Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

bobjr posted:

I just wanted to see Bane without the mask.

wasn't it just a pain suppressor because he got his faced hosed up bad in magic bullshit prison? i assume he just had a hosed up mouth or some poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Hbomberguy posted:

Batman is interesting specifically because he's a bad guy. He's not a friendly neighbourhood hero or a flying boy scout, he's a seriously unwell man with intense baggage, no oversight, and unlimited resources, spending those resources building a supertank and telling his pals it's ok becuase he 'doesn't kill people', presumably through the manic stare of a person who truly doesn't understand what tends to happen when you drive a tank through a mall or throw bat-shaped shurikens at humans, or punch people in the face with reinforced carbon fibre fists.

Basically: Batman works best in the exact moments when he is no better than his enemies. The Nolan films pull their punches. Batman drives through a public area in a military vehicle and then on a superbike, blows poo poo up left and right, and his butler's like 'it's a miracle nobody was killed!' because if this did in fact kill a single person it wouldn't be so much fun anymore would it? The film has to remind you. Batman doesn't kill Liam Neeson, he just 'doesn't save' him. Which is different, somehow. The villains are presented as objectively the bad guys. Batman is always the good guy in a way that erases the qualities that make Batman interesting.

I think this has a lot to do with what version of Batman we're talking about. In something like Batman TAS, Batman's still all 'I am vengeance, I am the night', but he's not a total monster, and he's shown to be sympathetic towards some of his foes.

Some of it has to do with the 'universe' as well. In something like TAS or the '60 Batman, there weren't these elongated, episode-long moral quandaries where Batman dwelled on whether he should kill the Joker or not. This isn't to say that some of the shows touched on subjects pertaining to that, but in something like the '60s Batman show, you wouldn't necessarily have a situation like the one with those two boats rigged with explosive in The Dark Knight (and if there was, it would have been something that was resolved humorously with the Bat-Signal-Jammer or something).

You mention Batman's anti-Justice League plans (Tower of Babel, or Justice League: Doom for the animated version), and when it comes to light, the Justice League is upset that Batman devised such a thing. His reasoning (which, if you take the DC Universe as whole, or any comic book universe) is that there's the chance that one of the other members goes rogue or get mind-controlled, but I think it does still paint Batman as being paranoid.

(Sidebar: If you want to get really pedantic :goonsay: Batman's anti-Justice League plans were meant to just incapacitate the other members; they were made lethal by R'as or whoever it was who stole them. Additionally, at the end (or maybe in another story), while they do expel Batman from the League, Superman does acknowledge Batman's point, and grants him a piece of kryptonite.)

My overall point is that Batman's mental state can range from being borderline crazy or perfectly well-adjusted. However, it depends on what show/movie/comic it is, and who's writing him.

EDIT: Also, since '60s Batman works directly and openly with the police, does that mean that '60s Batman is the most fascist-istic of the Batmans?

bobjr posted:

But if they had pulled it off, wouldn't he die?

Maybe it would have just been very painful.

I'm sorry, I had to do it...

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jul 2, 2019

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

bobjr posted:

...Watch Fury Road? :confused:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZBnqsiQQrk&t

anyone ever watch this dude. he basicaly explains various stuff in dungeons and dragons lore/universe in a very mandaloregaming humor style.

nine-gear crow posted:

"something, something, cuck mask" Some chud probably.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

nine-gear crow posted:

Bah, he's got a mask in this one, too! :argh: drat it, Hollywood! Why are you so scared of Tom Hardy's face?

I do remember someone making the joke that the reason why Tom Hardy's face was covered and voice was distorted in Dark Knight Rises was to keep people from remembering that he was Shinzon in Star Trek Nemesis.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

He was really good at it though.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Dapper_Swindler posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZBnqsiQQrk&t

anyone ever watch this dude. he basicaly explains various stuff in dungeons and dragons lore/universe in a very mandaloregaming humor style.

I watch his videos on occasion but something about his humor rubs me the wrong way.

buddhist nudist
May 16, 2019
If Tom Hardy was truly a good actor he wouldn't wear a mask in all these films. What are you hiding?

buddhist nudist fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jul 2, 2019

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Max Wilco posted:

Bah, he's got a mask in this one, too! :argh: drat it, Hollywood! Why are you so scared of Tom Hardy's face?

I do remember someone making the joke that the reason why Tom Hardy's face was covered and voice was distorted in Dark Knight Rises was to keep people from remembering that he was Shinzon in Star Trek Nemesis.

Oh I heard that was because he had beautiful soft lips or something.

