Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010
Arent there some super small ATX cases anyway? Like the Define C

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Threadkiller Dog posted:

Raijintek Thetis and probably others.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I've outed myself as a 2500k owner from 2011 again...

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Threadkiller Dog posted:

Short aside, but I like the Meshify C variant much better.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Threadkiller Dog posted:

Define C is still a mid-tower despite the grandiose branding as a "small case" with "no wasted space". It's like 40 liters or something, that's a ludicrous claim. A S340 is roughly similar in size.

The only actual SFF ATX case I know of is the Cerberus X, around 17L iirc. There are very few ATX cases that actually make an attempt to eliminate wasted space as well as some of the SFF mITX or mATX cases out there.

As always, an actual SFF build is painful as gently caress, have fun window-shopping parts for a month to be sure they'll fit exactly and then spending four times as long routing cables and tubes.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Jun 30, 2019

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Paul MaudDib posted:

The only actual SFF ATX case I know of is the Cerberus X, around 17L iirc. There are very few ATX cases that actually make an attempt to eliminate wasted space as well as some of the SFF mITX or mATX cases out there.

Cerberus X is 19.4l. Thetis is ~25l or so i think, so significantly bigger than the X but still pretty small for ATX.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Pro Tip: Don't buy a 180mm PSU if you ever want to run a nice small case again.

When my RM750 finally dies, I'm going smaller. Almost all the nice small ATX /uATX cases want something under 170, or you end up with cables doing 180 degree turns straight out of the back of the PSU.

Looking at rehousing things into a Corsair Graphite 275R because apparently it'll take up to a 300mm monster.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

With the advances in modern air cooling, is it possible to build say a 3900X/2080 system in a SFF case without loving around with liquid?

eames
May 9, 2009

possible yes but it's a bad idea unless you undervolt and/or only run light-medium workloads.
we don't know the numbers yet but I estimate that a 3900X is going to pull >200W under heavy workloads, that's not something you want to aircool in a SFF case.
all the advances in air cooling come from lots of heatpipes and very large surface areas, both are hard to fit into SFF cases unless you have a very well thought out or custom cooling solution.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I don’t exactly specialize in “well thought out”, so I guess I’ll think about liquid. Thanks!

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Subjunctive posted:

With the advances in modern air cooling, is it possible to build say a 3900X/2080 system in a SFF case without loving around with liquid?

this highly depends on how the thermal density on 7nm, the thermal limits on 7nm, and the chiplet layout is going to play out.

In general I'm comfortable with saying that 12C boost TDP will probably be at least 175W if not 200-225W. That's a pretty tough thing to dissipate on air in SFF even without any thermal density problems.

Worst case look up how people are doing SFF 9900K builds and crib notes, it's probably not going to be worse than that. Worst case a delid should probably get you most of the way there. If the thermals are egregious then SiliconLottery will do the needful. They do it for 9000 series processors.

mini liquid is always an option though! like Cerberus X and use a 2x120 or something like that (no idea if that actually fits or not)

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jun 30, 2019

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Lambert posted:

I hear this a lot, but has anyone actually built systems in both and compared? I have the define mini c and the noise deadening is just such a killer feature for me, I can’t imagine giving it up

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Lambert posted:

I put a shelf on my wall for my Meshify C because good gravy that is my favorite case ever. I think I would only upgrade for the same thing with USB C front panel connectors. It's so drat quiet even under full tilt that I can't wait to upgrade to Threadripper:

If space is a hardship, see if you've got space on the wall! Make sure to use a stud finder and drywall screws.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!
If anyone is actually interested in putting together a SFF build r/sffpc on reddit and smallformfactor.net are both have resources for builds. The difficulty of the build is really going to depend on how small of a case you want to build in. I went with the ncase m1 which is ~12.6L in size and it took me probably 20 minutes longer to build in than my Define S case. Some if the sub 10L sandwich cases do seem like a bigger pain in the rear end to build in though.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

eames posted:

we don't know the numbers yet but I estimate that a 3900X is going to pull >200W under heavy workloads
At stock settings??

Overclocked sure yeah it would easily pull 200W+ under full load.

But at stock settings I'd be surprised if it went THAT drastically over its 105W TDP for sustained periods of time. I'd expect the actual CPU power usage to be fairly similar to the 2700X at stock settings.

