Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011

Seltzer posted:

The best characters to play in lower levels are ones that are high tier but no one uses because they are boring/weird (jack shaheen akuma). You get the advantage of the player not having match up knowledge while also using a good character.

As a low-ranked Leo player this is very true. The character is so boring that even good players can't be bothered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
I'm convinced like 70% of the yellow/red/orange Yoshis get there been cause nobody knows how to fight them.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

not sure if i missed it during the discussion last page but what does magic 4 mean? assuming it's a certain character's broken right kick?

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
Usually a fast 11~ frame high kick that starts a combo on counter hit like katarina

poe meater fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Apr 14, 2019

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Artelier posted:

not sure if i missed it during the discussion last page but what does magic 4 mean? assuming it's a certain character's broken right kick?

A magic 4 is a quick startup 4 that combos on CH. Lots of characters have em. Kinda dumb terminology, but that's par for the course in Tekken.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
It's also important to note that a magic 4 is safe, so it's a good move to throw out in neutral if you're not sure what to do.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Man I'm psyched for next weekend, I can't wait for the tour to start again

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

inthesto posted:

It's also important to note that a magic 4 is safe, so it's a good move to throw out in neutral if you're not sure what to do.

Usually just barely (around -9). Some are not though, and some are i12, so make sure you know what kind of magic 4 your character has. They are highs, so watch out for people who like to duck.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
I picked up Kazumi as a replacement for my fundamentals beginner character to mess around with. She's way more fun and intuitive imo. Also the character design is cooler. The other good thing is you can wr2 and df1 your way to victory at the start. This game has too many characters to try out. I'm still maining negan, I have plans to make steve my main main again tho, but I'm also toying with the idea of maining eddy. It's weird I hate learning combos, it feels like homework to me, but I don't have much problem going into training with a new character while watching a ~10 minute vid and coming out with a decent enough gameplan to survive in greens. I figured that would be more frustrating and hard than combos but I'm just averse to learning them. It's the main thing stopping me from progressing further with certain characters- when I feel they aren't fun enough to learn the combos. Also coming from Negan to Eddy combos was an eye opener. Negans input window is wayyyyy more lenient than eddys.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The tour is starting today with The Mix Up and the bracket is so stacked that you're getting matches like Chikurin vs Knee in pools. This is awesome

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Our dojo event finished before the mixup, so for a brief time, our top 3 rule the twt leaderboard!

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Spuckuk posted:

Our dojo event finished before the mixup, so for a brief time, our top 3 rule the twt leaderboard!

our dojo event finished first, so actually we had the top 3 spots, heh

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

sharrrk posted:

our dojo event finished first, so actually we had the top 3 spots, heh

Goooooooons!

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Oh man that TWT event in France was awesome. Super Akouma's run was so cool. He played so aggressively that it was really fun too watch.

https://clips.twitch.tv/PlacidEnticingTapirRalpherZ

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Kazumi is real fun to play casually. Not that I ever try to flowchart but you can turn your brain a lot off more than with steve lets say. Also faking people out with tigers never gets old.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Holy poo poo, Julia must be the most infuriating Tekken 7 character to play against.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Jack Trades posted:

Holy poo poo, Julia must be the most infuriating Tekken 7 character to play against.

I've maintained the shes really op since shes come out. I think you would see her have a super high pick rate if she wasnt season 2 dlc. As it is she still has a high pickrate. In my ongoing character crisis I now have begun dabbling with miguel a little bit. I'm going to maintain kazumi and negan is my main mains but he seems fun as well. I don't know how top players can juggle so many characters though. Even going back from kazumi to negan and vice versa there are holes in my game that linger until I've played about 10 matches. You just forget certain moves/set ups for a bit til they come back to you.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Geese got nerfed but based on seeing chikurin play the other day it doesnt seem to matter. I've been trying marduk again, I suck in neutral with him, everything is slow. I'm getting wins but tbh I feel bad abusing his tackle.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Seltzer posted:

Geese got nerfed but based on seeing chikurin play the other day it doesnt seem to matter. I've been trying marduk again, I suck in neutral with him, everything is slow. I'm getting wins but tbh I feel bad abusing his tackle.

AFAIK the end sum of Geese nerfs is you can now maximize your damage with much more simple combos.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy
I have a colleague who wanted me to teach him Tekken with his only background in competitive games being as a serious business Smash player, and I forgot how much of an added layer of challenge there is to teaching someone who's never really used a joystick, can't hit diagonal directions consistently, doesn't know what basic Street Fighter inputs are, and struggles with hitting a direction + button simultaneously.

