Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Almanac
Mar 16, 2008

OLD SCHOOL
URW is an odd one, low fantasy meets survival. Can be rewarding but is usually very frustrating until you get a firm foothold. Worst part IMO is the winter. Not hard to survive if you're well prepared, but it is next level boring.

Loving this thread btw, I honestly didn't know this game existed until I started reading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Bringing the forums together with the greatest thread!
As far as pure survival simulations go, I still think Wilderness is pretty hard to beat. Almost all of my complaints is regarding UI/UX things, especially the way the game sometimes forces you to painstakingly type out multiple commands for simple tasks or being punished for it (while sometimes being extremely helpful about abstracting things for you), and not always being the best at presenting important information to the player. Still, when you consider that Wilderness was made back in 1986, it's still an amazingly impressive game, with some pretty deep calculations being done behind the scenes.

Although I really enjoy URW and consider it a decent second place in realistic survival games that also does some impressive things it has some design issues while actually playing it, not least the time scale making you perform many relatively mundane tasks over very long periods of time. This is compounded by the fact that your ability to survive improves over time, making you repeat tasks that start to feel less and less important for your immediate survival. Wilderness goes in the opposite direction by having a relatively limited scope and time scale, while the game mechanics force you to keep moving while your health and supplies are dwindling.

Anyway, actual update will come soonish. *This* time the delay was due to a combination of a surprisingly busy week combined with being a bit annoyed with having to replay the next update due to the fuckup I mentioned earlier.

Req.Martyr
May 4, 2016

I don't go by my caste, creed, or religion. My works speak for me.

Has the Jank has finally claimed Covski?

I predict Goonpa gave great difficulties while trying to replicate stuff, and between his awfulness and finicky game stuff, it went awry.

Such is LP :( good luck

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

LP is (as per usual) STILL not dead!

The lack of updates is partially because I've been distracted with real life stuff, partially because the game is, well, clunky to say the least, and having to redo a pretty long update do to the game being actively hostile to play sucked a bit of the LP energy out of me. The game isn't really that bad when you're just playing it (actually it's pretty enjoyable when you get used to it!), but wrangling the sometimes arbitrary syntax while also having to remember to take screen shots and trying to remember what's going on makes it quite a bit more arduous.

Since we have a quite clear path ahead - following Dogleg River for its entire length - with no real decision making needed, the next update(s) will cut down on the screenshots and play-by-play of Goonpa's doings, and be more of a travel log of what happened during each day, unless I encounter stuff we haven't seen previously. This should make it much more manageable, and also let us cover a lot more ground per update, unless something interesting (read: life threatening) happens.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Sounds good, looking forward to it!

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Glad you're still alive :dance:

I kept wanting to post and ask, and then I realised it's always me nagging and decided to mind my own for once!

ArbitraryTA
May 3, 2011
I still believe in this LP and in goonpa!

Rapacity
Sep 12, 2007
Grand
Goonpa's survived over a year now! What a guy!!11!

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

October 10. Sixth day in the wilderness.

6 pm. Goonpa does his usual camping routine and and eats the last scraps of bacon and rice.

October 11, seventh day in the wilderness.

Goonpa celebrates his one week anniversary of survival by waking up at dawn hungry as a bear, immediately scarfing down the strange (but hopefully non-poisonous) plants he foraged earlier before breaking camp and setting off along dogleg river.

By 9 am he reaches a small forested area, making a detour from following the river. This was completely accidental on my part, because when you follow the river shore you're quite likely to end up facing a direction where the game won't necessarily prompt you if you want to follow it again when you keep moving, making it easy to end up straying if you're not attentive enough. In this case it's not a big deal since I'm moving in short increments, and moving through forests can be pretty beneficial given the chances of finding free food that doesn't require any time expenditure, as discussed earlier.

Goonpa is hungry again and stuffs the rest of the plants into his fat old mouth, as well as starting on the candy bars. Finally a diet he recognizes from home! He also sees a rock on the ground, but doesn't pick it up.

The rest of the day is uneventful, with nothing edible to be found despite spending most of the day travelling through forested terrain.

Goonpa is looking in pretty rough shape still. I've been keeping him well hydrated, but I'm very wary of upping his food intake more than necessary, especially given how unlucky we've been with foraging today.

I also note that the temperature is just cold rather than freezing now, as well as the fact that there is no snow for us to boil here despite the ground being visibly covered in it. Whether this has to do with the temperature or us being in a forest, I do not know. :iiam:

October 12th, eight day in the wilderness.

