Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

fivehead posted:

If you have not yet tried Steam Link, it received an update this week enabling HEVC decoding in the app. The streaming quality is almost flawless over ethernet. I set bandwidth to automatic and its between 40 mb/s and 50 mb/s with less than 30 ms of latency total. I tried some resident evil, hitman and hollow knight and it was excellent.

With the tvOS 13 update, I assume the app will be able to forward your input natively from your xbox controller.

Is that why it was so much smoother? I was able to play Overwatch on my ATV today and I had no problems.

I set it to "balanced" but couldn't notice a difference in input latency vs "beautiful" to be quite honest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kristneder
Jul 21, 2006

:siren:This is my first post.:siren:
I still can't get 5.1 surround to work with the Steam Link app.

I can select 5.1 after the recent update, but it still only outputs 2.0. Am I missing something obvious?

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I've had my ATV 4k for a little over a year now from the DirecTV Now promo. When I first got it I went about downloading a bunch of network streaming apps.

One of those was CNBC TV. Sometime after that, NBC deleted "CNBC TV" from the app store and put up "CNBC". So now the ghost of that original app is stuck forever in my Purchased Apps list. I know I can hide purchases on the app store through my phone, this one does not show up there. I've tried to do it through iTunes, it does not show up there. I have contacted Apple support, given them the original purchase ID, they say they can see it but can do nothing about it. So now I have this in my list forever I guess.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Bummer, I guess? I don't think I've ever looked at that menu.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Yeah can’t imagine someone would ever care about that list but here we are.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
You need an old priest and a young priest..

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Just seems strange that Apple doesn't have a solution. Every few months I remember this and go check to see if there's something I can do to remove it. Apps get removed from the store all the time, this must have happened to other people too.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

phosdex posted:

Just seems strange that Apple doesn't have a solution. Every few months I remember this and go check to see if there's something I can do to remove it. Apps get removed from the store all the time, this must have happened to other people too.

Do any of the apps show in your purchase history in iTunes, maybe hide them?

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

GoatSeeGuy posted:

Do any of the apps show in your purchase history in iTunes, maybe hide them?

Like I said, it shows in my purchase history, there are no options to hide it.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
How do I play audio to my HomePod from my AppleTV in the YouTube app? Since they have a non-standard UI, it feels like it’s not possible.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Set the audio output on the home screen and it should work fine.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

dexter6 posted:

How do I play audio to my HomePod from my AppleTV in the YouTube app? Since they have a non-standard UI, it feels like it’s not possible.

Can you set the audio output at the system level maybe?

Also isn’t there a shortcut to bring the audio output menu up? Pressing and holding the select button would do it on the previous generation.

Violator
May 15, 2003

I had a heck of time getting remote streaming (from my home to my office) and voice control (“go back 15 seconds”), and eventually found out through trial and error that it was the beta player. Turned that off and everything works fine again. FYI

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

So PS4 controllers work now. But Steam Link requires you setup a controller in the app. But the Apple TV already reads inputs from the controller as soon as you sync it. So you literally can't set it up because when it tells you to setup the B button, O on the PS4 app, it reads that as you pressing what TV OS has mapped as the menu button on the controller. So it takes you back. Great job, guys, everyone involved really knocked this one out of the park.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Vince MechMahon posted:

So PS4 controllers work now. But Steam Link requires you setup a controller in the app. But the Apple TV already reads inputs from the controller as soon as you sync it. So you literally can't set it up because when it tells you to setup the B button, O on the PS4 app, it reads that as you pressing what TV OS has mapped as the menu button on the controller. So it takes you back. Great job, guys, everyone involved really knocked this one out of the park.

Are you talking about the beta?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Violator posted:

Are you talking about the beta?

