Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
heard this at the grocery store:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wxcWLgOfNA

I always liked it as a kid, because it reminded me of the X-Files and fox mulder searching for his sister.

I was not cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Ambitious Spider posted:

heard this at the grocery store:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wxcWLgOfNA

I always liked it as a kid, because it reminded me of the X-Files and fox mulder searching for his sister.

I was not cool.

This song is exhibit A as to why some songs should be forever forgotten.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

Sex Hobbit posted:

This song came on at Walmart tonight and holy poo poo I had forgotten all about it. I remember my best friend was OBSESSED with Fastball in middle school.

Bobby Digital posted:

Fastball is inextricably linked with this band in my mind and I’m not sure why

I literally thought the first was by the second no lie, or by any one of the interchangeable sorta softrock grunge bands.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Bobby Digital posted:

Fastball is inextricably linked with this band in my mind and I’m not sure why

:hai:

I guess they both feature driving-related lyrics? I can't think of one without thinking of the other.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Iron Crowned posted:

This song is exhibit A as to why some songs should be forever forgotten.

Up to that post I had forgotten it. I’m not even sure I included it in my ~600-700 song Google Play ‘90s playlist. From the little I’d heard of them, The Nixons were just another Matchbox Twenty knockoff to me, part of the reason my excitement for music that started in 1994 had died down so much by ‘96.

I put some of the blame for that on being in rural Ohio as a teenager; I mean, for christ’s sake, they were playing Jewel and Joan Osborne on our local “rock” station, and the reception for the actual good stations was really poor where I lived.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

KHLAV KALASHNIKOV posted:

Up to that post I had forgotten it. I’m not even sure I included it in my ~600-700 song Google Play ‘90s playlist. From the little I’d heard of them, The Nixons were just another Matchbox Twenty knockoff to me, part of the reason my excitement for music that started in 1994 had died down so much by ‘96.

I put some of the blame for that on being in rural Ohio as a teenager; I mean, for christ’s sake, they were playing Jewel and Joan Osborne on our local “rock” station, and the reception for the actual good stations was really poor where I lived.

The Nixons had some legit good songs, that's not one of them. I used to see them play all the time in East Texas before they got famous.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

The McD chat in obsolete tech reminded me of something; were the "special themed McDonald's restaurants" a global thing in the late 80's/90's/early 2000?

I remember seeing pictures of sit-down versions of McD in pictures although we did not get one, they came with table service and normal cutlery, plates and glasses and stuff, I think they also served pizza. I know these existed because one goon mentioned being in one, and the general concept was also mentioned in the book "Fast Food Nation" I read ages ago.

We, well Helsinki at least, had one 50's themed (think Pulp Fiction) and other sports themed (baseball and motorsports which sort of translates to pesäpallo and Formula 1 for Finnish consumers) McDonald's... Or were these just bastardized versions by the local franchise owners in the era when the oversight was not completely airtight?

Der Kyhe has a new favorite as of 18:56 on Jul 2, 2019

uli2000
Feb 23, 2015

Cartoon Man posted:

Action Park’s most infamous water slide:

Here’s the best article on it:
http://mentalfloss.com/article/536412/action-park-water-park-oral-history

I can't say I knew much about Action Park, but the other day I watched the Johnny Knoxville movie Action Point, and after seeing that, it had to be inspired by Action Point. It's a terrible movie, but if you like to see Johnny Knoxville get injured repeatedly it's worth an hour and a half.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse

Der Kyhe posted:

The McD chat in obsolete tech reminded me of something; were the "special themed McDonald's restaurants" a global thing in the late 80's/90's/early 2000?

I remember seeing pictures of sit-down versions of McD in pictures although we did not get one, they came with table service and normal cutlery, plates and glasses and stuff, I think they also served pizza. I know these existed because one goon mentioned being in one, and the general concept was also mentioned in the book "Fast Food Nation" I read ages ago.