Goonpa wakes up before dawn, alerted by the presence of edible critters! He makes an honest attempt to trap them, but to no avail :( Two separate instances of small game actually showed up, but we no luck in either case. Next time Goonpa's gonna try shooting the buggers - not because I have much faith in his frostbitten marksmanship, but we have bullets to spare and at least it will waste less time and energy.

With all the time wasted pretending to be a trapper, Goonpa doesn't get moving until 7:30, wasting precious daylight.

We're down to just nuts for food now, and while they're very energy rich Goonpa's burning through them at a prodigious rate. It doesn't take long to reach the river again, hopefully we can catch some fish to supplement our food stocks.

NOPE

The day is an endless depressing slog following the river up a never ending hill, with not a single fish to be seen and not even any real landmarks ahead of us to give any indication of progress.

Looking directly to our left, we can at least get some indication of our position in relation to Steep Mountain.

Good news though: The frostbite is gone! :woop: Despite early stages of dehydration and malnutrition, Goonpa's health isn't looking all too shabby! The food situation, however, is starting to look really dire. 27 ounces of nuts isn't going to last very long at all, considering how far Goonpa has left to walk. Not finding a single fish during the entire day really messed with us here.

Covski fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jun 19, 2019

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Seems like we're close to halfway to our goal. So if we manage to continue at this pace it might only take another week or so to get out. That should realistically be acceptable starvation-wise, although I don't know how it's going to affect our 'health' score or rate of progress. Are we better off conserving nuts for a day or two, or should we just eat and hope we don't die off after that too quickly?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
you will be alive but irl you will be pretty much immobile after a few days of starvation. i'm pretty sure the game models this by gutting your stamina, so like after an hour or two of travel you will get the "you are too tired to even lift your little finger!!!" message and you'll be forced to stop.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

As Coolguye alluded to, 3+ days or so of complete fasting is around the point where your body starts to consume its own protein just to keep your brain going, which is just about just as bad as it sounds. At least in real life, it would absolutely be worth rationing what calories you have available to stave this off as long as possible, though I'm not sure exactly how realistically the game simulates it. As per usual, the game is pretty stingy about giving exact information - "starvation" in Goonpa's case should probably at point be interpreted as the first signs of energy loss due to malnutrition.

Goonpa's been having surprisingly few fatigue issues recently however so that's not too worrying yet, which is very impressive considering that he's 82 years old and weighing in at 350 pounds at 4 feet 2. (that's 159kg and 127cm for those of us using normal civilized measurements)

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

I don't see what else we can do except keep on going. We're looking for food and making decent decisions, but the Dread God Arengee isn't letting us find anything useful. Try to ration our remaining nuts and hope for some luck; we don't have many options left.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Here's hoping the game models fat reserves, if so Goonpa can probably last for weeks!

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

We should be entering wooded area soon, so maybe we'll find something to eat before goonpa deleriously eats his leg.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

lofi posted:

We should be entering wooded area soon, so maybe we'll find something to eat before goonpa deleriously eats his leg.

Your map continues to match my notions of where we are. Good work!

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

It also neatly shows just how drat far Goonpa has made it. It's really quite impressive seeing where we are now from the start.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
I'm absolutely staggered that this guy

Covski posted:

82 years old and weighing in at 350 pounds at 4 feet 2.

Has even managed to stay alive this far. By all rights dude should have died of a heart attack on day one.

You go, Goonpa. You go.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

He's going to survive, come home ripped, write a best-seller diet book, and start a fad of people getting lost in the canadian wilderness to lose weight. That's why the wolves have left him alone, they're investing.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

October 12th, eight day in the wilderness.

6PM

Camp is made as per usual. Goonpa's nuts are pretty strictly rationed at this point (huh-huh-huh), trying to stave off full-on starvation for as long as possible.

I spent an hour of resting before bed, and his frost bite subsided again. It might be confirmation bias, but I'm getting the feeling that the REST command might be more effective for treating conditions like that than sleeping using the SLEEP command? It's not entirely illogical, if the game assumes that rest time is actively spent by the fire nursing the frost bitten limb, but I might also be completely wrong.

October 13th, ninth day in the wilderness.