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

NewFatMike posted:

I put a shelf on my wall for my Meshify C because good gravy that is my favorite case ever. I think I would only upgrade for the same thing with USB C front panel connectors. It's so drat quiet even under full tilt that I can't wait to upgrade to Threadripper:

If space is a hardship, see if you've got space on the wall! Make sure to use a stud finder and drywall screws.

This makes me excited. I just received my Meshify C and a bunch of Noctua 140mm fans + a D15. Gonna put a 3900x in there and have myself a good time.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
I'm curious how many of you planning to buy a 3900X have ever bought a $500 processor before. AMD seems to have a huge hype wave going in their favor right now.

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

K8.0 posted:

I'm curious how many of you planning to buy a 3900X have ever bought a $500 processor before. AMD seems to have a huge hype wave going in their favor right now.

I would have previously if I could've afforded it. I bought an i7 4770k, which was the most I could afford at the time, because I was doing processor-heavy 3d renderings. My workload has mostly switched to GPU rendering now, but I still get the odd job where I need to use a CPU-bound renderer, so this is going to speed that work up like crazy. Plus, Blender now has a CPU + GPU rendering mode, so that's going to kick some serious rear end.

To answer your question, though, no. I've never been able to really afford one until now, but I am very much hyped to upgrade after a solid 6 years. Plus, it looks like the 3900x is going to not only be a beast, but a good value as well.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

K8.0 posted:

I have never bought a CPU above like $350 and I plan on getting a 3900X or 3950X, I probably would have got an Intel octacore earlier but by the time the 9900k came Zen 2 was on the horizon.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

K8.0 posted:

Last CPU I bought was a 4/4 3570k. The perceived wisdom of the time was to avoid overspending now because you're just going to replace it in 3 years with something far better. That didn't pan out, and it's pretty legit to spend more these days knowing that you're likely going to get 5+ years out of a decent CPU. A 12 core option is attractive because it should keep you ahead of the next gen consoles for their lifetime, so barring some exceptional IPC bumps in the meantime, it's a good investment.

This is all assuming the 12/16 core AMD chips don't end up being shittier for games than the 8 cores (like Threadripper was) though. If they actually are worse, the 3900X becomes distinctly unappealing.

Azuren
Jul 15, 2001

E: ^^ Exactly what I'm thinking.

K8.0 posted:

I am planning to (barring benchmarks showing it has bad inter-chiplet latency that hurts gaming, in which case I'd get a 3800x instead) and no, I haven't. Currently on a 4c/4t i5-6500. I haven't had an AMD CPU since the Athlon days but I'm hyped up to ditch Intel and Nvidia. Mentally preparing myself to drop ~$2500 on a rig (including new monitor), just like the good old days of the late 90s/early 2000s :v: I think I built this one for $800-900, re-using old monitor, and that's why I'm looking to upgrade only a few years down the road.

E2: \/\/

I am not, because I don't think I'd see any noticeable performance increase, and they're gonna be $$$. I'm already upgrading from a SATA SSD + SATA HDD to a single m.2 NVMe PCIe SSD setup.

Azuren fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jun 30, 2019

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Is anyone getting one of those new PCI-E 4.0 SSDs with their build?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I’m considering but please nobody buy those things until reviews come out. They are in stock on a few sites now.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Seamonster posted:

No doubt.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
I'm interested in one but I gotta see the benches first.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

NewFatMike posted:

I really need to up my game in the keyboard department, the basic-rear end Logitech I have simply doesn't cut it anymore.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Keyboard thread is thataway (kinesis imo)

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Seamonster posted:

Probably not. They're only going to be good for certain benchmarks.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Natron posted:

I would have previously if I could've afforded it. I bought an i7 4770k, which was the most I could afford at the time, because I was doing processor-heavy 3d renderings. My workload has mostly switched to GPU rendering now, but I still get the odd job where I need to use a CPU-bound renderer, so this is going to speed that work up like crazy. Plus, Blender now has a CPU + GPU rendering mode, so that's going to kick some serious rear end.

To answer your question, though, no. I've never been able to really afford one until now, but I am very much hyped to upgrade after a solid 6 years. Plus, it looks like the 3900x is going to not only be a beast, but a good value as well.

