Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Oz is the most bizarre show I have ever watched all of

I watched it at like 3 in the morning and later only when I was high and man what a fuckin experience, like I would just watch it before bed while barely awake and it's already such a weird dreamlike show

breaking bad was good though sorry op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Becoming a parent changes you. :shrug: :smith:

Anything bad happening to kids in media makes dad sirens go off in my brain now even though my rational brain knows it is just make believe I can barely deal.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

i thought breaking bad was good entertainment

sopranos was mostly boring crap, the writers wanted to focus on the characters' personal lives because that's how you write prestige television but what the audience wanted was more mob antics; you can still have well-written characters and dramas while keeping your series exciting but the writers didn't understand that

talking to people about mr robot you'd think it was amazing but it was just pretentious bullshit

e: and dexter was just bad lol

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jun 30, 2019

WonderfulWino
Sep 26, 2004

The grape wont cut me loose.

Vastarien posted:

Fact: The Shield was better than The Sopranos, The Wire, and Breaking Bad. And motherfuckers act like it didn't have the best finale of any show in the history of television. Better than the complete wet fart endings of those three shows, at least.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

During the sex scenes vic mackey stays completely clothed and slides his dick out of his fly and fucks, he don't even untuck his shirt all the way

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Ramc posted:

Anything bad happening to kids in media makes dad sirens go off in my brain now even though my rational brain knows it is just make believe I can barely deal.

loving exactly this. I have practically zero tolerance for terrible poo poo happening to kids in shows, and while I agree that, yeah, this specific instance is make believe, you unfortunately know that whatever you're seeing has, somewhere, somewhen, actually happened.

"Family meeting" :smith: :negative:

And holy poo poo, gently caress Walt for a lot of poo poo, but also how he actually doesn't give a gently caress about his kids, plus that time he kidnaps Holly :argh:

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Caesar Saladin posted:

During the sex scenes vic mackey stays completely clothed and slides his dick out of his fly and fucks, he don't even untuck his shirt all the way

A courtesy to his co-stars and the viewers.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jun 30, 2019

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
New Mexico is famous for its Hatch chili peppers which are sorely under represented after the first half of the first season. It's almost like the writers stopped caring at that point. That error was one I couldn't let go of and it followed me through the seasons, like a blight or cyst. That's why breaking bad never had the, shall we say, gravitas of Gravity Falls.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
It’s a fake penis I reckon

E:not like a prop I posit vic Mackey is a eunuch and this is actually canon

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Now that game of thrones is over the new best show on tv is that one scene from season one of American gods where they lovingly and tenderly show some pretty explicit gay sex with an ifrit

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

It’s a fake penis I reckon

E:not like a prop I posit vic Mackey is a eunuch and this is actually canon

mackey completely nude and his crotch is as smooth as his muscular pitted scalp, this makes sense

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

yeah I eat rear end posted:

And I will never get why people call The Wire the best show ever. It's the safe internet answer, but beyond that I just don't get it. I gave it a chance, I really did, but it bored the gently caress out of me. When I said I could barely finish the first season, they said give the second season a shot that's when it starts to really get good. So I did, but it remained boring. I adamantly refuse to watch an entire show when people say you have to see the whole thing to appreciate it. Suffering through hours of boredom just to get to the good part is pointless when I could just watch a show that doesn't require a multi-season ramp period.

Just sick to Transformers, it's not "boring".

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

my biggest complaint about The Wire is that there are dogs barking in the background all the time, and for some reason unlike most TV sound effect dogs my dogs always recognize this immediately as an actual dog possibly in the room somewhere who they need to tell to gently caress off

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

also if you wanna talk about boring TV how about loving mad men. what a snoozefest

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Oh mad men is loving bullshit

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

What are the good Sopranos seasons? I watched season 1 back when Netflix was DVDs and never got around to the rest of it.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Tokelau All Star posted:

What are the good Sopranos seasons? I watched season 1 back when Netflix was DVDs and never got around to the rest of it.

That's the good season. At least in my terrible opinion.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

The best episode of the sopranos was actually that Harvey Birdman: Attorney at Law episode where Fred Flintstone is being prosecuted as a mob boss and they remake the sopranos opening for Bedrock

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

QuarkJets posted:

The best episode of the sopranos was actually that Harvey Birdman: Attorney at Law episode where Fred Flintstone is being prosecuted as a mob boss and they remake the sopranos opening for Bedrock

This is actually the correct answer.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

QuarkJets posted:

e: and dexter was just bad lol
I remember I liked the first season of Dexter
but I watched it before I watched The Wire, and every big tv show I've watched since I watched The Wire has been disappointing, including the fourth season of Dexter, which everybody said was good, so idk, maybe if I rewatched it I might hate it
maybe I just hate every show that's not The Wire now, except, Venture Bros. and It's Always Sunny. and the first season of True Detective. and Documentary Now

