Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ulex minor
Apr 30, 2018

Gokuweed420 posted:

Are you kidding? Have you SEEN tcc?

have you seen your dumb idiot face?? :mmmhmm:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Loomer posted:

Why should the downtrodden be obligated to only create positive messages, rather than writing about their experiences and what they find funny?

No reason whatsoever. Being amused by the misery of the downtrodden is not my thing, and frankly probably indicative.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Loomer posted:

Why should the downtrodden be obligated to only create positive messages, rather than writing about their experiences and what they find funny?

A hell of a lot of people have a weird attitude of "nobody wants to hear about that poo poo." You can find humor in pretty much anything but way too many people these days want to just bury anything that makes them even the least bit uncomfortable. If you've had struggles with poverty, mental health, addiction, or growing up in a lovely neighborhood it can be tough to talk about on account of a lot of people just not wanting to hear about it at all. It's also frustrating because a lot of people just absolutely don't get it. "Why didn't you just..." is a common refrain, really. This is why MM&O resonates with a ton of people; they know how absurdly difficult it can be to escape that kind of situation even if you want to.

What people want to believe is that people living like that are choosing it. While some are a hell of a lot of others don't know what issues like depression and addiction actually do and are actually like. Mostly it isn't something you choose; it's something that kind of creeps up on you. The biggest snag is that there comes a point where it becomes comfortable.

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

What's wrong with you? You don't even have your beer goggles on!!

Beartaco posted:

I hadn't heard of MM&O until tonight, I read everything that was on Vice and I really enjoyed it! Thanks goons!

Is there more of it out there online? Definitely tempted to pick up a physical copy.

I recommend buying Megahex to start with and eventually the other hardcover collections if you find them worth your money.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Beartaco posted:

I hadn't heard of MM&O until tonight, I read everything that was on Vice and I really enjoyed it! Thanks goons!

Is there more of it out there online?

Page 2 of this very thread. :ssh:

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Did Dustin ever kill his dad.

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away

Rust Martialis posted:

No reason whatsoever. Being amused by the misery of the downtrodden is not my thing, and frankly probably indicative.

You're not this stupid that you think this is what it is, and that hill isn't as glorious to die on as it might seem.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Gokuweed420 posted:

Are you kidding? Have you SEEN tcc?

No I am an upstanding SA member and only go on Games, PYF, and SAS.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Rust Martialis posted:

What is this bullshit, you don't have to like MM&O but don't turn it into this weird pseudo-moralistic thing

Do you get your panties in a bunch if someone says they've seen Trainspotting

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Phlegmish posted:

Do you get your panties in a bunch if someone says they've seen Trainspotting

Did you find the dead baby scene in the movie *particularly* funny and "relatable"?

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I'm 100% here for Rust's incipient meltdown as he contorts himself to justify not liking MM&O as some kind of moral statement or anything beyond simply "not liking it for whatever reason"

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Rust Martialis posted:

Did you find the dead baby scene in the movie *particularly* funny and "relatable"?

Ah, I see what's going on. When someone says they 'enjoy' MM&O, you think that means they enjoy it in the way that one might enjoy a Garfield comic, laughing at the slapstick humor and punchlines.

That Owl! When will he catch a break!! :D :D

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I can see why people don't like MM&O since it doesn't really have humor, jokes, punchlines, etc as we expect from a comic or entertainment in general. Achewood is a good substitute with more universal appeal

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Phlegmish posted:

When someone says they 'enjoy' MM&O, you think that means they enjoy it in the way that one might enjoy a Garfield comic, laughing at the slapstick humor and punchlines.

Well, I was responding earlier to Loomer who said:

"Why should the downtrodden be obligated to only create positive messages, rather than writing about their experiences and what they find funny?"

Then you brought up Trainspotting in that context, which was mildly puzzling.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I can see why people don't like MM&O since it doesn't really have humor, jokes, punchlines, etc as we expect from a comic or entertainment in general. Achewood is a good substitute with more universal appeal

IMO Swan Boy sits in the intersection of the two circles, though with far more Achewood in the mix

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

IMO Swan Boy sits in the intersection of the two circles, though with far more Achewood in the mix

I like Swan Boy, but dislike both MM&O and Achewood.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Slimy Hog posted:

I like Swan Boy, but dislike both MM&O and Achewood.

