Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Unmature posted:

I always want to pick up a laserdisc player. Is there any real reason other than it's cool? Like are laserdiscs secretly as good as blu rays or something? Or is it just for completionists and weirdos like us?

Laserdisc, at its peak, is comparable to DVD. Keep in mind, it was around for 22 years, so earlier releases are going to look pretty bad. And if there's any degradation in the disc (like disc rot), the picture will suffer. There are some LDs that are better in picture quality than the DVD release. But for the most part, you're better off with the later formats. Remember, I said at its peak.

Although, before Blu-ray, I believe laserdisc DTS tracks were some of the best you could get at home - they apparently had a higher bit-rate than DVD's DTS tracks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The Jabba deleted scene is 100% extraneous, but I love the moment of Han stepping on Jabba's tail, given that Jabba was just some dude and not a giant slug monster when they first filmed it. The tail step is very much something Han would have done.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
I'm past the whole yelling fanboy part of my life. I just think that the original films should be preserved because they're a significant part of film history. The various modifications over the years add nothing, are incredibly tacky, often ruin the pacing, and in many cases look more outdated than some of the original effects.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Detective No. 27 posted:

The tail step is very much something Han would have done.
I have a hard time believing the churlish rogue, suave rebel that he is, would insult the gangster warlord he owes money to in such a way.

Also the FX for Jabba there look markedly worse than the giant puppet and it sucks.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

CPL593H posted:

I'm past the whole yelling fanboy part of my life. I just think that the original films should be preserved because they're a significant part of film history. The various modifications over the years add nothing, are incredibly tacky, often ruin the pacing, and in many cases look more outdated than some of the original effects.

Pretty much same. I'm actually sick of Star Wars these days, and my attitude on the new ones is that unless something convinces me they're really good I'm only bothering with them if I'm not paying to see them.

But yeah, you're right the "updated" effects are way outdated now and it's very jarring.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
The only thing I find 100% unbearable in the special editions is the new song by the band in Jabba’s palace.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

CopywrightMMXI posted:

The only thing I find 100% unbearable in the special editions is the new song by the band in Jabba’s palace.

Don't remind me of Jedi Rocks :barf:

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

Vagabundo posted:

Vanishing Point (Fabulous Films) - slipped under this thread's radar, apparently. This one comes with both the US and UK cuts of the film (the UK cut is almost 10 minutes longer, with a mysterious hitch-hiking woman played by Charlotte Rampling at the end of the film that was excised from the film in the US).

Unfortunately Vanishing Point badly needs a remaster.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Same. First two don’t bother me much.

I’m actually thinking of getting the trilogy on LD out of nostalgia. I miss the CBS-Fox logo before each film.

Also, just ordered both the 1983 pre-restoration and 1989 CAV Criterion editions of Lawrence of Arabia. Going to do an extensive analysis on what was cut.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
The weird thing about the adding the Jabba scene back in the original movie is that dialog was taken from it (as in the same exact audio clip) for Greedo's scene and nothing was altered about that, so you just hear the same dialog play in two different scenes.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Almost Blue posted:

The weird thing about the adding the Jabba scene back in the original movie is that dialog was taken from it (as in the same exact audio clip) for Greedo's scene and nothing was altered about that, so you just hear the same dialog play in two different scenes.

I kinda like that because it implies that Han has been thinking about what he'll say. You know, you can imagine him practicing to himself in the Falcon beforehand, "These things happen Jabba....no no that's not right....We all get boarded sometimes....yea that's it, I'll say that!"

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Almost Blue posted:

I feel as if the real problem with the special edition additions is that there's just too much of it. You never hear anyone complain about the redone battle of Yavin, or seeing the Millennium Falcon leave Tattooine.

It's always the up-close and organic things, it's the banthas and rontos, and what other else CGI aliens were all over the loving place. If Lucas had been a bit more regulated and kept it to clean-up and space ships, I don't think the special editions would be nearly as reviled as they are now.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Iron Crowned posted:

I feel as if the real problem with the special edition additions is that there's just too much of it. You never hear anyone complain about the redone battle of Yavin, or seeing the Millennium Falcon leave Tattooine.

