Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Given the chance, who/what should I cosplay?
Kane
Commander McNeil
The Kodiak
NOD Soldier
View Results

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
That actually reminds me of a game called Ring of Red, where it actually went backwards - mechs really suck compared to tanks, but because of the "unusual" terrain in Japan they're more practical there.

The mech designs there were also pretty neat, and the gameplay was interesting, but unfortunately it was way too slow. Also IIRC the original story has you play alternate-history Nazis or maybe they're sponsoring you or something similar (the English translation changed/censored that at least).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014

Zanzibar Ham posted:

That actually reminds me of a game called Ring of Red, where it actually went backwards - mechs really suck compared to tanks, but because of the "unusual" terrain in Japan they're more practical there.

The mech designs there were also pretty neat, and the gameplay was interesting, but unfortunately it was way too slow. Also IIRC the original story has you play alternate-history Nazis or maybe they're sponsoring you or something similar (the English translation changed/censored that at least).

oh gently caress someone else that played that game? I can conferm as like the one other person that played it it was slow as gently caress and yeah your commanding officers are pretty much nazis just from how they look, still it's an impressive game and it does hammer it into your head that as cool as your mechs are they are loving deathtraps without infantry support even more so than normal tanks.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Yeah the aesthetics were very rad and are what had me giving it way more tries than it really deserved. I ended up giving up on it once I've long since lost access to a PS2 and had too many problems trying to emulate it, before I'd heard of the original story elements (though as you say it was kinda obvious just by their uniforms thinking about it). Then again I wouldn't have held such things against a game at the time, didn't feel as important as it is these days.

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014
well given how your enemies are literal soviets from Russia and one of your allies is a Italian dude that gets deeply offended when you imply his people are useless cowards. :v: (I actually love every player character in the game, from the deeply conflicted and angsty half Japanese half german protag to the scary lady with daddy issues that is the OTHER starting char and the big brutish american and the old Japanese vet from the setting's Vietnam war to even the stupid anime trope char of a boy that is mistaken for a girl that is angry because of it) also it helps that all the "AFWs" (mechs) are all actually based off of WW2 tanks, my favs being the one that is CLEARLY a T-35 used by the lovely guerrillas and the end game soviet one that is KV-2 but legs. I just wish someone does a lp of that game so I can stop spamming jobbofett's thread with it/

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I never got past maybe the 2nd/3rd mission because of the slowness :shrug:, so I didn't really get into the plot

But yeah you're right, this ain't the thread for it.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
While they are likely quite expensive, I'm intrigued as to just *how* exactly NOD managed to.. Create Cyborgs which are a threat to armored vehicles and regenerate. Whatever NOD is getting it's tech frmo seems far beyond GDI.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
I loved the Titan design but they always felt like they... underperformed a bit to me, as well as being slow as loving molasses.

Chronische
Aug 7, 2012

wedgekree posted:

While they are likely quite expensive, I'm intrigued as to just *how* exactly NOD managed to.. Create Cyborgs which are a threat to armored vehicles and regenerate. Whatever NOD is getting it's tech frmo seems far beyond GDI.

Or maybe it's not beyond GDI, and just requires some kind of horrific human rights violation to work, so it just won't be used by them. Unless you capture a NOD facility and make them that way, but obviously you're LIBERATING them from oppression at that point by throwing them into enemy fire!

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Re: Ring of Red. Apparently two of your superiors are ex-nazis who were granted clemency for sharing information on mech research, but you are working for an american-sponsored government?
An operation paperclip reference there feels so weird and bizarre.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

PurpleXVI posted:

I loved the Titan design but they always felt like they... underperformed a bit to me, as well as being slow as loving molasses.
Same here. The Titan epitomizes everything I dislike about GDI: slow, unimpressive, brutal, unfun, WAR CRIME.
Which is a shame because they get some really cool toys later one but having the most boring unit in the game be your army's workhorse just doesn't work very well.
In fact, back when I played this as a kid, I refused to use Titans on principle - I knew they could get the job done but there was zero fun in it.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
In addition to the world looking a lot more run-down and hosed up I also like how the game shows this through where the missions are taking place. In Tiberian Dawn the theater of war for GDI was a post-Soviet eastern Europe, culminating in a final battle in Sarajevo. Nod's campaign took you to Niger, Gabon, Libya, Chad, Egypt, the rest of Africa, etc. These are places that were at the time (and some still are) very unstable.