Like I can still talk to him in terms of parries, frames, low/mid/high, etc., so it's kinda weird having all that other poo poo be a little beyond him.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Brosnan posted:

I have a colleague who wanted me to teach him Tekken with his only background in competitive games being as a serious business Smash player, and I forgot how much of an added layer of challenge there is to teaching someone who's never really used a joystick, can't hit diagonal directions consistently, doesn't know what basic Street Fighter inputs are, and struggles with hitting a direction + button simultaneously.

Like I can still talk to him in terms of parries, frames, low/mid/high, etc., so it's kinda weird having all that other poo poo be a little beyond him.

You’d think hitting a direction and button together would be easy if you come from Smash

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010
I just picked up Tekken 7 to try and learn and, uh...

Is there a way to select or remove certain videos that play during the main menu? Or pick and choose my favorite one so I can just watch that for the few moments I'm in the menu?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Lei continues to be awesome and one of my favorite characters to play in any fighting game.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

thetoughestbean posted:

Youd think hitting a direction and button together would be easy if you come from Smash

Smash movement is analog-based, d-pad/stick motions, 8-way and all, is kinda a thing that's only a thing in traditional fighting games.

I'll be honest, I tried doing some of the Smash movement BS and it feels super weird to me as someone used to digital input.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Airspace posted:

I just picked up Tekken 7 to try and learn and, uh...

Is there a way to select or remove certain videos that play during the main menu? Or pick and choose my favorite one so I can just watch that for the few moments I'm in the menu?

What....? why? Your in the menu for like 1 second anyways so it doesn't really matter.

Jack Trades posted:

Lei continues to be awesome and one of my favorite characters to play in any fighting game.

Wish I had the patience.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Seltzer posted:

Wish I had the patience.

It took me several months of serious labwork and constant getting owned to finally get comfortable with Lei but MAN was it worth it.

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

lei is super cool but im just gonna pick steve forever

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

tekken is still "why not Bob?"

i dont have a good answer. So Bob it is!

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Dias posted:

Smash movement is analog-based

Yeah I didn't even think about this until I saw him trying to like, move/dash based on how far he was pushing the stick, or read the arrow inputs as various strengths of stick movement.

mfny
Aug 17, 2008
Bought the Ultimate bundle in the Days Of Play sale on PS4, need Tekken friends.
PSN: SyNx81

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Can anyone else just not settle on a character like me? I've been doing this thing for awhile now where Ill take a character and get them from teals to mid yellows then pick up a new one. I'll drop a character real quick if I dont like them but I've now done that with steve, marduk, kazumi and negan. Now I'm looking at Dragunov and Asuka. Idk I think its sorta normal cause its my first game and I'm really new to tekken but the character ADD is a bit annoying because I feel like it's stopping me from getting really deep with a character/learning better fundamentals.

The characters I've put legit time into online thus far are steve, marduk, kazumi, negan, geese, shaheen, eddy, lei, and miguel.

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Jul 1, 2019

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Seltzer posted:

Can anyone else just not settle on a character like me? I've been doing this thing for awhile now where Ill take a character and get them from teals to mid yellows then pick up a new one. I'll drop a character real quick if I dont like them but I've now done that with steve, marduk, kazumi and negan. Now I'm looking at Dragunov and Asuka. Idk I think its sorta normal cause its my first game and I'm really new to tekken but the character ADD is a bit annoying because I feel like it's stopping me from getting really deep with a character/learning better fundamentals.

The characters I've put legit time into online thus far are steve, marduk, kazumi, negan, geese, shaheen, eddy, lei, and miguel.
I mean, I'm the same way (although Gigas is my favorite) - but I don't think it's a problem? I mean, it is if your goal is "become number one tekken god ranking and take the game Very Seriously" but I'm like, whyyyy ruin the game for myself in the way I did Tekken Tag in arcades by tryna do that.

Anyway:
Apparently three new DLC items were added to Steam - what the hecky hell. The general consensus is we'll find out what this means at Evo. My guess is "hooray three new tshirts will be added who cares" buuuut seeing as they release characters 3 at a time, just let me hope for Wang/Ganryu/Zafina okay

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Also the best way to learn to fight characters in Tekken is to play as them and figure out what they do, so in a lot of ways it's really helpful to switch around a lot.

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010

Seltzer posted:

Can anyone else just not settle on a character like me?

I have the opposite problem. I just jumped back into Tekken after dropping it a few months after release because matchmaking was mind-blowingly slow. It still is, but the fighting is fun enough to live with the wait. Anyway, I played through Mortal Kombat 9-11 this year and figured if I could have fun trying a million new characters there, I'd get back into Tekken and try to do the same. Now I've played like 200 matches in 10 days (also, either I became twice as good at Tekken after leaving the game stuck at Warrior, or the rankings are way more spread out now) and almost all of them were with Ling Xiaoyu, which is the only character I feel like I have an answer to every situation with. My secondary characters are Jack and Panda, since every other smaller character seems really immobile compared to Xiaoyu, but I'm pretty bad with them and really need to find a new character to dive into.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Whalley posted:

I mean, I'm the same way (although Gigas is my favorite) - but I don't think it's a problem? I mean, it is if your goal is "become number one tekken god ranking and take the game Very Seriously" but I'm like, whyyyy ruin the game for myself in the way I did Tekken Tag in arcades by tryna do that.

I have fun when I'm learning and improving, switching characters a bunch slows that down. Also the deeper you get with a character you get the more creative you can be which imo is when tekken is at it's most fun.

Brosnan posted:

Also the best way to learn to fight characters in Tekken is to play as them and figure out what they do, so in a lot of ways it's really helpful to switch around a lot.

Yea its definitely helped me with that and in other ways as well. My general tekken sense has increased a lot and I'm able to feel out a lot of attack and defense instinctively with new chars because I've got a better grip on many of the universal systems. If being yellow rank knee is my t7 calling its not so bad since it's my first fg though I'd like to get real good with at least one char.

Skjorte posted:

I have the opposite problem. I just jumped back into Tekken after dropping it a few months after release because matchmaking was mind-blowingly slow. It still is, but the fighting is fun enough to live with the wait. Anyway, I played through Mortal Kombat 9-11 this year and figured if I could have fun trying a million new characters there, I'd get back into Tekken and try to do the same. Now I've played like 200 matches in 10 days (also, either I became twice as good at Tekken after leaving the game stuck at Warrior, or the rankings are way more spread out now) and almost all of them were with Ling Xiaoyu, which is the only character I feel like I have an answer to every situation with. My secondary characters are Jack and Panda, since every other smaller character seems really immobile compared to Xiaoyu, but I'm pretty bad with them and really need to find a new character to dive into.

A lot of small characters are mobile but I guess you mean evasive? (many small chars have really good side and back steps). Feng is really evasive and cool though not small.

I actually started playing Raven yesterday and she's really cool. Ticking a lot of boxes I like, low pick rate (I like using lesser used characters), evasive, very unique moves, good damage, good wall carry, and her combos are forgiving. You can really gently caress around with average to decent players entire gameplan and leave them guessing with just her basic stances alone.

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jul 3, 2019

neosloth
Sep 5, 2013

Professional Procrastinator

Seltzer posted:

I have fun when I'm learning and improving, switching characters a bunch slows that down. Also the deeper you get with a character you get the more creative you can be which imo is when tekken is at it's most fun.

I wouldn't worry about it too much because fundamentally most of the tekken characters are very similar and playing any character makes you better at using the generic tools most character share, which in turn makes it way easier to jump between characters. It takes a lot of time to find a character you like, I've been trying out different characters for almost two years before settling on kazuya, and I don't think I'd be able to pick him up if I didn't try all of the other characters first

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I used to jump a lot between a bunch of characters. Claudio, Kazumi, Geese and some others at first.
Until Lei came out. Now it's Lei party train all night all day.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

You'll definitely do better in the long run maining one character, but there's a lot to be learned in dabbling with others, for one you learn how to fight against them.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
I want to know why that guy needed to change the menu video

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

neosloth posted:

I wouldn't worry about it too much because fundamentally most of the tekken characters are very similar and playing any character makes you better at using the generic tools most character share, which in turn makes it way easier to jump between characters. It takes a lot of time to find a character you like, I've been trying out different characters for almost two years before settling on kazuya, and I don't think I'd be able to pick him up if I didn't try all of the other characters first
That's true. I barely ever use Paul, but playing with Josie, Katarina, and Shaheen (who I desperately hope gets a bigger moveset and becomes more versatile in the next Tekken game, I so want him to just be better) has made my Paul game much stronger.