Those actually bug the hell out of me too. Throw the whole special edition away.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Well the '97 redone Battle of Yavin does look worse than the original stop-motion model work. By now though it's been hosed with so many times that they maybe got it right now. Of course they've moved on to doing dumb poo poo like badly compositing in rocks around R2 during Obi-Wan's introduction, and having Vader say "No" a few times when Palps is shocking Luke.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
Last night I watched Rogue One and I completely forgot that in the big space battle at the end they spliced in footage of some of the pilots from the end of A New Hope like we aren't supposed to notice.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Monday_ posted:

Last night I watched Rogue One and I completely forgot that in the big space battle at the end they spliced in footage of some of the pilots from the end of A New Hope like we aren't supposed to notice.
Pretty sure everything they used was previously cut stuff.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

CopywrightMMXI posted:

I was just about to post about this because think this is the absolute worst change of all of them. It's not just very bad on its own but it doesn't belong with the scene. The original makes more sense because it's a dark smoky poo poo hole and everyone seems exhausted because a lot of the people clearly don't want to be there but don't have a choice (which is very explicitly shown at the end of that scene). Have some kind of weird furry guy screaming into the camera makes a lot less sense and is just plain stupid and tacky. And of course the original scene took a whole crew of puppeteers to bring to live and deleting that scene is a big gently caress you to a whole bunch of people who worked very hard.

Casimir Radon posted:

Well the '97 redone Battle of Yavin does look worse than the original stop-motion model work. By now though it's been hosed with so many times that they maybe got it right now. Of course they've moved on to doing dumb poo poo like badly compositing in rocks around R2 during Obi-Wan's introduction, and having Vader say "No" a few times when Palps is shocking Luke.

One of the post-97 revamps had such an aggressive and poorly done digital clean up that in the space scenes they ended up erasing the stars and then had to go back and digitally insert them. It really bothers me that the constant defacing of a classic film is just hand waved as a stupid thing that only matters to neckbeards. This is a bigger deal than that. Especially since the guy behind it spend a good decade complaining about other people doing the exact same thing and being a champion of film preservation.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

What really hasn't aged well is Lucas insisting on only the special editions being the versions available other than the limited edition DVDs that recycled the 1993 laserdisc masters. I have at least 50 films in my collection with multiple cuts. Probably at least that much in addition to that with options for both original and remixed audio.

It's more absurd when you consider that Ridley Scott made more changes to Blade Runner for the Final Cut, yet you can still watch all four previous cuts. Hell, Scott and Terry Gilliam haven't had issues with the bastardized versions of their films being made available in addition to their own preferred cuts. And they went through hell to make some of their films.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Egbert Souse posted:

It's more absurd when you consider that Ridley Scott made more changes to Blade Runner for the Final Cut, yet you can still watch all four previous cuts. Hell, Scott and Terry Gilliam haven't had issues with the bastardized versions of their films being made available in addition to their own preferred cuts. And they went through hell to make some of their films.

I think at least 90% of that is because those contrast the talent of the film maker against the interference from studios; those cuts are creative stances and the alternate ones showcase their strengths. With Star Wars, the older cuts show how good the original product was with collaborative input, where as the additions and alterations are all Lucas; he doesn't want people to catch on that he's made things worse (even though it's common knowledge at this point).

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

"I was a child! I was in love! It was wrong and you knew it!"

Lucas originally wanted Indiana Jones to be a pedophile and thought it was funny.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

All 1970s Hollywood men have probably raped children.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

All Hollywood have probably raped children.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

All 1970s Hollywood men have probably raped children.

And rock stars.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I can barely remember the 70s. I've talked to 90s kids and Zoomers and their ideas of the 80s are fuckin' ridiculous pastiche from pop culture and have no resemblance to reality. This is some real "degenerate Hollyweird" poo poo

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I can barely remember the 70s. I've talked to 90s kids and Zoomers and their ideas of the 80s are fuckin' ridiculous pastiche from pop culture and have no resemblance to reality. This is some real "degenerate Hollyweird" poo poo

I was born in '81, and I had an 18 year old ask me about the 80's once. He got mad at me because I told him about playing in the backyard, and the early days of Nintendo. He was expecting more of that pop culture pastiche, and didn't want to know anything about the 90's, which I would be much better at explaining.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I was born at the end of '88. I had at least a couple of people who were decently younger than I was try to argue that I didn't "get" Ready Player One because I wasn't an 80s kid like them.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
My summation of the 80s is basically Cola and Pizza wars, Back to the Future, tape decks, hi-fis and VCRs, He-Man, My Little Pony, Rainbow Brite, taking the bus everywhere with my parents, Nintendo, Captain N, GI Joe, TMNT, a complete ignorance of 90% of pop culture, and saturday morning TV shows.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

FilthyImp posted:

My summation of the 80s is basically Cola and Pizza wars, Back to the Future, tape decks, hi-fis and VCRs, He-Man, My Little Pony, Rainbow Brite, taking the bus everywhere with my parents, Nintendo, Captain N, GI Joe, TMNT, a complete ignorance of 90% of pop culture, and saturday morning TV shows.

