Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sperglord
Feb 6, 2016

Mortabis posted:

There's a reason CEOs often bargain for huge severance packages, because they know that if they miss earnings or anything goes bad there is an extremely good chance they will be fired. It is somewhat surprising to me that Muillenberg is still around.

I'm surprised he is still around too - I guess Boeing was delusional that 737 Max could be fixed fast. But given the latest news, the board 'ought' to be looking for new leadership.

The problem facing Boeing's board is that under Mullenberg, Boeing had become a cash generating machine and the stock price reflected that. Returning to a normal form of heavy-industry company might incur a massive stock price correction. Of course, the alternative is to sit on problems until you turn into GE, but nobody has ever accused corporate governance of being prudent.

One has to seriously question whether Boeing can make the Middle of the Market aircraft in a reasonable timeframe. Based on the 737 MAX experience, Boeing has probably lost economized on a lot of human capital.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Sperglord posted:

I'm surprised he is still around too - I guess Boeing was delusional that 737 Max could be fixed fast. But given the latest news, the board 'ought' to be looking for new leadership.

The problem facing Boeing's board is that under Mullenberg, Boeing had become a cash generating machine and the stock price reflected that. Returning to a normal form of heavy-industry company might incur a massive stock price correction. Of course, the alternative is to sit on problems until you turn into GE, but nobody has ever accused corporate governance of being prudent.

One has to seriously question whether Boeing can make the Middle of the Market aircraft in a reasonable timeframe. Based on the 737 MAX experience, Boeing has probably lost economized on a lot of human capital.

They'll fix the whole Max debacle by rushing a new narrowbody to the market with minimal testing and oversight.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Mortabis posted:

There's a reason CEOs often bargain for huge severance packages, because they know having oodles of money if they gently caress up is great, and they feel entitled to shitloads of money and know they can get away with it, even if they're a colossal fuckup and are responsible for the deaths of their employees or customers.

Fixed.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Are corporate executives a separate subspecies of human that possess the ability to psychically convince people to just fork over money in return for nothing? Is it an innate feature of the individual, or does a fairy godmother bestow it upon anyone who achieves the title? In any case, your claim doesn't conform to reality; lots of executives have been fined, gone to prison, lost their severance for misconduct, or--for that matter--done well and led their businesses to success.

I'll put it in familiar terms: lots of Navy captains are not very good at their jobs. Lots of them get away with stuff they shouldn't. But it is also absolutely true that they frequently get fired for things for which they are at worst tangentially at fault, because that's the responsibility that comes with command. Same goes for CEOs of public companies, and the difference is that when you get hired to run a big company you get to negotiate your pay and benefits rather than having it set in statute. (Although Navy captains who are fired get a pretty reasonable exit deal too).

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Mortabis posted:

Are corporate executives a separate subspecies of human

I can't rule that out.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Thing is, they don't need to be. Just meet the right assholes in business school and you can just fall upward for your whole life.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Mortabis posted:

Are corporate executives a separate subspecies of human

The human part is debatable.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

StandardVC10 posted:

Thing is, they don't need to be. Just meet the right assholes in business school and you can just fall upward for your whole life.

Until these hypothetical "P.J. and Squee"s decide to jettison you from their coattails as a scapegoat the first time they gently caress up in a big enough way that their family's name won't get them out of it.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Man the Flightradar24 app really shows that YVR is really a pretty smallish airport with the number of flights coming and going, after a certain time in the afternoon it all but shuts down.

It’s really fascinating watching the comings and goings of all the small regional stuff, helicopters and floatplanes too. One of the floatplane companies takes a direct route and the other one is decidedly more scenic. I wonder if it is because the takeoff/landing times are proscribed so they take off at the same time and then take different routes to space out the landings a little more.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
Plane crashed into a hanger outside of Dallas. 10 dead.

Plane invoked is a King Air 350.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Syrian Lannister posted:

Plane crashed into a hanger outside of Dallas. 10 dead.

Plane invoked is a King Air 350.

I live a mile or two from Addison Airport and just this month my dad and I were flying out of there for a weekend trip.

Reporting on this was kinda weird, for a long time today it was just "hangar fire" and then "plane crashed into hangar starting fire" and then eventually late this afternoon there was ten dead. RIP

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Mortabis posted:

Are corporate executives a separate subspecies of human that possess the ability to psychically convince people to just fork over money in return for nothing?

I'm pretty sure this was Jack Welch's whole deal

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Caught this today over central Washington

Grumman TBM Avenger?

Pepperoneedy
Apr 27, 2007

Rockin' it

TBM-3E, made by GM

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal
Can anyone share their thoughts on whether FR Gold is a worthy step up over Silver? It’s like 3x the price and I’m not sure what it would give me that I would use. Anyone have gold and if so is it worth it?

I’m tempted just because I use the app shitloads of times per day tbh but thought I’d see what goons thought too.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

monkeytennis posted:

Can anyone share their thoughts on whether FR Gold is a worthy step up over Silver? It’s like 3x the price and I’m not sure what it would give me that I would use. Anyone have gold and if so is it worth it?

I’m tempted just because I use the app shitloads of times per day tbh but thought I’d see what goons thought too.

I have the full Business membership but unless you're in the biz I can't see why you'd need all the extra weather stuff and fleet management things.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Is North Korea not closed airspace or
Is flightradar just off because a lot of Air Korea flights seem to go that way from east coast US.

