Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Steve Yun posted:

I have cheapo $1 squeeze bottles from the grocery and they've never leaked

It depends on which particular factory made your grocery store's $1 bottles. The earlier post about the inner lip is key.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pogi
Jun 11, 2014

Is the OP still accurate in regards to Rice Cookers? I work 10 hour shifts at a hospital, so something like the Zojirushi keeping my rice warm and moist for me after a long day of patient care would be -heaven-.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Yes.

pogi
Jun 11, 2014

Hell yeah. Thanks!

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

pogi posted:

Hell yeah. Thanks!

Zojirushi rice cookers are *amazing*. Love it.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Has anyone sprung for a pressure cooking capable model of zojirushi/cuckoo/similar? I've been rocking with a base model zoji and totally happy. But the pan needs replacing and that's got me thinking of just going for a wholesale upgrade. For reference I have an instantpot and my two attempts at (long grain) rice in it left me unimpressed with how poorly the grains maintained separation.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

I shouldn't be surprised such a stupid thing exists but I am

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
My parents love gadgets. My parents are also stupid morons. They bought one. It's as stupid as you think.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Looks like one of those chocolate nib mills actually. With the granite or w/e.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
How is it at making roux?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Not much, how is it at making roux with you?

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

couldcareless posted:

How is it at making roux?

poo poo probably. It doesn't scrape the whole bottom.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Those always remind me of the “autonomous cooking” startup that pitched me once. They just accepted that the bottom would burn sometimes, but since it didn’t get mixed in that was fine (?!).

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
https://www.thermoworks.com/DOT

Thermapen DOT on sale (per Alton's Twitter, unsponsored).

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Empty Sandwich posted:

https://www.thermoworks.com/DOT

Thermapen DOT on sale (per Alton's Twitter, unsponsored).

thanks, i picked up one and a triple timer

anyone have any experience with portable propane/butane burners? im almost done building my bbq table for my big green egg and i want to have a portable burner for wok cooking. i have a gas range inside but tbh doing it outside would be a million times easier. is 15k btus enough?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
If you cook in small batches

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Your wok really just wants the open flame from the egg, and you know it!

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
:hmmyes:

coolanimedad
Apr 30, 2007
sup itt
Which would you goons go with for kitchen shears, Victorinox or Wusthof?

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Are those your only choices? Because I am Team Oxo.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

Zorak of Michigan posted:

Are those your only choices? Because I am Team Oxo.

it’s insane that they’re as inexpensive as they are when shun shears are $100+ or whatever

oxo shears own even if you can only get them in ugly red

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

coolanimedad posted:

Which would you goons go with for kitchen shears, Victorinox or Wusthof?

I loving love my Wusthof shears. I use them for pretty much any non-metal cutting in the house.

Whatever kind you get, the notch is essential for bones, I find.

EDIT: Also, they seem to be indestructible. :black101:

Empty Sandwich fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jun 27, 2019

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm team 3-pack from costco that I can throw away when they stop working for me

Hauki
May 11, 2010

SHVPS4DETH posted:

it’s insane that they’re as inexpensive as they are when shun shears are $100+ or whatever

oxo shears own even if you can only get them in ugly red

the shun shears are like $40 and worth every penny

come apart easily for cleaning, sharpening, etc

I also remember liking tojiro’s shears well enough

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Joyce Chen kitchen scissors are the best kitchen scissors ever and I’ve used the same pair for almost three years now. They also have a lifetime warranty, so you send in your dull scissors and they send you a new pair.

Joyce Chen 51-0621, Unlimited Scissors, 6.25-Inch, Blue https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009XYW9S/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_2oufDb48CCX7F

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Verisimilidude posted:

Joyce Chen kitchen scissors are the best kitchen scissors ever and I’ve used the same pair for almost three years now. They also have a lifetime warranty, so you send in your dull scissors and they send you a new pair.

Joyce Chen 51-0621, Unlimited Scissors, 6.25-Inch, Blue https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009XYW9S/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_2oufDb48CCX7F

I was trying to find confirmation about that warranty (because I'd buy this in a heartbeat if that's the case) but i don't see anything on amazon - the only listed warranty there is a kinda crappy, generic 25 year "free from defects but does not cover wear and tear" one?

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

eke out posted:

I was trying to find confirmation about that warranty (because I'd buy this in a heartbeat if that's the case) but i don't see anything on amazon - the only listed warranty there is a kinda crappy, generic 25 year "free from defects but does not cover wear and tear" one?