Also, question about obliviousnsess. Lindsay Ellis' Game of Thrones video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hys_m3BPTS8&t=1776s

Is that the first sign of Tyrion's character starting to slide towards being garbage or is it officially showing that he's been made worse compared to the book? I have no idea what the differences are, aside from y'know, Jon Snow isn't like 11 in the show. Stuff like that.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

RareAcumen posted:

Is that the first sign of Tyrion's character starting to slide towards being garbage or is it officially showing that he's been made worse compared to the book? I have no idea what the differences are, aside from y'know, Jon Snow isn't like 11 in the show. Stuff like that.

2011-2016 are seasons 1-6 of the show, so she's saying that Tyrion's character slid down the ramp and into the trash incinerator after that point. The bit where Tyrion slaps Joffrey was... I want to say season 2, right after Joffrey was hit with some poo while walking through King's Landing and started a riot that almost killed them all, and brought Sansa really close to being raped. It was well-justified action and a biting quip that was a large part of why Joffrey tried to have Tyrion killed at the Battle of the Blackwater.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Jul 2, 2019

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

A big flaming stink posted:

Where does the DCAU/Batman Beyond Bruce fall in this spectrum in your opinion?

e: vvv wait wait wait, Scarecrow was loving Walter Bishop??? :stare:
I feel DCAU Batman is probably the best incarnation because it actually shows the consequences of being Batman with Bruce's state by Beyond.

buddhist nudist
May 16, 2019

RareAcumen posted:

Oh I heard that was because he had beautiful soft lips or something.

Also, question about obliviousnsess. Lindsay Ellis' Game of Thrones video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hys_m3BPTS8&t=1776s

The slap is still in book territory and shows Tyrion as he is. In the books, Tyrion was never a particularly good person. He was very well read and very clever, but he also had a legendary temper and wasn't as smart as he thought he was (or more accurately, everyone else wasn't as dumb as he thought they were).

The show captures his character for the first four seasons pretty well, but like everybody else, his IQ drops 20 points and his personality changes completely the second he enters Dany's orbit.

buddhist nudist fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Jul 2, 2019

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

buddhist nudist posted:

The slap is still in boom territory and shows Tyrion as he is. In the books, Tyrion was never a particularly good person. He was very well read and very clever, but he also had a legendary temper and wasn't as smart as he thought he was (or more accurately, everyone else wasn't as dumb as he thought they were).

The show captures his character for the first four seasons pretty well, but like everybody else, his IQ drops 20 points and his personality changes completely the second he enters Dany's orbit.

Nuns with Guns posted:

2011-2016 are seasons 1-6 of the show, so she's saying that Tyrion's character slid down the ramp and into the trash incinerator after that point. The bit where Tyrion slaps Joffrey was... I want to say season 2, right after Joffrey was hit with some poo while walking through King's Landing and started a riot that almost killed them all, and brought Sansa really close to being raped. It was well-justified action and a biting quip that was a large part of why Joffrey tried to have Tyrion killed at the Battle of the Blackwater.

Ah alright. I don't have any of the context of this stuff. I know that everyone hates Joffery (And dumb people, as always, can't separate the character from the actor) so it seemed like a good line but I had no idea if it was a good times everybody loves Tyrion moment or some 'what the hell are you doing?' stuff like him killing his girlfriend that he loved and had no conflict with.

buddhist nudist
May 16, 2019

RareAcumen posted:

stuff like him killing his girlfriend that he loved and had no conflict with.

Whether we're talking about the show canon or the book canon, this is a completely incorrect reading of the scene. Tyrion ends up killing Shae after she provided false testimony that partially led to him being sentenced to death for a crime he didn't commit and then finding her naked in his dad's bed. This still doesn't make his actions legally or morally justified but it wasn't cold blooded murder either.

The whole breakdown of his relationship with prostitutes, his relationship with his father, and all the politics leading up to that would be many thousand words nobody in this thread wants to read

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

buddhist nudist posted:

If Tom Hardy was truly a good actor he wouldn't wear a mask in all these films. What are you hiding?

I still have no idea what Tom Hardy's normal voice sounds like.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

MiddleOne posted:

Season 4 is fantastic with pretty much only season 2 competing for being the best for what it's worth. :shrug:

Season 4 would have been a good finish to the series thematically too... Dammit HBO. :negative:

Season 5 is technically the worst one, yeah, but I don't think it's anywhere near bad. Its biggest problem is that the new newspaper characters are boring.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

It's aggressively mediocre and stale, which in my book is a worse crime than being bad.

EDIT: Oz was the same just that no one mercy-killed it in time. Endlessly and without a goal recycling plotlines, character development and themes to where it at some point started becoming a parody of itself and yet the show just kept going on.

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Jul 2, 2019

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
This is a good post on how show Tyrion and book Tyrion diverge.

