Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Does Kawhi stay?
This poll is closed.
He stay 95 32.20%
He leave 99 33.56%
ask Uncle Dennis 57 19.32%
burn down Toronto if he doesn't 44 14.92%
Total: 295 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

I am shocked Ric Bucher was wrong again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

I'm mostly advocating Capela as a much needed quality backup C, but I'm unclear how he'd do as a PF. I'd still imagine there'd be times where they could smother teams with defense though.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Doltos posted:

#40's got hops but #10's got NBA flopping potential

He got taken to school, another guy got yakked on and the most embarrassing part is the flop lol

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Ghost Dog posted:

the sixers already have a pf who cant shoot why would they want to play 2 at a time

:hfive:

e: the other part of the breakfast club interview with Iggy where he discusses Mark Jackson, his preaching, and how his homophobic poo poo is partially why he got pushed out. (the stuff at the end is pretty interesting too about how players are pretty clued into the way owners try to manipulate them)

https://streamable.com/1hf45

BWV fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jun 26, 2019

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

so Iggy is homophobic too huh, not surprising

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

iamsosmrt posted:

I'm mostly advocating Capela as a much needed quality backup C, but I'm unclear how he'd do as a PF. I'd still imagine there'd be times where they could smother teams with defense though.

Paying a backup center that much money is extremely stupid roster construction. Capela holds up well on switches for a center he loses a lot of his defensive value if he's playing the four a lot.

It is super easy to find competent regular season backup centers for the minimum and in the playoffs you can play Tucker there in a lot of lineups like the Rockets have

MourningView fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jun 26, 2019

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
What are reasonable expectations for Porzingis next season?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The sixers aren’t trading for Capela it is morey lunacy

Woj needed to lead the show off with something and a morey text is the best he had . Sad Woj

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Yeah the story is literally just "the rockets would like to trade for Jimmy Butler" which, like, no poo poo

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Spacebump posted:

I honestly think he'll be back to 100% next year. ACL isn't as serious as it used to be and he never banged heavy in the post or anything so it would be a shock to see him struggle outside of shaking off the rust

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Spacebump posted:

Tall Derrick Rose.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

euphronius posted:

The sixers aren’t trading for Capela it is morey lunacy

Woj needed to lead the show off with something and a morey text is the best he had . Sad Woj
Yup. I did find this part interesting and not very auspicious considering Heller's departure.
https://twitter.com/SixersAdam/status/1143659394653204481?s=19

MourningView posted:

Yeah the story is literally just "the rockets would like to trade for Jimmy Butler" which, like, no poo poo
It would require both teams to do massive roster reconstructions, a complex multi-team trade with players going to 3-4 teams, and for Jimmy Butler (who is smart, business-oriented, and grew up in abject poverty) to sacrifice ~$50 million when he's previously said that he doesn't want to play into his late 30s.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
It’ll be interesting to see how Porzingis looks on a good, well-coached team. Shotblocking + threes is obviously a crazy valuable combo but he always seemed a touch overrated in NY, not incredibly efficient on offense and able to get bullied on defense

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

MourningView posted:

Paying a backup center that much money is extremely stupid roster construction. Capela holds up well on switches for a center he loses a lot of his defensive value if he's playing the four a lot.

It is super easy to find competent regular season backup centers for the minimum and in the playoffs you can play Tucker there in a lot of lineups like the Rockets have

If Embiid goes through the Kawhi load management plan, that'd probably need an above minimum pay-grade C to play all those missed games and minutes. I don't trust the Bobans, Amirs, and Greg Monroes of the world, it doesn't seem as easy as you make it out to be to get competent ones. I'm not sure what the proper salary of said person would be in the current salary climate, but it's probably at a luxury level the Sixers owners can afford.

In an ideal world, Jonah Bolden will have spent 3 Earth days in a Hyperbolic Time Chamber to become the perfect cheap backup PF/C.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

the entire concept of the kawhi load management plan is that the regular season minutes he misses do not matter. if they matter enough that you plan to have a second starting center then you just wouldnt rest your star in the first place

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Id love to manage Kawhi's load know what I'm sayin

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Spacebump posted:

He's been back running drills for a bit now and should be good to go for the season. If he's back from the ACL tear you got yourself a reliable second option volume scorer behind Doncic. Also he's a better rebounder than his stats indicate since he was just always next to a black hole rebounder. Biggest issues were conditioning and injuries other than that he's pretty much a star and still like 22 years old, but the conditioning and constant injuries are big risks.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Ghost Dog posted:

the entire concept of the kawhi load management plan is that the regular season minutes he misses do not matter. if they matter enough that you plan to have a second starting center then you just wouldnt rest your star in the first place

The Sixers also rely a lot more on Embiid for both offense and defense than the Raptors do on Kawhi. As great as Kawhi is, they were mostly good enough to win 17 of 22 games without him. By contrast, the Sixers won only 8 of 18 games that Embiid missed. There's a reason the Raptors were considered a deep team going into the playoffs.