:hfive:

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Stupid sexy snake, living the life I want to. Lying still, eating big things, sleeping...

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

T'ain't no sin to take off your skin.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I don't know how I feel.about MM&O. I read them and enjoy them but definitely not in the way you do fun media. It's like a Trainwreck I can't look away from.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

By popular demand posted:

T'ain't no sin to take off your skin.
And :skeltal: around in your bones.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

Len posted:

I don't know how I feel.about MM&O. I read them and enjoy them but definitely not in the way you do fun media. It's like a Trainwreck I can't look away from.

Some media you enjoy because it makes you good, some bad. It's like enjoying a movie that makes you cry. As long as it's well put together and has some sincerity at its core, and MM&O definitely does, then who's to judge? Fantastical trappings aside, the characters have a realness to them, in the same way Achewood does.

What's the feeling MM&O is reaching for? Some kind of grim combination of nostalgia and ennui? I can't place it.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Nobody has said what "MM&O" is in like 50 pages and I'm still waiting for a context that never comes

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

FactsAreUseless posted:

Nobody has said what "MM&O" is in like 50 pages and I'm still waiting for a context that never comes

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
The context is, FAU, that you should ban these intellectual perverts for enjoying a bad comic.

Just kidding! You should mute them, because muting people always works on the internet!

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Just Offscreen posted:

Some media you enjoy because it makes you good, some bad. It's like enjoying a movie that makes you cry. As long as it's well put together and has some sincerity at its core, and MM&O definitely does, then who's to judge? Fantastical trappings aside, the characters have a realness to them, in the same way Achewood does.

What's the feeling MM&O is reaching for? Some kind of grim combination of nostalgia and ennui? I can't place it.

I'm ordering some Gochujang right now, I've had it dishes served to me but have yet to experiment with it, this salad dressing sounds excellent.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

FactsAreUseless posted:

It’s the comic “Massively Multiplayer & Online” which is a 2000’s era comic about two dysfunctional friends who play Everquest, Dark Age of Camelot, etc. and shows what MMO players be like. It was never funny unless you played the games, and then was only somewhat chuckle worthy. It also usually requires a huge write up explaining the joke, and was later revealed to just be the two creator’s fantasized versions of themselves.

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.
Massively Multiplayer & Online HTH

Edit: DAMMIT

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
it's the comic Massively Multiplayer & Online

e: jesus christ beaten soundly

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

HPanda posted:

It’s the comic “Massively Multiplayer & Online” which is a 2000’s era comic about two dysfunctional friends who play Everquest, Dark Age of Camelot, etc. and shows what MMO players be like. It was never funny unless you played the games, and then was only somewhat chuckle worthy. It also usually requires a huge write up explaining the joke, and was later revealed to just be the two creator’s fantasized versions of themselves.
Thank you.

umalt posted:

The context is, FAU, that you should ban these intellectual perverts for enjoying a bad comic.

Just kidding! You should mute them, because muting people always works on the internet!
I have no dog in this fight and didn't come to the thread because of it, I just kept waiting patiently for someone, anyone, to use the title of the comic. But the future refused to change...

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
yeah if you haven't read it you should totally look it up. The author took the comic down a while back but you should be able to find torrents out there (I hope/think). I'm glad I still have my hard copy of the first 3 volumes

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

HPanda posted:

tbh a lot of the magic came from merging this concept with the real reason people liked it, which was the desperate nowhere-ness of the characters' lives, it was super unique in that way

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

tbh a lot of the magic came from merging this concept with the real reason people liked it, which was the desperate nowhere-ness of the characters' lives, it was super unique in that way

I always felt like they jumped the shark when they started making comics about the Friends game.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
MM&O was posted in this very thread starting at the top page 2

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Who What Now posted:

MM&O was posted in this very thread starting at the top page 2
oh yeah, how could I forget?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Jesus christ

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

And this is something people enjoy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

FactsAreUseless posted:

And this is something people enjoy?

sure, people of a certain...spectrum

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)