Tyrion killing his father and Shae and lying to Jaime is the tipping point of his slide into darkness in the books (at the end of book 3), and his support for Dany is built on his desire for revenge.

Ghostlight posted:

The best Batman villain is Anarky, that's why he's in nothing.

He's in Arrow Season 4. But if you like Anarky you won't like that version of him.

Ubik_Lives
Nov 16, 2012

Hbomberguy posted:

Batman is interesting specifically because he's a bad guy. He's not a friendly neighbourhood hero or a flying boy scout, he's a seriously unwell man with intense baggage, no oversight, and unlimited resources, spending those resources building a supertank and telling his pals it's ok becuase he 'doesn't kill people', presumably through the manic stare of a person who truly doesn't understand what tends to happen when you drive a tank through a mall or throw bat-shaped shurikens at humans, or punch people in the face with reinforced carbon fibre fists.

It’s a work of fiction though. You may not be able to suspend your disbelief that Batman doesn’t kill, or that he lives in a world with gun-shy cops, porous prisons, immortal ninjas, wizards, aliens, plant-controlling women, etc, but that’s the buy in.

Batman exists as mostly comic book fantasy and small amount of self-reflection. It’s a world with all the regular trappings of super villains that require super heroes to oppose them, but it also acknowledges that vigilantism is illegal and Batman must operate in the shadows, and that an avatar of justice would be concerned with the lives of both those in danger and the criminals.

You may not like that the comics/shows let Batman have his cake and eat it too, but the majority of comic book heroes oppose their enemies with force without much acknowledgement for potential casualties. Superman may be a boy scout, but he still punches monsters through occupied apartment buildings, and never hits something a tiny bit too hard and kills it. It’s the same fiction, only Superman just asks you not to think about it, rather than pointing it out and asking you to trust Batman’s abilities.

To each their own though. I like having a no-kill cartoon Batman, unrealistic as it is, because it shows us a world where it accepts that policing criminals will require force, but we should always strive for a bloodless outcome. Where criminals are often not just bad people, but victims of (massively over the top) circumstances, and could be rehabilitated (though the comic book need for reoccurring villains kind of screws this one over). Where Batman is just a band-aid, and actual change lies more in the realm of Wayne Foundation initiatives that target social inequality and opportunity. Where the hero exists outside the police force, allowing for stories critical of the police force.

That said, to me the Nolan films weren’t the high-water mark, but in not-my-Batman territory. Batman getting information out of a mobster by throwing him onto the street to break his legs isn’t a minimal harm form of justice. His code wasn’t part of a greater ideology that we should strive for; it was just an arbitrary line in the sand. The Snyder films at least were having a commentary about the failings of our world against the fantasy world these heroes normally reside in. The Nolan films had him as a violent dick who knew white privilege might not get him out of a murder charge.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

GrandpaPants posted:

Chances are that you don't know what Gary Oldman's voice sounds like either. He doesn't use his natural accent In movies and rarely uses the same accent twice.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

what really blew my mind is when i found out he's a dwarf.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

GrandpaPants posted:

Hardy talking in his natural accent is whooosh, a trip. He's so good at faking despite his heritage.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Is the Baltimore persona supposed to be creepy as all gently caress? Not their looks, but the way they speak just weirds me out.

Archer666 fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Jul 2, 2019

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

buddhist nudist posted:

Whether we're talking about the show canon or the book canon, this is a completely incorrect reading of the scene. Tyrion ends up killing Shae after she provided false testimony that partially led to him being sentenced to death for a crime he didn't commit and then finding her naked in his dad's bed. This still doesn't make his actions legally or morally justified but it wasn't cold blooded murder either.

The whole breakdown of his relationship with prostitutes, his relationship with his father, and all the politics leading up to that would be many thousand words nobody in this thread wants to read
Tbf I thought that much like the entirety of the last season the ground work had been laid for Shae's turn but was horribly executed in the last moments of it. But I can't really put my finger on why it felt like it was done wrong because yeah it does "make sense".

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

that shot always fucks me up because he looks like gerard butler there.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Sarcopenia posted:

Tbf I thought that much like the entirety of the last season the ground work had been laid for Shae's turn but was horribly executed in the last moments of it. But I can't really put my finger on why it felt like it was done wrong because yeah it does "make sense".

its because in the books, it makes it obvious that she never loved him and also his first wife did actually love him and tywin was just being a spiteful monster. in the show, they make shae's love real but keep the plotline of her betraying him, but they also have to keep tyrion as the great guy the show makes him out to be.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

They try and give him an excuse because she attacks him with a knife in show, but he strangles her without any attack from her in the books, which might have been seen as out of character. I think it still would have worked if you wanted to sell him as someone taking a dark turn though.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

buddhist nudist posted:

The slap is still in book territory and shows Tyrion as he is. In the books, Tyrion was never a particularly good person. He was very well read and very clever, but he also had a legendary temper and wasn't as smart as he thought he was (or more accurately, everyone else wasn't as dumb as he thought they were).

