Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Ensign Expendable posted:

It summons the funkwagen.
in the uk you can't do that without consent of Parliament

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Nenonen posted:

I'm the FEST key. I know it's something really basic but I want to believe that the SS punched that one when Himmler decided it was time for a festival.

Google says that means 'firmly' so I assume shift (or caps lock if that exists at this tech levrl)

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Squalid posted:

this thread isn't much use if people are just yelling and posturing. There's plenty of other places to do that on the forum.

I find the intersection of violence and politics fascinating. In many conflicts the legality of actions is determined retroactively. It's also interesting to see instances in which political violence is deemed acceptable.

This is a picture from May Day in Paris. Anthropologically, I find this to be an extremely interested custom, although it is confusing. See every year the state squares up against the radicals and together they have a nice little riot. Everything is amazingly well organized and disciplined. Scheduled Everyone comes on schedule and participants fall into one of three teams: police, protester, and media. Each has an easily identifiable uniform and a well defined role in the performance. Protestors can use molotovs, fireworks and clubs but not guns or bladed weapons. Police use tear gas, rubber bullets and batons but not guns either.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoxsDkB-rWU

It's so formalistic, its almost more like a sport than a protest. Before clashes start journalists are carefully herded out of the way. Press can mingle somewhat freely with either side so long as they are correctly marked, after all you wouldn't want to look bad in the papers. And yet despite the organization every year people suffer disfiguring burns, or a rubber bullet to the eye, or are even killed. And then they do it again the next year. It is political violence, but it violence that is highly normalized, if not entirely accepted. I'm not sure what exactly is accomplished, but it seems like at the end of the day most people go home satisfied.

Varying levels of extra-legal force and violence are an accepted part of political activism in essentially every country, the United States included. For example, many people within the African-American community see riots as to some extent justified as a form of political protest, following what they see as expressions of injustice, as after the Rodney King trial. It is an extremely expensive and wasteful form of expression, but common nevertheless. When violence reaches the level of civil war or insurgency, the legality of actions will typically be determined retroactively.

In the most extreme cases where the state realizes it has lost the monopoly of force and has no hope of imposing its will by force, it must negotiate. Almost all civil wars end with general amnesties. That inevitably means killers and murderers get to go home like nothing happened, and will never face any kind of justice. Often they even get to keep that which they took by force. In this world power is never absolute, there is always a negotiation.

In the case of Confederate statues, I think many of their defenders have made some serious missteps. The southern state houses have assumed that they don't have to negotiate, and that they can impose these statues on cities, universities, and other communities by force of law, regardless of local opposition. This I believe is a mistake. What will they do if the city police refuse to investigate, the local district attorney refuses to prosecute, and the city council refuses to remediate damage? It puts them in a hard place politically.

I realise this was a week ago, but this is atrociously written satire about labour day in France right?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

feedmegin posted:

Google says that means 'firmly' so I assume shift (or caps lock if that exists at this tech levrl)
it means hold something and keep it that way, analogous to the fast in English "hold fast." Capslock.

edit: on a typewriter from the 40s capslock is hard to push and makes a very satisfying CHUNK as it moves the entire rack of keys

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jun 25, 2019

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

zoux posted:

Qwertzee
the Z and the Y are still switched in german keyboards and it fucks my brain up when i'm over there

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
AZERTY killed me when I was troubleshooting a French housemate's laptop. Just enough of the keys are in the same place that I would keep forgetting it wasn't QWERTY and let muscle memory take over.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

How good were the European nobles at avoiding sneaky adultery that produced children? If you dig up a selection of Hapsburgs etc. from over the centuries and run their DNA, how Habsburg are they and how many, uh, bastards are in there? If a woman from another house marries into, for example, the Hapsburgs and has an affair that produces a child the result is a "Habsburg" that is not at all related to any actual Hapsburg, did that happen occasionally, frequently, not at all, how good were they at preventing it, how did they go about preventing it? Catherine the Great apparently had zero children from her husband and everybody just rolled with it.

