Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Fangz posted:

I feel like a crazy person because I really didn't like the superdad bits in the Incredibles 2. It just seemed like super generic hijink nonsense, like an extended and less amusing version of the babysitter stuff from the first. And at the end of the day it didn't seem like he learned anything from it other than 'let the fashion designer handle things', nor did it actually have much relevance to the plot and themes of the story in the end. I'd have been happier if they cut almost all of that to have more time developing the Helen/Screenslaver relationship.

I think the idea was that Bob needs to let go of trying to be absolute hero of things and learn to accept outside help. Like when Lucius shows up and asks if he's good he answers that yeah it's fine when it clearly isn't. It's his feeling of inadequacy speaking to the fact that he's not doing well at something he feels he should be doing. Gotta keep in mind that the series takes place in a weird 60's setting so the idea of a stay at home dad who does the housework and the wife earns the money would be mentally different. That he's as cool with it AT ALL is actually pretty progressive. The whole thing is him accepting that while he is doing a great job, due onforseen circumstances(NOBODY understood New Math and people complained A LOT he just doesn't know this, Jack-Jack's new and random powers, his screw up with Violets social life, on top of keeping the house in one piece by cleaning and cooking) he NEEDS outside help to take the load off.

That was my general takeaway anyway. I do agree with you that the Screensaver thing should have gotten more attention ditto with the new supers especially Voyd who has had a HUGE surge in popularity in the LGBTQA community on Tumblr.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

doomrider7 posted:

I think the idea was that Bob needs to let go of trying to be absolute hero of things and learn to accept outside help. Like when Lucius shows up and asks if he's good he answers that yeah it's fine when it clearly isn't. It's his feeling of inadequacy speaking to the fact that he's not doing well at something he feels he should be doing. Gotta keep in mind that the series takes place in a weird 60's setting so the idea of a stay at home dad who does the housework and the wife earns the money would be mentally different. That he's as cool with it AT ALL is actually pretty progressive. The whole thing is him accepting that while he is doing a great job, due onforseen circumstances(NOBODY understood New Math and people complained A LOT he just doesn't know this, Jack-Jack's new and random powers, his screw up with Violets social life, on top of keeping the house in one piece by cleaning and cooking) he NEEDS outside help to take the load off.

If that's the message it's quite confused by the fact that well, Edna doesn't 'help', Edna just takes over and can do it all on her own and doesn't need any help. If he finally admitted what was going on to Helen and Helen gave him useful advice that allowed him to succeed it would be more that kind of thing.

It just looks overall like a 'I guess men (or at least Bob) are just bad at childcare' message, where it is revealed that Bob is bad at the thing he didn't want to do to start off with and in the end he stops doing it because the entire point of that is negated.

EDIT: I guess there's the ipad thing in terms of Edna helping

Fangz fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jun 25, 2019

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Fangz posted:

If that's the message it's quite confused by the fact that well, Edna doesn't 'help', Edna just takes over and can do it all on her own and doesn't need any help. If he finally admitted what was going on to Helen and Helen gave him useful advice that allowed him to succeed it would be more that kind of thing.

It just looks overall like a 'I guess men (or at least Bob) are just bad at childcare' message, where it is revealed that Bob is bad at the thing he didn't want to do to start off with and in the end he stops doing it because the entire point of that is negated.

The whole movie's themes are super muddled. Like both the villians and the hero's are getting a "asking for help is good/bad" theme but like damned if I know how bob asking edna for help and screensavers dad literally being murdered because he asked for help instead of doing things himself are supposed to mesh together

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Fangz posted:

That's the thing, he actually WAS good at the parenting and childcare thing and it's just the absolute curveball of Jack-Jack's powers made it harder to deal with hence the visit to Edna who on top of making the suits very much seems to be the highest authority that we know of on Super physiology.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

