Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

uber_stoat posted:

haha, that was the moment that got me.
The interrogation on the Donnager.

oh boy, here come the drugs!

No.

The drugs are for the interrogator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
And the beers are for Drummer, who has to rehydrate after reading your bad posts!!!!!

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

uber_stoat posted:

most sci fi shows would have you going all Total Recall when you get exposed to vacuum but the real deal is you can survive short term exposure just fine, and a guy who has spent years on the job in space would know that. another good example is the bit where space newbie Prax doesn't properly secure equipment so it starts banging around the cabin when they start maneuvers.

Oh yeah, but imagine if you cock up your breathing, or the helmet jams or some poo poo. It's the space equivalent of I dunno, poking food into a running garbage disposal. You shouldn't do it, but 99 times out of 100 you'll be fine. Jut don't want to be the 1.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

sebmojo posted:

I think if you don't like it after the donnager escape it might not be for you
That one really did it for me.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Yeah the way the first season and a half is paced is really odd. They might have been better off upping the pace (and maybe adding a couple episodes if possible) to cover the entire first book in that season. The climax of the first book happening halfway through a season left the second half of season 2 in a very odd place. They did manage to mostly course correct by the end though.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Shoving all of Abaddon's Gate into the back half of the 3rd season was definitely the right idea. I hope they stick to half-a-season-per-book for the rest of the series. Not only does it match the books' breakneck pace, but it means they're more likely to finish the story instead of petering out and getting canceled before season 9.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Lester Shy posted:

Shoving all of Abaddon's Gate into the back half of the 3rd season was definitely the right idea. I hope they stick to half-a-season-per-book for the rest of the series. Not only does it match the books' breakneck pace, but it means they're more likely to finish the story instead of petering out and getting canceled before season 9.

I wonder if they'll be able to do that given that they're putting more non-book stuff into this next season.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

The only thing they should be thinking about right now is releasing the gently caress out of season 4 already.

wafflethief
Jun 2, 2013

Cactus posted:

The only thing they should be thinking about right now is releasing the gently caress out of season 4 already.

Seconded.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
It'll be November. Trailer or something at ComicCon

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Rocksicles posted:

It'll be November. Trailer or something at ComicCon

Yeah. The miracle situation is dropping the season at comiccon.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
I didn't see this posted here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUdcwo5JkKE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1ty6NKnxRw

quote:

Space explorers Cas Anvar & Cara Gee ("The Expanse") are searching for a new hospitable world, aided by their computer with a Rod Serling complex (Parry Shen of "General Hospital").

This sci-fi voyage explores the real science behind exoplanets and was produced in collaboration with exoplanet scientists and NASA.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

:allears: Ok this is great

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

These are really cute, who is making them?

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
It looks like NASA and a couple of Unis

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
"The program is developed through a unique partnership between the Space Telescope Science Institute, Caltech/IPAC, the Jet Propulsion Laboratory, the Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory, and Sonoma State University."

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Man that reminds me of flying around and scanning planets in Mass Effect. Someone make an Expanse game.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

oh my god they are such loving NEEEEERRRRRRDDDDSSSS

and I love it

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

I think my fanboy crush on Cara Gee just got a little stronger... :allears:

wafflethief
Jun 2, 2013
Weird as hell her not having the belter accent.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Apparently she cant do the accent and has all her lines written phonetically

Svaha
Oct 4, 2005

Heh. Cas Anvar can't stop playing a space cowboy :allears:

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
Why would you ever want to?

Svaha
Oct 4, 2005

Indeed. He seems thrilled to be typecasted that way. Not surprising, considering the sort of nonsense Asian-heritage actors are typically subjected to.

In other news, it looks like the panel at SDCC is on saturday the 20th at 1:00 pm. I imagine the S4 trailer will drop the same day?

wafflethief
Jun 2, 2013

StashAugustine posted:

wha? :(

Svaha
Oct 4, 2005

StashAugustine posted:

It's probably more accurate to say that she has trouble pronouncing lang belta properly without a phonetic script. It's probably pretty common with the actors playing belters, as there are only 2 people in the world fluent in it.