:discourse:

aphid_licker fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jun 25, 2019

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
lol sneaky?

sneaking around is for the bourgeoisie. these people cheat on one another proudly

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Xiahou Dun posted:

Why are the colon and the semicolon on separate buttons? I know that's a really minor thing to care about, but it bugs the hell out of me.

That's pretty common for non-English keyboard layouts (as just two examples, look at Albanian [the first on the list] and Latin American):

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/globalization/windows-keyboard-layouts

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

HEY GUNS posted:

lol sneaky?

sneaking around is for the bourgeoisie. these people cheat on one another proudly
So if we dig up a Habsburg from 300 years ago and compare his DNA to that of a current Habsburg are they gonna show up as decently related? Admittedly I have doubts if you can even do that over this sort of time. I know that you can determine relations from DNA samples, they used that to catch a murderer recently a cousin of whom had submitted DNA to some ancestry site, but idk if it works over ten generations and a "family" that size. So say someone who going by the official family tree should be a direct-line descendant, is he gonna be 80% direct-line in practice, 60%?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

550 lb bomb from WWII explodes under a barley field in Ahlbach

Crater is 33' wide and 13' deep.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

And if the rune key ever breaks, you can use that nifty "LOSER" key on the left instead

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

*ding ding ding ding ding*

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Don't gently caress around with 1000 kilograms of explosives.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Right under the tramline too. Side note that is some nice farming.

zoux posted:

550 lb bomb

Jobbo_Fett posted:

1000 kilograms of explosives

:raise:

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jun 25, 2019

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Don't gently caress around with 1000 kilograms of explosives.

iirc it was only a 250kg bomb or so.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
For some reason on my phone that image makes my brain insist it's a dome rather than a crater. Doesn't happen on my my computer monitor for :confused: reasons.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

bewbies posted:

Right now they have four airborne divisions (2 heavy and 2 light) plus a light airborne brigade.

Heavy divisions are tank company, plus two light/BMD regiments. So, ~30 or so tanks, a tiny handful of IFVs (BTR-82AM) and around 400 or so APFC, either BTR-Ds or BMDs. The vast majority of the BMDs are still the -1s; they're moving BMD-4s over to the VDV pretty aggressively though.

Artillery is around 80 or so of the 120mm rapid fire mortar platforms, plus maybe 20 SPAAGs in BTR form

edit - 400, not 600

That seems pretty heavy. Wiki says a division is 10k-25k. That sound accurate? They're probably not jumping out of planes much, right? It's more elite leg infantry with an emphasis on mobility and a history of jumping out of perfectly good airplanes? I ask because tanks are heavy as poo poo and it seems like it'd be hard to drop them in without first establishing an airhead

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Cyrano4747 posted:

iirc it was only a 250kg bomb or so.

Multiplied when I meant to divide, derp.

loving imperials.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
I mean you shouldn't be loving around with any amount of explosives, frankly.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
:hmmyes:

FrangibleCover
Jan 23, 2018

Nothing going on in my quiet corner of the Pacific.

This is the life. I'm just lying here in my hammock in Townsville, sipping a G&T.

Milo and POTUS posted:

That seems pretty heavy. Wiki says a division is 10k-25k. That sound accurate? They're probably not jumping out of planes much, right? It's more elite leg infantry with an emphasis on mobility and a history of jumping out of perfectly good airplanes? I ask because tanks are heavy as poo poo and it seems like it'd be hard to drop them in without first establishing an airhead
Yeah, the modern Heavy units aren't jump capable any more because of the tanks. Everything else can fall out of a plane just fine. The Ukrainian VDV has done the same thing with heavy armour too, I guess they just don't see the necessity of airmobility any more?

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

HEY GUNS posted:

in the uk you can't do that without consent of Parliament

In contrast to the UK parliament, the american Parliament is always down to funk.

The Sdkfz 263 armored Funkwagen is ideal for when the Funkmeister needs to deliver some desperately needed funk to the frontline troops.

edit: This 20 year old Onion piece is extremely relevant

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

ilmucche posted:

I realise this was a week ago, but this is atrociously written satire about labour day in France right?

