Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
bmw made a 135i hatch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
2019 Hyundai Veloster N w/ Performance Package, 329 Miles, Like New! - $26990 (Loveland)
https://cincinnati.craigslist.org/cto/d/loveland-2019-hyundai-veloster-w/6918867284.html

Dat depreciation hit, but seems like a good price for someone to scoop up

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")
Sent it to my mom, here's hoping she wants it. That's a steal, in the best color besides baby blue.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

brand engager posted:

hosed up that ford made that cool AWD hatch but nobody makes a RWD hatch

There was a RWD hatch with a supercharged engine, available 6 speed and pano glass roof sold in the states recently.

You don't want it, I had one.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

I actually caught the brain disease that makes you want an 86 after I realized that it's probably the cheapest RWD car

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

brand engager posted:

I actually caught the brain disease that makes you want an 86 after I realized that it's probably the cheapest RWD car

:same: but I really don't think my kid will fit in back

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Not a hatch but Miatas are cheaper.

No space for kids though.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

no space for anything

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

angryrobots posted:

Thread title is on point.

I was under the impression that both the FiST/FoST are pretty reliable unless you crank up the boost, which isn't surprising. Is that not right? I'm probably in the market for a ~$10k used hot hatch soon and one of those are at the top of my list.

Yeah I haven't heard of the FoST/FiST having any glaring drivetrain issues- Ford spent a long time developing the EcoBoost engine as a turbo platform and they've stuck it in just about everything they possibly can so if anything the reliability/longevity should be better on average than other blown motors

but yeah especially under more than stock boost you'll occasionally get a LSPI ringland blowout or something else but I'm inclined to chalk all the talk about it up to like hyper-awareness due to it being an enthusiast car that people talk about on forums more than like a Chevy Sonic or something

Both are definitely worth a look due to being a great deal used and actually having a bit of personality to them which is just getting rarer and rarer

Monkey Fracas fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jun 26, 2019

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
The 1.6 ecoboost seems to almost never have any LSPI related issues. I may be biased but based on a lot of anecdotal evidence, the FiST is the most mechanically reliable ST platform and definitely takes more boost reliably. There are plenty of 250-300whp FiSTs running around out there with lots of miles on them. Forum wisdom says that 400whp is where pistons start to occasionally fail.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

brand engager posted:

no space for anything

Certainly no space for the driver's legs.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

PT6A posted:

Certainly no space for the driver's legs.

I forgot that AI was full of ogres.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Some tall people post here too.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Rhyno posted:

Zug Zug?

mrtrunks84
Oct 5, 2004

The train in my head just missed it's stop
You guys got me looking at FISTs and it's kinds sobering that I could have gotten a whole, nicely used, fun car for the money I just put into rebuilding my motor. Ugh, the car drug makes me make stupid decisions. Smiles per mile is up though!

mrtrunks84 fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jun 27, 2019

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

So I managed 44 mpg in my 18 GTI on the highway, cruising at 70mph. Verified at fill up. I don't normally cruise that slow, but was on a work trip to the states and didn't want to get pulled over with Ontario plates.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Google Now randomly decided to show me an article from India, and, uh

quote:

Fourth-gen Honda Jazz [or the Fit] will get a Type R variant for the first time; will get a mild hybrid variant as well.

That R variant will apparently have 220 horsepower. No indication if it will ever come to the US.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
that would be fun i cant like the nose on it though

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

sneakyfrog posted:

that would be fun i cant like the nose on it though

I can. It's back to having a friendly cat face. :3:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
i mean it would be a hell of a sleeper for sure but not sure honda would be smart bringing a fun teenie tiny car (which hopefully would have a MT) to the land of SUV/crossovers and TRUCKS

(if they did i would buy it tho)

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Google Now randomly decided to show me an article from India, and, uh

That R variant will apparently have 220 horsepower. No indication if it will ever come to the US.

That would be amazing.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

TrueChaos posted:

So I managed 44 mpg in my 18 GTI on the highway, cruising at 70mph. Verified at fill up. I don't normally cruise that slow, but was on a work trip to the states and didn't want to get pulled over with Ontario plates.

