Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Scruffpuff posted:

This is absolutely loving insane. You're literally deep-sixing a critical security feature in order to play a poo poo game whose developers are so inept that they can't work with a file system that literally every other company on the planet manages to work with effortlessly.

Turn off your antivirus and open all ports on your firewall are next.

Edit: Guess what the default OWNER is on Program Files directories. Give up? It's the TrustedInstaller security principal. The one literally put in place to work with software installation and maintenance routines.

loving wrong. You can even install programs with nothing more than User access, assuming whoever wrote the installation program knew how to write it. Admins can install to Program Files, Users can install to their own profile folders, and if ALL ELSE FAILS you can create a folder on the root of C: and put it there. Not a good practice but if you've got poo poo devs you can do it as a last resort.

If someone is a member of Administrators and still can't install to Program Files, it's because they're also a member of the Users group and you need to trigger escalation.

Never mind all that, let's just gently caress with the access control directly.

When Star Citizen comes out for Linux it will make you run as root.

I think you may be onto something with that last line. What if, what if, Star Citizen came packed with it's own custom linux? Just wipe your computer and boot fresh into StarOS, the OS that only plays Star Citizen.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

I'm lurking hundreds of pages behind in the thread with lust on my mind

Anything could happen

and derek called it

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

"Something's going on, and I haven't anybody reporting on it."

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Star Citizen: Yes, doors have been working since 2017, if not earlier.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Star Citizen: Yes, doors have been working since 2017, if not earlier.

Also Star Citizen, 2 months ago:
https://youtu.be/_e3EQlBf4lQ?t=341

:smuggo: Guess you need to spend more time playing the game, FUDsters :smuggo:

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Facebook Aunt posted:

I think you may be onto something with that last line. What if, what if, Star Citizen came packed with it's own custom linux? Just wipe your computer and boot fresh into StarOS, the OS that only plays Star Citizen.

:lol: This is the kind of idea that Crobbear would appreciate.
Do it like the old DOS days, with boot disks only dream bigger.
Yeah, why not boot into a special OS designed to play an online game with strangers and also make online purchases for it.

What could possibly go wrong?

Seriously, though. Thread interns, pitch this to Chris. Please.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Yeah doors are clearly working now, gently caress me, just do a 10 second google search you god drat idiots

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MITDGjYzGdc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDe2Gn_bxCI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlOFCPGwWDE

Citizens have lost the object permanence skills they developed as children. If they haven't seen it in 3 seconds, it probably doesn't exist!

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

no_recall posted:

Where's the product? Wheres the evidence of such productiveness?

rePool
Apr 18, 2019

Undercover Goon.

So long and thanks for all the fish

It is always fun to take a break from moving and reply to a dumbass gaming dork.

FUDsters are always so ignorant of truth and facts.

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
an ex employee of cig enters a restaurant.

“i want chicken, you know how i like it. all wings considered!“
“and gimme a vertical slice of that apple pie over there!“

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

rePool posted:

It is always fun to take a break from moving and reply to a dumbass gaming dork.

FUDsters are always so ignorant of truth and facts.

DOORS ARE NOT BROKEN. Don't carry things through them, though. Carrying things THROUGH doors... that's what's buggy.

DOORS ARE NOT BROKEN. Don't try going through them when landed on a planet, though. Going from a planet THROUGH a door... that's what's buggy.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

The worst part about this poo poo show is that I'm now finding space games in general to be pretty boring and Star Citizen can't even take credit for that.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Meridian posted:

The worst part about this poo poo show is that I'm now finding space games in general to be pretty boring and Star Citizen can't even take credit for that.

I'm p sure that's why they stopped making them the first time around

Congratulations, Chris, you've taken so long that the comeback of space games came and went without you

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Foo Diddley posted:

Congratulations, Chris, you've taken so long that the comeback of space games came and went without you

Right? That was my exact thought. I mean I still come back to X3 now and again, and I was really stoked on the new Rebel Galaxy game and then I watched some gameplay, and it's just not where I'm at right now. I mean I'm sure it'll be an awesome game but I don't give a poo poo, buy it when it's $5 like the OG Rebel Galaxy. The fact that I haven't looked at this thread in like six months and SC is still alive is hilarious though. You got it CIG!

