Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

hollylolly posted:

Just throwing this out there, but, what exactly has Castillo seen that would make him think there are demons or vampires involved in this pirate raid?

Weird !vampire compulsion powers from Thaddeus?

malbogio posted:

I'm trying to weigh what we know so far of the pirate-vampire's motivations. Is there any reason not to kill everyone they leave behind on the ship instead of taking as cattle/cannon-fodder? Aside from it being uncouth. I'm not sure manners are sufficient reason to let any reports of demons get out.

The pirate-captain seemed content to let everyone live in exchange for the muskets? So, they don't seem all that blood thirsty for now?

And what would !vampires want with muskets? The plot thickens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Muskets are always useful, although it's not a saying yet "power grows from the barrel of a gun" is still true. Presumably they want more power in some flavor or another and are going to take it via men with guns.

Also I think the nun and Inquistor both have to die, as cold as it sounds. Beleaguered, probably drunken, sailors ranting about how they were totally attacked by demons who totally did all sorts of impossible black magic is honestly just another Tuesday. Members of the church hierarchy going to the Inquisition with reports of 1) a missing witch and 2) verifiable accounts that they really were attacked by demons is a whole other thing. Taking them prisoner is pointless because we could never let them go, and also an Inquisitor and nun going missing could easily kick off a search and rescue mission, while their corpses being left in the aftermath of a pirate raid doesn't. Give them quick, clean deaths and do everything else in our power to make it look like a normal pirate raid so we get minimal church attention.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
+1 ing this plan

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

A

I don't believe these vampirates have expressed any fear or concern towards the church. They don't seem to view the inquisition or witnesses as threats.

So we may as well bring along any hostages that seem entertaining just to forestall boredom at sea. We can figure out what we're doing with them later. None are useless. Given the mind control on display we can expect our interrogation attempts to be very successful. Afterwards we can always just eat them.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

malbogio posted:

. . . vampirates . . .

:golfclap:

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
Jeanette should call him Thad if he gets fresh or rotten.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

vorebane posted:

Jeanette should call him Thad if he gets fresh or rotten.

Thad the "Impaler" :heysexy:

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

That Inquisitor has to die, the nun is clearly going to be trouble too. To be honest I don't see any way around it. There are feats of inhuman nature that took place here, and while nobody is going to immediately jump to "vampires!", they absolutely will, in this day and age, jump to "in league wyth that moste infernal and wycked serpent Satan the devyl hymself" and send word for reinforcements to hunt down such evil men.

Also "is the ginger fellow going to be alright? That was quite the blow he took to his... How do I say this decorously... His privies..."

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

hollylolly posted:

Just throwing this out there, but, what exactly has Castillo seen that would make him think there are demons or vampires involved in this pirate raid?

He's an inquisitor, everything is the devil. They could have been dressed as clowns and he'd still say 'witches and demons all'.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Hexenritter posted:

". . . in league wyth that moste infernal and wycked serpent Satan the devyl hymself" and send word for reinforcements to hunt down such evil men . . . how do I say this decorously . . . His privies . . ."

You're really gonna enjoy the heck out of this one, huh? :ocelot: :)

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

CourValant posted:

You're really gonna enjoy the heck out of this one, huh? :ocelot: :)

It combines the Golden Age of Sail, Vampire the Masquerade, and pirates, and there's a ginger Gangrel fighty boi who might as well be a Warhammer Fantasy Trollslayer. You drat right I'm going to enjoy this.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Hexenritter posted:

It combines the Golden Age of Sail, Vampire the Masquerade, and pirates, and there's a ginger Gangrel fighty boi who might as well be a Warhammer Fantasy Trollslayer. You drat right I'm going to enjoy this.

Cool.

Also, heaving bosoms. I sure hope there are some heaving bosoms on these storm tossed, tender is the heart, turbulent seas.

:pervert:

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

CourValant posted:

Cool.

Also, heaving bosoms. I sure hope there are some heaving bosoms on these storm tossed, tender is the heart, turbulent seas.

:pervert:

:quagmire:

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

I don’t think it’s possible to write a vampire story without at LEAST one heaving bosom and/or ripped bodice. We’ll see.

RIP Inquisitor Castillo and nameless nun, we barely knew you.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!
It is set on a pirate ship so I expect some heaving bosons overboard as well as heaving bosoms aboard.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Well I guess bosuns do contain plenty of bosons so you're still technically correct

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

quote:

Marco looked up in time to see the bosun go flying over the rail into the sea as the red bearded pirate shoved through toward him.
In fact, we’ve already heaved the bosun overboard!

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
We better have a Fabio look-alike somewhere.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

i'm a little late but I vote for kill everyone, be that broadsiding the disabled ship after pulling away, setting it alight as the ropes are cut, or something else.

killing the priest and nun is just trading "pirate satan vampires and i guarantee it cause im an inquisitor" for "the pirates killed all the clergy aboard after the ship surrendered, i saw it with my own eyes, here's a description of their ship and the key people involved"

thats still a juicy tale we don't need live men telling. make em dead

e: this is all said without knowing enough about these pirates' motivations or personal code; if they'd find the idea of murdering people who surrendered distasteful, then no don't start a mutiny among your own crew over what might be seen as needless brutality. but if they're the cold calculating Littlefinger sort, yeah nobody needs to be able to say what took place here. if they'd just given up their cargo without a fight nobody would have had to die. they made their choice and now they're living with (dying of) the consequences

ee: also, this is swashbuckling fiction: anyone who needs to survive the shipwreck for narrative purposes will

Cactus Ghost fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jul 3, 2019

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Scared waif grifting her way from ship to ship leaving nothing but a trail of bloated corpses and floating wreckage is a hell of a game plan.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

There’s been a lot of discussion and it seems we will DEFINITELY kill the priest and nun, but I think it’s a good point about the rest of the crew of the Esmeralda.

