Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Sunswipe posted:

calling myself "Darth Marenghi" whenever I play a KotOR game.

:ocelot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Sunswipe posted:

calling myself "Darth Marenghi" whenever I play a KotOR game
goddamn

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Sunswipe posted:

calling myself "Darth Marenghi" whenever I play a KotOR game.

:hmmyes:

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night

the only effective weapons are greatswords, especially once you max out greatsword experience & equip the optimizer shard.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

spit on my clit posted:

Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night

the only effective weapons are greatswords, especially once you max out greatsword experience & equip the optimizer shard.

I dunno, I had a pretty good time with the katana weapons, and that umbrella that works as a sword.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Personally I've found Clubs to be very useful, especially the elemental ones. Good speed, reasonable coverage.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

I really haven't found a weapon I didn't like using in one way or another.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Flame Whip with fire buffs has carried me through most of the game so far :shobon:

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I know it's a joke weapon but I've had good luck with the Flanberge

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

I like the poison bee stinger rapier, or as I've been calling it, the Epee-Pen

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Nostradingus posted:

I like the poison bee stinger rapier, or as I've been calling it, the Epee-Pen

Get out.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
Great swords are too slow for my taste. I can kill things faster with a slightly weaker but significantly faster weapon.

And by "weapon" I mean "maxed out Riga Stormae" or however its it's spelled. Multiple hits for high damage that goes beyond the borders of the screen and follows the terrain, negating any interruption from elevation changes, is nutty.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
There's a monster that's a. surprisingly early in the game and b. surprisingly commonly drops a sword that works like that one that was considered one of the best in SotN. And I'm still using it quite a bit even though I've gotten a lot of weapons after it. Being able to move freely while attacking is just too good, especially with shard support.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Zanzibar Ham posted:

There's a monster that's a. surprisingly early in the game and b. surprisingly commonly drops a sword that works like that one that was considered one of the best in SotN. And I'm still using it quite a bit even though I've gotten a lot of weapons after it. Being able to move freely while attacking is just too good, especially with shard support.

What weapon is this? And what do I kill to get it?

And I'm guessing you're comparing it to the Crissaegrim, because I can't really think of another sword held in such high regard.

Leave has a new favorite as of 23:52 on Jun 28, 2019

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
It drops from those scissormen, in the area after you fight Zangetsu. It's also required for a sidequest.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Zanzibar Ham posted:

It drops from those scissormen, in the area after you fight Zangetsu. It's also required for a sidequest.

Oh, so I've it already, but probably never equipped it. Well, guess I'll have to figure out which weapon it is!

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

It is a sword needed for a quest so you may have given it away if you only got one.

I unlocked the bad ending before finding that sword, by the way, so that quest request was super confusing.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Zanzibar Ham posted:

I used that for a while, it's really good. I tend to use swords in general because they're great. I'm lame and I've been sticking to equipping my sword familiar and then wielding him at the same time for lots of damage. Any time I run into a boss I just pop the bunnymorph crystal and kick things to death in seconds because it does a lot of damage.

What drags Bloodstained down for me is that mobility just feels really lame? Like there's a fight against two big dragon things, right? And their attacks had them spewing fire and attacking from both sides of the screen, and it feels like it required you to be really precise about positioning and stuff. But the character just didn't move fast enough to stay caught up with any of it, let alone get out of attack range to get into the safe zones at any given time. Then there was a later boss who had a lot of tornado-like spells that would launch you across the arena and stuff, and I don't know if there was a gimmick I missed. But I just had zero ways to dodge or avoid her attacks. I just wound up tanking them all because everything she did was too fast to react to unless you knew it was already coming or had lucked out and were already behind her when she did it.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I came across a big dragon and destroyed it using only toads. I killed a lot of bosses this way. Pepemancers for life.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Yeah I've kind of stopped actually trying to play with the game and instead have just started cheating the game out of its own boss fights and poo poo. I came into a room and there was a huge boss monster. So I stood in the entry way as a bunny demon and threw daggers at it for nearly two hundred damage a pop until it fell over dead in less than five seconds.

I don't think I was supposed to do that.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Olive! posted:

have you tried #69420 though?

Update: in contrast to its Not Nice inverse, #69420 is in fact a Nice seeded world, front loaded with some heart pieces, a couple strong items, and an early appearance of the instrument that lets you fast travel. Anyway, that's not a thing dragging the game down any more so I'll leave it at that.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Captain Hygiene posted:

Update: in contrast to its Not Nice inverse, #69420 is in fact a Nice seeded world, front loaded with some heart pieces, a couple strong items, and an early appearance of the instrument that lets you fast travel. Anyway, that's not a thing dragging the game down any more so I'll leave it at that.

it better be nice "seeded"

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I'm playing Metal Gear Solid 4 for the first time ever.

I haven't finished the game yet so I don't know if there's some sort of grand irony waiting for me, but the content of the Beauty and the Beast backstories and the manner in which they're delivered is completely ridiculous/hilarious. Even by the standards of Metal Gear Solid!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

spit on my clit posted:

it better be nice "seeded"

BotW confirmed to no longer be the horniest Zelda

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Nuebot posted:

What drags Bloodstained down for me is that mobility just feels really lame?