Waking up at dawn, same camp breaking routine as always. EAT NUTS, PACK TENT, DOUSE FIRE, WEAR BACKPACK, USE SNOWSHOES, WALK, PAN RIGHT (adjusting facing so the game accepts that I'm trying to follow the river shore), USE SNOWSHOES, WALK. I'm not sure if I actually have to type USE SNOWSHOES every time or if just wearing them is good enough, but since there's no easy way to tell I don't want to risk it.

10AM

The first interesting occurrence in several days! There is fish in the water, but unfortunately Goonpa doesn't manage to catch any in the hour spent trying. It's a drat shame, since any additional calories at this point would be a godsend.

The rest of the day is spent walking along Dogleg River, with nothing else happening. A new mountain top is becoming visible in the distance however, giving some indication of progress.

7PM

Camp is made, and while Goonpa has been very hungry for the entire day, at least he's not feeling dehydrated anymore!

October 14th, tenth day in the wilderness.

6AM

Okay, forget what I said about not being dehydrated. Interestingly though, Goonpa's hunger actually somehow went down while he was sleeping! I have no good explanation for this. Either the hunger meter is an indicator of how hungry you feel, or this is some kind of consequence of his worsening state of malnutrition. :iiam:

You can safely ignore the sweating, it always seems to happen upon entering the tent after making fire, and goes away very quickly. In real life though, it would be a major concern in a cold environment since damp skin loses heat a tremendously much faster rate than dry skin, making hypothermia much more likely. If you've ever watched Survivor Man (which I recommend you do if you've enjoyed this LP so far!), you've probably seen him go "Welp, I accidentally started sweating so no I will have to keep walking the entire night because I'll die if I stop to rest" quite a few times.

3PM

Another long day of walking. The most interesting thing is that we get our first look at Endboss River in the distance, confirming that the mountain top we've been seeing is in fact the peak of Endboss River Mountain. And again Goonpa fails to catch any fish, making the food situation that much more threatening with every passing day.

Uh, also. Goonpa has poop parasite disease in him now :saddowns: It's apparently also popularly known as Beaver Fever, which sounds a lot more fun than it is.

Wikipedia posted:

Giardia lives in the intestines of infected humans or other animals, individuals of which become infected by ingesting or coming into contact with contaminated foods, soil, or water tainted by the feces of an infected carrier.

The symptoms of Giardia, which may begin to appear 2 days after infection, include violent diarrhoea, excess gas, stomach or abdominal cramps, upset stomach, and nausea. Resulting dehydration and nutritional loss may need immediate treatment. A typical infection can be slight, resolve without treatment, and last between 2–6 weeks, although it can sometimes last longer and/or be more severe.

It's, uh, a shame that we threw away that flagyl when we were lightening the load, isn't it? :saddowns::saddowns::saddowns:

I'll freely admit that this issue is on me though: I got lazy about properly boiling water when stopping to rest, because of the amount of typing involved as well as the ever present risk of forgetting your cooking utensils on the ground every time, since they're dropped after use. I honestly assumed that a quickly flowing mountain river water would be safe enough to drink, but I guess I underestimated the amount of dead beavers floating around the Canadian waterways. Important survival tip, kids: Never get lazy about hygiene. :shobon: At least it doesn't seem to be bringing his health percentage down all too much, but if the game accurately simulates the effects of diarrhea on Goonpa's ability to get nourishment from food this could be potentially dangerous.

Well, on that happy note: Have a map!

For reference, here's the view directly to our left.

And here's the view directly to our right.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

that infection is probably a death sentence with our supplies the way they are, and sprinting to the finish is out of the question at this stage.

that's likely gg, but no sense in stopping now.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Well, Goonpa sprinting anywhere at all has been out of the question from the get-go :v:

I'm not convinced that this hasn't been a dead man walking waddling scenario from the start given how slowly Goonpa moves, barring some amazing luck with finding food. A more physically fit character could probably have made the same trek a couple of times in the same time period, assuming identical play.

But have faith in Goonpa, if he's made it this far he can make it a bit further all the way!

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Goonpa's fine, he's just being seized by the uncontrollable urge to shitpost. Normal goon stuff. :v:

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Oh look, it's that thing we spent ages debating the chances of. Welp.

Doesn't really change our overall plan at this point, though. Keep going as best we can, try desperately to find more food along the way, hope not to die. We're... surprisingly close to our goal, all things considered, since by rights we should have keeled over days ago.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Hard to tell how far we've waddled without more landmarks, but it doesn't matter at this point - we just need to keep going. At least we don't have as much weight to carry!

