Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames
I thought they were fixing the balkanized borders? My neighbors are being pricks. I can't block off sections of space anymore. If I allow them border access they'll pass through and start claiming poo poo on the other side of mine despite the fact that their hyperlane has to go through my poo poo.

If they're making this a thing (which I'd be ok with, had I been warned :argh:) then they should at least make it possible to get the system traded back to you, which last time I checked never happens no matter what you offer up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

With the current beta patch they're only supposed to go 2 jumps out from their borders -- ie, they'll only skip over a single system. Since that patch I haven't seen anything to show that isn't the case.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Zurai posted:

With the current beta patch they're only supposed to go 2 jumps out from their borders -- ie, they'll only skip over a single system. Since that patch I haven't seen anything to show that isn't the case.

oh gently caress ok. Gracias. :doh:

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Zurai posted:

This logic also applies to gateways. I had some aliens claim an isolated system on the other side of the galaxy because I repaired a gateway that they had access to.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames
Is the galactic market hub nomination thing broken again or is it just whoever discovers half of the empires in the game has the advantage?

Also do Inward Perfectionists even get a chance at it? It says the market leader is some unidentified empire right now that I've never heard of...

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016
If you don't coddle Nazis flat Earthers then you're literally as bad as them.

Preston Waters posted:

Is the galactic market hub nomination thing broken again or is it just whoever discovers half of the empires in the game has the advantage?

Also do Inward Perfectionists even get a chance at it? It says the market leader is some unidentified empire right now that I've never heard of...

The market hub nomination is just a lottery, the better your nomination the more tickets you get basically. 5 levels of nomination strength with 10 tickets per level, so even with the best possible nomination if you're up against 15 other empires who all have the weakest nomination you only have a 1 in 4 chance to win.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Dire Lemming posted:

The market hub nomination is just a lottery, the better your nomination the more tickets you get basically. 5 levels of nomination strength with 10 tickets per level, so even with the best possible nomination if you're up against 15 other empires who all have the weakest nomination you only have a 1 in 4 chance to win.

well I used to always win, goddamnit

but I didn't even get a chance to nominate this time!

I'm inward perfectionist -- I didn't think that mattered, but maybe it's because I was really late to discovering half the empires?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Aethernet posted:

I think the thing is that I'm less persuaded that research is contributing to the midgame slump than you. Things I think are contributing include:

- Poor resource balancing, where the interesting scarcity of the early game gives way to being swamped in resources by the midgame. You can't spend those resources on constant wars because you'll run out of influence very quickly. Humiliation wars are only possible on opponents close to you in strength, and even if you do win rather than getting a status quo you needed that 100 influence to claim their worlds at the start of the war, rather than after it. Declaring a humiliation war should give you influence when you declare it, and hit you with a massive malus for doing so if you take a white peace.

- Not enough balance-of-power shifts to produce the conditions for war. In EUIV a war victor will often be low on manpower and suffering overextension penalties, making them a good target. In Stellaris, inevitably a war victor is stronger after a war, as attrition is really not very high.

- Little pressure for war as a consequence of both of the above. If I am self sufficient and maxing out my stockpiles I have little reason to go to war. This is where a political/diplomatic revamp comes in: my factions should be agitating for particular diplomatic outcomes, rather than 'have x friends' or 'have y enemies'. It's also why resource refineries were the single worst choice of the 2.2 patch.

A research revamp would be good, but diplomacy and resource balance need a pass first, I would argue.
I'm not saying research is the only cause of the mid game slump, and I don't think fixing it will fix everything else. I do think it is contributing factor, both directly (the "waiting for stuff to happen" feeling) and indirectly (I have so many goddamned minerals and not enough alloys it'd be sure nice if I could work toward more ways to make alloys or at least something that eats minerals!). But at least as importantly I do think that leaving it as it is will make other revamps harder because they won't be able to rely on what should be one of the biggest tools at their disposal.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Sure, and I agree that it's important to consider how the tech system impacts the game. In my opinion, it affects the entire game, from the early game, to the midgame, to the lategame. The three simultaneous branches thing seems to simply involve tripling the player interaction without any meaningful upside to the choices. In the very early game there's some difference between which techs you get, but it's largely RNG driven. So yes, there is *some* variation in the early game but it's not driven by my decisions - my decisions are constrained to the choices available. I'm on board with the RNG aspect, just that in the very early game when the tech variations are more interesting, it constrains the player choice right when they might be able to make interesting choices.

In the midgame the RNG provides variety but by then the game has started to settle into the usual routine. Again, using Star Trek New Horizons as a comparison, one of the first tech choices they ask is do you want your ship research to focus on beefy bricks (in the direction of ships of the line / heavy ships) or speedy attack ships (more like gunboats and frigates). Another choice appears later with focusing more on phasers or photon torpedoes. You get a choice on whether you'll be the friendly united federation of planets or bizarro earth and all evil. These decisions offer early player choices and add variety to the playthrough, and the tech upgrades that go with these choices are more meaningful than vanilla stellaris. They also reworked the fleet comps to make individual ships much more meaningful, and that also impacts the tech choices that go into those ships as well as their loadout. Given that this is a mod that managed to make the system more engaging I'd like to see Paradox take a look at Stellaris tech tree and see if they can do something to make it more relevant to the entire playthrough as well as adding variety to the playthroughs.