The chefs I’ve worked with claim the warranty is valid and the information for it comes in the box, but in my time I’ve never had one go dull on me. This is with daily use cutting fish, vegetables, boxes, tape, foil, you name it.

Even without a warranty I still think they’re the best scissors on the market.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Verisimilidude posted:

The chefs I’ve worked with claim the warranty is valid and the information for it comes in the box, but in my time I’ve never had one go dull on me. This is with daily use cutting fish, vegetables, boxes, tape, foil, you name it.

Even without a warranty I still think they’re the best scissors on the market.

awesome! also you know shears are good when half the reviews are like "I bought this to cut wire with because it's better than the metalworking tools I had"

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I'm getting into fermentation, and I have dozens of mason jars

Anyone wanna recommend a good fermentation lid?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Steve Yun posted:

I'm getting into fermentation, and I have dozens of mason jars

Anyone wanna recommend a good fermentation lid?
If you're planning on fermenting in a shitload of mason jars the silicone nipple lids are probably the cheapest solution, since they work out to under two bucks a pop. The various kinds of water airlock lid seem to run around US$5 each. I vaguely prefer the water kind just because I can see it's working, whereas the silicone ones (which just have a tiny hole that usually self-closes but can be forced open by fermentation gases, so it's self-burping) can get gunk on them. But I've never had problems with any fermentation setup.

That all being said, I usually ferment pickles and kimchi in larger containers. I've got two kinds of pickles going on the counter now, one in a traditional German-style fermentation crock with the fitted weights and all that, and another in a 6L cambro with an airlock lid (which I had to make) and weighted with a ziplock full of brine. Mason jars are good for fermenting peppers and other things were you're not working with more than like a litre of veg and brine at a time, but holy poo poo I'd go crazy if I had to keep up with my cucumber plants using mason jar-sized batches.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
Ultra Carp
My wife recommends masontops, https://www.masontops.com/

The results have been great!

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Just got mine today -- gracias for posting the link.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I've had mixed results with silicone lids, air sometimes leaks in somehow and I get mold. Maybe flimsy rings or maybe I didn't get the jar lid clean enough after pouring stuff in and there was debris or maybe some of the lids are bad. On the last couple batches I dipped my finger in olive oil and ran it around the perimeter of the jar hoping to get a better seal and didn't have any problems. The silicone actually bulged a little bit which it hadn't done before. I'll be doing longer ferments again soon and plan on buying water airlocks. If a week long ferment goes bad, big deal, but when a 6 month or more ferment suddenly goes that's frustrating.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Does anyone have any recommendations on a good filleting knife? For flounder, if that matters

I don't fish, but sometimes I catch flounder while scuba diving.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

If you want to spend and have something that’ll make a decent all-purpose knife as well: https://www.korin.com/HTO-VDSU-240

I used that to break down fish every day at the Japanese resto I worked at

For something more home-oriented: Victorinox Swiss Army Cutlery Fibrox Pro Curved Boning Knife, Flexible Blade, 6-Inch https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0019WQDOU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_LgHgDbD6AVNJC

Though I’d also recommend something a little longer, 6” is pretty small and depending on the size of the fish could be trouble

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Verisimilidude posted:

For something more home-oriented: Victorinox Swiss Army Cutlery Fibrox Pro Curved Boning Knife, Flexible Blade, 6-Inch https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0019WQDOU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_LgHgDbD6AVNJC

Though I’d also recommend something a little longer, 6” is pretty small and depending on the size of the fish could be trouble

I was about to recommended this one. It's been great for me. Pretty disposable at that price point too so you just buy a new one when you need it.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Thanks, good recs.
Victorinox is slowly taking over my knife collection, I've been ridiculously happy with my fibrox chef's knife. Cheap, too!

However, I think I want a longer, straight blade. This is the technique I'd like to replicate:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKTt4BtGN3Q

EDIT
Maybe I'll get this one:
https://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-Cutlery-Straight-Fishing-Flexible/dp/B0019WUGRK/

ogarza
Feb 25, 2009
I've used a rapala knife for years (25+) whenever I go fishing

https://www.amazon.com/Rapala-Fille...JS8Y5G6J56160RD

works great, is light, looks pretty, and it is pretty cheap

they have 6" and 7" sizes as well

ogarza fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jul 1, 2019

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Wait. Y’all don’t send out your scissors for sharpening when you send your knives? My knife guy is more than happy to sharpen my scissors too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I sharpen everything myself