Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DarthBlingBling posted:

Close, it's a demon

That door is unlocked. It seems, less than compelling. There's symbolism there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Arivia posted:

Isn't there big distrust of banks in Mexico and therefore a lot of mattresses stuffed with bills? That would make it more likely for the Mexican Costcos to need to handle large amounts of cash.

The distrust of banks in Mexico just brought a memory to mind. I was crossing the border at Juarez with my boss and another co worker on business. As such, we had to pay for a visa. I guess you have to do that if you're not a tourist. 100 pesos. I was wearing normal clothes and they charged me $20 for 100 pesos. My boss was wearing a suit. They charged him $50 for 100 pesos. The other guy had on a tie so for him it was $30 for 100 pesos. The banker at El Banco de Mexico was eating pie at the counter the whole time.

Very strange.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
P tubes in a limo are to pass blunts to the driver.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
[quote="mostlygray"
I was wearing normal clothes and they charged me $20 for 100 pesos. My boss was wearing a suit. They charged him $50 for 100 pesos. The other guy had on a tie so for him it was $30 for 100 pesos. The banker at El Banco de Mexico was eating pie at the counter the whole time.

Very strange.
[/quote]

That’s just an extremely volatile exchange rate in action.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Using those tubes for a restaurant reminds me of another dining feature of the future: don't give your order to waitstaff; call it in from your table!

Around 1972 there was a family restaurant in my neighborhood in Oklahoma City that had a white, dial-less slimline style phone at every booth. You'd pick it up and wait for the kitchen to answer and then give them your order.

At the time it seemed very futuristic. :corsair:

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

Lester Shy posted:

One of the big scandals during the 2014 ebola outbreak was that the Dallas hospital used their pneumatic tube system to transport a sample of Thomas Eric Duncan's blood. I don't know if that was actually a breach of protocol or if it posed any real threat, but it was certainly scary at the time.

quote:

Duncan was diagnosed with sinusitis and abdominal pain and sent home at 3:37 a.m. with a prescription for antibiotics, which are not effective for treating viral diseases.
That anybody at that hospital retained their jobs after his case is hilarious, but hey it's :texas:

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Dick Trauma posted:

Using those tubes for a restaurant reminds me of another dining feature of the future: don't give your order to waitstaff; call it in from your table!

Around 1972 there was a family restaurant in my neighborhood in Oklahoma City that had a white, dial-less slimline style phone at every booth. You'd pick it up and wait for the kitchen to answer and then give them your order.

Look Around You had a brilliant parody of high-tech/futuristic restaurants in their second season. You can watch it here (skip to 19:00, and apologies for linking to Daily Motion but this video seems to be blocked on YouTube).

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Dick Trauma posted:

Pizza restaurant in my home town did that in the '70s. Ate there in a visit this month. Yup, still telephones, still same decor as ever. Loved it. Still doing a steady business, too.

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど

Platystemon posted:

Don’t use pneumatic tubes to transport radioactive material.
Some research reactors use pneumatic tubes to transport samples to and from the core for neutron bombardment. I'm not sure if that's because it's more rugged than other systems or just because they were all built in the early 60s when nuclear power was the hot new thing.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

Dick Trauma posted:

McDonald's tried this in my area back in the 90s. Instead of going up to the counter you could call them from the table and have them bring you your food. They also added some things to the menu to make it more like a Denny's or Village Inn. They kept the drive thru, but you could only order from the regular menu there, not the added items.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Pitch posted:

Some research reactors use pneumatic tubes to transport samples to and from the core for neutron bombardment. I'm not sure if that's because it's more rugged than other systems or just because they were all built in the early 60s when nuclear power was the hot new thing.
I've heard of recent construction doing the same, but I can't remember where.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Mr.Radar posted:

Look Around You had a brilliant parody of high-tech/futuristic restaurants in their second season. You can watch it here (skip to 19:00, and apologies for linking to Daily Motion but this video seems to be blocked on YouTube).

If I wasn't watching closely I would've thought that show was real, and not parody. :stonklol:

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I remember going to Showbiz Pizza as a kid in the early 80s, being mezmerized by their pizza pickup system.