The whole movie's themes are super muddled. Like both the villians and the hero's are getting a "asking for help is good/bad" theme but like damned if I know how bob asking edna for help and screensavers dad literally being murdered because he asked for help instead of doing things himself are supposed to mesh together

Both are rather different. I've had and read discussions on this on some other sites, but that was a lon while ago now and I'll need To retrace all of that.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I was kinda meh on Toy Story 4, I don’t know what they’re gonna do with another sequel, there’s totally gonna be another movie cause I’m sure this one is going to make a billion dollars.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
I haven't been able to bring myself to watch the latest slew of Pixar movies. I really want to see Coco, but I don't have Netflix and don't feel like buying/renting it right now. I was cautiously optimistic for The Incredibles 2, but you guys make it sound like it's kind of a thematic mess. The first one was kind of like that as well, contrasting the "be who you are" idea with "if everybody is special, then nobody is" idea, and the more I thought about it the more it bothered me.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Bogus Adventure posted:

The first one was kind of like that as well, contrasting the "be who you are" idea with "if everybody is special, then nobody is" idea, and the more I thought about it the more it bothered me.

That's the thing though, it does contrast those two ideas, on purpose, and comes away with the idea that sometimes for the sake of others you have to temporarily put aside what would make you happy in that moment. That's the message behind Dash holding back in the race at the end, and Mr. Incredible screwing everything up when he did what he felt like, and the affair subtext.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
The takeaway is messy because it ends up being "Just be thankful the Better People like to hold back now and then"

It's also kind of weird how all the villains in the series are all tech wizards like innate ability is only good if you can launch needles from your dick but god forbid you find a way to create infinite free energy because you're likely a monster waiting to ransom an orphanage.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jun 25, 2019

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
The best take
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDK5U95w9v4

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Sir Lemming posted:

That's the thing though, it does contrast those two ideas, on purpose, and comes away with the idea that sometimes for the sake of others you have to temporarily put aside what would make you happy in that moment. That's the message behind Dash holding back in the race at the end, and Mr. Incredible screwing everything up when he did what he felt like, and the affair subtext.

I suppose that's one way to look at what the movie is saying, but I kind of agree that it comes across more like:

FilthyImp posted:

The takeaway is messy because it ends up being "Just be thankful the Better People like to hold back now and then"

It's also kind of weird how all the villains in the series are all tech wizards like innate ability is only good if you can launch needles from your dick but god forbid you find a way to create infinite free energy because you're likely a monster waiting to ransom an orphanage.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Bogus Adventure posted:

"if everybody is special, then nobody is"

This is a quote from the film's unambiguously evil villain, it's like saying that you think The Hunchback of Notre Dame was advocating genocide because Frollo says all gypsies must be burned at the stake.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Sleeveless posted:

This is a quote from the film's unambiguously evil villain, it's like saying that you think The Hunchback of Notre Dame was advocating genocide because Frollo says all gypsies must be burned at the stake.

Dash is the villain?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gXCCBmTvBI

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
I'm not sure a bratty kid saying it really proves your point (and neither does the protagonist saying it before the plot happens and he grows as a character). If anything it's showing that this kind of mentality is shared by dumb kids and egocentric psychopaths.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

FilthyImp posted:

It's also kind of weird how all the villains in the series are all tech wizards
Dumb but I just realized literally EVERY Villain is some kind of gadget or tech-based entity

Bomb Voyage: Explosives
Underminer: prosthesis and drill-sub
Syndrome: ZPE/Robotics
ScreenSlaver: electronics

I mean, sure, if someone showed up to rob a bank with Titanium Hands they'd probably be murdered, but technology is really a threat to the way of life in the Incrediworld.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Andorra posted:

I'm not sure a bratty kid saying it really proves your point (and neither does the protagonist saying it before the plot happens and he grows as a character). If anything it's showing that this kind of mentality is shared by dumb kids and egocentric psychopaths.