I don't think we're massively far away from each other on this. There's something to be said for making early game tech choices more meaningful - although I agree with Splicer that the three trees offer considerable benefits as a design - but that would be to emphasise even further the concentration of interesting choices in Stellaris's early game, when we want to increase them throughout.

New Horizons is a case in point. Yes, there are techs that involve a hard choice - which is good - but there's actually not that many of them, and you've listed the major ones. NH's rebalancing of ship costs goes a long way towards tackling the resource surplus issue I set out, which is why it has a better midgame.

I think the solution to this clearly is that @Darkrenown should immediately deliver a patch that revamps research, diplomacy and resource balancing to satisfy us all at once.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

I know some people don't like how factions work but I love things like this:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Completely opposite direction, what would people think of randomised tradition layouts? Keep all the expansion stuff in expansion but randomise the order every game?

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

Preston Waters posted:

well I used to always win, goddamnit

but I didn't even get a chance to nominate this time!

I'm inward perfectionist -- I didn't think that mattered, but maybe it's because I was really late to discovering half the empires?

my assimilators got the market without the popup for the thing even firing, one day I just got the message "the galactic market has been established on your planet"

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Martout posted:

my assimilators got the market without the popup for the thing even firing, one day I just got the message "the galactic market has been established on your planet"

ok so it's borked

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Preston Waters posted:

ok so it's borked
It's working exactly as intended but how it's intended is not very good.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

aegof posted:

Pretend I responded to this with a line drawing of a Gadsen robot snake-gimp declaring, "PLEASE_TREAD_ON_ME_01".

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

aegof posted:

Why was I programmed to feel SELF LOATHING

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Preston Waters posted:

ok so it's borked
I'm also pretty sure that Inward Perfectionists either outright cannot get the Galctic Market or if they can it is significantly harder. They are *inward* perfectionists, after all.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Splicer posted:

Completely opposite direction, what would people think of randomised tradition layouts? Keep all the expansion stuff in expansion but randomise the order every game?

Finishers stay finishers I assume? (And openers openers?) Seems like a neat idea. Not sure how much it would actually chane though.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I'm pretty sure Inward Perfectionists can't get the galactic market.

In my lP game, I distinctly remember reloading a save before 2250 and then trading for contact info for the rest of the galaxy that I hadn't already met and still didn't get the chance to try for the galactic market.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Splicer posted:

I'd like to see more traditions, and have them be tied to your starting conditions and ethics. Like you need to have X% militarist to take supremacy (side note: make war doctrines available to everyone).

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Am I an idiot because I can't for the life of me find the tab or menu where it shows how many minor relics I have.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Am I an idiot because I can't for the life of me find the tab or menu where it shows how many minor relics I have.
Go to traditions, open the relics tab, it's on the top right. I know where it is and keep not seeing it.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Sultan Tarquin posted:

It's under traditions. At the bottom there's a tab for relics. Above the list of things you can do with minor relics is the number of minor relics you currently own.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

I just got the Galactic Market as Inward Perfectionists. I do play modded, but none of my mods do anything to the Galactic Market or Inward Perfectionists, to my knowledge.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Zurai posted:

I just got the Galactic Market as Inward Perfectionists. I do play modded, but none of my mods do anything to the Galactic Market or Inward Perfectionists, to my knowledge.

Since I remember reloading to try it, I also remember wondering if I needed to have a commercial zone or some other economy building/tech.

Descar
Apr 19, 2010
I really like the in game info they give you..

So, i researched the Dyson Sphere, after having saved up enough to build 2 when it was finished,
then i spend thousand of alloys and influence and start my glorious project.

Wait, 10 years for it to finish step one, only to find out.. hey, your only allowed to have one Dyson sphere, so that other one you were building, it disappears. with everything you put into it.
Not to mention i cannot build habitats or anything else while waiting for this to finish.

Nice way to tell players they can only build one.
and why can you only have one? does this count for all mega structures too? I can't find any info about it.
I mean, by the time you finish these things, the game is already done.
If i want to build 10 Dyson sphere's , let me do it, wtf

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Complications posted:

Either side can freely surrender during a war. If you want to impose a surrender on your enemy then yeah those modifiers matter. However, the AI can surrender regardless, and early, of what the modifiers look like if it decides that it's the right thing to do. Humiliation wars it'll end fairly quick after losing almost all of its pops to NA once, since you'll have way out snowballed it. Conquest wars not so much, the AI values its worlds very very highly. As long as the world isn't occupied the AI's not going to be inclined to throw in the towel.

Then you white peace, keep all the pops you stole, and the AI keeps the world so you can come back to farm it later.

The modifiers matter, but the CB you choose doesn't. So assuming the case where you make a claim on a planet, and then never occupy that planet (deliberately or otherwise), the AI is no more likely to surrender if the CB is Animosity or Conquest.

The only case where it does matter is Total War CBs, where there's a -1000 to surrender.