If I could change one thing about the game, it would be to raise the base movement speed by about 20%. It even looks too slow for your running animation.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I just wanted to say that I hate the Helheim ship in God of War. That elevator section keeping the fires lit is really frustrating. It's just not fun to play.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

HaB posted:

Whole lotta' stuff about Mass Effect

There's a reason Asari faces look hosed in Andromeda, there are only two face models. One for your Asari squad-mate, one for every one else. Considering they're the most human-looking alien species I have no loving idea why they don't just use the face-gen system humans do, all you'd have to do is colour them blue, chop off the ears and give them tentacle hair.

Also, there are no Quarians. They were going to be in the DLC that was cancelled.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The diseases/curses in dark devotion make no goddamn sense.

I get 2 curses by using an item that makes you immune to curses for a room. ok.

One enemy's attack can give you a stupid amount of debilitating curses if you get hit by it. Blocking this attack with a shield gives me 2 curses as if I had gotten hit by it. ok

A sleeping monster is close to a door. I go through the door without wasting time killing the monster. I get a fear curse for "running away." ok.

I have a blessing that makes me immune to burning. Every single fiery attack in the world still hurts me. ok.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

The Ancient Forest in Monster Hunter World is sort of a showcase for the game's graphics and all the new traversal and environmental interaction systems. As such it's kind of miserable for actually fighting monsters in. There's poo poo like zones with 4 different tiers to fight on and half of the area transitions require a minute of swinging from vines and poo poo. The other zones are all fine, at least.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I know some game-budgets are small, and that it is common practice to reuse engine tools and art assets, but Sherlock Holmes: The Devil's Daughter has a really jarring dissonance in the character models.

Holmes and Watson have a new younger look complete with a change in voice-actors, but Lestrade and Mrs Hudson use the same character-models from previous games and the same voice-actors. When you put Holmes and Lestrade in the same scene you can see the obvious difference of an entire console-generation in their faces. Also it feels weird to only half-reboot the cast, it's like if the MCU Spiderman movies suddenly brought back some characters from those lovely Amazing Spiderman movies played by their original actors.

The game also has a bunch of action setpieces and block-pushing puzzles nobody wanted in a loving detective game.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Inspector Gesicht posted:

The game also has a bunch of action setpieces and block-pushing puzzles nobody wanted in a loving detective game.

For some reason the idea of block puzzles in a Sherlock Holmes game of all things tickles me to no end. I think I know why Mycroft just sits around at home and solves things remotely.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Since you guys are talking about a Sherlock Holmes game, and sorry for being off topic, but what's a cool murder/mystery/investigation style game I can check out? Seems like an under explored genre and the only ones I ever really hear discussed are Phoenix Wright and L.A. Noire.

I've always wanted to try a "gather the evidence, analyze it, interview people, conduct search warrants and solve the mystery" style of game, even if it's point and click driven or whatever.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

BiggerBoat posted:

Since you guys are talking about a Sherlock Holmes game, and sorry for being off topic, but what's a cool murder/mystery/investigation style game I can check out? Seems like an under explored genre and the only ones I ever really hear discussed are Phoenix Wright and L.A. Noire.

I've always wanted to try a "gather the evidence, analyze it, interview people, conduct search warrants and solve the mystery" style of game, even if it's point and click driven or whatever.

Theres a goon made text game where you're the detective at the end of a mystery novel summarizing the case, but you have no clues and are just bullshitting to try to figure it out without giving that away

quote:

it's like if the MCU Spiderman movies suddenly brought back some characters from those lovely Amazing Spiderman movies played by their original actors
If they brought back jk simmons as JJJ tho

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

I have no control, I just keep eating, and eating.

BiggerBoat posted:

Return of the Obra Dinn. Best detective/deduction game I have ever played. Go into it blind. If you need something to go off of watch up till they say to play it yourself.

https://youtu.be/V0qxLrFycrc

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

BiggerBoat posted:

Aviary Attorney is pretty good (and I usually hate visual novels).

Kennel has a new favorite as of 00:58 on Jun 30, 2019

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

BiggerBoat posted:

Sherlock Holmes: Crimes and Punishments. It’s really good and it doesn’t hold your hand and railroad you to the right answer like most of those games

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I've really enjoyed Return of the Obran Dinn, Aviary Attorney and Her Story recently. Going to play Heaven's Vault next, which is a deduction game based on translating a language.

This video is a few years old but it's a pretty neat breakdown of mechanics in detective games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwV_mA2cv_0

EDIT: Also Contradiction is pretty fun.

Doctor Spaceman has a new favorite as of 03:49 on Jun 30, 2019

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

watson is sexy af in Devil's Daughter

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

im pooping! posted:

watson is sexy af in Devil's Daughter

Hes got that Twilight stalker vibe for sure:

https://youtu.be/13YlEPwOfmk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Those Sherlock Holmes games are some of my go to high as poo poo, low effort games, barely any hands on gameplay, can just chill and enjoy a mystery.