My point is that the movie seems to make the idea of "everyone is special" or "everyone is unique" seem like a bad thing.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I can't tell if the Underminer is a mole person or just born with an extremely unfortunate face.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

Dumb but I just realized literally EVERY Villain is some kind of gadget or tech-based entity

Bomb Voyage: Explosives
Underminer: prosthesis and drill-sub
Syndrome: ZPE/Robotics
ScreenSlaver: electronics

I mean, sure, if someone showed up to rob a bank with Titanium Hands they'd probably be murdered, but technology is really a threat to the way of life in the Incrediworld.

I think this is partially due to Incredibles villains being references or homages to Marvel villains who themselves are often very tech-based, but that is to compare to the heroes who also are either tech based or get their powers through some kind of technological wonder. In incredibles the heroes are basically the X-Men, people born with special powers who are forced to hide them, but they're fighting Avengers villains and it sends a weird message.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

ImpAtom posted:

I think this is partially due to Incredibles villains being references or homages to Marvel villains who themselves are often very tech-based, but that is to compare to the heroes who also are either tech based or get their powers through some kind of technological wonder. In incredibles the heroes are basically the X-Men, people born with special powers who are forced to hide them, but they're fighting Avengers villains and it sends a weird message.

I always thought they were more of a riff on the Fantastic Four given their power combination, family unit, and that their villains are a super-genius and the leader of the mole men. :shrug:

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
It’s kind of like in baseball how people fetishize “natural” ability while demonizing steroid use.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Bogus Adventure posted:

I haven't been able to bring myself to watch the latest slew of Pixar movies. I really want to see Coco, but I don't have Netflix and don't feel like buying/renting it right now. I was cautiously optimistic for The Incredibles 2, but you guys make it sound like it's kind of a thematic mess. The first one was kind of like that as well, contrasting the "be who you are" idea with "if everybody is special, then nobody is" idea, and the more I thought about it the more it bothered me.

Go watch Coco. Break into someones mausoleum and watch it on their tv if you have to

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
How come How to train your dragon 3 wasn’t very good

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Coco wrecked me. But I was dealing with some grief stuff at the time so it was def the thing that already snapped open a fresh-ish wound.

Toy Story 4 was visually astounding and also really boring and I wasn’t into it at all. I never had a need to ever see those characters again, and it never changed for me. The whole movie just existed. The dummy’s and horror nods were alright.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I figured the Super gene in Incredibles comes with a propensity towards superheroics, so there's no super powered villains, because otherwise it'd basically just be X-men instead.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Invalid Validation posted:

I was kinda meh on Toy Story 4, I don’t know what they’re gonna do with another sequel, there’s totally gonna be another movie cause I’m sure this one is going to make a billion dollars.

it's perfectly watchable

Butt Detective
Mar 24, 2013

Only the dead can know peace from these hats.

Calaveron posted:

How come How to train your dragon 3 wasn’t very good

I'm not a fan of either of the sequels tbh. The first movie was perfectly fine as a standalone thing for me and I really appreciated that there were no real villains, just a stubborn and misguided dad (unless you count that giant dragon). It was a good film about a boy bonding with a wild animal (who had some really great, often subtle, cat-like body language) and then in the sequels they threw in some boring villains, killed off his dad and turned Toothless into a giant dumb dog. And gave Toothless a girlfriend because... money?

I don't like the sequels very much

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Barudak posted:

Go watch Coco. Break into someones mausoleum and watch it on their tv if you have to

I don't think it's requisite viewing.
It's gorgeous, it has great music and it made me miss my parents again, but the movie itself is predictable to a fault. Which greatly downgrades the experience.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
At least HTTYD3 was a big improvement over 2 IMO. Still not nearly as good as 1, but since I'm destined to watch these over and over again with my kids, I'm glad they didn't make it worse. It's way better than the second one visually too, it actually has colors and the characters don't look like puppets. But both sequels suffer hard from pointless villains. And they could've ditched all the side characters after the first movie too, they don't add anything. They worked well as rivals during the training scenes in the first one, but that probably should've been it for them.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do

Darth TNT posted:

I don't think it's requisite viewing.
It's gorgeous, it has great music and it made me miss my parents again, but the movie itself is predictable to a fault. Which greatly downgrades the experience.

