If you're not seeking "TCS legal" There's some other M chassis cars that are pretty amazing. The Sakura MG is everything the M07 should have been, if tamiya wasn't so dedicated to plastic tubs. I pick up my M08 today... which is exciting.

http://realtinker.blogspot.com/2019/03/3racing-sakura-mg-evo-fwd-m-class-car.html

I have a complete, spare TT01e with all the euro truck accoutrements, and that'll get you straight into "real racing" especially if you want to hit up TCS. That.. I'll sell cheap. :-)