Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

i don't have high expectations either but lol at a fan of Jacob's Ladder taking a horror film to task for jumpscares

I can't even remember a single jumpscare except maybe the stinger when whatshername is loving a bug

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Are there any other zombie movies that take place well after the initial spread like Day (and Land)? Like to the point scientists have them captive and are running experiments on them?

The Walking Dead need not apply.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
He made another one in 2009 which no one saw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rl_XZvC1CIQ

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

TheBizzness posted:

Are there any other zombie movies that take place well after the initial spread like Day (and Land)? Like to the point scientists have them captive and are running experiments on them?

The Resident Evil movies.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

The Peccadillo posted:

He made another one in 2009 which no one saw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rl_XZvC1CIQ

I saw it. It's one of the reasons of when I do a Romero Dead marathon, I end it with Land.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.
Don’t have time to make a big post about it now but I really liked Midsommar.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Midsommar was complete trash; at 2.5 hours it overstays its welcome and it's hardly even a horror film. The first hour of the film is just a terrible artsy drama with some downright hilarious comedy elements, then once you think shits starting to hit the fan.... it goes back into being an artsy drama. There's no big payoff either and the story is really weak. But for real, the comedy in the film is on point and my theater was laughing pretty hard for the first half off the film. After the halfway mark when the intentional comedy died off the whole place was so deflated you could feel it, until a couple scenes were the situations are so incredibly goofy and stupid you'll end up laughing at it.

If you like a lot of lovely CGI smudge tool use, and a metric ton of terrible establishing shots that aren't even that great check it out.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Sounds dope to me!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Null of Undefined posted:

I really liked Midsommar

s.i.r.e. posted:

Midsommar was complete trash

That's our horror thread!

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Trash horror is good and your friend.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

OK, thread - which movie in the Midsommar franchise is your favourite, and why?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Hollismason posted:

Trash horror is good and your friend.

There's good trash, and there's bad trash.

I'll wait a minute on Midsommar to figure out which one it is from one of the good posters and not the bad ones.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Jedit posted:

OK, thread - which movie in the Midsommar franchise is your favourite, and why?

Blood on Satan's Claw (1971, d.p. Dick Bush)

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

TheBizzness posted:

The Cured has some of this IIRC, and The Girl With All The Gifts

BrendianaJones
Aug 2, 2011

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Midsommar was great, wasn't expecting it to be such an upbeat movie, despite all the shocking violence

Also, the community didn't really seem all that bad. Sure, they get murdery every so often, but they seemed to genuinely support each other and want to be there for Dani

It was also a beautifully shot movie and I adored the soundtrack.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

FreudianSlippers posted:

Blood on Satan's Claw (1971, d.p. Dick Bush)

Partial credit but the correct answer is:

A Triple Feature of Witchfinder General, Blood on Satan's Claw, and The Wicker Man (1968-1975, various people but I just want to type "Dick Bush" again)

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I'm cool with reaction posts for Midsommar, but please post your write-ups or any in-depth conversation about it in the Midsommar thread

PONEYBOY
Jul 31, 2013

COOL CORN posted:

Partial credit but the correct answer is:

A Triple Feature of Witchfinder General, Blood on Satan's Claw, and The Wicker Man (1968-1975, various people but I just want to type "Dick Bush" again)

This is also a great watch list to whomever was asking about follow ups in re MR James btw

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

amenbrotep posted:

This is also a great watch list to whomever was asking about follow ups in re MR James btw

Haha that was me. I started watching The Stone Tape but after half an hour I just couldn't do it. I think it's a mix of the acting, production, and script, just... didn't grab me. Maybe I'll give it another try sometime, but I'm way more into folk horror than ghosty horror. At least Whistle and I'll Come to You had that "nature in Britain" feel with the seaside that was kind of folk-adjacent.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

COOL CORN posted:

Haha that was me. I started watching The Stone Tape but after half an hour I just couldn't do it. I think it's a mix of the acting, production, and script, just... didn't grab me. Maybe I'll give it another try sometime, but I'm way more into folk horror than ghosty horror. At least Whistle and I'll Come to You had that "nature in Britain" feel with the seaside that was kind of folk-adjacent.

The Stone Tape is definitely more of a slow build to a very very interesting finale but I can see how it's not for everybody.