I was all set to be bored with the generational conflict but then the spirit realm jumped in and it was fun. Not great or must-see but fun.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Here's a fun thought exercise- what year does Toy Story 4 take place?

Toy Story (1995)- 0 ATS - Andy turns 8 years old. Molly is an infant. It is not visibly winter for most of the movie, but the epilogue takes place at Christmas
Toy Story 2 (1999) - approx. 1 year ATS - Andy goes to summer camp. Molly is just starting to walk. Andy doesn't have any notable new toys. Seems reasonable that it should be 6-8 months after the epilogue of Toy Story, and maybe close to Andy's 9th birthday.
Toy Story 3 (2009) - 11 years ATS - Andy is preparing for college, so it's presumably summer, and he is presumably 18, or possibly 19 if he has a summer birthday. 10 years have passed both in universe and irl since Toy Story 2.
Toy Story 4 (2019) 12-13 years ATS - Bonnie is starting kindergarden. Since it was summer when Andy gave her the toys, and there have been Halloween and Christmas television shorts that take place during the toys' time with Bonnie, then Bonnie has had the toys for at least one year. Based on her character model in Toy Story 3, it does not seem reasonable that more than 2 years have passed.

So if we have to pick a 13 year period from 1995 to 2019, what range makes the most sense? The fairly new looking minivan and the Lion King soundtrack in TS1 make it pretty hard to place it post-2000 in the chronology imo. Are there smart phones in Toy Story 3?

General Dog fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jun 27, 2019

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Toy Story 5 pitch- The year is 2295. After the disappearance of humans from Earth (maybe it's in the WALL-E universe, maybe not), Woody, Buzz, et. al. spend their days finding and reassembling broken toys who were left behind. When they stumble upon a childlike artificial intelligence that demonstrates the ability and desire for "play", Woody goes on an odyssey to recover Andy's skull, in hopes that the AI will "play" with it, thus making Andy's remains a toy and bringing him to life. Friction over the plan brings Woody and Buzz's relationship to the breaking point.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

General Dog posted:

Toy Story 5 pitch- The year is 2295. After the disappearance of humans from Earth (maybe it's in the WALL-E universe, maybe not), Woody, Buzz, et. al. spend their days finding and reassembling broken toys who were left behind. When they stumble upon a childlike artificial intelligence that demonstrates the ability and desire for "play", Woody goes on an odyssey to recover Andy's skull, in hopes that the AI will "play" with it, thus making Andy's remains a toy and bringing him to life. Friction over the plan brings Woody and Buzz's relationship to the breaking point.

WARNING:
"W00D1" IS THE FIRST OF A NEW GENERATION OF TOYS WHICH CONTAIN AN INNOVATIVE NEW FEATURE - THE ABILITY TO THINK, FEEL, AND MAKE THEIR OWN DECISIONS. HOWEVER, THIS ABILITY COULD BE VERY DANGEROUS. IF "W00D1" WERE TO BREAK THE FIRST RULE OF TOYS, "A TOY MUST NEVER HARM A HUMAN BEING", THE RESULTS WOULD BE DISASTROUS AND I FEAR THAT NO FORCE ON EARTH COULD STOP HIM.

APPROXIMATELY 30 YEARS WILL BE REQUIRED BEFORE WE CAN SAFELY CONFIRM HIS RELIABILITY. UNFORTUNATELY, I WILL NOT LIVE TO SEE THAT DAY, NOR DO I HAVE ANYONE TO CARRY ON MY WORK. THEREFORE, I HAVE DECIDED TO SEAL HIM IN THIS CAPSULE WHICH WILL TEST HIS INTERNAL SYSTEMS UNTIL HIS RELIABILITY HAS BEEN CONFIRMED. PLEASE DO NOT DISTURB THE CAPSULE UNTIL THAT TIME.