To be fair, he got pretty stupid in the books, too. and should have died from whatever that disease is that made you turn into a rock and/or drowned in that river he was on either in book 4 or 5, they meld in my mind.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
God what did Tyrion even do in the book4/5?
Nothing at all that I can find worth remembering.

Though I believe even in the books he does mellow out a bit, and I always liked his show interpretation more. (Mostly season 1-4, but he had an occasional decent scene later)

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I would have been more forgiving of AFFC's change in focus if there was an actual climax. You do not spend 800 pages telling a story that cuts off in a cliffhanger instead of some moment of catharsis.

Also there were a bunch of redundant narrators whose names all begin with A for some reason: Arya, Arianne, Arys, Areo, Asha, Aeron...

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Jul 2, 2019

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

DeafNote posted:

Though I believe even in the books he does mellow out a bit, and I always liked his show interpretation more. (Mostly season 1-4, but he had an occasional decent scene later)

He's not in book 4.

In book 5 he travels across Essos and from a plot perspective he's mostly there to give a perspective on Aegon. If the book had actually ended where it was meant to he'd have been one of the people in the great clusterfuck Battle of Mereen.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I would have been more forgiving of AFFC's change in focus if there was an actual climax. You do not spend 800 pages telling a story that cuts off in a cliffhanger instead of some moment of catharsis.

Let me tell you about the Dresden Files book ----------Changes--------...

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Someone should have sat down with him and had him edit down AFFC+ADwD into one good book. But at that point the series was too successful for them to want him to write fewer books.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Someone should have sat down with him and had him edit down AFFC+ADwD into one good book. But at that point the series was too successful for them to want him to write fewer books.

The original plan was for them to be zero books, since there was going to be a time-skip after book 3.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

DeafNote posted:

He did it with an ex-nun and drank her breastmilk while thinking a lot about "wherever whores go".

Absurd Alhazred posted:

It was originally going to be one book with a timeskip to get the plot in the right place, but then GRRM realized that too much was glossed over in the timeskip and he was writing too many flashbacks. Then when he switched to writing all the way through it, he hit snags on exactly how to push characters where they needed to go. He kept referring to "The Myreeneese Knot" in his LiveJournal updates, so most likely Essos has been as much of a clusterfuck for him to resolve as it has been to read.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

A good example of a cliffhanger would be the show Legend of Galactic Heroes. The penultimate episode of season 1 ends with the main-character about to get shot. The next episode has his man-crush 'buddy' take the bullet and die. This prompts some drastic action from the main-character and permanently changes the dynamic of the show. The story takes a different course than anticipated and a number of charactres wonder how history would be differed if man-crush 'buddy' had lived. No season of the show felt the need to end with cheap suspense.

Installments that end with a cliffhanger promising change seldom follow through. How many times did Sherlock yank off the audience with Moriarty's return?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Installments that end with a cliffhanger promising change seldom follow through. How many times did Sherlock yank off the audience with Moriarty's return?

Or the whole deal with Sherlock's "death". Not only did they not actually explain it, you were a goddamn idiot for even CARING about it. I think some guy did a video about it even.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Fil5000 posted:

Or the whole deal with Sherlock's "death". Not only did they not actually explain it, you were a goddamn idiot for even CARING about it. I think some guy did a video about it even.

That's the same episode with the dumbest "mystery" in the show.

Sherlock gets a case from an Underground expert about a man who was seen getting onto a train but who never got off it.

quote:

HOWARD: There’s nowhere he could go. It’s a straight run on the District Line between the two stations. There’s no side tunnels, no maintenance tunnels – nothing on any map. Nothing. The train never stops, and the man vanishes. Good, innit?

It turns out there is a tunnel that isn't marked on the maps which the expert had forgotten about. That's it.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

A good example of a cliffhanger would be the show Legend of Galactic Heroes. The penultimate episode of season 1 ends with the main-character about to get shot. The next episode has his man-crush 'buddy' take the bullet and die. This prompts some drastic action from the main-character and permanently changes the dynamic of the show. The story takes a different course than anticipated and a number of charactres wonder how history would be differed if man-crush 'buddy' had lived. No season of the show felt the need to end with cheap suspense.

speaking of

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CfulU2Y-z8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Fil5000 posted:

That's pretty in keeping with the books, at least. :v: