Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
I didn't make it through the third episode. I'm sure it was totally worth it for all the people that liked it, though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

Its a good show but also I have only watched it through like twice which is not very high for me.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I've said it before but I feel like we really just need to merge all the GBS TV threads so we can all just post in one place about how we're watching a show we don't like

Woden
May 6, 2006
I was disappointed that the final season was neo nazis instead of Walt vs a crazy German pharma company. Felt like that was what they were setting up but instead we got neo nazis. I get that a pharma company peddling drugs was a bit of a stretch, but were nazis a big deal back then?

bradzilla posted:

Season 1 was dull as gently caress besides Kim and Jimmy grifting.

Yeah I stopped after season one because it was so dull.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

better call saul season 1 is a good example of how even a dull story can be compelling if it's driven by good characters. unlike the skylar seasons of breaking bad

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

Woden posted:

I was disappointed that the final season was neo nazis instead of Walt vs a crazy German pharma company. Felt like that was what they were setting up but instead we got neo nazis. I get that a pharma company peddling drugs was a bit of a stretch, but were nazis a big deal back then?

It was probably because every major antagonist prior to them had been latino. Why they chose nazis I mean, I also would have liked to see Walter White vs. Madrigal Electromotive.

Nigmaetcetera fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jun 28, 2019

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Woden posted:

if you're continually escalating the stakes in a story about your protagonist sinking to deeper and deeper moral lows, and you need a bad guy, nazis are an easy sell

you don't have to worry about making the audience hate them, because the audience already hates them, because they're nazis. they're a half-step below zombies

Savage For The Winjun
Jun 27, 2008

i hate that jesse snitched and got away scot free

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Savage For The Winjun posted:

i hate that jesse snitched and got away scot free

Yeah, things really worked out peachy for ol' Jesse.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Someone wrote "Put Jesse in a situation where he has to decide between screwing over Walt or his own wellbeing" on Breaking Bad's plot idea whiteboard but they wrote it in permanent marker instead of erasable marker so it was just stuck there forever and they kept doing it over and over

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Is time OP stopped trying to be clever

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

It was okay

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Uncle Jack may be the nicest character in the show. He goes out of his way to help his nephew maintain his pathetic crush by letting him keep Jesse as his meth slave, and he’s nice enough not to steal all of Walt’s money when he goes out of his way to save Walt.

The nicest character in the show is a loving Neo-Nazi.

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

How is it that the Dog Police show didn't get picked up? There was a a song about dog police and it existed. When will it's genius be recognized.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1bfFNojAvI

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
It was a good show but it loses something when you can just watch it all at once versus having to wait a week for the next episode imo.

Cinematography is fantastic. Acting is fantastic. Plot lines are coherent unlike some other big shows.

I agree that the Nazis came out of nowhere just a bit and weren't that compelling beyond "lol look how eeeviiilll."

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

Also you're supposed to hate Skyler and the fact that most people can't stand her on a deep level is a testament to the show's superb writing quality. I'd be kind of disturbed if an actual human being was on her side past season 1 or felt less than sheer disgust in her actions.

Also I don't get this at all, Walt is nothing but an abusive turbo dick to Skyler.

I was into Walt the first time through but on subsequent watches it's really apparent that he's a piece of poo poo that finally has the power to exercise his shittiness.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

The walt vs skyler discussion is the absolute loving worst about breaking bad discussion

seriously just watch the godamn show if you want and don't read too much into the improbable meth whiz and his crumbling marriage

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
It's a pretty uniquely American show what with the main antagonist being the US healthcare industry so I get why non-Americans don't quite "get it" ya know.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

shut the gently caress up moridin

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Your contribution is "discussion about major characters is stupid just watch the show and stfu" in a text forum thread about the show so

No you?

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Everybody knows our healthcare is poo poo and you're saying that "hehe get this, the antihero's wife is actually cool and right" like that's a surprise.

So shut the gently caress up moridin

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

The greatest gift of Breaking Bad is you can immediately tell someone is a misogynistic piece of poo poo if they think Skyler's behavior is unreasonable, or somehow worse than Walt's :psyduck:

This thread is an excellent testament to this metric.

Nerses IV
May 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I just want to know who the gently caress tunes in to Breaking Bad to see Walt listen to his wife and make good decisions

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Nerses IV posted:

I just want to know who the gently caress tunes in to Breaking Bad to see Walt listen to his wife and make good decisions

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

like godamn just watch the meth nerd's hijinks it's pretty simple

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Saying that Better Call Saul is dull just betrays your lovely attention spans and internet-fried brains

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

BB and BCS are both okay imo. They've both got decent writing (at least by my mediocre standards) and they're both entertaining enough to watch.

Also if you don't lol at Saul's tinfoil brother I just can't even.

AHHHH FUUUUUCK THAR BE 'LECTRICITY OUT HERE *rolls self up in reynold's wrap like a burrito*

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

The Walrus posted:

It was ok but The Shield hit many of the same notes in a much better way. What Breaking Bad did much much better is the dark comedy aspect but the Shield is a better show.

I clicked on the thread to post this. The Shield did it first, and better.

Vic is a much more convincing good guy who has to do bad things to provide for his family. If Vic had been provided an easy early out like Walt was, he would have taken it, but Walt kept going deeper into the criminal world and loved every bit of it. Vic did more directly heinous stuff like shooting a cop in the face and torturing a guy to death, but it was more justified than what Walt did. Walt poisoned the kid and let jane die etc not because it protected his family/team, but solely because it let him keep playing drug kingpin.

I can relate to/empathize with everything Vic Mackey did throughout the show, but Walt is just an unhinged criminal who thinks he is way smarter than he actually is.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
Breaking bad was very fun to ride with your buddies but got old when you meet someone else who liked it and just goes nuts on you about it. I liked it as much as the next guy but it never gave me an epiphany like how these turbo meth nerds worked out.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

I'm not gonna lie I've never actually seen a single episode of The Shield. Is it streaming on prime or something these days? I'm interested in watching it.

Katamari Democracy posted:

Breaking bad was very fun to ride with your buddies but got old when you meet someone else who liked it and just goes nuts on you about it. I liked it as much as the next guy but it never gave me an epiphany like how these turbo meth nerds worked out.

I think it's good to have a dose of skepticism regarding any show that people rave about bordering evangelism. I didn't watch Breaking Bad until the show was concluded (though I'll admit a large portion of that is due to not being willing to keep up with something episode to episode).

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jun 28, 2019

Nerses IV
May 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Katamari Democracy posted:

Ah yes, the Rick and Morty dilemma

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Honky Dong Country posted:

I'm not gonna lie I've never actually seen a single episode of The Shield. Is it streaming on prime or something these days? I'm interested in watching it.

It's on hulu. There are parts that drag, and I think part of what turns people off about it is that they're cops, but once it gets going it keeps ramping and ramping up in action. And that says a lot when the very first episode (not spoilering it because I already said it) has the protagonist shooting another cop in the face in cold blood.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

yeah I eat rear end posted:

It's on hulu. There are parts that drag, and I think part of what turns people off about it is that they're cops, but once it gets going it keeps ramping and ramping up in action. And that says a lot when the very first episode (not spoilering it because I already said it) has the protagonist shooting another cop in the face in cold blood.

Cool I've still got a hulu subscription. I'll check it out, thanks.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Better Call Saul made me hate Walt even more after the episode where its revealed why Mike is in Albuquerque

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Mike is by far the coolest dude in both shows. :colbert:

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

The Shield has some really great moments and some really hosed up parts, but it also has some really schmucky parts because it was like, a basic cable show. Overall its a good watch but it isn't quite as good as the Wire and stuff.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Honky Dong Country posted:

Cool I've still got a hulu subscription. I'll check it out, thanks.

If you like it enough to watch til the end, I think you'll be rewarded - imho it has the best TV series ending, ever. The last couple seasons and especially the final episodes just punch you in the gut over and over and makes you actually think about whether it was all worth it or not. There's no convenient semi-happy ending where the hero gets everything he wanted and dies on his own terms like breaking bad.

e: also the wire is boring. I watched until almost 2/3 of the way through season 2 and it just put me to sleep

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

No yeah I'll def watch it as long as it keeps me hooked in, which honestly isn't a lofty goal. As long as it's entertaining I'm down, I just wasn't interested in it when it came out. And I don't have anything else I particularly want to watch rn. Hell I didn't watch breaking bad until it was over with and several people whose media opinions I respect said "Yeah dude it's entertaining give it a shot." Nobody I know was into the Shield though. :shrug:

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret

Nerses IV posted:

Ah yes, the Rick and Morty dilemma

Rick and Morty fans took it to the crackhead level. Not meth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Caesar Saladin posted:

The Shield has some really great moments and some really hosed up parts, but it also has some really schmucky parts because it was like, a basic cable show. Overall its a good watch but it isn't quite as good as the Wire and stuff.

:agreed:

But man they wrapped it up well