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
And we'll keep lightening our load as we go on! :v:

Death or glory death march to Endboss River at this point?

Kangra
May 7, 2012

We probably won't die from the diarrhea directly, but I think it's going to slow us down enough that we aren't going to survive the weather. This seems like a really unlucky break, but given Goonpa's condition it's almost a miracle something else hasn't gotten to him yet.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Covski posted:

Well, Goonpa sprinting anywhere at all has been out of the question from the get-go :v:

I'm not convinced that this hasn't been a dead man walking waddling scenario from the start given how slowly Goonpa moves, barring some amazing luck with finding food. A more physically fit character could probably have made the same trek a couple of times in the same time period, assuming identical play.

But have faith in Goonpa, if he's made it this far he can make it a bit further all the way!

we didn’t make snowshoes at the first opportunity and I honestly think that is gonna end up being the big strategic lesson to take from this game. We were walking without them for at least two days and our speed tripled with them on (if memory serves). That’s basically an entire day of walking we missed out on, which would mean we would be almost to the end of dogleg and within a day’s hike of endboss by this point.

Our food ended up lasting a little shorter than I said it would so we maybe could have been a little bit better on that but ultimately that was handled pretty well.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

lofi posted:

Hard to tell how far we've waddled without more landmarks, but it doesn't matter at this point - we just need to keep going. At least we don't have as much weight to carry!

Dang, Goonpa's having a lovely time. I'm fine with "suboptimal" play in that we didn't know about the snowshoes and getting giardia, I feel it's pretty realistic for this kind of situation actually.

So, Goonpa is probably not gonna make it all that much further, but to my mind we have to stick to the forested area, take every opportunity to get whatever calories we can (shoot something, fish something) and once we reach the end it's a sprint to endboss, probably about as straight west and downhill as we can make it. Travelling downhill should be much quicker than the climb up the river, and the terrain should level out for us now. We ought to try and avoid any kind of uphill walk (fat people don't do that so well) and maybe get some extra rest to offset the debilitating disease? With the runs, dehydration is the biggest most immediate danger, so really we have to work at avoiding that.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

October 14th, tenth day in the wilderness.

3PM

It's not as if Goonpa is going to let a bit of copious making GBS threads stopping him, it's nothing he's not used to.

Had the situation been different a few days of rest had been worth considering, but given the food situation we're really in a race against time here. At least dehydration shouldn't be a problem, since there is plenty of water to drink in the river. It's not like drinking more beaver water is gonna make the situation much worse, right? :v:

7PM

Goonpa accidentally keeps walking past sunset, somewhat annoyingly. When using a travel command, you usually travel slightly more or less than the intended time even if you're not interrupted by any interesting occurences. This time, Goonpa kept trucking for a full extra 35 minutes, forcing him to make camp in the dark.

Also our good friend frostbite is back to visit! At least now we know that regular resting by the fire is enough to keep it at bay for the most of the time, and it will probably go away soon again. It could push Goonpa's health down to critical levels if combined with other conditions however. But, again, we really don't have the time to rest for extended periods of time.

You might also note that we're officially on flat terrain now! As a reminder, the first number of the slope indicator is the slope in the direction we are heading, while the second number is the slope on the general area.

I spend a use of the flashlight to make camp quicker. If you compare to the previous screenshot, you can see that the stars accurate move with the passage of time, which is pretty cool. The Big Dipper there is an important constellation for navigation, since it's the easiest way to find the north star if you're forced to orient yourself using the stars.

October 15th, eleventh day in the wilderness.

Goonpa gets his ten hours of beauty sleep, and is ready to get going around 7 AM.

Again, oddly, his hunger level jumps up to "okay" after an hearty breakfast consisting of an entire ounce of nuts. Some kind of shenanigans is obviously going on here. :iiam:

8 AM

The weather turns worse again, with heavy snow an 28mph winds. As a reference the Beaufort scale classifies this a "strong breeze", for comparison about the point where it becomes difficult to use an umbrella.

Again, under normal circumstances taking shelter and waiting it out might have been an option to consider, but I decide that the snow and winds are less dangerous than risking starvation, so Goonpa pushes on. Hopefully it will pass quickly.

11 AM

Fish! Fishing in a snowstorm is by no means optimal, but I'm still more concerned with starvation than I am with the weather.