Quatermass and the Pit, on the other hand, is for everybody. I can't imagine someone not loving Quatermass and the Pit.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Basebf555 posted:

The Stone Tape is definitely more of a slow build to a very very interesting finale but I can see how it's not for everybody.

Quatermass and the Pit, on the other hand, is for everybody. I can't imagine someone not loving Quatermass and the Pit.

I watched and enjoyed The Quatermass Xperiment during my Hammer binge, so I'm sure I'll check out the sequel eventually.

edit-- also I typed "Quartermass" for like 6 months before I caught the typo.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

COOL CORN posted:

I watched and enjoyed The Quatermass Xperiment during my Hammer binge, so I'm sure I'll check out the sequel eventually.

edit-- also I typed "Quartermass" for like 6 months before I caught the typo.

I didn't just type it, I actually thought his name was Quartermass(yes, even though they say his name a bunch of times in the films) and was saying it like that in my head for probably a few years before I finally brought it up to a cousin who is British and he said it the correct way, which was a pretty embarrassing moment.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Ah yes, Quartermass. My favorite character from Downtown Abbey :v:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

BrendianaJones posted:

Also, the community didn't really seem all that bad. Sure, they get murdery every so often, but they seemed to genuinely support each other and want to be there for Dani

Yeah, cults don't seem that bad, as long as they're supportive of some people and only murder certain other people! :psyduck:

BrendianaJones
Aug 2, 2011

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

s.i.r.e. posted:

Yeah, cults don't seem that bad, as long as they're supportive of some people and only murder certain other people! :psyduck:

As opposed to most movies like this where they would have been unambiguous villains, yeah. I also wouldn't find the ending at all positive in real life, but this is fiction, so...

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

You're mental.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
I am pretty much positive I will like Midsommar because I liked all the other recent divisive art horror like It Comes At Night and The Witch.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I just finished watching The Terror last night and, aside from wishing it were twice the length because I loved every moment, I really want more atmospheric period horror.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

COOL CORN posted:

I just finished watching The Terror last night and, aside from wishing it were twice the length because I loved every moment, I really want more atmospheric period horror.

I'm hoping this is basically what The Lighthouse is.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Pomp posted:

I can't even remember a single jumpscare except maybe the stinger when whatshername is loving a bug

Yeah Jacob's Ladder is like, the anti-jumpscare horror movie.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I'm hoping this is basically what The Lighthouse is.

That's EXACTLY what I hope The Lighthouse is.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

COOL CORN posted:

That's EXACTLY what I hope The Lighthouse is.

The instant I read about it, I was like "man I hope this is like The Terror". Barely any script or plot, just atmosphere.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I'm as hyped for the Lighthouse as I feel everyone else is for Midsommar. It's funny both Kristen Stewart and Robert Pattinson actually went on to become extremely talented performers, watch Personal Shopper and Good Time (respectively) if you don't believe that both of them are extremely talented.

I was excited for Midsommar at first because I thought Hereditary was decent but the marketing totally turned me off from it. What an abrasive marketing campaign.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Personal Shopper is really good, I was pretty skeptical of that one until I saw it. That, Thoroughbreds and Ingrid Goes West were a good little mini-fest.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Iron Crowned posted:

There's good trash, and there's bad trash.

I'll wait a minute on Midsommar to figure out which one it is from one of the good posters and not the bad ones.
In the video game A Night in the Woods, one of the characters draws a pizza scale in which basically all pizza from really bad pizza to fancy pizza are all good except a thin margin of pizza that is too fancy and a thin margin of pizza that is too bad.

I think you can just replace pizza with horror.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Happy RotLD day
https://twitter.com/chunk_widebody/status/1146526131631394817?s=21

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Welp, that's all the excuse I need for a rewatch!

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

Welp, that's all the excuse I need for a rewatch!

There's a commentary on the blu-ray, right? If so, I may give that a go.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Franchescanado posted:

There's a commentary on the blu-ray, right? If so, I may give that a go.

Two actually, one with cast and crew and the other with O'Bannon and the production designer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fliptophead
Oct 2, 2006
I'm halfway through watching Mom and Dad And Nicholas Cage is unhinged and awesome. Not sure about the second half but I'll finish it on my commute home this arvo. The basic premise is something is making parents snap and kill their kids (and only their kids). Darkly funny. Selma Blair is also awesome as the mom.