That's so far out of bounds I think you have a math error

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I got 37 mpg on a tank in my GTI at 80 mph. With good winds at a lower speed it might be doable?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

If you're driving through the flat planes of Dakota going straight for 200 miles with cruise control, I buy it.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Taken just after fill up, about 2 hours into a 4 hour drive on i90 east with little enough traffic that I didn't have to disable the cruise until I hit the toll getting off at i81 north. What I calculated based on the fill up was 5.311 L/100km. I'm averaging 6.4 L/100km (36.7mpg) mostly highway driving with minimal traffic at ~81mph, so it's within the realm of possible. Wind was definitely with me too, though it wasn't a stupid windy day.

And I need to fill up my windshield washer fluid too.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Just bought this 2018 FoST

I love it but I’m gonna miss my Abarth :gbsmith:

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Nice!

In case you haven't experienced it yet, welcome to the cleaning hell that is owning a black car :respek:

Amnomia
Jun 12, 2003

actually, contrary to popular belief: gtis own. highly recommended.

Amnomia
Jun 12, 2003

if u disagree your wrong. probably drive like: toyota, etc

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

a mysterious cloak posted:

Nice!

In case you haven't experienced it yet, welcome to the cleaning hell that is owning a black car :respek:

I’m already getting the garage set up for detailing because I have deluded myself into believing that a spotless black car is a realistic and attainable goal in this life :hfive:

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Ehud posted:

I’m already getting the garage set up for detailing because I have deluded myself into believing that a spotless black car is a realistic and attainable goal in this life :hfive:

You might as well commit ritual suicide now

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

a mysterious cloak posted:

Nice!

Oh hey I opened my garage door to take the trash cans out to the street and now my car needs a full detail cause a breeze of 1 mph blew in some pollen. It looks so good for 15 minutes though.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I’ve embraced the dirty car look. I never take off my hitch rack so I always have an excuse not to wash it. Maybe today. (I won’t)

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Elephanthead posted:

Oh hey I opened my garage door to take the trash cans out to the street and now my car needs a full detail cause a breeze of 1 mph blew in some pollen. It looks so good for 15 minutes though.

:allears:

Oh yeah, it looks amazing. And then you finish washing it and it's already dusty.

I just pretend the dust/pollen is an ablative layer that actually protects the finish. Sort of like space shuttle tiles.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Black cars have this weird thing where they look dirty when they're spotless (because they reflect light), and then they develop a layer of dirt and look clean again, and then accumulate a little more dust and look dirty again.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

revmoo posted:

Black cars have this weird thing where they look dirty when they're spotless (because they reflect light), and then they develop a layer of dirt and look clean again, and then accumulate a little more dust and look dirty again.

Its worst, when I had my first black car, it was jet black, aka pure black, no flake, no nothing. It looked phenomenal when clean, acted like a mirror. My second is basalt black, meaning there's a fine metal flake in the paint. Spotless and mirror finish and at first glance it just looks dusty because of the flake in the paint.

I've always said black is both the best and worst to detail. Every imperfection is more visible than in a lighter color, but when it's done right it's incredibly reflective and looks gorgeous. Then 2 minutes pass and it's covered in dust, or pollen, or gently caress you it rains.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
How about white? It seems like lots of gently used GTIs in white are floating around and I like the look of it combined with the black and red accents.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Apollodorus posted:

How about white? It seems like lots of gently used GTIs in white are floating around and I like the look of it combined with the black and red accents.

My Abarth is white and it's really easy to keep it looking nice. I almost got the FoST in white because of how easy it was to maintain a white car.

But the black...something about it spoke to me. It said, "Ehud, I look so tough in black and I promise I'll stay clean."

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

My GTI is white. It’s nice. I’d love that cornflower blue but it wasn’t available back then, and it seems like it would clash with the red accents. The dark blue isn’t bad either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

The truth is in the middle, as slate/gun metal gray is the best color for a gti.

mines black