I thought Fargo the show was pretty stupid, too. like the raining fish thing? nah, bro. and billy bob thornton just kills the entire mob... like, what loving, Fargo the movie, did you watch, Fargo the show? because I remember a plot that had, the believable actions and foibles of regular human folks, and not these, loving, ridiculously convenient, bullshit coincidence-miracles that can only have come from buddha and jesus christ, you gently caress. I heard season 2 was better though maybe I'll check that out

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

If you like venture bros and always sunny then you may like community, they are all very good and appeal to a common set of sensibilities

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Fargo has a scene where they show a character is in a bathroom stall, and they show he get angry by him causing the toilet paper roll to squeak, like he's agitatedly pulling toilet paper too quickly so he can get out faster to yell. It's great A+ awesome show. Still gotta watch season 3 though.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Cubone posted:

I remember I liked the first season of Dexter
but I watched it before I watched The Wire, and every big tv show I've watched since I watched The Wire has been disappointing, including the fourth season of Dexter, which everybody said was good, so idk, maybe if I rewatched it I might hate it
maybe I just hate every show that's not The Wire now, except, Venture Bros. and It's Always Sunny. and the first season of True Detective. and Documentary Now

I thought Fargo the show was pretty stupid, too. like the raining fish thing? nah, bro. and billy bob thornton just kills the entire mob... like, what loving, Fargo the movie, did you watch, Fargo the show? because I remember a plot that had, the believable actions and foibles of regular human folks, and not these, loving, ridiculously convenient, bullshit coincidence-miracles that can only have come from buddha and jesus christ, you gently caress. I heard season 2 was better though maybe I'll check that out

lmao

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I believe people when they say The Wire is good but I just can't bring myself to watch or care about a cop show

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam
Fun fact. I teach Chemistry. My name is actually Walter. And before they moved to Albuquerque, they were going to base the show in the city where I teach. They actually scouted my school for shooting locations.

I met Bryan Cranston after a play in Los Angeles, and had a great discussion with him. Nice guy.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

I believe people when they say The Wire is good but I just can't bring myself to watch or care about a cop show

Good news it makes the cops look like poo poo and corrupt and constantly draws parallels between them and organized crime.

It's not just a cop show, it's a gang show, a mob show, a cop show, and a politics show all in one.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Genesplicer posted:

Fun fact. I teach Chemistry. My name is actually Walter. And before they moved to Albuquerque, they were going to base the show in the city where I teach. They actually scouted my school for shooting locations.

I met Bryan Cranston after a play in Los Angeles, and had a great discussion with him. Nice guy.
This owns

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Good news it makes the cops look like poo poo and corrupt and constantly draws parallels between them and organized crime.

It's not just a cop show, it's a gang show, a mob show, a cop show, and a politics show all in one.
Yeah, the Wire isn't perfect but you can't accuse it of only telling one perspective's story.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Its not about cops its about drug dealing and violence and corruption

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Fargo has a scene where they show a character is in a bathroom stall, and they show he get angry by him causing the toilet paper roll to squeak, like he's agitatedly pulling toilet paper too quickly so he can get out faster to yell. It's great A+ awesome show. Still gotta watch season 3 though.

Season 3 has the best villain imo

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
You want a good show, watch Dr. House.

I don't get how lame you have to be to watch all the pig shows.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

poverty goat posted:

my biggest complaint about The Wire is that there are dogs barking in the background all the time, and for some reason unlike most TV sound effect dogs my dogs always recognize this immediately as an actual dog possibly in the room somewhere who they need to tell to gently caress off
The Wire's use of local slang is incredibly authentic.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Colonel Cancer posted:

You want a good show, watch Dr. House.

I don't get how lame you have to be to watch all the pig shows.

Outside of the overarching storylines, House was exactly the same, every episode. For what, 9 years? Ugh.

And the patient survival rate was something like 80%. Sometimes, at the 11th hour, the person just straight up died. Usually there was a last minute cure.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
It was fun to watch and it wasn't glorifying cops.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Watching network television medical shows (based on the same format as crime procedurals) for medical accuracy feels like doing it wrong.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Colonel Cancer posted:

It was fun to watch and it wasn't glorifying cops.

The Shield and The Wire aren't Blue Bloods or something like that.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

I once tried to watch The Wire because everyone said its themes were fascinating - and aligned with what I have studied - but it turns out that its base level of entertainment barely ever rises above stupefyingly boring.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

King Hong Kong posted:

I once tried to watch The Wire because everyone said its themes were fascinating - and aligned with what I have studied - but it turns out that its base level of entertainment barely ever rises above stupefyingly boring.

How many episodes did you try?

It's got a slightly different vibe from a lot of the stuff you may be familiar with: first time I watched it, I was 'meh' for the first 2.5 epidodes and then it suddenly fell into place.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
They shoiuld do a Seinfeld spinoff about the comedy career and tribulations of Kenny Banya

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

'Glorifying cops', as though it's bad to show them doing what they're actually supposed to do. Have you ever tried fixing your poo poo police rather than damning them?

Not that the shows even go that far, because they're full of corruption and yadda yadda