Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Old Boot posted:

I don't think it's a stretch to say the franchise was heavily influenced in the first place. There were definitely moments that I felt like 'this is the closest I'm gonna get to playing a pew-pew B5 RPG.'

Personally my main theory about Mass Effect is that it was heavily inspired by the Star Control series. Including the very poorly planned Star Control 3 that centered around the threat of extra-galactic creatures that regularly attack galaxies to nosh on all sentient forms of life.

• Improbably human alien blue space babes with weird psychic powers
  • Space gypsies who lost their old planet and fly through the galaxy in a fleet of habitat ships
  • Very aggressive species whose entire society nuked themselves back into the stone age at least once
  • Incredibly aggressive race of bugs that waged a massive war on the galaxy, and possibly were under the influence of mind control
  • Weird jellyfish that can't use normal technology
  • A race of precursors that made extravagant technology that galactic power centers upon (although that barely counts considering how common that concept is)
  • Slow-moving, slow-talking grey aliens
  • Multi-eyed race that was the last to oppose the extra-galactic threat, and have since been enslaved by them to fight in their name since the game mechanics don't otherwise support the big bad threat.

Even the Mako or scanning sections are reminiscent of Star Control's lander. There's a lot of coincidences there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

SlothfulCobra posted:

A spacefighter game like freespace

Comrade, do I have good news for you.

http://babylon.hard-light.net/gallery1.php

Full-up Freespace 2 total conversion for B5.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

SlothfulCobra posted:

What in particular was wrong? Nothing stood out to me.

Little bits and pieces (eg Into the Fire is ep 6 of S4, not ep 8)

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

Honestly B5 might make for a mapgame I'd actually play, or a good space RTS, or an old school space-fighter game.

Or hell, an RPG might be good.

What I really want is a next gen adventure game that takes place entirely in Babylon 5 with the entire station explorable.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Little bits and pieces (eg Into the Fire is ep 6 of S4, not ep 8)

Oh come on!

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

And "beyond the ring". I'm inclined to chalk it up to bad proofreading/editing, which nobody does anymore.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Habibi posted:

Oh come on!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Platonicsolid posted:

And "beyond the ring". I'm inclined to chalk it up to bad proofreading/editing, which nobody does anymore.

Yeah.

Everyone knows in B5 there's no ring.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah.

Everyone knows in B5 there's no ring.

It's true!

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

There were a lot of hidden butts in B5

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I'd rather have a game where you had actual power to change the narrative, not just a meaningless "G'Kar will remember this."

Main thing Telltale did well was nailing the feel of big franchises, so YMMV when it comes to the whole branching story stuff but I'd still be tickled to be able to argue with cartoon Londo or whatever even if in the end I couldn't actually prevent the entire Shadow War by glassing him.

The real limitation would be the inability to get a depressingly large amount of the cast back to VA it. :sigh:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

You could probably write around a lot of the people who are no longer with us, but missing G’Kar will make it hard to tell a meaningful story that involves the main cast. A pure side story, where it’s hitherto unknown characters playing for smaller stakes in the same setting, is still possible but will demand impeccable writing to not be butt-grade poop.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Just hire imitators, I'm sure there's plenty of people who can do a convincing "Aaaaaah, meeeester moooorden"

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars
Londo stealth-adventure game where you balance scheming with avoiding your wives and G'kar.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Londo stealth-adventure game where you balance scheming with avoiding your wives and G'kar.

Your end score only increases while you're watching dancers or gambling.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars
Vir saves your game. He gives good advice.

You ignore it.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

McCloud posted:

Just hire imitators, I'm sure there's plenty of people who can do a convincing "Aaaaaah, meeeester moooorden"

Good lord bite your tongue and throw salt over your shoulder. Jurasik is still alive.

And yes, I heard that in his voice in my head.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Yes.

CainFortea posted:

Your end score only increases while you're watching dancers or gambling.

Yes!

Vir saves your game. He gives good advice.

You ignore it.

YES!!

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

> The elevator arrives and the doors open. G'Kar is standing inside. Do you enter? Y/N

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

John Murdoch posted:

> The elevator arrives and the doors open. G'Kar is standing inside. Do you enter? Y/N

You post this as a joke, but the scene where Vir is in the elevator with G'Kar shortly after the Centauri invasion of Narn (the "Dead, dead, dead..." scene) is when I realized that Vir was kind of a badass under all those nerves. He confronts an awkward situation and apologizes. That's not easy.

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde

Doctor Zero posted:

Good lord bite your tongue and throw salt over your shoulder. Jurasik is still alive.

physically taken aback by this fact

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I hope that a sequel series gets made eventually with Peter Stormare as Peter Jurasik as Londo Mollari

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Just do B5 as an old-school early-90s adventure game. I can't help but feel like there would be excellent symmetry in depicting the show that broke ground by going all-CGI for their visual effects, with a game that only used 2D art.