It was meant to be humorously exaggerated a bit in the style of Body Ritual Among the Nacirema but I was also serious about not really understanding the social and political function of these kinds of protest activities. In the video there's a moment in an interview before the march when a protester predicts things might get "a bit tough, a bit sporty at some point." A comparison to sports seems very apt. There's a lot in politics which is very game like, and even those doing things that are technically illegal are going to follow a lot of unwritten rules. I find it interesting to break down these customs to understand their social function and political role, which are not always obvious.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I’ve never used a regular typewriter, but I’ve used an old Enigma machine. Every key press spins the rotor so they’re very stiff.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
germans, lawsuits

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/jun/25/kaisers-descendant-loses-court-battle-to-regain-13th-century-rheinfels-castle

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

chitoryu12 posted:

I’ve never used a regular typewriter, but I’ve used an old Enigma machine. Every key press spins the rotor so they’re very stiff.

it’s actually incredibly satisfying in a way i can’t put into words. do you like mechanical keyboards? it’s a very similar visceral experience.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

TK-42-1 posted:

it’s actually incredibly satisfying in a way i can’t put into words. do you like mechanical keyboards? it’s a very similar visceral experience.
and it smells good

https://twitter.com/AFP/status/1143321307062292480

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

that owns so much

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Want that dog mural tattoo'ed on my back

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Oh man guys there is another way I can cosplay as a Nazi allied soldier?! Boy howdy I love dressing up as an Axis soldier

Seriously gently caress off with this poo poo.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Seriously gently caress off with this poo poo.
He apologized, it's past.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

TK-42-1 posted:

I learned to type on the old-style mechanical keyboards, like the ones with tons of actual metal inside, back in the day and I miss those satisfying clunky clicks so much.

The downside is it taught me to hit the keys like they owe me money and no one will let me use their keyboard once they see me type. My dissertation has killed so many laptops so far. :(

This also got carried over to video game controllers which I just destroy, but those at least aren't that expensive.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
Is there a decent comparison out there of the various light/heavy cruisers of WWII ala the Best Battleship page on Combined Fleet? People seem to always focus on the battleships/battlecruisers when practically they often didn't do the bulk of the surface fighting.

Xiahou Dun posted:

This also got carried over to video game controllers which I just destroy, but those at least aren't that expensive.

The new XBox controller is $180.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

C.M. Kruger posted:

Woof. Okay, good to know. I haven't done much console gaming for quite some time, see the mention about dissertating, above. I'll keep that in mind in case I ever have spare income or time again. This might explain why my friends don't invite me to play video games much anymore.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Oh hey, something I have (somewhat) direct knowledge of. My cousin spent his mandatory service as part of the Mexican navy unit that was in Mexico City for the earthquake, and his one actual call to action turned out to be the earthquake.

I have no stories because I never asked him about it, but he did take photos in between saving people. I guess I can ask him for them if you all are really curious?

Unfortunately I don't know if he came in contact with the dog.

Xiahou Dun posted:

Woof. Okay, good to know. I haven't done much console gaming for quite some time, see the mention about dissertating, above. I'll keep that in mind in case I ever have spare income or time again. This might explain why my friends don't invite me to play video games much anymore.

If it makes you feel better, a PS4 controller is only 60 bucks or so so you can smash THREE for the price of one!

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

C.M. Kruger posted:

Is there a decent comparison out there of the various light/heavy cruisers of WWII ala the Best Battleship page on Combined Fleet? People seem to always focus on the battleships/battlecruisers when practically they often didn't do the bulk of the surface fighting.

Apparently that's just the real fancy one, the regular one is still ~$50 and a cheap third party controller can still be had for under $30.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I mean you shouldn't be loving around with any amount of explosives, frankly.

Check out this guy that's trying to ruin my Fourth of July. I was even going to get some of the little pew pew tanks.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Don Gato posted:

Unfortunately I don't know if he came in contact with the dog.
unreasonably happy that your cousin may have met a famous dog
https://twitter.com/dog_rates/status/1143233751100489728

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Isn't that the account that changed the Arab name of a dog "in order to get more engagements"