Was pretty surprised to see flights right over Pyongyang.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

priznat posted:

Is flightradar just off because a lot of Air Korea flights seem to go that way from east coast US.

Kim Jong-un probably gets a case of brandy for every flight.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

meltie posted:

I have the full Business membership but unless you're in the biz I can't see why you'd need all the extra weather stuff and fleet management things.

Thanks for the info, that makes sense!

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgnkY4xzaZE

FOD city, bitch.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Half expected too see pax jumping off holding their carry-on bags clubbing people on the head.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

priznat posted:

I've only flown Korean Air twice (JFK - ICN and back) in late 2017, and both flights made a pretty significant detour around North Korea. The FAA prohibits US carriers from overflying the Pyongyang FIR, but apparently they're trying to be friendlier to overflight since 2018, per Reuters. Currently the US is the only country that prohibits overflight.

https://www.federalregister.gov/doc...tion-region-fir
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...s-idUSKCN1Q7002

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

https://secure.boeingimages.com/archive/Early-747-Concept-Model-2F3XC5O2B4O.html

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Jesus, another stowaway fell out of a wheel well on approach to Heathrow. Missed a sun bather with one meter, frozen solid apparently.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/jul/01/body-of-suspected-plane-stowaway-found-in-south-london-garden

Tragic, but hopefully a fairly quick loss of consciousness when climbing out.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Imagine filing that claim with your insurance.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Ola posted:

Jesus, another stowaway fell out of a wheel well on approach to Heathrow. Missed a sun bather with one meter, frozen solid apparently.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/jul/01/body-of-suspected-plane-stowaway-found-in-south-london-garden

Tragic, but hopefully a fairly quick loss of consciousness when climbing out.

Jesus, 8 hours at -40 and below in the flight levels, that’d turn just about anything into an ice block.

But yeah, assuming they weren’t crushed by the gear they would have passed out long before there was any pain.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
The article talks about blood all over the fences. Jesus christ.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

I think Patrick Smith talked about that sort of stowaway when miraculously, somebody did it and survived. His point that of 50 known attempts at landing gear stowaway over 65 or so years of postwar aviation, this guy is the first survivor

It's like teenage suicide: don't do it

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Some teenager made it to Hawaii a few years ago, I thought

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

Charles posted:

Some teenager made it to Hawaii a few years ago, I thought

The CNN article about him said (at the time in 2014) there had been 105 known attempts, and 25 survivors.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

ApathyGifted posted:

The CNN article about him said (at the time in 2014) there had been 105 known attempts, and 25 survivors.

Hmm, that's surprisingly good odds. It's probably biased low as well, because failed ones get found out but some successful ones possibly not. It would be interesting to see what the survivor have in common, if anything. Short duration, lower cruising altitude and higher temps at altitude must obviously be the important ones, perhaps some wheel wells are toastier than others. It's amazing what humans can survive, but pretty sad that people live in conditions where they're probably quite happy to take those odds.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

I thought that more than a few minutes above FL30 was sure hypoxia and death? Could some of those CNN numbers be from propeller planes or pressurized cargo holds?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Elviscat posted:

I thought that more than a few minutes above FL30 was sure hypoxia and death? Could some of those CNN numbers be from propeller planes or pressurized cargo holds?

Isn’t there a thing where really low temps allow your brain to go without oxygen for longer than normal? It could be total bullshit, but I recall something like that being found out with folks who had fallen through the ice of a frozen lake, been underwater “too long” but were revived and perfectly fine.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Elviscat posted:

Could some of those CNN numbers be from propeller planes or pressurized cargo holds?

I'm sure they must be. It's gotta be a lot easier to sneak yourself into the baggage compartment of a little turboprop that boards from the tarmac than to climb into the wheel well of a 747, too.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

It must include cargo holds. Everyone involved afterwards has an incentive to say it was the wheel well and not the cargo hold too.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_wheel-well_stowaway_flights

This might give more insight. I'm on my phone right now so it's a chore to scroll left and right along the columns.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

Solkanar512 posted:

Isn’t there a thing where really low temps allow your brain to go without oxygen for longer than normal? It could be total bullshit, but I recall something like that being found out with folks who had fallen through the ice of a frozen lake, been underwater “too long” but were revived and perfectly fine.

Doctors have a saying: You're not dead until you're warm and dead.

That being said, it's still measured in minutes. There was an experiment a year or so ago with a pig brain that they managed to briefly sort-of revive after 3 hours, but that isn't comparable really.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Charles posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_wheel-well_stowaway_flights

This might give more insight. I'm on my phone right now so it's a chore to scroll left and right along the columns.

The Delvonte Tisdale one here in Boston started off as someone thinking there was a killer because no one saw him fall in the middle of a suburban street and they just found chunks of him all over the place. They didn't conclusively prove he fell from a plane until 3 weeks later.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

There's probably a few that the person dropped into water when the gear comes down that never got discovered. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Captain Postal posted:

Doctors have a saying: You're not dead until you're warm and dead.

That being said, it's still measured in minutes. There was an experiment a year or so ago with a pig brain that they managed to briefly sort-of revive after 3 hours, but that isn't comparable really.

I know you aren't implying it, but just to be clear "revive" is not at all applicable, there were simply some neurons that didn't totally die yet which showed more life when given glucose.

That pig brain was still practically dead as gently caress.