Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
:synpa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

this is probably going to be a topper even by the standards of previous mass extinctions

every new bit of data tips the scale away from "humanity dies" and towards "all complex life dies, forever"

Truga posted:

yeah, the amount of time needed for the planet to fix this is probably going to be in millions of years, and then hundreds after poo poo gets "normal" again and life has time to start over. a fairly short time relative to earth's history, but in about 800 million years the sun's going to be large enough to evaporate the last drops of water left on the planet and life's gonna be gone well before that.

we had one chance to figure out tricky scifi physics and maybe survive post earth, and we spent it on making numbers in computer go up hell yeah

lmao my heart is loving pounding reading posts like this

for a long time I was able to keep that existential crisis and panic at bay but it's back baby awoouu

Sing Along
Feb 28, 2017

by Athanatos

snoo posted:

for a long time I was able to keep that existential crisis and panic at bay but it's back baby awoouu

if you lmao too long into the abyss the abyss lmaos back into you

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
On the plus side, it looks like we've solved the Fermi paradox

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

snoo posted:

I read this thread for fun but the sun ruining our beautiful orb is a bit sad, ah well :rip:

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Was bound to happen eventually. Can't live eternally in a cradle.

Turns out we're too stupid to even make it past infancy let alone the cradle haha can't wait to be a raider and crucify richers in the name of Poseidon.

Soviet Space Dog
May 7, 2009
Unicum Space Dog
May 6, 2009

NOBODY WILL REALIZE MY POSTS ARE SHIT NOW THAT MY NAME IS PURPLE :smug:

An insane mind posted:

Is there any reason (other than money) that people deny climate catastrophe? I mean, what I'm trying to say is...ugh...the people who do this are actively dooming future generations. Has there just been a boom in psychopatic births? Every human (that does not have a mental condition that specifically fucks with that part of development) has the capacity to feel empathy right? So how can you not think about what you're doing to the future. How can you deny evidence that is basically clear cut.

I'm sorry, I know I'm rambling and I'll leave you to your lolling but I'm just trying to wrap my head around it.

climate catastrophe is inconsistent with a lot of strongly held beliefs, with the added bonus of the accumulated history of ~200 years of anti-malthusian discourse. also for most people "beliefs" are just an excuse for social posturing and have nothing to do with truth. this has probably been the case for all of human history, it's just that it didn't matter since it was mainly people killing other people directly instead of turning the world into a murderball of climate death

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Moridin920 posted:

Was bound to happen eventually. Can't live eternally in a cradle.

Turns out we're too stupid to even make it past infancy let alone the cradle haha can't wait to be a raider and crucify richers in the name of Poseidon.
yeah people have been talking about existentialist poo poo for thousands of years. the basic premise is your here now, therefore you are now and always will be now, and so live it as fulfilling as you wish and building steps for those to follow to be better. boombers hosed up that last part bc they all put lead in their brains and their supramarginal gyrus is the size of a M&M

christianty n poo poo was one answer to that by those of ye olde by going 'well God made it for you to gently caress up and you'll all go to a happy dance party in the sky with all your memories and friends n family forever n ever nothing bad can ever happen with Him watching' which is a more appealing choice. but everyone always deep down kinda knew and knows is pretty bullshit wishful thinking to not think about it but hey why not.

its always been something discussed by philosophers and writers and basically boils down to the same thing of 'you were non-existent before the universe began, before the previous universe collapsed and reborn, and before that one, and before that one too, and before that one as well, and will be for so many universes yet to come to undergo entropic death and rebirth afterwards, this is your existence in a brief wink of incomprehensible amount of time even among time of matter/energy ever existing in the first place across who knows how many iterations of life and death'

it really doesn't bother me in my everyday life other than 'lol thats gunna suck but heyoo well im here now im got weed to smoke and balls to drain. cant wait to see florida underrate and die raiding peter theils new zealand mutli-billion bunker'

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Why the hell do you all want to die fighting? Isn't that far more painful than doing it quietly on your own terms?

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Torpor posted:

pssst, hey kid over here.

topsoil is being depleted and farming requires scarce, finite mineral inputs.

What, everything else in my post about the hypothetical world run by a climate dictator was realistic?

Current farming practices does degrade topsoil faster than it can be replenished, yes, but farming doesn't have to be like that.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

AceOfFlames posted:

Why the hell do you all want to die fighting? Isn't that far more painful than doing it quietly on your own terms?

Because having your future stolen makes you angry.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

AceOfFlames posted:

Gotta die doing something

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

AceOfFlames posted:

My own terms is full on Lords of the Last Days madness like in that Arthur Clark book

E: more specifically the people who hosed us shouldn't get to die quietly in their bunkers thinking they did the best they could. I know most will but hey.

Moridin920 has issued a correction as of 23:48 on Jun 26, 2019

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

I guess my problem has always been that I tend to get sad instead of angry.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

AceOfFlames posted:

Yeah we know AoF

Frequent Handies
Nov 26, 2006

:yum:

AceOfFlames posted:

You'll make a fine peon for a soon-to-be climate warlord.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Either stop posting bad or just kill yourself already ace

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Frequent Handies posted:

You'll make a fine peon for a soon-to-be climate warlord.

