Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stopgap1
Jul 27, 2013

Alchenar posted:

I'm amazed and saddened that neither expansion went on sale.

I feel that they are already pretty cheap?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
I think I snagged it on sale but I would’ve been happy at full price; this game has absorbed me for like the last month, a literal embarrassing amount of hours (a good portion of that is me walking away with it paused or sitting on my turn in a battle for 4+ hours but still).

Also do many of you find the monolith easier than chosen? I can deal with 20 chosen with some reliability assuming a good map roll but the monolith just throws so much poo poo at you, mainly those priests landing some really tediously timed stuff. I wasn’t super well built for it yet (gonna stack a lot more through armor next time) but I couldn’t get through it without losing most of my important guys.

Now 15 chosen + 3 armored frost unholds and I agree

Mazz fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jun 27, 2019

GodspeedSphere
Apr 25, 2008

Mazz posted:

Also do many of you find the monolith easier than chosen?

I find the monolith easier, but that's probably because it's a solved problem for me. That chosen Battle I was bitching about earlier? 3rd try I did the entire Battle without taking a hit and straight up demolished the chosen. I'm still unsure how to counter them. My takeaways from the fight were to always use spacebar, use nets and forward dogs to directly counter adrenaline, and just don't get hit. I haven't even moved into fighting chosen with unholds yet.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

GodspeedSphere posted:

I find the monolith easier, but that's probably because it's a solved problem for me. That chosen Battle I was bitching about earlier? 3rd try I did the entire Battle without taking a hit and straight up demolished the chosen. I'm still unsure how to counter them. My takeaways from the fight were to always use spacebar, use nets and forward dogs to directly counter adrenaline, and just don't get hit. I haven't even moved into fighting chosen with unholds yet.

Yeah Chosen do feel RNG heavy in terms of outcome, no doubt. One strategy I use a lot was moving to an area with a lot of tundra bushes or fighting in a forest where I could create terrain chokepoints and focus arrow/polearms fire into a few guys at a time. Even with rotations this drastically reduces the number of hits you potentially take per round because most of the chosen will waste a bunch of turns trying to navigate the terrain obstacles. In the snow I just try to kite big groups of frost unholds or orcs into the really poo poo barbarian camps.

I find pathfinder really essential to my playstyle now because being able to kite/relocate early can be really huge.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jun 27, 2019

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I think some of it is that a Chosen with a two-handed mace does a massive amount of through-armor damage (and the cleavers do a lot of bleeding). They don't have to get lucky very often to gently caress you. Like a melee equivalent of Man with Crossbow, really.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Wafflecopper posted:

Mordheim is on sale in the Steam sale at the moment and sounds quite similar to Battle Brothers. Turn-based tactical, you have a roster of guys that persists through missions, gets wounded etc. Recent Steam reviews are mixed but I only trust those so far. Any opinions on it in this thread?

Honestly janky and unforgiving enough that I'd say stay away.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Southpaugh posted:

sounding more like battle brothers by the minute

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Southpaugh posted:

I'm the opposite, Mordhau jank is pretty light and its still early enough that the people playing aren't the guys who are grinding 5000 hours and murdering everyone. You'll want to play it before it gets to that stage.

Bogarts
Mar 1, 2009
Janky and unforgiving in a bad way.

Edit: Mordheim not Mordhau. Mordheim is a warhammer game where you have a team of mercenaries pick up green rocks in a ruined city.

Bogarts fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jun 27, 2019

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

dogstile posted:

I'm the opposite, Mordhau jank is pretty light and its still early enough that the people playing aren't the guys who are grinding 5000 hours and murdering everyone. You'll want to play it before it gets to that stage.

Mordheim is the Warhammer team-tactical game. It is

Bogarts posted:

Janky and unforgiving in a bad way.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Oh poo poo, my bad.

I've played like 100 hours of Mordheim throughout its development and every time I came away from it I was disappointed.

GodspeedSphere
Apr 25, 2008
Banging my head against a 28 strong camp with Chosen, assorted chaff, two Beastmasters, two Unholds, and two snow unholds. 3rd battle I get a map that is basically the best defensive position you could ask for. Start on a 3 tile high hill with 2 south choke points. One is locked down permanently with an indomitable shield user with something like 60 MDef. The other choke opens into a 1v3, favoring me. A Snow unhold immediately pops up and wrecks the choke. Since I was able to snipe the beast masters, the 4 unholds went savage. I ended up losing 2 men but I beat the camp. I see the victory screen and I'm loving stoked, 3 artifacts. Then I mouse over and realize they are all from my dead men. I got trash!

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
Yep, the snow unholds are trash garbage to fight in those camps. Indom apparently works against that throw too but still they have this uncanny ability to gently caress up your battle line and basically force a bunch of guys to surprise facetank 3-4 chosen. It’s why I hate them so much. Well that, and they have 1000+ EHP before the 90 HP regen thy get for free every turn.

Most of the time now I just avoid high level barbarian camps until I see a chosen champion or until the garrison rerolls to one that has 0-1 unholds. It’s not worth fighting the bigger groups even for a mediocre named item.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jun 27, 2019

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Chosen have stats and perks usually found on enemies you fight one or two of at a time unless you're at day 200 or something. Their gear isn't that great but the universal +10% armor penetration on two-handerd weapons is a thing.
Unholds have 500 or 600 HP, regenerate 15% of that per turn and have Resolve > 100 that effectively means they won't break.
Both Chosen and Unholds have Crippling Strikes, too.
And between Unholds throwing your bros around and the 5 Fatigue Rotation Barbarians get the player's options for dealing with them are limited assuming at least even numbers.

And you're supposed to deal with all that for...some Unhold parts and Barbarian weapons you could just get from Reavers.

So, yeah, not worth.

CrowdControl
Aug 2, 2011

Uhh Tommy, I think I'm just gonna sleep at my house tonight...
It would be nice if high level barbarians encounters were either snow unholds or chosen swarm but never both.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

Wizard Styles posted:

Chosen have stats and perks usually found on enemies you fight one or two of at a time unless you're at day 200 or something. Their gear isn't that great but the universal +10% armor penetration on two-handerd weapons is a thing.
Unholds have 500 or 600 HP, regenerate 15% of that per turn and have Resolve > 100 that effectively means they won't break.
Both Chosen and Unholds have Crippling Strikes, too.
And between Unholds throwing your bros around and the 5 Fatigue Rotation Barbarians get the player's options for dealing with them are limited assuming at least even numbers.

And you're supposed to deal with all that for...some Unhold parts and Barbarian weapons you could just get from Reavers.

So, yeah, not worth.

I wonder if the devs are assuming that players can take out beastmasters to aggro unholds and are thus underestimating the difficulty of the fight? Because it's such an unrealistic strategy considering beastmasters are pretty tanky for a backliner, their taming appears unrestricted by range so they don't advance, and the players are hard-pressed in fielding archers when you need to hold off so much frontline, especially in 20+ groups.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

moot the hopple posted:

I wonder if the devs are assuming that players can take out beastmasters to aggro unholds and are thus underestimating the difficulty of the fight? Because it's such an unrealistic strategy considering beastmasters are pretty tanky for a backliner, their taming appears unrestricted by range so they don't advance, and the players are hard-pressed in fielding archers when you need to hold off so much frontline, especially in 20+ groups.

im really not sure the devs do much playtesting. I don't get what they're thinking with chosen at all.

"wouldn't it be cool if there were an enemy that had two handed lightsabers that crush all defenses?" "oh, and also they have infinite fatigue" "cool"

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jun 27, 2019

Bogarts
Mar 1, 2009
Beastmasters also have nimble and anticipation I believe. And the whip crack has absurd range so you won't be able to shoot them unless you move your line forward. Honestly just making the whip crack have the range of a normal whip attack would make those end game barb camps alot more fun.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

had my first big ancient honor guard fight and good grief those guys are assholes

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

I wonder what the thinking was behind making most enemy armor have a lovely durability:fatigue ratio. I just want to dress up my front line like a bunch of centurion cosplayers and have it not be mechanically inferior.

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

Communist Walrus posted:

I wonder what the thinking was behind making most enemy armor have a lovely durability:fatigue ratio. I just want to dress up my front line like a bunch of centurion cosplayers and have it not be mechanically inferior.

My guess would be economic balance - it allows them give enemies higher armor values without giving you t3 gear early, unless you've invested in stats/perks specifically to wear it.

The downside is late game, where you have more than enough cash to outfit everyone in decent armor and that barbarian/undead/whatever armor just looks so cool.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
There is barbarian armor at 300+ but it’s from named chosen/The King of the North. Unfortunately those are pretty rare. All champions but Orcs/goblins feel too rare to me tbh. I see like 5x as many goblin champions as anything else.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Named Barbarian armor uses the stats of regular armor items as a base at least, or stats that would fit into the Durability vs. Fatigue value progression of regular armors.

So, you know, if you play until day 1,000 you can eventually have a full company outfitted in good Barbarian gear.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Haven't had time to read all of the thread, had tons of fun with the update!

I note, though, that it is possible to nerf chosen and unholds via mods? How so?

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Wizard Styles posted:

Named Barbarian armor uses the stats of regular armor items as a base at least, or stats that would fit into the Durability vs. Fatigue value progression of regular armors.

So, you know, if you play until day 1,000 you can eventually have a full company outfitted in good Barbarian gear.