Now in Tiberian Sun we have GDI fighting Nod forces in Arizona, Mexico, and Texas. poo poo has gone downhill not just environmentally, but from a geopolitical standpoint as well.

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Jun 28, 2019

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

anilEhilated posted:

Same here. The Titan epitomizes everything I dislike about GDI: slow, unimpressive, brutal, unfun, WAR CRIME.
Which is a shame because they get some really cool toys later one but having the most boring unit in the game be your army's workhorse just doesn't work very well.
In fact, back when I played this as a kid, I refused to use Titans on principle - I knew they could get the job done but there was zero fun in it.

You can complete any mission in TB by throwing enough light infantry at it, doubly so if you're GDI. They're insanely cost effective.

E:

TS, not TB.

THE BAR fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jun 28, 2019

Plek
Jul 30, 2009

wedgekree posted:

If we're going with post-soviet campaign then it is probably based off of the cybord tech a certain red hero and his dog utilized.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

The Titan is basically the entire reason that I tried to stick with ts when I was younger. I love how they look.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Also twelve year old me says the 2nd national bank money crate thing is totally real and I didn't have Internet back then.
Maybe it's specific to some missions.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

anilEhilated posted:

Also twelve year old me says the 2nd national bank money crate thing is totally real and I didn't have Internet back then.

I vaguely remember it being a thing too but I can't remember the specifics.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

anilEhilated posted:

I think that only is in certain missions because when it happened ONE time for me, I destroyed that building EVERY time I found it in a mission.

Like destroying churches in TD :v:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Big Westwood and the hidden money crates

Bot 02
Apr 2, 2010

Dude... Did my plushie just talk?
Westwood is conditioning their players to subconsciously want to destroy both churches and banks.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
Now that we've seen the Titan, I'd like to talk about multiplayer a little more.

GDI has six units that win the game for them, and three of them are Riflemen, Grenadiers, and Titans. Infantry are used in the early game for both attack and defense: if you don't have dozens of infantry to protect you, you will almost certainly die to an infantry rush. If both sides of enough infantry, they will basically space each other out until the game enters the next phase, at which point the infantry are often sent to their deaths in the hope of some minor gain.

Titans are the undisputed workhorse of the GDI: they outrange enemy defenses (as we saw,) they can shoot over walls and other units, and they have good armor and power. Any GDI game that goes on long enough will see Titans spacing out the enemy force and launching attacks to try and create (or exploit) weaknesses. Anytime you aren't building niche units, you're building Titans, and you can afford to do this because you have six harvesters clearing the map of Tiberium. Infantry can't handle large Titan numbers because they will just walk over them on the way to a base, at which point they will quickly do enough damage to outpace what infantry can do. If the enemy is just spamming rockets, GDI Infantry can deal with them easy enough in a pinch.

Also, you can lose this mission if you explode the Nod tech center. The explosion near it would have given me a heart-attack if I was playing it...

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

PurpleXVI posted:

Every GDI unit is slow because someone in the organisation insisted that units should use legs instead of wheels like the NOD units uses.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
You don't skip leg day in GDI. :colbert:

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
Wolverines are cooler than Titans. :colbert:

E: I will admit that the cinematic at the end of the latest mission makes Titans look pretty cool, but still.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Alhazred posted:

Every GDI unit is slow because someone in the organisation insisted that units should use legs instead of wheels like the NOD units uses.

Wheels are the mark of good guys like NOD and the Rebellion. Legs are the mark of the bad guys like GDI, the Empire and Anime

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Angry_Ed posted:

In addition to the world looking a lot more run-down and hosed up I also like how the game shows this through where the missions are taking place. In Tiberian Dawn the theater of war for GDI was a post-Soviet eastern Europe, culminating in a final battle in Sarajevo. Nod's campaign took you to Niger, Gabon, Libya, Chad, Egypt, the rest of Africa, etc. These are places that were at the time (and some still are) very unstable.