He'd make a fine peon for a mildly assertive doormat today.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators
just lmao if you aren't going to die lmaoing.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
wipe your hand across your mouth and lmao

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

i’ll probably die jerkin it tbh

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

I think that we only get one chance at life and nearly any kind of being alive is preferable to being dead. Also I was born into a certain level of inescapable discomfort so my tolerance may be biased.

We are in general stronger than we think we are.

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Just don't die sober and you're good

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Zeno-25 posted:

check

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Shifty Nipples posted:

I think that we only get one chance at life and nearly any kind of being alive is preferable to being dead. Also I was born into a certain level of inescapable discomfort so my tolerance may be biased.

personally i'd be ok with never having existed in the first place given, you know, the world as has been, is, and will be

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
if people knew the story of their own lives how many would then elect to live them

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

Oxxidation posted:

if people knew the story of their own lives how many would then elect to live them

who would pass up all the delicious berries life offers?

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

That's a pretty large philosophical question to be honest

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Oxxidation posted:

If you subscribe to the right branch of metaphysics we are all avatars of the same gestalt consciousness, experiencing all of eternity before our evolution. :science:

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

Admiral Ray posted:

What, everything else in my post about the hypothetical world run by a climate dictator was realistic?

Current farming practices does degrade topsoil faster than it can be replenished, yes, but farming doesn't have to be like that.

yeah sure you can reduce topsoil erosion. BY REDUCING OUTPUT! mwahaha :rip::flip:

why is finding emotes so hard on the awful app?

Torpor has issued a correction as of 02:44 on Jun 27, 2019

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer

An insane mind posted:

Is there any reason (other than money) that people deny climate catastrophe? I mean, what I'm trying to say is...ugh...the people who do this are actively dooming future generations. Has there just been a boom in psychopatic births? Every human (that does not have a mental condition that specifically fucks with that part of development) has the capacity to feel empathy right? So how can you not think about what you're doing to the future. How can you deny evidence that is basically clear cut.

I'm sorry, I know I'm rambling and I'll leave you to your lolling but I'm just trying to wrap my head around it.

the ego - which imagines itself to be permanent - cannot and will not willingly face the reality its own dissolution. whether through certain (but not immediate) physical death, or the destruction of so many core assumptions about the self that they cannot be smoothly integrated into the ongoing narrative, information like this that is abstract/far away that cannot be reacted to and corrected in an immediate manner (like an imminent physical attack) is simply filtered out. this is true of almost everyone, online brokebrain is generally maladaptive in a broader social sense. facing reality means accepting either "i am going to die because of this" or "in light of this reality my actions prove i am not the good person i imagine myself to be" or both. unacceptable. its not even a question of morality its just how brains (dont) work

Ill Peripheral
Jun 29, 2008

Shifty Nipples posted:

Whoah whooah now that's the wrong attitude for this thread, bub!

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

Zeno-25 posted:

Pretty much this

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Oxxidation posted:

i dunno i got to play a lot of video games, have sex, smoke weed, read some cool books, visit and look some ye olde poo poo, and lol at lots of trump. that's p cool despite an abusive and super lovely upbringing that i'd rather not talk about and having been born depressed as far back as i remember.

like knowing all that ahead of time i'd probably want to roll the dice and live a different life, but yeah. not everyone can watch the death of their planet unfold in their lifetime by their own undoing, thats a once in a 500 million to billion year experience.

Shifty Nipples posted:

also what this guy said

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

If the story is bad, it's fake news :smugdon:

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Zeno-25 posted:

Wisdom

Oxxidation posted:

redleader posted:

personally i'd be ok with never having existed in the first place given, you know, the world as has been, is, and will be

I think those things sometimes but then at the same time I wouldn't be who I am if not for my experiences.

e: for instance I may have turned into a more optimistic person if I had an easier life and who wants that pfft

Ill Peripheral posted:

Whoah whooah now that's the wrong attitude for this thread, bub!

Hey I didn't say anything arguing we may not be doomed, just that we can make of that what we want.

Shifty Nipples has issued a correction as of 03:02 on Jun 27, 2019

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

Shifty Nipples posted:

we have spent hundreds of years and the output of billions of people turning a fertile planet -the only planet we know capable of sustaining any life whatsoever- into a roach motel.

edit: so I’m a way I guess your right

edit2: edited for clarification

Torpor has issued a correction as of 03:01 on Jun 27, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Torpor posted:

we have spent hundreds of years and the output of billions of people turning a fertile planet -the only planet we know capable of sustaining any life whatsoever- into a roach motel.

edit: so I’m a way I guess your right

edit2: edited for clarification

I meant strength to endure but you're not wrong.

Shifty Nipples has issued a correction as of 03:03 on Jun 27, 2019