But of course, Goonpa once again fails to catch anything :(

2 PM

Hey, at least the snow stopped! This is the first time we've seen rain I think. Rain is in all probably worse for us than snow, since it's more liable to get us wet and thus cold. Hopefully Goonpa is dressed well enough to weather it. Also, we are heading downhill slightly at this point.

6PM

During the next four hours of walking the rain turns into snow, and the weather finally clears just around camp making time.

October 16th, twelfth day in the wilderness.

6AM

As Goonpa prepares for another day of trekking, we can see that Steep Mountain is pretty far behind us in the distance.

2 PM

The day is uneventful, until we finally spot some fish in the water again.

THEN WE PROMPTLY SPEND SIX AND A HALF HOURS OF FISHING WITHOUT CATCHING ANYTHING :saddowns::saddowns::saddowns:

With the day completely wasted, Goonpa makes camp in the same spot and cries himself to sleep.

October 17, thirteenth day in the wilderness.

6 AM

Apparently I STILL haven't been drinking enough water to stave off Goonpa's diarrhea induced dehydration, but that should be easy enough to fix.

11 AM

Dogleg River starts to turn quite markedly, and it almost looks like it connects to Endboss river...? We'd better check our map.

That's odd. What if we zoom in a bit?

:ohdear:

The map has been lying to us the whole time!

Or possibly, we didn't really think too hard on how far up Endboss River Mountain actually runs when we zoomed in on the area the last time, and promptly forgot about it. At least I sure as hell didn't remember!

Also, Goonpa is really not looking so hot right now :ohdear::ohdear::ohdear:

It's been a while, but it's :siren: thread decision time! :siren:

I was honestly pretty surprised to realize just how in the way Dogleg River is, since it's not obvious at all on the zoomed out map: I'd just assumed that the river we could see on Endboss River Mountain was in fact, Endboss River.

The way I see it, we're faced with two options here. Either we take an extra rafting trip across Dogleg River at some point soon (which will be dangerous and horrible), or add at least extra couple of days to our journey by hiking around it (which will be horrible and dangerous).

On the plus side, if we cross the river here a straight shot towards the ranger station (that little black-purple square) will take us through the forest, and even a middling amount of nuts or plants or insects would be a massive increase to our food supply, of which we have basically none. On the other hand, we could skirt through a forest even if we hike around the river, but the extra time taken will probably kill Goonpa if we're unlucky enough to not find anything. On the other hand, rafting is in and of itself a very dangerous prospect.

Either way, we're getting terrifyingly close to our goal!

What do you think, thread?

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Follow the ways of our gooncestors from the ancient past and ford. That. River! Clocks optional

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

We're in the endgame no matter what. Raft that bitch.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Caulk Goonpa's bottom, and set sail!

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
We're hosed either way. This is what we dragged that raft up a mountain for. Get to floatin'.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
Yeah, raft is light marafakas!

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
As in, it is The Light and if we dont use it.... you get me

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

so the following is my my evaluation of the situation.

the rivers here flow primarily southerly here, if my memory serves me correctly from our experience on intheway. this means that rafting dogleg takes us away from where we want to go, but rafting endboss is good for us up until the fork in the river. rafting dogleg too early may end up actually putting us further away from endboss depending on how quickly goonpa manages to get across the river.

the ideal situation would be to land at this dot:

and then travel west at the edge of the forest until we hit endboss.

judging by the time we crossed intheway: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3857098&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=7#post484990131

we can expect quite a bit of movement on the river assuming all of the rivers are moving at about the same clip (which appears to be pretty drat brisk).

it's hard to judge exactly how much because the zoom isn't at the same level here, but if we went to the red dot on the eastern side of dogleg we would likely be safe from being thrown back around the riverbend. i suspect that if we wanted to land more or less at the red dot, we'd end up having to walk all the way around dogleg, at which point obviously the point is moot.

the crappy thing is, i knew i saw a few blue pixels on the map that indicated water north of dogleg, but i had dismissed it as a small pond.

my overall conclusion here is that we should probably just cross right now and hope we don't get swept too far back around the riverbend. another day of walking is another day of walking no matter how you slice it, and trying to walk north in the hopes that we won't lose progress is still delaying our progress just as much.

beyond that, i don't know if the command LOOK RIVER will work but it's worth a try to see if that will give us info on the character of the water.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jul 1, 2019

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Dawncloack posted:

As in, it is The Light and if we dont use it.... you get me

I know now, without a doubt.. the inflatable raft is... light!

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
Ford the river!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Sure Goonpa might die, but think of the glory of he succeeds!