We, well Helsinki at least, had one 50's themed (think Pulp Fiction) and other sports themed (baseball and motorsports which sort of translates to pesäpallo and Formula 1 for Finnish consumers) McDonald's... Or were these just bastardized versions by the local franchise owners in the era when the oversight was not completely airtight?

There’s a 50s diner themed Hungry Jacks (Australian Burger King) in Adelaide. I think they might have all been vaguely 50s themed because I remember another one having a jukebox next to the self-serve Coke machine, but this particular one was over the top, full of memorabilia and such. It was a bit weird, to be honest.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Der Kyhe posted:

I think McCafe came from this in Australia, if nothing else.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

Der Kyhe posted:

I remember seeing a lot of variety in design back in the 90's when it came to McD's. One was even inside an old house.
Ah, here we go: https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/mcdonald-s-restaurant-1200

Thermos
Mar 29, 2019

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3SKMRExoVQ

This song will be forever entwined with the 90s for me. I had no idea who even sang it until recently. It occupies the same space in my brain as Blues Traveller and Barenaked Ladies.

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below

Thermos posted:

This song will be forever entwined with the 90s for me. I had no idea who even sang it until recently. It occupies the same space in my brain as Blues Traveller and Barenaked Ladies.

I heard this yesterday on the Sirius 90s channel, looked at the artist, and realized then that I never knew who sang the song until just then.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

Bloopsy posted:

I heard this yesterday on the Sirius 90s channel, looked at the artist, and realized then that I never knew who sang the song until just then.

I never knew the artist or the song title, but I could sing along to almost every word

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Thermos posted:

Man, you literally can't find the video with the bands heads on babies bodies anywhere unless its one that's purposefully bad.

Wasn't that Fastball song based on a super sad story about an elderly couple that drove off into the desert and died?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Thermos posted:

Holy poo poo until right now I thought this was a Blues Traveler song. I only know this song from the trailer for the Flipper movie starring Elijah Wood. It sounds a lot like Run Around.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ousaiByU1ko

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eBn1z7i2u4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBhm8kMVMVc

Jesus, the nostalgia

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

twistedmentat posted:

Man, you literally can't find the video with the bands heads on babies bodies anywhere unless its one that's purposefully bad.

Wasn't that Fastball song based on a super sad story about an elderly couple that drove off into the desert and died?

From wikipedia:

Fastball front man Tony Scalzo came up with the idea for the song after reading articles which described the June 1997 disappearance of an elderly married couple, Lela and Raymond Howard from Salado, Texas, who left home to attend the Pioneer Day festival at nearby Temple, Texas, despite Lela's Alzheimers and Raymond recently recovering from brain surgery. They were discovered two weeks later, dead, at the bottom of a ravine near Hot Springs, Arkansas, hundreds of miles off their intended route

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

wesleywillis posted:

From wikipedia:

Fastball front man Tony Scalzo came up with the idea for the song after reading articles which described the June 1997 disappearance of an elderly married couple, Lela and Raymond Howard from Salado, Texas, who left home to attend the Pioneer Day festival at nearby Temple, Texas, despite Lela's Alzheimers and Raymond recently recovering from brain surgery. They were discovered two weeks later, dead, at the bottom of a ravine near Hot Springs, Arkansas, hundreds of miles off their intended route

Yikes, that's depressing.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
But they managed to free themselves from, like, the society, man. They weren't shackled to systems, they weren't forced to live a shackled down life. They went out and lived man. They died knowing what the world actually was man. All natural. Not like us, the real prisoners man.

Have you seen that movie Fight Club? It's badass.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Creature posted:

There’s a 50s diner themed Hungry Jacks (Australian Burger King) in Adelaide. I think they might have all been vaguely 50s themed because I remember another one having a jukebox next to the self-serve Coke machine, but this particular one was over the top, full of memorabilia and such. It was a bit weird, to be honest.
They ALL used to be 50's themed to an extent.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Croccers posted:

They ALL used to be 50's themed to an extent.

A lot of the standalone ones still are. It's only the newer CBD ones that ditched that aesthetic.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

SomeJazzyRat posted:

But they managed to free themselves from, like, the society, man. They weren't shackled to systems, they weren't forced to live a shackled down life. They went out and lived man. They died knowing what the world actually was man. All natural. Not like us, the real prisoners man.