You'd place your order at the counter, they'd give you a number. Throughout the restaurant were monitors. When there was a new order up, it would flash the number on the screen, then it would shrink and a PacMan like character would lead it to the list of ready orders. When yours was picked up, PacMan would go over to the number and munch it off the list. Forget playing the arcade games, I wanted to watch PacMan eat pizza!

edit: found a picture! This one has a spaceship animation.

Goober Peas has a new favorite as of 00:13 on Jul 2, 2019

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Techmoan strikes again
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xE2GEmHque8

Germany loved their weird-rear end electronics.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

No cyeramic knoives? Sad!

Lazlo Nibble
Jan 9, 2004

It was Weasleby, by God! At last I had the miserable blighter precisely where I wanted him!

Dick Trauma posted:

King’s Food Host? That was their gimmick at the Albuquerque location anyway.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Goober Peas posted:

I remember going to Showbiz Pizza as a kid in the early 80s, being mezmerized by their pizza pickup system.

You'd place your order at the counter, they'd give you a number. Throughout the restaurant were monitors. When there was a new order up, it would flash the number on the screen, then it would shrink and a PacMan like character would lead it to the list of ready orders. When yours was picked up, PacMan would go over to the number and munch it off the list. Forget playing the arcade games, I wanted to watch PacMan eat pizza!

edit: found a picture! This one has a spaceship animation.

They had these at Chuck e Cheese too.

I also remember places like Perkins would have a set of lights on the ceiling to tell the waitresses when orders were ready. A bell would ring and the number would light up. Can't find any pictures of it.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

What was the difference between showbiz and chuck e cheese?

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

spaceblancmange posted:

What was the difference between showbiz and chuck e cheese?

Rebranding.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Dick Trauma posted:

If I wasn't watching closely I would've thought that show was real, and not parody. :stonklol:

Look Around You is fantastic. Absolutely worth a watch, and unfortunately not that long. It really is extremely well done.

everything about this image is so perfect I have no idea what to tag myself as. The jorts? the CRT TV hanging off the wall? That carpet?

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Konstantin posted:

McDonald's tried this in my area back in the 90s. Instead of going up to the counter you could call them from the table and have them bring you your food. They also added some things to the menu to make it more like a Denny's or Village Inn. They kept the drive thru, but you could only order from the regular menu there, not the added items.

McDonalds also tried to revamp their "flagship locations" to actual sit-down restaurants, I think around 90's, at the time when they still had pizza on the menu at some places.

The foodstuff was exactly the same as in fast food joints, but they were served on a plate with cutlery and drink from normal glasses etc. as you would do in a normal restaurant. I remember seeing pictures of them in "normal" McD's, but I did not live near any location which was "fancied up".

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?

Der Kyhe posted:

McDonalds also tried to revamp their "flagship locations" to actual sit-down restaurants, I think around 90's, at the time when they still had pizza on the menu at some places.

The foodstuff was exactly the same as in fast food joints, but they were served on a plate with cutlery and drink from normal glasses etc. as you would do in a normal restaurant. I remember seeing pictures of them in "normal" McD's, but I did not live near any location which was "fancied up".

I went to one of these in King of Prussia, PA. Eating french fries off a plate is so wrong. However, the place had an insane array of rather fancy desserts like cakes and pies. Those were dang good.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
[quote="Code Jockey" post=""496395458"]
everything about this image is so perfect I have no idea what to tag myself as. The jorts? the CRT TV hanging off the wall? That carpet?
[/quote]
Obviously you weren’t around in 1980, which is OK. The answer is clearly the knee-high athletic socks.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

I had completely forgotten that some arcades would have multiple cabinets of the same game side-by-side because the demand to play them was just that high. :allears:

Popeye's a great little game, too.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Obviously you weren’t around in 1980, which is OK. The answer is clearly the knee-high athletic socks.
:yeah: :corsair::hf::corsair:

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

I was born in 82. :smith: I respect them, but could not personally identify with them

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Set-of-4-LIFETIME-30-PIN-Extended-SIMMs-101223/312576741959?epid=21026034893&hash=item48c7069247:g:veUAAOSwqKNb8B1Y

What.

"twice the lengthy and capacity."