Yeah. The controller works flawlessly on TV OS itself, for navigating menus, etc. But it's literally impossible to set it up in the Steam app. The hosed up thing is that Steam Link reads that it's a dualshock, so like... why do I have to tell it which buttons are which to begin with, if it knows it's a PS4 controller?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Vince MechMahon posted:

Yeah. The controller works flawlessly on TV OS itself, for navigating menus, etc. But it's literally impossible to set it up in the Steam app. The hosed up thing is that Steam Link reads that it's a dualshock, so like... why do I have to tell it which buttons are which to begin with, if it knows it's a PS4 controller?

You are talking about the Beta right?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I can't believe this beta software has bugs!

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

This doesn't sound like a bug in the beta, it sounds like Valve not understanding how controllers would work in the beta. But the point still stands, it's a beta.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

It’s hard to imagine how you get to the point of releasing a beta with that glaring an issue though, unless the TVOS change broke it after release.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

If you're using a developer beta that generally means you're getting the OS at the same time Valve is.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Vince MechMahon posted:

You did submit a bug report, right? That is what a beta is for after all.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Anybody else have problems with the beta? Navigating the home screen seems less smooth than normal, otherwise I have encountered any bugs.

killa-pope
May 21, 2008
Home screen is a hot steamy turd on the second beta, and I’ve had to hard reset every day or two to get performance back. Otherwise, it eventually gets to a point where input lags so badly I can’t even put it to sleep.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

qirex posted:

If you're using a developer beta that generally means you're getting the OS at the same time Valve is.

Oh, I thought it was an artifact of a Steam Link beta! Never mind then!

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

qirex posted:

It’s a public beta.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Vince MechMahon posted:

It’s a public beta.
So you got it a whole month after Valve, a company that barely functions as a company that makes things, did. And, realistically, they have no need to release a properly-working app until the release version of the OS comes out.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Endless Mike posted:

And, realistically, they have no need to release a properly-working app until the release version of the OS comes out.
It's this. I'll never understand the appeal of installing beta software on an everyday machine. And then complaining when something doesn't work is even more unfathomable to me.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Public betas ARE dev betas, just a build or two behind. It's quite possible that poo poo's working on the latest dev build.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Jose Oquendo posted:

Public betas ARE dev betas, just a build or two behind. It's quite possible that poo poo's working on the latest dev build.

No but you see it should be working now!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Jose Oquendo posted:

This isn't accurate. The most current public beta is the same build as the most current dev beta. They just give the dev betas a couple builds before launching public to make sure there's no showstopping bugs and launch public beta updates on a delay for the same reason.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
I just can't understand how software that is explicitly stated to not be ready for full release not be ready for full release.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Steve would have never allowed beta software to have bugs

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Seriously, though, if you're seeing bugs, particularly recurring ones, REPORT THEM. That is the entire point of releasing public betas.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

The iOS feedback app is really great IMO, I've submitted several bug reports already. Not sure how it works with tvOS.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Endless Mike posted:

Seriously, though, if you're seeing bugs, particularly recurring ones, REPORT THEM. That is the entire point of releasing public betas.

I’ve obviously done this. But the fact that this wasn’t something someone noticed the first day they had this available to them on Valves side is still ridiculous. Add to that the fact that it reads perfectly on the actual beta firmware and it’s even dumber.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Vince MechMahon posted:

I’ve obviously done this. But the fact that this wasn’t something someone noticed the first day they had this available to them on Valves side is still ridiculous.
What makes you think they didn't notice it?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Vince MechMahon posted:

I’ve obviously done this. But the fact that this wasn’t something someone noticed the first day they had this available to them on Valves side is still ridiculous. Add to that the fact that it reads perfectly on the actual beta firmware and it’s even dumber.

If it’s the Apple beta that broke valves functionality then valve would need to submit an updated app and Apple approve it. That can take a few days. And if they need to compile it against the new sdk to make it function, Apple may not even be allowing that yet since, again, beta.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Also they have no reason to submit the fix until the new OS is live.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I just thought it was a dumb funny glitch. But even more funny is everyone here jumping to defend Valve against someone calling a dumb glitch dumb on the internet.