Have you seen that movie Fight Club? It's badass.

This belongs in the early 2000s thread when j finally make it

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Fight Club was ‘99, so it still fits. Though it really does feel like an early ‘00s kind of thing, but I chalk that up to Palahniuk’s edgelord writing style that really fit that era. I guess he was ahead of his time?

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Fight Club belongs to a sub genre of late 90’s movies where the main theme is about how safe, stable, and boring everyday life is. 1999 alone had Fight Club, The Matrix, American Beauty, and Office Space, to name a few. You pretty much stopped seeing it after 9/11 (the 90’s ended on 9/11 after all) and it feels pretty antiquated now, although I still like those films.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

KHLAV KALASHNIKOV posted:

Fight Club was ‘99, so it still fits. Though it really does feel like an early ‘00s kind of thing, but I chalk that up to Palahniuk’s edgelord writing style that really fit that era. I guess he was ahead of his time?

He was way past the 90s. So over Pottery Barn and Ikea and Starbucks. Boxers? Briefs? No, problem?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Hah hah American Beauty and that loving bag...

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013
The most Pretentious Literature Professor Writes Fiction About Banging His Students movie ever.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I'm 90% sure the bag scene is intentionally pretentious, to highlight that they're just dumb teens and to trap pretentious people into thinking it actually is beautiful.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Der Kyhe posted:

There's some great video of one of those places in the show 'Americana'. I saw this in the early 90s as a kid and thought it was so cool.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wF_DJXiPu10&t=2829s

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

ryonguy posted:

The most Pretentious Literature Professor Writes Fiction About Banging His Students movie ever.

A genre that still exists: https://www.theguardian.com/books/2015/feb/26/dancing-in-the-dark-fourth-volume-my-struggle-karl-ove-knausgaard

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

I'm reading volume 1 now, and while Proust he isn't (though only read volume 1 of isolt) it's well written, maybe a smidge pretentious, but haven't run into anything too egregious, though I can totally see being done with the literate dude writes about his life pretentiously genre. And I'm sure a lot could happen between volumes 1 & 4

A worse example is

which... again, well written, but midlife crisis white dude who has the problem of too many younger attractive ladies want to sleep with him while he finds out exactly how engaging it can be to live in another culture is super gross

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Yes, but Dave Eggers writes pretentious garbage.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Cartoon Man posted:

Hah hah American Beauty and that loving bag...

I still joke with my wife about that dumb scene.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I remember my parents dropped me at my grandparents because they didn't think I would like the movie since I was 9 or 10. When they picked me up I got a brief rundown of what it was about and thought yeah this is dumb.

Except I couldn't remember the name. So for years I thought that was American Pie.

Thermos
Mar 29, 2019

Election came out in the same year and is a much better "middle-aged white guy sabotages his life" movie. I'm sad it doesn't get nearly as much credit as American Beauty. The ending is loving great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYt6asKb5bw

I blame the weird movie poster for it.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Thermos posted:

I blame the weird movie poster for it.

One time at Hollywood video I discovered that I had a late fee from returning this movie late. The cashier was really cute, and I kept accidentally calling the movie "Erection" :negative:

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
This PSA from the mid to late 90's (although video says 2001) has stuck with me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMKNtc4RJHc

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Mad Hamish posted:

Yes, but Dave Eggers writes pretentious garbage.

be that as it may, even as someone with a high tolerance for that kind of thing (though I can't stand franzen) hologram was dreck.

to get back to the 90s though I impulsively picked up Pure Moods vol 2 on cassette from ebay. Never listened to it, but vol 1 slams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

Ambitious Spider posted:

be that as it may, even as someone with a high tolerance for that kind of thing (though I can't stand franzen) hologram was dreck.

to get back to the 90s though I impulsively picked up Pure Moods vol 2 on cassette from ebay. Never listened to it, but vol 1 slams.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rk_sAHh9s08