Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

i'd have to read the script but it doesn't even really seem like a premise so much as an opening scene

Yeah I agree that it's basically enough for an opening that's about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Granted I’m a bit of a partisan for the Nightmare movies, but at this point if we’re not counting the remake (and why would we?) I’d only rate one of the movies as straight up lousy and I’d put three of em in my all time top 50

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

I don’t hate the remake as much as a lot of people here. Which is to say I think it’s just bad as opposed to the worst thing ever

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it's pretty funny jackie earle haley thinks the original is poo poo.

Bert of the Forest
Apr 27, 2013

Shucks folks, I'm speechless. Hawf Hawf Hawf!
I think the new Child's Play should kind of set a standard for how much you need to change up for a remake to feel like a fresh take, and not just a retread of what we've seen before. I wonder how a Nightmare on Elm Street would look if radically re-approached. Obviously it's still gotta feature Freddy in some manner, but maybe you change up the origin a bit? Maybe he's a vaguely human representation of some horrific entity that feeds off dreams, something to that effect. Kind of let the rest of the changes bleed out from that. Fun to think about this kind of stuff in the wake of some of the more original re-imaginings we've got lately. I think Gremlins would be wise to do something similar whenever that inevitably gets remade.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

My opinion on the remake has nothing to do with it being a remake, I just genuinely think it sucks rear end and doesn't utilize modern technology to take advantage of the concept or really understand the appeal of the antagonist at all.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Bert of the Forest posted:

I think Gremlins would be wise to do something similar whenever that inevitably gets remade.
Gremlins can never be remade because I will drive to Hollywood and prevent that from happening if they try.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I fell asleep three loving times during the remake. Even the worst Freddy films were at least interesting.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Shrecknet posted:

Gremlins can never be remade because I will drive to Hollywood and prevent that from happening if they try.

You're loving late, dude, Chris Columbus has already written the script for the soft reboot "sequel" and it's about to go into production.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

A movie about the Gremlins going on a road trip to stop Columbus and wrecking Hollywood in the process would be startlingly on brand though

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Shrecknet posted:

A movie about the Gremlins going on a road trip to stop Columbus and wrecking Hollywood in the process would be startlingly on brand though

That does sounds like something Joe Dante would do.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Granted I’m a bit of a partisan for the Nightmare movies, but at this point if we’re not counting the remake (and why would we?) I’d only rate one of the movies as straight up lousy and I’d put three of em in my all time top 50

Which one do you think is lousy?

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
That they never made an Elm Street movie called "the dream police" is a crime

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
Watched Summer of '84. I think I liked it? The tone is all over the place and it felt like it was forcing nostalgia too much most of the time but it had good performances and a great, unexpectedly bleak ending.

Gejimayu
Mar 4, 2005
spaz

el oso posted:

Watched Summer of '84. I think I liked it? The tone is all over the place and it felt like it was forcing nostalgia too much most of the time but it had good performances and a great, unexpectedly bleak ending.

I am totally the target audience for that type of movie, and the last 20 minutes or so is what really makes it stand out imho. I probably would have forgotten about ot otherwise.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Almost Blue posted:

Which one do you think is lousy?

The Dream Child

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
The Dream Child was a strange decision coming off a loving Renny Harlin sequel.

Then again, I feel like 1989 is the year slasher movies died until Scream. People forget what a wasteland the early 90s was.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Pope Corky the IX posted:

The Dream Child was a strange decision coming off a loving Renny Harlin sequel.

Then again, I feel like 1989 is the year slasher movies died until Scream. People forget what a wasteland the early 90s was.

I guess it depends on if you count Candyman as a slasher, but even then that’s just 1 movie.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

For anyone not willing to sit through a minute or two of these, it's a new horror comedy satire of make-up tutorials by Australian comedian Claudia O'Doherty.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Cool I guess that's me sorted for tomorrow at work. I love Claudia, she is excellent in the tv show LOVE

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

I picked up The Auctioneer cause some of y’all (hundu and lt ken?) recommended it and I just want to say it’s loving me up

I had to have a librarian go pull it out of the low circulation stacks or whatever, but it turns out it sold a million copies back in the day

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I got around to watching The Perfection last night. Very weird movie. It's like someone wanted to remake The Handmaiden, but set in America, with cellos.

Gejimayu
Mar 4, 2005
spaz

Franchescanado posted:

For anyone not willing to sit through a minute or two of these, it's a new horror comedy satire of make-up tutorials by Australian comedian Claudia O'Doherty.

I was going to comment but forgot. Yeah, she's kind of amazing. Didn't know what to expect after loving her charavter in Love, but she's pretty great in everything.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

el oso posted:

The whole thing that makes this movie is the contrast between the ABC Afterschool Special cheerful childhood nostalgia tone of most of the movie and what comes at the end.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Zwabu posted:

The whole thing that makes this movie is the contrast between the ABC Afterschool Special cheerful childhood nostalgia tone of most of the movie and what comes at the end.