.....actually, if we wanted to get really 90s, we'd do it all ~*multimedia*~ style and have every death/lose ending capped by an FMV featuring one of the surviving cast. (I'm remembering the old Rama game where dying or losing the game would result in Arthur C. Clarke coming out and talking to you for a bit.)

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

.....actually, if we wanted to get really 90s, we'd do it all ~*multimedia*~ style and have every death/lose ending capped by an FMV featuring one of the surviving cast.

they are mostly dead, tho. now, a clutch cargo-esque reimagination with extremely bad impersonations on the other hand

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Just do B5 as an old-school early-90s adventure game. I can't help but feel like there would be excellent symmetry in depicting the show that broke ground by going all-CGI for their visual effects, with a game that only used 2D art.

.....actually, if we wanted to get really 90s, we'd do it all ~*multimedia*~ style and have every death/lose ending capped by an FMV featuring one of the surviving cast. (I'm remembering the old Rama game where dying or losing the game would result in Arthur C. Clarke coming out and talking to you for a bit.)

Just make sure it’s fuzzy, wobbly, faded out fmv with bad sound that awkwardly inserts battle clips from actual episodes.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

If I manage to screw up badly enough, will Boxleitner appear and tell me to get the hell out of his galaxy?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

John Murdoch posted:

If I manage to screw up badly enough, will Boxleitner appear and tell me to get the hell out of his galaxy?

Noooo, no no no no... he'll just put on that big ol' goofy grin, and give you some folksy advice his dad gave him.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Noooo, no no no no... he'll just put on that big ol' goofy grin, and give you some folksy advice his dad gave him.

"Never start a game, but always finish it."

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
"And like I told Kevin Flynn once, never get too deep into a game that you can't get out."

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

lol but posted:

they are mostly dead, tho. now, a clutch cargo-esque reimagination with extremely bad impersonations on the other hand

Honestly I kinda prefer the old adventure games that didn't have voice-overs; I can read faster than they speak and the delivery usually isn't so compelling that I like waiting for them to finish before I can keep playing.

Armack
Jan 27, 2006
There's something I don't get about Kosh in "The Gathering". After Kosh was poisoned, did Dr. Kyle witness him in angelic form or cephalopod form?

It seems like the former, since Kyle said "I have looked upon the face of a Vorlon...And nothing is the same anymore." But how is that possible? Even though the younger races are genetically primed to see Vorlons as holy figures, the Vorlons have to consciously project that false image, right? Yet Kosh was unconscious and near-death.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

I always took it to be like a psychic re-writing that they programmed into the younger races. I don’t think it has to be consciously projected. I think it just kind of happens and has to be specifically overridden.

For example, when Sheridan takes out Kosh II (Ulkesh) the fragment of Kosh still in his mind shuts that whole poo poo off presumably I assume to ensure that the humans who have never seen one will be able to see that they aren’t attacking some angel. At least that’s how I always took it. I assumed that the Vorlons somehow programmed in, ‘when you see us, you really see an angel’ kind of like a psychic illusion. That’s why the Centauri don’t see anything. 404 - file not found.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Doctor Zero posted:

I always took it to be like a psychic re-writing that they programmed into the younger races. I don’t think it has to be consciously projected. I think it just kind of happens and has to be specifically overridden.

For example, when Sheridan takes out Kosh II (Ulkesh) the fragment of Kosh still in his mind shuts that whole poo poo off presumably I assume to ensure that the humans who have never seen one will be able to see that they aren’t attacking some angel. At least that’s how I always took it. I assumed that the Vorlons somehow programmed in, ‘when you see us, you really see an angel’ kind of like a psychic illusion. That’s why the Centauri don’t see anything. 404 - file not found.

After Kosh rescues Sheridan from the tram bomb, he remarks that it was exhausting being seen by so many of the younger races. General thought is that means it's something the Vorlon do actively, that takes effort.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Or Kosh is just an introvert

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Kosh wasn't unconscious after he was poisoned. At least, I don't think he's ever specifically said to be unconscious. He's dying and unable to consent to the mind scan, but one wonders how they could even tell whether Kosh was unconscious or not.

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jun 25, 2019

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Lemniscate Blue posted:

After Kosh rescues Sheridan from the tram bomb, he remarks that it was exhausting being seen by so many of the younger races. General thought is that means it's something the Vorlon do actively, that takes effort.

Oh yeah that’s right. Hmm. Forgot about that.

It could also be that JMS changed things around a bit later. :haw:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Yeah, the real answer is "it's the pilot, things changed".

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Yeah, the real answer is "it's the pilot, things changed".

And the in-universe explanation is "It's Vorlons, I ain't gotta explain poo poo."

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Doctor Zero posted:

That’s why the Centauri don’t see anything. 404 - file not found.

This is Londo specifically because of the Shadow influence, not all Cenauri.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Grand Fromage posted:

This is Londo specifically because of the Shadow influence, not all Cenauri.

We don't hear any Centauri mention anything. And Londo can't even remember exactly how many gods the Centauri have.