Edit:The back is really interesting too, in a "Would this even work" sort of way:

Vanagoon has a new favorite as of 02:32 on Jul 3, 2019

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Pastry of the Year posted:

I had completely forgotten that some arcades would have multiple cabinets of the same game side-by-side because the demand to play them was just that high. :allears:

When Street Fighter 2 came out it was total madness, with some arcades having banks of them. Wikipedia tells me that in the UK machines were earning 1,000 pounds a week, which isn't bad for a machine that cost you about that to buy. It ranks third behind Space Invaders and Pac-man, but I don't have any clear memories of their popularity. Well, beyond Space Invaders being absolutely amazing, and a distinct memory of playing it with buttons for left and right instead of a joystick.
Not as bad as the original Defender cabinet that had 7 buttons: up, down, thrust, reverse,fire, hyperspace and smart-bomb! It was like a typing tutor.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

The street fighter 2 hype was pretty crazy at the time. My main arcade had 3 SF2 machines, all with those numbered quarter holders on the lower bezel so people could put their quarters up to claim next game, or at least their place in line. My town isn’t big at all, but those machines were constantly swarmed with people waiting to play. The local Walmart had one up front, and there was usually 2 or 3 people lined up to challenge the winner there, too.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Dick Trauma posted:

Stumbling across this show stoned out of my mind at like 2am in college felt like a transformative experience. It's wonderfully surreal.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Code Jockey posted:

Look Around You is fantastic. Absolutely worth a watch, and unfortunately not that long. It really is extremely well done.

It really is. It's absolutely accurate to the weird educational videos made in the 70s that we watched in UK schools well into the 90s, and it's incredibly funny to boot.

What are birds? We just don't know.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Quote-Unquote posted:

It really is. It's absolutely accurate to the weird educational videos made in the 70s that we watched in UK schools well into the 90s, and it's incredibly funny to boot.

What are birds? We just don't know.

THAT'S WHERE THAT'S FROM? :blush:

Sam Hall
Jun 29, 2003

Vanagoon posted:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Set-of-4-LIFETIME-30-PIN-Extended-SIMMs-101223/312576741959?epid=21026034893&hash=item48c7069247:g:veUAAOSwqKNb8B1Y

What.

"twice the lengthy and capacity."

Edit:The back is really interesting too, in a "Would this even work" sort of way:

Yeah, I noticed those too a while back while i was looking for a 512kb COAST module. I think the idea is, "this is the biggest capacity RAM stick we could build with the cheapest, lowest density chips we had on hand. Also it's for a specific computer (mac SE?) without a lot of headspace over the motherboard, so we had to build the sticks out horizontally instead of vertically".

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

I remember salvaging an AWE32 with a pair of 32mb 30-pin SIMMs once. Things were like two inches tall. I never could find another pair, though, so I could see if I could get a 386 with 128mb memory.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

rndmnmbr posted:

I remember salvaging an AWE32 with a pair of 32mb 30-pin SIMMs once. Things were like two inches tall. I never could find another pair, though, so I could see if I could get a 386 with 128mb memory.

My first "real" computer (a 133 MHz non-MMX Pentium I) had that same card, or one very similar to it.

It was a bit odd having a sound card with a sizeable percentage of your system RAM capacity.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

shovelbum posted:

Went to a place once that delivered guacamole by model train

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Apjvf9YNzEM

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I am still amazed that having a separate sound card today is basically only for people who do stuff with audio.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

I am still amazed that having a separate sound card today is basically only for people who do stuff with audio.

Is it really necessary even for that? Or is it one of those audiophile "wood knobs give a warmer tone" thing?

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli
Probably depends a bit on what you're doing, but I can see a sound card with a bunch of different inputs/outputs being quite useful. A quick Google shows a lot of sound cards with 5.1 surround out for example. The quality of the sound shouldn't be an issue, a DAC is a solved problem these days and there shouldn't be any noticable difference between any two DACs, except for build quality of course.

Most standard PCs these days just have 3.5mm stereo out and mic in and that's all 99% of users will ever need.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

I'm amazed nobody's made a gimmick device to connect a modern PC up to old tape recorder storage ala the commodore 64. Imagine getting a retro-modern game on tape that runs in windows 10.