It didn't really work for me. I was mostly bored and then the end came and that was definitely a bit of a surprise but it didn't redeem the whole movie imo.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I dug it all the way through, but I'm the weird guy who likes both cheesy throwback afterschool special poo poo and bleak horror movies so :shrug:

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do

King Vidiot posted:

I dug it all the way through, but I'm the weird guy who likes both cheesy throwback afterschool special poo poo and bleak horror movies so :shrug:

Same. For me it was one of those "I didn't realize I wanted both of these flavors at once" experiences.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

i watched Santa Sangre last night......hmmmm....

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Kvlt! posted:

Yea it's definitely weird but good weird.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I watched Us with my partner last night. We made a snack in the middle of it and she was too spooked for me to leave the room without her. I thought it was an interesting home invasion movie, not the ending felt a little clumsy? I liked the ideas and themes they were laying down but the execution felt they weren't sure how to translate them into a conclusion. I liked that there wasn't a distracting b plot, the TSA stuff in Get Out always feels like a drag in rewatches.

Solid 8/10 anyone who's asking how they fed the rabbits or ran the tunnels is a goober, who gives a poo poo

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Tart Kitty posted:

My opinion on the remake has nothing to do with it being a remake, I just genuinely think it sucks rear end and doesn't utilize modern technology to take advantage of the concept or really understand the appeal of the antagonist at all.

This is pretty much it.

You have the ability to really go crazy with the Dream World and do anything now, and...it does less than the first movie with it.

Then it repeats scenes from the first movie (ie. wall Freddy) WORSE.

Then it acts like it's about to do something different (ie. Childs Play 2019), and then...doesn't (plot twist that Freddy may have been falsely accused and thus a different, more sympathetic vengeful spirit...then nope, he's a molester).

It could have really played around with micro-sleeping...but did nothing with it.

Outside of the villain not being scary OR fun.

And the kills are weak as hell. Part 5, as boring as it is, has the weird looking fridge scene and the goofy rear end comic book guy scene.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Kvlt! posted:

That was the first movie autorecommended to me after I rated a bunch of movies on a website. Coverbox didn't look like anything I'd watch but I ended up liking it so much I gave more Jodorowsky films a chance.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

i dunno, people act like it's a big tragedy we didn't get that one but i don't really get what makes it such a great premise. it's certainly way less inherently interesting than Dream Warriors or New Nightmare.

I'd take it over The Dream Child i suppose.

firstly: it was the original concept for Freddy's Dead, and while it's not any great shakes, it's sure as poo poo better than that movie

secondly: iirc that was a Peter Jackson script and... Peter Jackson in his heyday doing a Freddy movie would have loving owned

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Franchescanado posted:

These are all really good.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

M_Sinistrari posted:

That was the first movie autorecommended to me after I rated a bunch of movies on a website. Coverbox didn't look like anything I'd watch but I ended up liking it so much I gave more Jodorowsky films a chance.

I mean Jodorowsky's a rapist so I don't really dig him as a person but I'm not gonna lie and say Santa Sangre wasn't an absolute MASTERPIECE of a film either.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

firstly: it was the original concept for Freddy's Dead, and while it's not any great shakes, it's sure as poo poo better than that movie

secondly: iirc that was a Peter Jackson script and... Peter Jackson in his heyday doing a Freddy movie would have loving owned

I wouldn’t really call Freddy’s Dead a good movie but I’ve developed a certain affection for it.

And if Peter Jackson does a Nightmare movie in 1991, we don’t get Braindead, so yeah I still think everything worked out for the best.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

DeimosRising posted:

I picked up The Auctioneer cause some of y’all (hundu and lt ken?) recommended it and I just want to say it’s loving me up

I had to have a librarian go pull it out of the low circulation stacks or whatever, but it turns out it sold a million copies back in the day

I'm really glad to hear this book apparently isn't too hard to find!

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I wouldn’t really call Freddy’s Dead a good movie but I’ve developed a certain affection for it.
I liked Freddys Dead a lot more after hearing the We Hate Movies guys clown on it for an hour, its a pure bubblegum comedy not horror and deserves to be enjoyed that way

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
As a huge dork and fan of Cracked magazine (and Cracked Monster Party) when I was a kid, I was in the perfect frame of mind to love Freddy's Dead when I first saw it. I don't think I could watch it today without nostalgia goggles, so I doubt I could ever truly "hate" it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
The child's play reboot is the best movie of the series. Seriously just a fantastic movie that you can tell was made with love and respect for the series