In my mind the pirates wanted the cargo and were satisfied with leaving everyone alive, but pressing the fight and refusing to surrender, plus Thaddeus deciding to remove the Inquisition’s prisoner has changed things.

:siren: So, new vote:
A. Scuttle the Esmeralda with all crew and Church officials on board, set fire to it, blow it up with cannons, whichever, allow Fate (and Plot) to decide the survivors, if any.
B. Methodically murder everyone on board to ensure no survivors, then scuttle the ship.
C. A, but take the Captain as prisoner because he kicked Jacob in the balls and we like his spirit
D. B, but we take the Captain prisoner
E. Leave the crew alive and ship intact but kill the church people

hollylolly fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jul 4, 2019

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

C. We systematically murder everybody aboard, steal everything else that isn't nailed down and has any kind of value, including the cannon if we have the displacement for them, and especially if they are of larger calibre than ours.

I think the actual big question here is

Do we take it as a prize rather than scuttle it?

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

A

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

hollylolly posted:

:siren: So, new vote:

Wow. That escalated quickly.

Vote: D. B, but we take the Captain prisoner.

Vote: E. Kill the church people, take the Captain, and leave everyone else alive.

Hexenritter posted:

Do we take it as a prize rather than scuttle it?

Is this an option? Do we have crew enough to commandeer the vessel? We building a Vampirate Fleet?

CourValant fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jul 4, 2019

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

C

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

I think I accidentally left off the “leave all the crew alive while killing the Church people” option - that is definitely still an option. Consider it E. I’ll edit it in.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Kill the church folk, take the captain prisoner and ask the rest if they've considered a new line of work. Anyone who declines gets left behind in a rowboat with sufficient supplies (for plot reasons).

Now our not kidnappers have two boats

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Changing from C to E

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Outrail posted:

Scared waif grifting her way from ship to ship leaving nothing but a trail of bloated corpses and floating wreckage is a hell of a game plan.

this isn't her making the decision

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

A

B risks even more of the pirate ship's manpower for no reason (unless the crew are all vampires and want to feed or something)
C & D both bring a man who has proven willing to fight on principle even if it's a bad idea, and who believes God is on his side, on board our ship, before murdering defenseless prisoners and clergy in front of him. that's a dangerous man to begin with but now we'd be bringing him in our home and killing all his friends in cold blood. he'll never be sympathetic after that. it's just as easy to send him to meet his God with everyone else.
E i said my piece about that already

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
A

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
This is turning into one of those plans...

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

OMGVBFLOL posted:

this isn't her making the decision

Doesn't mean we can't agitate the situation.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
I appreciate the reference to one of my favorite comics, but have we checked how many of our crew are wearing hats? We might actually be ok.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

I think I have enough input to do an update that will make everyone happy.

OR piss everyone off. ;)

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

hollylolly posted:

I think I have enough input to do an update that will make everyone happy.

OR piss everyone off. ;)

Oooooooo I like that teaser

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Jeanette knew she should be frightened, but she felt strong and in control in a way she had never felt before. She touched her fingers to her forehead, feeling a bit of stickiness where Thaddeus had pressed his thumb to her skin. What had he done to her?

The pirate captain, Erik, was talking. “Lock the priest into the brig -”

“There’s a nun, too,” added Thaddeus.

“...and the nun, too. Christ!” Erik frowned. “I want everything from this ship that isn’t nailed down put on the Sunrise. And if it’s nailed down and looks expensive, take that too.”

Thaddeus turned and courteously steered Jeanette toward the pirate vessel, which was being lashed to the Esmeralda and planks placed across for easier passage. “Come with me, Miss Vignes. We’ll get you safely aboard and then I have some things to take care of.”

She looked, wide-eyed, at the pirates who were dragging heavy crates up from the hold of the Spanish merchant ship. About a quarter of the men were black skinned, but they seemed to be treated the same as any other man in the crew. Her father, Lucien Vignes, had made his fortune trading in African slaves before she had been born, but had left that ugly business some ten years past.

Thaddeus noted where she was staring. “Piracy is a good place for former slaves. We are all equal, here.”

Then he laughed, “All of the crew are, anyway. Come now, watch your step on the plank.”

Jeanette hoisted her skirts with one hand and took his with the other, making her way with ease across the wobbly board to the deck of the pirate ship.

Once the Esmeralda had been thoroughly plundered, the Bloody Sunrise cast off from her. Captain Erik Odinson ordered the merchant to be sunk with their cannons, and so the crew set to work, round shot splintering the helpless ship at her waterline and taking down her mast.

Once he was certain the ship was doomed, Erik raised sail and headed across the dark sea, leaving the Spanish to drown on their unanswered prayers.

(...more to come, probably tomorrow)

Teaser: I rolled to see who on the ship lives or dies, (10 or less, death, 11 or more, life) and one character rolled a nat20. :D

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

hollylolly posted:

Teaser: I rolled to see who on the ship lives or dies, (10 or less, death, 11 or more, life) and one character rolled a nat20. :D

Probably the cook, holding onto the anchorline waiting for dark. :chef:

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

hollylolly posted:

. . . on the Sunrise.

Odd name for a Vampirate boat.

hollylolly posted:

. . . the Bloody Sunrise

:thunk:

hollylolly posted:

It's the nun. She's gonna to become an Inquisitor and hunt Jeannette down, as is appropriate for the setting.

Isn't 50/50 a bit generous for surviving in a sinking ship while being locked in the brig?

Also, whether you celebrate it or not, Happy Fourth!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

You wonder if the nat20 guy is going to be awesome beyond all belief. Or be eerily calm about the disaster.