Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Venuz Patrol posted:

are there any whodunnit movies in the past thirty years other than Clue?

depends on how you use the term, but yes quite a few

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

not trolled not crying
Jan 29, 2007

21st Century Awezome Man

Teenage Fansub posted:

I hope the CSI: KFC line is supposed to be poo poo, like Evans spouts terrible jokes the whole movie.

If anything, The Last Jedi showed us that Johnson sure knows how to write and direct comedic lines and scenes...

This looks really bad. Like Mortdecai levels of bad, but Johnson has the benefit of not having "burnt all the goodwill he ever had by the time the movie came out" Johnny Depp as the lead, and instead having an all-star cast of actors either looking bored and confused or hamming it up so hard.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Can't wait for the end credits on this one to reveal that a secret drug program was testing on soldiers in Afghanistan

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Saw the new Hobbes and Shaw trailer and I think they might have an issue with Idris Elba out cooling Statham and Johnson.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Venuz Patrol posted:

The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo springs to mind.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
The '90s was full of erotic thrillers that were whodunnits.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

The Usual Suspects
Memento
Seven
Shutter Island
LA Confidential
Mystic River
Primal Fear
The Prestige

A lot of mysteries, neo-noirs, and procedurals could be wrapped as whodunnits, though I suppose the term is supposed to imply more of a mystery chamber drama setting.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

And I guess Murder on the Orient Express is going unnamed

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

muscles like this! posted:

Saw the new Hobbes and Shaw trailer and I think they might have an issue with Idris Elba out cooling Statham and Johnson.

That movies looks so loving dumb, the final trailer spoils just about everything, has absolutely not a shred of realism, and I am SO loving HYPED ABOUT IT.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

muscles like this! posted:

Idris Elba out cools the entire category of: human males on this pale blue dot.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

If the sequel to Hobbs and Shaw isn't Hobbs and Shaw and (Idris Elba): The Search for Han, what a waste of just everything.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

The Name of the Rose
Sleepy Hollow
Gosford Park
Frailty
Basic Instinct
From Hell
Angels and Demons
Murder Mystery

stratofarius
May 17, 2019

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

And I guess Murder on the Orient Express is going unnamed

Hey, I'll stand by that movie, I loved it.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Feels like they're trying to remake Gosford Park, but funny.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
The trailer's shot, but I like Rian Johnson and the cast so I'm into it.

I'm not so sure about Daniel Craig loving around with some accent, but it worked with Logan Lucky so what do I know?

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Venuz Patrol posted:

I think they are more Noir-ish movies, but both Kiss Kiss Bang Bang and The Nice Guys are fantatic.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

Jedit posted:

I will. Looper is OK, but Brick was a mediocre Baby's First Noir Movie that got a lot of undeserved credit because Rian Johnson had the revolutionary idea of transplanting it to high school.

I enjoyed Brick for the sole reason of growing up near San Clemente. The movie itself is alright.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I'm not totally sold with Johnson, I like most of his work, but he's definitely been inconsistent. But man it's bizarre how people are coming up with nonsense criticisms of his work being toothless.

Like Looper is a movie I really didn't connect with, but it still shows off Johnson's skill at creating some pretty harrowing scenes that really pull from the desperation of his characters.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
I thought Looper was a Bad Movie.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

LesterGroans posted:

The trailer's shot, but I like Rian Johnson and the cast so I'm into it.

I'm not so sure about Daniel Craig loving around with some accent, but it worked with Logan Lucky so what do I know?

that movie was trash

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

bows1 posted:

that movie was trash

Nah.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

It's bottom-tier Soderbergh at the very least.

Ibexaz
Jul 23, 2013

The faces he makes while posting are inexcusable! When he writes a post his face is like a troll double checking bones to see if there's any meat left! When I post I look like a peacock softly kissing a rose! Didn't his parents provide him with a posting mirror to practice forums faces growing up?
Yeah I didn't like Logan Lucky at all. The heist itself wasn't all too interesting and that lady showing up in the one mobile clinic scene, disappearing for the rest of the film, to then only reappear again at the end (cuz of course Channing's gotta get the girl) was eye rolling. I'd rather just watch Oceans Eleven again

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Logan Lucky was great except for Seth MacFarlane playing British Jack Black.

You haven't seen enough bad Soderbergh.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jul 3, 2019

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Certainly but that’s still medium ok

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Venuz Patrol posted:

A Perfect Getaway

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Teenage Fansub posted:

Logan Lucky was great except for Seth MacFarlane playing British Jack Black.

I legit don't even remember Seth McFarlane in that movie. What I did remember is James Corden dragging it down by just being James Corden, Also Hillary Swank apparently being in a completely different movie?

Good use of John Denver, though. At least top 5 uses of John Denver that year.

Also the scene in Looper where the old man starts to lose body parts as they're getting hacked off his younger self is pretty hosed up and was great for it.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

GrandpaPants posted:

I legit don't even remember Seth McFarlane in that movie. What I did remember is James Corden dragging it down by just being James Corden, Also Hillary Swank apparently being in a completely different movie?

James Corden was in Logan Lucky?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Almost Blue posted:

James Corden was in Logan Lucky?

Oops, forgot which heist movie he was in (it was Ocean's 8).

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

GrandpaPants posted:

I legit don't even remember Seth McFarlane in that movie.

I hate him.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
He looks like a Mike Meyers character.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
I know everyone hates him because his shows and his being are terrible, but I'm glad he was born.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
Second John Delorean movie of the year also seems terrible

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRsSm8I6wRU

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Seth MacFarlane actually owns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzVprkrNlT8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UErPc5a4Tc

Also see: The Orville, which is better than it has any right to be, it's just great and if you have any love for Trek at all you should check it out!

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Didn’t he once force his entire production company to board a bus and go to a rented theater and sit and listen to him sing for like two hours on his birthday one year?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

The Cameo posted:

Didn’t he once force his entire production company to board a bus and go to a rented theater and sit and listen to him sing for like two hours on his birthday one year?

Jesus fuckin Christ.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Lock him up!

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The Cameo posted:

He's forced the whole world through this many times over. I'm sorry Seth, you have a nice voice but I loathe the lovely Sinatra showtune schtick.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

The Cameo posted:

No idea but I'd love to read that story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Hakkesshu posted:

He's forced the whole world through this many times over. I'm sorry Seth, you have a nice voice but I loathe the lovely Sinatra showtune schtick.

I love it and I hope he croons across the stars for six seasons and a movie on Fox.