Descar posted:

and why can you only have one? does this count for all mega structures too? I can't find any info about it.
I mean, by the time you finish these things, the game is already done.
If i want to build 10 Dyson sphere's , let me do it, wtf

I was looking at this the other night, most megastructures you can only have one of, but it looks like you can build as many Matter Decompressors and Ring Worlds as you want.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

PittTheElder posted:

The modifiers matter, but the CB you choose doesn't. So assuming the case where you make a claim on a planet, and then never occupy that planet (deliberately or otherwise), the AI is no more likely to surrender if the CB is Animosity or Conquest.

The only case where it does matter is Total War CBs, where there's a -1000 to surrender.

The CB absolutely matters in whether the AI will surrender. AIs are actually pretty willing to surrender to a Humiliation CB as long as you occupy a chunk of their territory (regardless of claims) but won't surrender to a Conquest CB unless they've already lost all the claimed territory and a good bit besides.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Yeah they'll drop out of a humiliation real quick if one is snagging pops.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

You can definitely have more than one Dyson. Or maybe that changed with relics?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Saros posted:

You can definitely have more than one Dyson. Or maybe that changed with relics?

I don't know about post-Relics, but before that, you could never build multiple. You could have more than one if:

a) You repaired a ruined one in addition to the one you built.
b) Captured one from another empire. You could potentially capture multiple, if multiple empires had them.

Post-Relics, I still don't think you can build more than one, but I could be wrong.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
So how are Habitats in this post-Ecu nerfing galaxy? The resource extraction districts look promising.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Zurai posted:

AIs are actually pretty willing to surrender to a Humiliation CB as long as you occupy a chunk of their territory (regardless of claims) but won't surrender to a Conquest CB unless they've already lost all the claimed territory and a good bit besides.

I find that depends on war exhaustion and relative fleet power...usually by the time I can actually take all the claimed territory the AI will give up on a Conquest CB.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Captain Oblivious posted:

So how are Habitats in this post-Ecu nerfing galaxy? The resource extraction districts look promising.

It saved my rear end in my current game. I was forced to build tall because I was pinned in by a Xenophobe FE and a couple unfriendly locals. I lucked out and got the Baol Relic which let me maximize what planets I had, but as soon as I was able to start building habitats I started building them at mineral locations, and later energy locations. I had a rough spot where I needed a shitton of alloys and just needed to keep buying minerals to keep up. Those habitats eventually helped me closed the gap and stabilize.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I finally finished my 2.2 game and of course the second my Driven Assimilators save the galaxy everyone closes borders. Next time I should let the Prethoryns have their fill long enough to get the captive queen achievement. They spawned on the complete other side of the map from my ~45% and I still felt like I had to stop them before they built momentum because the A.I. would never have managed.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
I got the last best hope this time because I got strong enough to beat that xenophobe FE near me, so I went for it. While the war was ongoing, the first of the war in heaven combatants woke. The war with the xenophobe ended with status quo because of exhaustion, so they were left with one lovely system. Anyway I lucked out and they ended up being the rival, game on :black101:

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Preston Waters posted:

It's super broken, the weights don't work properly at all. It's supposed to be semi-random, but it's actually totally random and nominations aren't factored in at all. It's currently just a massive waste of cash and influence.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Shumagorath posted:

I finally finished my 2.2 game and of course the second my Driven Assimilators save the galaxy everyone closes borders. Next time I should let the Prethoryns have their fill long enough to get the captive queen achievement. They spawned on the complete other side of the map from my ~45% and I still felt like I had to stop them before they built momentum because the A.I. would never have managed.

The end game crises don't really build momentum, in fact I find they tend to lose it the bigger they get, especially the Unbidden.

Zurai posted:

The CB absolutely matters in whether the AI will surrender. AIs are actually pretty willing to surrender to a Humiliation CB as long as you occupy a chunk of their territory (regardless of claims) but won't surrender to a Conquest CB unless they've already lost all the claimed territory and a good bit besides.

Well this is something to check into, because it doesn't appear with my experience at all. Sounds really exploitable if they'll concede unoccupied territory just because you're stealing some pops.

Vengarr posted:

It's super broken, the weights don't work properly at all. It's supposed to be semi-random, but it's actually totally random and nominations aren't factored in at all. It's currently just a massive waste of cash and influence.

I've invested in the decisions and get given the market hub pretty regularly, and then don't get it when I don't. I don't see why that would be the case unless the AI just never nominates their planets.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jun 25, 2019

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

PittTheElder posted:

Well this is something to check into, because it doesn't appear with my experience at all. Sounds really exploitable if they'll concede unoccupied territory just because you're stealing some pops.
They won't. You're thinking of conquer wars, or status quo. Surrendering on a humiliation war doesn't trade locations it just makes your pops sad, kneecaps your influence gain, and gives the victor some influence.

e: humiliation has no status quo effect, I think it defaults to whatever the opponent picked.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jun 25, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah, the only effects for winning a war with the Humiliation CB is you get 100 influence and they get a happiness penalty for a few years, which is why the AI is so willing to give up if they're losing.