At day 700 I had a grand total of one guy with good barbarian armor so that’s probably still too generous, I had seen 7-8 named barbarian weapons by then tho

The helmet was cool at least, it was the same look as the snow unholds helmet

Mazz fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Jun 28, 2019

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Tias posted:

I note, though, that it is possible to nerf chosen and unholds via mods? How so?
Right now, I don't think there's anything released (working on it, though).

I can explain how to change stats and remove perks if people are interested.
It's easy and only requires, like, Notepad++ in addition to the mod tools found here: http://www.adammil.net/blog/v133_Battle_Brothers_mod_kit.html
Finding the files/functions to edit is usually harder than actually figuring out how to mod them.

Mazz posted:

At day 700 I had a grand total of one guy with good barbarian armor so that’s probably still too generous, I had seen 7-8 named barbarian weapons by then tho

The helmet was cool at least, it was the same look as the snow unholds helmet
Well, that just means you need to fight Barbarians 24/7 to get there by day 1,000. :colbert:

GodspeedSphere
Apr 25, 2008
I Took a 3 star mission to kill Lindwurms and Schrats. I go to the region and can't find anything until I walk into the forest. Upon entry, I get promptly ambushed by all 4 monster groups that I didn't see. 29 Webnachts and 19 Schrats. It's an ambush so I can't reload.

Edit: It's me vs. 56 monsters but I've started to knock back my way to the exit while surrounded by spiders.

GodspeedSphere fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Jun 29, 2019

stopgap1
Jul 27, 2013

GodspeedSphere posted:

I Took a 3 star mission to kill Lindwurms and Schrats. I go to the region and can't find anything until I walk into the forest. Upon entry, I get promptly ambushed by all 4 monster groups that I didn't see. 29 Webnachts and 19 Schrats. It's an ambush so I can't reload.

Edit: It's me vs. 56 monsters but I've started to knock back my way to the exit while surrounded by spiders.

Please tell me how this goes. 19 schrats and spiders counts as nightmare fuel.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Do they at least attack each other?

GodspeedSphere
Apr 25, 2008

Affi posted:

Do they at least attack each other?

They do not. There is no saving grace

The battle would have ended my day 565 company if I wasn't a dirty dirty save scummer. I tried several times to fight them off with no success. Eventually I went to all Shields / knock back and rotation with dogs to move my company tile by tile to the retreat line. While trying this I discovered that Schrats will fire through one tile of spiders, but won't advance unless they have a direct path to you. After 5 restarts I got a lucky path to the retreat line with no schrats. Webnachts eventually killed me by Poison, even while I was rotating my frontliners, even while everyone was in 300ish famed armor.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
Got a noble war battle with a enemy champion wielding a named greatsword, pretty excited

He killed 4 bros before he died

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
19 Schrats?! :psyduck: I'm pretty sure that's not a winnable battle in any kind of practically conceivable situation.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Killed the iljrok finally. Hardest part was finding him because the drat spot spawned where I had already scouted. Armor looks very cool on my biggest boy.

He did get Gebhard the bro. My way back when historian that was an amazing bro. He had team player and the event procced like four or five times. The one that gives random people in your party +resolve. He really helped pull together my team.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Is it possible to actually lose the noble war achievement? I switched factions (the greatsword was totes worth it) but then my team quickly lost two villages in prompt succession and welp

If they'd let me take a battle mission I could turn this thing around, but. . .

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
The Noble War is coming but I haven't even unlocked noble contracts yet because of the merchant origin renown penalty. Looking forward to the most boring endgame crisis ever.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
i just bought this a couple of days ago. I had 9 bros all sort of equipped, gambesons, etc and I saw a grouo of 5 goblin raiders. I figured hey, 9 on 5, that should be doable even though ive read theyre tough.

it didnt worn out. they were wolf raiders. i killed the first wolf and thought id killed the goblin, so when i moved my guy the free attack really messed me up. my line got too spread out and I was picked apart.

new company started already.

grill youre saelf
Jan 22, 2006

Molybdenum posted:

i killed the first wolf and thought id killed the goblin, so when i moved my guy the free attack really messed me up. my line got too spread out and I was picked apart.

new company started already.

you didnt notice the enemy sittiting there next to you? The goblin is sitting right there...you have to blame yourself for being an idiot

Edit: Sorry for being needlessly aggressive

grill youre saelf fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Jul 3, 2019

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Depending on what he's got equipped, it's possible that he might have missed the gobbo, especially if it was 'above' him.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

vyelkin posted:

The Noble War is coming but I haven't even unlocked noble contracts yet because of the merchant origin renown penalty. Looking forward to the most boring endgame crisis ever.

You can still go pick on a house by raiding all their supplies. Relations go back to cold after regardless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

dogstile posted:

You can still go pick on a house by raiding all their supplies. Relations go back to cold after regardless.

Yeah, that's what I ended up doing in the noble war on my current run. Started just finding groups that had knights in them, then training them onto other groups till they were small enough to tackle.

just rmemeber to leave one house friendly enough to get the general reset.