It's probably an issue with coaching, but regardless, the Sixers went into the season with terrible backup C options and it cost them pretty big, both in potential standings and in Embiid's health during the playoffs.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

everyone writing off the bulls is forgetting that they are getting denzel valentine back next season, write 'em in for the 8 seed, 7 seed if they re-sign Robin Lopez

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

iamsosmrt posted:

The Sixers also rely a lot more on Embiid for both offense and defense than the Raptors do on Kawhi. As great as Kawhi is, they were mostly good enough to win 17 of 22 games without him. By contrast, the Sixers won only 8 of 18 games that Embiid missed. There's a reason the Raptors were considered a deep team going into the playoffs.

It's probably an issue with coaching, but regardless, the Sixers went into the season with terrible backup C options and it cost them pretty big, both in potential standings and in Embiid's health during the playoffs.

sounds like they cant rest their star on purpose then

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

iamsosmrt posted:

This contributes to my theory that guys like Greg Monroe are the most detrimental players to a team because they trick coaches and teammates into thinking they are serviceable. This leads to teams not replacing them and coaches being okay with them having slightly higher usage rates than they should have. My gut tells me Jae Crowder and Demarre Carroll also have the Monroe Virus , although I've admittedly watched them play less over the past year.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

jae crowder has literally never made a positive basketball play in his entire life and i still dont understand how he fooled anyone into thinking he was good at basketball.

demarre carrol was really good at being called a lebron stopper by announcers as lebron was torching him for like 40 pt triple doubles in the playoffs

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

scuz posted:

Can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning.

yeeeee

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Ghost Dog posted:

jae crowder has literally never made a positive basketball play in his entire life and i still dont understand how he fooled anyone into thinking he was good at basketball.

demarre carrol was really good at being called a lebron stopper by announcers as lebron was torching him for like 40 pt triple doubles in the playoffs

Someone should calculate how much money Brad Stevens has earned rando garbage role players

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Ghost Dog posted:

He was a Celtic

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Ghost Dog posted:

sounds like they cant rest their star on purpose then

You win.

BWV posted:

This contributes to my theory that guys like Greg Monroe are the most detrimental players to a team because they trick coaches and teammates into thinking they are serviceable. This leads to teams not replacing them and coaches being okay with them having slightly higher usage rates than they should have. My gut tells me Jae Crowder and Demarre Carroll also have the Monroe Virus , although I've admittedly watched them play less over the past year.

To be fair to Crowder and Carroll, my impression is they've worked their asses off to achieve what they've gotten--they're guys who could were fringe NBA level to begin with, a lot of coaches fall in love with hard working project players. Monroe started off as a potentially good to great player but seems to have been coasting for a long time.

I think their endpoint is pretty similar to Monroe, but for almost the opposite reason as him--sticking around based on reputations. Their reputations as no frills glue/3 and D guys and Monroe's as an former borderline star vet.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

WhyteRyce posted:

Someone should calculate how much money Brad Stevens has earned rando garbage role players

at the very least 127 million.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

WhyteRyce posted:

Nowhere near as much as Lebron has earned rando garbage teammates.

What player or coach has earned the most money for undeserving players?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

iamsosmrt posted:

Pop

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

I would think so, but I can't remember any big contracts given out to a undeserving Pop guy. Brad Stevens getting Evan Turner a big 4 year contract is a miracle.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
Why would the Rockets be after Butler? Yes he's a plus defender (though for how long as he ages is questionable), but offensively I don't see how he fits with Harden and CP3. Tobias Harris would be a great fit for them at the 4.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

tanglewood1420 posted:

Why would the Rockets be after Butler? Yes he's a plus defender (though for how long as he ages is questionable), but offensively I don't see how he fits with Harden and CP3. Tobias Harris would be a great fit for them at the 4.

I think it's less about fit and just more 'add as much talent as possible' which honestly isn't such a bad strategy. Chemistry wise though, yeah that's seems like a powder keg.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Jae Crowder is a huge man who occasionally makes a booket

He also has some badass fashion style

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Butler is just wild poo poo Morey is throwing out there.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

iamsosmrt posted:

I would think so, but I can't remember any big contracts given out to a undeserving Pop guy. Brad Stevens getting Evan Turner a big 4 year contract is a miracle.

That wasn't really Brad Stevens.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

iamsosmrt posted:

Kerr

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Crowder had some very good matches for Utah, and also some very bad, but overall I liked us having him.

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

iamsosmrt posted:

I would think so, but I can't remember any big contracts given out to a undeserving Pop guy.

Jimmy Boylano, basketball stevedore

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Pau got dumb money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

iamsosmrt posted:

adjusting for inflation, probably steve nash or oscar robertson