She absolutely deserves credit for her accent though, which is among the best in the series.

Svaha fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jul 15, 2019

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
She’s said in multiple interviews that she can’t do the accent and doesn’t know the language, they just spell it all phonetically and she just reads it.
:shrug:

Svaha
Oct 4, 2005

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

She’s said in multiple interviews that she can’t do the accent and doesn’t know the language, they just spell it all phonetically and she just reads it.
:shrug:
She can do the accent, she is not fluent in the language. These are two different, yet related things.

As I said, there are 2 people who speak Lang Belta, the guy who invented it, and a bartender named Pirate. There is no shame in speaking an imaginary language from a phonetic key.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Svaha posted:

She can do the accent, she is not fluent in the language. These are two different, yet related things.

As I said, there are 2 people who speak Lang Belta, the guy who invented it, and a bartender named Pirate. There is no shame in speaking an imaginary language from a phonetic key.

Yeah, I kind of think of it like college opera singers who can sing perfectly accented Italian arias without understanding a word of what they are saying.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Svaha posted:

What bar does he work at and what are his hours?

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

chitoryu12 posted:

What bar does he work at and what are his hours?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcgaIqEioH4

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Her accent sounds real while Ashford is a cartoon

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Svaha posted:

I'm in the discord with Oaktown Pirate, he's to go to guy when learning it.

Svaha
Oct 4, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

Her accent sounds real while Ashford is a cartoon

I get the feeling that the actors both had a lot of freedom to develop their regional Belter accents. David Strathairn has some Irish ancestry, so I guess he went with the irish flavor to personalize the role.

It maybe doesn't come off as genuine because he's the only belter in the entire show with that particular dialect, but then, the same could be said of Jared Harris when he first appeared.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Svaha posted:

I get the feeling that the actors both had a lot of freedom to develop their regional Belter accents. David Strathairn has some Irish ancestry, so I guess he went with the irish flavor to personalize the role.

It maybe doesn't come off as genuine because he's the only belter in the entire show with that particular dialect, but then, the same could be said of Jared Harris when he first appeared.

The accent is supposed to be varied anyway, each rock has it's own flavor.

https://twitter.com/Nfarmerlinguist/status/835154615674888193

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Jul 15, 2019

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Svaha posted:

Lang Belta is in a weird place, where what we see on screen is much more of a dialect than an actual conlang. Full conlangs you'll definitely give the actors the phonetics (although Iain Glen famously was fluent enough in Dothraki to improvise lines when the conglang guy was away).

But to act in English with an imaginary accent, I can barely imagine being able to do that even with phonetics.

Ashfords accent owned though, and he didn't do as much slurring as Drummer does (or even normal Cara Gee). Anderson Dawes is the one I'm most impressed with - both with how well its integrated into his acting, and how it sounds like an actual patchwork dialect.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

When I met Cara earlier this year I asked her about her belter accent. She said it was based off of Jared Harris' in season one and each scene usually requires a bunch of takes for her to get the accent how she likes it.

If anyone here is in Toronto she's performing on stage at the Soulpepper Theater July 13 to August 11 in a show called "Fool for Love".

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Also wouldn't the rock hoppers be the normal looking ones? If you're on a ship you're going to be under 1g most of the time, it's the station-dwellers that would be tall and skinny.

That always struck me as an easy way to deal with the height issues. The "growth hormones are commonly available but kinda poo poo" felt kinda clumsy.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
The Belter accent for me sounds very similar to Multicultural London English, especially when it's coming from Dawes (makes sense, seeing as Jared Harris is from London)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Also wouldn't the rock hoppers be the normal looking ones? If you're on a ship you're going to be under 1g most of the time, it's the station-dwellers that would be tall and skinny.

That always struck me as an easy way to deal with the height issues. The "growth hormones are commonly available but kinda poo poo" felt kinda clumsy.

I think most ships go at like 1/3G for benefit of non-earthers