Oh man I did not know Blender added a mixed CPU/GPU rendering option. I wonder if you can throw multiple GPUs at it in addition to a CPU.

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014
You get a list of opencl devices with checkboxes and I think you can just select whatever the heck you want.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

:chanpop:

Picking up an extra GPU for virtualization along with a Threadripper CPU just keeps making better and better sense

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Subjunctive posted:

I don't see why *not*. The best high-performance SFF cases these days all tend to gravitate around the use of a dual-chamber design, with the motherboard on one side, back-to-back with the GPU in the other, and a riser cable to facilitate the connection between the two, like a Dancase or Ncase. As a result, they're sucking in cold air directly from the outside, from opposite sides of the case.

It's not like a 2080 was being bottlenecked a 16X PCIe 3.0 link anyways, so you're not going to get the full use of PCIe 4.0 there, so the lack of a PCIe 4.0 riser cable shouldn't be much of an issue.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
For ITX case you could go with the new Silverstone LD03

A case so confusing they had to release a video tutorial on how to open it.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

So given that I am in the process of upgrading my """"gaming"""" (so many airquotes because of how lovely my current rig is) pc from an AMD Phenom 2 quad-core with 6 GB of DDR2 ram, would the microcenter bundle of a Ryzen 5 2600 and Gigabyte B450 Aourus M motherboard be worth getting, or hold off and wait for the new Ryzen chips to release and get a previous-gen on sale?

Mofabio
May 15, 2003
(y - mx)*(1/(inf))*(PV/RT)*(2.718)*(V/I)

taiyoko posted:

So given that I am in the process of upgrading my """"gaming"""" (so many airquotes because of how lovely my current rig is) pc from an AMD Phenom 2 quad-core with 6 GB of DDR2 ram, would the microcenter bundle of a Ryzen 5 2600 and Gigabyte B450 Aourus M motherboard be worth getting, or hold off and wait for the new Ryzen chips to release and get a previous-gen on sale?

The new Zen2 looks like the Sandy Bridge to Zen's Core 2 Duo.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

taiyoko posted:

It's fairly unlikely that Gen 1/2 prices are going to go down much when Gen 3 launches, since they're already decently below the MSRP of the new chips. If your budget is pretty fixed right now and you're gaming on a 60Hz monitor, I might consider saving $60 and going with the Ryzen 1600 instead of the 2600, with the idea of upgrading to a 3600 or 3700X when it starts giving you problems in games. The 3600 is looking like a much bigger jump over the 2600 than the 2600 was over the 1600, and neither are going to noticeably different at 60Hz for a while.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Stickman posted:

It's fairly unlikely that Gen 1/2 prices are going to go down much when Gen 3 launches, since they're already decently below the MSRP of the new chips. If your budget is pretty fixed right now and you're gaming on a 60Hz monitor, I might consider saving $60 and going with the Ryzen 1600 instead of the 2600, with the idea of upgrading to a 3600 or 3700X when it starts giving you problems in games. The 3600 is looking like a much bigger jump over the 2600 than the 2600 was over the 1600, and neither are going to noticeably different at 60Hz for a while.

As far as video goes, I have a hand-me-down R9 290x gpu, but yeah, I'm pretty sure my monitor doesn't do over 60Hz, and it's only a 1600x900 resolution at that, and the only reason I was going with that specific combo was that microcenter has a bundle of that mobo/processor for $200.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

taiyoko posted:

As far as video goes, I have a hand-me-down R9 290x gpu, but yeah, I'm pretty sure my monitor doesn't do over 60Hz, and it's only a 1600x900 resolution at that, and the only reason I was going with that specific combo was that microcenter has a bundle of that mobo/processor for $200.

taiyoko posted:

You should be okay with a 1600 with that setup for a while yet. Microcenter’s 1600 + Aorus M bundle is $135. The 290X is a fine GPU for 1080p, too - you could put some of the savings towards a decent 1080p/60 monitor.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
God I wish I could get a 1600 and mb combo for that much here in Aus. I'd be all over that so fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Puddin posted:

God I wish I could get a 1600 and mb combo for that much here in Aus. I'd be all over that so fast.

Yeah, a deal like that in the UK would be nice too. 1600s are only £25 cheaper than 2600s here.