Now in Tiberian Sun we have GDI fighting Nod forces in Arizona, Mexico, and Texas. poo poo has gone downhill not just environmentally, but from a geopolitical standpoint as well.

Yeah, it is kind of subtle but really does show how much has changed between TD and TS. Plus look at the buildings in civilian settlements, several of them are underground shelters, which further shows that things are degrading.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Slaan posted:

Wheels are the mark of good guys like NOD and the Rebellion. Legs are the mark of the bad guys like GDI, the Empire and Anime

FOUR WHEELS GOOD
TWO LEGS BAD

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

The Lone Badger posted:

FOUR WHEELS GOOD
TWO LEGS BAD

:hai:

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

The Lone Badger posted:

FOUR WHEELS GOOD
TWO LEGS BAD

WHEELS GOOD
LEGS BAD
TRACKS WORST

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Radio Free Kobold posted:

WHEELS GOOD
LEGS BAD
TRACKS WORST

:hmmyes:

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The wheel is good.

The biped is evil.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

Zanzibar Ham posted:

The wheel is good.

The biped is evil.
Great, now I'm picturing a flying Hand of Nod.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Groetgaffel posted:

Now imagine it getting up and walking along on its fingers like one of those disembodied zombie hands.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Groetgaffel posted:

A flying Kane head. Spinning around and spewing tiberium.

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Fish Noise posted:

A flying Kane head. Spinning around and spewing tiberium.

"Tiberium is good. The Titan is evil. Go forth, and kill! Kane has spoken!"

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Groetgaffel posted:

So basically just

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Also, stumbling across that crashed ufo was a huge wtf for me when I first played the game.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Alhazred posted:

Also, stumbling across that crashed ufo was a huge wtf for me when I first played the game.

Same, although I guess it's hinted at during the installation screen and stuff like that. Pretty sure 11 year old me didn't pay any attention to that though :v:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
GDI 05: Defend the Crash Site

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5PSPPANW38
Defend the Crash Site

After preventing NOD forces from extracting valuable information from the crashed UFO, GDI forces have set up a temporary defense and what forces are on guard are waiting for more reinforcements to completely eliminate NOD from the area... and to help decypher whatever can be learned from this new source of technology.

The crash site appears to be just south-west of Lubbock, Texas

Objective: Defend the Crash Site until reinforcements arrive

Briefing: Whatever is contained in this craft, it is apparent that Nod doesn't want GDI to have it. Protect the crashed UFO until GDI reinforcements can arrive to fortify the area.

Author's note: A rather simple mission, but interesting to see if you can break out and explore the map a little bit. It isn't necessary, but there's a continuing thread of stuff the map makers added to parts you'd never ever explore.

Name: 1st Lt. Chandra
Aliases: None
Affiliation: GDI
Voiced/Played by: Kris Iyer

Friend and second-in-command to Com. McNeil, he serves as the Kodiak's co-pilot.

Name: Commander Michael McNeil
Aliases: Mack
Voiced/Played by: Michael Biehn

Commander McNeil was personally requested for by General Solomon, and was briefed of Kane's return by the same. Initially skeptical of the return of Kane, he immediately set out to destroy NOD forces attacking Phoenix Base.

Name: Unknown
Voiced/Played by: Unknown

GDI Scientist in communication with Commander McNeil during the attack by the Brotherhood of NOD.

Name: General Solomon
Voiced/Played by: James Earl Jones

The Supreme Commander of GDI, he oversees GDIs actions from the GDI Space Station Philadelphia. Gen. Solomon was taken aback by the return of Kane, but quickly called for one of his more promising commanders, Michael McNeil. Tasks Com. McNeil with destroying the NOD forces responsible for the attack on Phoenix Base.

N/A

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

I was hoping you'd be able to break out and explore the map, as I was never able to as a kid despite playing this level over and over again many times.

Also,

:dong:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

SoggyBobcat posted:

I was hoping you'd be able to break out and explore the map, as I was never able to as a kid despite playing this level over and over again many times.

Also,

:dong:

We'll get to see some hidden stuff once I start delving into the maps with the editor.