Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Squashy Nipples posted:

Frying the beans right is the important part.
Yeah, it's been a while since I last fried green beans like this - I found the trick to get the best result was to only toss the pan once every two-ish minutes, and to make sure it's on medium high to high heat. You don't wanna agitate them before they've gotten brown and sizzly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I like to lightly toss mine in oil then throw em on a hot gas grill on high and cover it back up. When it's not winter that is.

Usually the grill runs around 550-600F and crisps them up nicely in a couple minutes.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I don’t know how it took me 25+ years to realize that “clean carrots, toss with oil, throw in skillet until blackened, add some crunchy salt” makes an amazing side dish with essentially zero effort.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Democratic Pirate posted:

I don’t know how it took me 25+ years to realize that “clean carrots, toss with oil, throw in skillet until blackened, add some crunchy salt” makes an amazing side dish with essentially zero effort.
Most of us in the western world, with white parents, experienced vegetables as children as "here's some Boiled Plants" and so we mostly have hangups where we expect you have to do a Lot to make them taste great. I'm not making assumptions on your background, it's just a very common thing to not really have this general childhood-level knowledge that vegetables are easy to make delicious.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Whalley posted:

Most of us in the western world, with white parents, experienced vegetables as children as "here's some Boiled Plants" and so we mostly have hangups where we expect you have to do a Lot to make them taste great. I'm not making assumptions on your background, it's just a very common thing to not really have this general childhood-level knowledge that vegetables are easy to make delicious.

So many boiled veg. So, so many.

On the up side, you feel like a superperson when you make something flavourful without the use of meat.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

Whalley posted:

The question was always , "Canned Green beans or Canned Carrots or Canned Corn?"

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

tarbrush posted:

So many boiled veg. So, so many.

On the up side, you feel like a superperson when you make something flavourful without the use of meat.

Basically either canned green beans/peas/corn or this

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Basically either canned green beans/peas/corn or this

I like the bag of that I saw a couple weeks ago called Japanese Vegetables. Onions, broccoli, carrots, peas. I was very confused.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Grand Fromage posted:

I like the bag of that I saw a couple weeks ago called Japanese Vegetables. Onions, broccoli, carrots, peas. I was very confused.

I hate it when they try to put onions in frozen mixes. It's disgusting. Onions aren't meant to be made that way.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Brawnfire posted:

I hate it when they try to put onions in frozen mixes. It's disgusting. Onions aren't meant to be made that way.

I've never tried. I just find it weird how every mix I've seen includes vegetables that do not at all have the same cooking times, but I guess if you're expecting to boil the thing for half an hour it doesn't matter.

And the labeling of course. "Chinese vegetable mix!" with nothing Chinese.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Been doing a lot of cooking, not a lot of posting, so here's some highlights. Sorry for the image dump!

Had an absurd surplus of peaches, so my wife suggested I make some peach chutney.

Needed something to go with peach chutney, so.. Parathas! Mint chutney also made with mint from our garden.They were great. Peach chutney, even better than mango IMO.

Smoked some rainbow trout we caught on a family trip to Colorado. Hot smoked over maple served with a lemon, dill and caper creme fraiche. So, like... It was really good, but not sure it's the best showcase for really fresh, great trout. The smoke takes over. Will probably go back to simple fry next year.

Peposo with polenta (braised red wine and short ribs with an ABSURD amount of black pepper.). Wife's new favorite.

Finally opened up a 14 month old clothbound raw milk Cheschire that I made last year. Awesome. Tastes like a combination between a super sharp cheddar and parmigiano reggiano. Have something like 5lbs of it and will be giving away to friends.

By request of the wife to celebrate her finally getting her architect's license from the state. Dark chocolate tart(85%), dark chocolate crust with a salted bourbon pecan caramel sauce. Incredibly intense. I added zero sugar to the tart, so it was almost completely devoid of sweetness, just intense chocolate. The caramel was like 2 degrees shy of burning, so lost most of its sweetness, and what little it had was cancelled out by the salt. I sweetened the whipped cream more than I usually would to help compensate. Serious loving business. Heavenly, but really only need a few bites.