"W00D1" POSSESSES GREAT RISKS AS WELL AS GREAT POSSIBILITIES. I CAN ONLY HOPE FOR THE BEST.
SEPTEMBER 18, 20XX
A. LIGHT

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
Having not seen Toy Story 4, is there a Silly Putty toy that comes to life and moves a la old school claymation style? Because I just thought of that it sounds like something cool for a handful of gags in a Toy Story movie.

dirksteadfast fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jun 28, 2019

stratofarius
May 17, 2019

dirksteadfast posted:

Having not seen Tou Story 4, is there a Silly Putty toy that comes to life and moves a la old school claymation style? Because I just thought of that it sounds like something cool for a handful of gags in a Toy Story movie.

Forky's mouth is kinda stop-motion. Otherwise, not much.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

General Dog posted:

This honestly doesn't sound very different than this official disney media

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7yESis3lKw

(I also want to mention an infinite number of times that the monsters inc section worked on the concept that laughter and fear are transitory temporary emotions and poor power sources but if you make a child sad enough they will simply be sad forever because that should be the third movie and also is the darkest thing I have ever heard ever)

Owlofcreamcheese fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jun 28, 2019

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

This honestly doesn't sound very different than this official disney media

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7yESis3lKw

(I also want to mention an infinite number of times that the monsters inc section worked on the concept that laughter and fear are transitory temporary emotions and poor power sources but if you make a child sad enough they will simply be sad forever because that should be the third movie and also is the darkest thing I have ever heard ever)

I also want to mention an infinite number of times that Pixar signed on Toy Story in KH3 on the condition that it would be canon to the Toy Story universe.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I finally got around to watching Love, Death & Robots last night and it was really good. Like, drat. I had no expectations and couldn't stop watching until I finished the series. Some shorts weren't as good as the others, but overall they were all very well made. Definitely recommended. Very NSFW. Lots of dicks, T&A, and violence.

If I had to pick a top 5 from the set, I'd go with: Sonnie's Edge, The Witness, Suits, Beyond the Aquila Rift, and Good Hunting. The animation in Good Hunting and The Witness were standouts imo. Loved the aesthetic of Sonnie's Edge and Suits; the former gave off heavy Cyberpunk 2077 vibes, with the latter feeling inspired by Starcraft and Overwatch. I'd say Beyond the Aquila Rift had my favorite story, with Sonnie's Edge right up there. Zima Blue's story gets an honorable mention; enjoyed it a lot, but I wasn't too keen on the animation style. All very cool and unique shorts though. Waiting on season 2 to be announced.

[edit] The only shorts I didn't really like where the Alternate Histories one, the Vlad the Impaler one, and The Dump. Everything else was solid.

teagone fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jun 28, 2019

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
drat, woody is savage

"nobody loves you. oh, and you don't have any friends either"

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Detective No. 27 posted:

I also want to mention an infinite number of times that Pixar signed on Toy Story in KH3 on the condition that it would be canon to the Toy Story universe.

Anyone reading this: he's not joking, that is a real thing.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
You should still totally watch Phineas and Ferb: Star Wars. (and keep in mind it was made before Rogue One, one of the first things Disney did with the license in fact)

Pity that Disney basically never acknowledges its TV animation output most of the time, Lilo and Stitch aside which for some insane reason had crossovers with literally every cartoon Disney had going around that time. (being basically the swan song for many) I suppose it's probably because Disney's movies are the only franchises that are likely to be recognised in Japan, while I have no idea but I kinda doubt that Phineas and Ferb, Gravity Falls and even DuckTales necessarily have a significant audience there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
My favourite story about that is going to a Disney Store and asking if they had any Gravity Falls merch, and the store clerk said they didn’t because it’s a Cartoon Network show.