You forgot Where's the Beef

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

FilthyImp posted:

a complete ignorance of 90% of pop culture

Anyway, who do I have to kill to get a loving Benny Hill collection that doesnt cost a thousand dollars?!

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jun 25, 2019

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

AIDs crisis, Iran-Contra, Reaganomics, Cosby...

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://twitter.com/TwinPeaksArchve/status/1143313059471138817

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
I was born in 1980 and really don’t remember much from before 1986 or so. I remember there used to be a bookmobile and I played in the sandbox a lot. For pop culture, GI Joe, MASK, He-Man, Ghostbsters and TMNT were the most popular things. And Batmania. Batmania was bigger than anything.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

You don’t think Jack Nicholson hosed some kids? Jack Nicholson hosed some kids. Just look at what that Alabama pedophile who ran for senate was doing, and he was just a regular guy cruising the mall in the middle of nowhere. Imagine what someone rich and famous could get away with. Brooke Shields’ parents encouraged her to go alone on a vacation with Woody Allen, for gently caress’s sake.

The culture has changed a lot in 50 years.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The generation that let their kids hang out with Woody Allen, or gave guardianship of their kid over to Ted Nugent so he could gently caress her without going to jail. Now they're old and still making GBS threads up the world. I saw something on TV once about how boomers were so self obsessed they often ignored if not outright abandoned their kids to go "find themselves".

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

CopywrightMMXI posted:

I was born in 1980 and really don’t remember much from before 1986 or so.

Yeah, I was born in the 80's technically but you don't really form strong memories until you're about 5 or 6 or older. So the earliest 80's memories I have are from like '88. But that means I definitely remember the poo poo out of Batman '89. Also I can vaguely remember my parents dragging me to our small town's one-screener to watch movies I wasn't interested in at all, like Mannequin and Richard Pryor movies (and not the good ones). And all the malls I went to with my mom still looked like they did in the 1970's.

Most of what I know about 80's culture now is stuff I've watched and listened to as an adult, and a lot of it was stuff that wasn't exactly mainstream or popular at the time.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
When you're a kid in a small town, the only things you absorb are what's right in front of you in the 3 media sources you have, so the 80's to me were Reagan and the wind-down of the Cold War, Huey Lewis, Madonna, Hair Metal, Freddy Krueger, a billion bad horror movies, Nintendo, Peewee Herman, baseball, slip n slides, tv hotline number commercials, arcades and skee ball, synth drums, hot wheels and board games. And a lot of broken bones.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Casimir Radon posted:

AIDs crisis.

AIDS isn't plural the S stands for syndrome.

The culture has changed a lot in 50 years.

Has it?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Origami Dali posted:

When you're a kid in a small town, the only things you absorb are what's right in front of you in the 3 media sources you have, so the 80's to me were Reagan and the wind-down of the Cold War, Huey Lewis, Madonna, Hair Metal, Freddy Krueger, a billion bad horror movies, Nintendo, Peewee Herman, baseball, slip n slides, tv hotline number commercials, arcades and skee ball, synth drums, hot wheels and board games. And a lot of broken bones.

I definitely went from small town Alabama to Seattle Suburb, and there really wasn't much of a difference, as it's not like I was old enough to drive, or know anyone outside of my parents that could. The media I consumed during that time was as such: Knight Rider, Transformers/Go-Bots, Smurfs, Gumby, and Land of the Lost. I pretty much hated everything my parents liked to watch, the only two things I remember them watching were Dallas and Magnum PI (I loving hated Magnum as a child :iiam: ).

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
The 80s and early 90s for me was my dad bogarting our one VCR for 3 straight days when there was a free HBO or Showtime weekend so he could tape every single movie that played. Not complaining, that's how I saw Big Trouble in Little China.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
In the 90's I had a meticulously curated and labeled VHS collection of every episode of Seinfeld that I'd recorded from t.v.

Those tapes saw a lot of use in college when I had a little t.v./vcr combo in my dorm room so in the end it was worth it.