The curveball! Work approached me to do some kind of food presentation for this year's "Creatives showcase". It's the first time a food entry has been included instead of just artwork, short stories, etc... I wanted to do something more creative than just "I made a good pasta!" or something. So I present to you...

Tacos al Pastor sausage!

It's 70/30 lean/fat pork, with everything you would expect from an al pastor taco and then some. Achiote, guajillos, an ancho, a chipotle, piloncillo, garlic, onion, pureed fresh pineapple, grilled pineapple chunks, cilantro, cumin, Mexican oregano all turned into a sausage, served on a bun with more grilled pineapple, cilantro and a roasted poblano tomatillo salsa. A little sweet for me, but I am not the biggest al pastor fan in the world to begin with. Could definitely have left out the piloncillo and left the sweetening to the pineapple alone. People I trust raved about it though, and it's cool as hell.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Doom Rooster posted:

Finally opened up a 14 month old clothbound raw milk Cheschire that I made last year. Awesome. Tastes like a combination between a super sharp cheddar and parmigiano reggiano. Have something like 5lbs of it and will be giving away to friends.

hello am i your friend

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Even frying can be too much for trout, en papillote is my preference.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
That cheese looks amazing, as does the rest of your food.

If you hear loud rustling noises in your kitchen later, think nothing of it, for it is only the wind.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

angerbeet posted:

That cheese looks amazing, as does the rest of your food.

If you hear loud rustling noises in your kitchen later, think nothing of it, for it is only the wind.

Thanks! I have two nocturnal cats, so rustling sounds downstairs at night don't even get noticed anymore.

Grand Fromage posted:

hello am i your friend

If you're in central Texas, sure!

Torquemada posted:

Even frying can be too much for trout, en papillote is my preference.

I meant more simple pan fry in butter with lemon and parsley, but drat, en papillote is an amazing idea. Gonna have to remember that. Thank you!

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Nice pics nice peels nice cat

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
I could sure go for a Miller High Life...
Sous vide (4hrs @ 131F) akaushi under blade steak with sauteed asparagus and roasted buffalo cauliflower:

Under blade is becoming one of my favorite cuts for sure. The flavor and texture for the price is incredible.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

Grand Fromage posted:

And the labeling of course. "Chinese vegetable mix!" with nothing Chinese.

The parent company is Chinese of course.

Random Hero posted:

Sous vide (4hrs @ 131F) akaushi under blade steak with sauteed asparagus and roasted buffalo cauliflower:

Under blade is becoming one of my favorite cuts for sure. The flavor and texture for the price is incredible.

That presentation :drat:

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
tonight: a pork loin experiment

salt & pepper, only put rosemary and thyme on one cause i wasn't sure if it would be too much with everything else going on (it wasn't)

turned my oven as low as it goes (170F), set thermometer to 145 (took about 2.5 hours). let rest while making the rest!

blackberry balsamic reduction

chopped up the almonds and mixed em in the goat cheese with some honey

i could just eat this straight. it's so good.

3-4 minutes under the broiler while i fry up some fresh sage in butter

and there we have it: a slow-cooked pork loin with a honey & almond goat cheese crust, blackberry balsamic reduction, and fried sage, with a side of roasted brussel sprouts and onions

it was loving delicious and i will definitely be making this again.

as a bonus that i didn't think about until i started cooking: after straining the reduction, i was left with a mass of macerated blackberry & balsamic goodness, so i had to run out to the store for the some vanilla ice cream

couple scoops of ice cream, some of that compote, and a pinch of kosher salt :discourse:

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Doom Rooster posted:

By request of the wife to celebrate her finally getting her architect's license from the state. Dark chocolate tart(85%), dark chocolate crust with a salted bourbon pecan caramel sauce. Incredibly intense. I added zero sugar to the tart, so it was almost completely devoid of sweetness, just intense chocolate. The caramel was like 2 degrees shy of burning, so lost most of its sweetness, and what little it had was cancelled out by the salt. I sweetened the whipped cream more than I usually would to help compensate. Serious loving business. Heavenly, but really only need a few bites.

Hi, I'm sorry we haven't met yet, I am happy to offer my friendship services!

kumba posted:

and there we have it: a slow-cooked pork loin with a honey & almond goat cheese crust, blackberry balsamic reduction, and fried sage, with a side of roasted brussel sprouts and onions

That crust especially sounds astounding, good work.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
and now, after last night's fanciness, baked buffalo wings using the baking powder method. never tried that before, turned out great

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

That Works posted:

Awesome thanks. I have a few roast green bean variations I have tried but not one with miso yet. We are about to start getting a lot of long pole beans from the garden which will work great for this as well.

Just made these and can confirm, delicious and crazy easy. Thanks for the recipe!

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Baby’s first thali! Palak paneer, masoor dal, mango and blackberries, raita, mint chutney, cumin rice and some somewhat underdone naan.

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

Sex Hobbit posted:

Baby’s first thali! Palak paneer, masoor dal, mango and blackberries, raita, mint chutney, cumin rice and some somewhat underdone naan.

Ooh nice! Properly plated as well :)

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Yay it's dinner pizza time

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Didn't know there's other people who discovered eggs as pizza topping. Goes very well with spicy things.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

Tahirovic posted:

Didn't know there's other people who discovered eggs as pizza topping. Goes very well with spicy things.

Will have to try this on the next pizza I make.

ogarza
Feb 25, 2009

Tahirovic posted:

went to spain and never found a pizza without the egg... been a supporter ever since

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
Tonight I made a really tasty sauce. Super easy too.

Olive oil, can on anchovy fillets (and oil), sliced garlic, capers, lemon zest, red pepper flakes, and some chopped parsley. Sauce took as long to make as the pasta. Just toss in the spaghetti and serve.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Tahirovic posted:

My favourite pizza place back home in Sydney has the Galaxy pizza (every ingredient they have with an egg in the centre)

Delicious

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

I was having a lovely night last night, so I threw myself into pie.

Sweet cherries with blackstrap rum, brandy, cinnamon, clove, and ginger. Scratch crust.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Liquid Communism posted:

Sweet cherries with blackstrap rum, brandy, cinnamon, clove, and ginger. Scratch crust.

drat fine.

DiomedesGodshill
Feb 21, 2009

Summer salad. Compressed marinated watermelon, greens, figs, strawberries, raw golden beats, toasted hazelnuts, feta cheese, and raspberry vinaigrette.

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008

Liquid Communism posted:

Great looking pies.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

Pork chops with penzy’s adobe seasoning and a spinach, bell pepper, onion, garlic and Serrano pepper veggie mix.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

DiomedesGodshill posted:

Compressed marinated watermelon

Explain.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

There’s some good youtube of the melon thing. You need a vacuum chamber, and sucking all the air out radically changes the texture of the melon. I assume this is what he did, although I couldn’t tell you if he marinated it before or after.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Torquemada posted:

There’s some good youtube of the melon thing. You need a vacuum chamber, and sucking all the air out radically changes the texture of the melon. I assume this is what he did, although I couldn’t tell you if he marinated it before or after.

Sign me the gently caress up. Going to try that next week for the 4th.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Nephzinho posted:

Sign me the gently caress up. Going to try that next week for the 4th.

Beware you need a chamber vac, not a standard home vacuum sealer. They don’t provide enough compression to really do it right although I’ve seen techniques that involve freezing and doing the vac repeatedly and whatnot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
We did chicken tagine last night. Good way to use some of the massive quantity of preserved lemon that's been hanging out in our fridge.

Also fried up the chicken skin and sprinkled it on top for crunch, I strongly recommend this.