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Viscous Soda posted:

So has anyone else here played The Magic Circle? It's a "walk, story, audio log" type game where you're in a stuck in development hell video game. After following SC for so long a lot of the content seemed kinda familiar.

Not a lot of content and a weak ending though, I paid :5Bux: for it, and that feels about right.

I played it for a bit. The concept was a lot more interesting than the end result, imo, but it had some ok parts.

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

Dementropy posted:

Tell him to subscribe here to get all the latest SC news and hot bears.

NumptyScrub
Aug 22, 2004

damn it I think the mirrors broken >˙.(

Foo Diddley posted:

Ah, but the beauty of it is that Chris was never aiming for this space game revival, SQ42 and the Star Citizen PU is actually planned for release during the next comeback of space games, sometime around 2030.

Truly a visionary!

also that should be enough time for people to forget that Elite:Dangerous basically beat them to every punch

Aydjile
Oct 13, 2013

Survive Adapt Improve

NumptyScrub posted:

also that should be enough time for people to forget that Elite:Dangerous basically beat them to every punch

numpty, give me back my legs! every punch my rear end.

Nyast
Nov 14, 2017

BLAZING AT THE
SPEED OF LIGHT

NumptyScrub posted:

Ah, but the beauty of it is that Chris was never aiming for this space game revival, SQ42 and the Star Citizen PU is actually planned for release during the next comeback of space games, sometime around 2030.

Truly a visionary!

I dunno why people keep saying that Chris is a visionary. If anything, he's the total opposite of a visionary. He has no idea where he's going and just wants to do "everything" and add every single new shiny feature and answer "yes" to every single question asking if "X" will be in the game.

To be a visionary you need a clear mental picture of the product you want to end up with ( which also includes: things that are clearly out of scope and that you don't want to do, aka. draw limits ) and have a plan to realize it. Chris has neither. He's like a politician that only cares about short-term re-election.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Nyast posted:

I dunno why people keep saying that Chris is a visionary. If anything, he's the total opposite of a visionary. He has no idea where he's going and just wants to do "everything" and add every single new shiny feature and answer "yes" to every single question asking if "X" will be in the game.

Well, here it started as a piss take for those very reasons.

Procedural birds.

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sarsapariller posted:

Yeah doors are clearly working now, gently caress me, just do a 10 second google search you god drat idiots

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MITDGjYzGdc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDe2Gn_bxCI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlOFCPGwWDE

Citizens have lost the object permanence skills they developed as children. If they haven't seen it in 3 seconds, it probably doesn't exist!

Stop the FUD, you FUDster! This is what doors do and it's perfectly normal!

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Sanya Juutilainen posted:

Stop the FUD, you FUDster! This is what doors do and it's perfectly normal!

STUCK IN THE BATHROOM OF THE VANGUARD WARDEN

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Expected result

There should be a way to open the door from the inside like in a 300 series bathroom

I'm glad they specified an in universe bathroom you can exit from instead of just "I should be able to leave rooms I have entered"

Edit:

Workaround
Kill yourself

Fil5000 fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Jul 4, 2019

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

or have a friend in your party some rescue you from the bathroom

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I can't wait for CitizenCon and CIG announcing that they are working on a white hole generator. Once that is done they can then create their own white hole, pull all the gameplay, content and server tech out of said white hole and finally release Star Citizen as it was meant to be.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

I mean, can you imagine that distress call? In a space game? Help guys, I'm stuck in the shitter.

Visionary Roberts is.

Jim DiGriz
Apr 28, 2008

Maybe there is no room for guys like us.
Grimey Drawer

Colostomy Bag posted:

I mean, can you imagine that distress call? In a space game? Help guys, I'm stuck in the shitter.

Visionary Roberts is.

Emergent gameplay, like the Fuel Rats in E:D. Except they need actual rats to climb through the plumbing with a breaching charge.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Colostomy Bag posted:

Visionary Roberts is.

in space no one can hear that you broke your door handle

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man
I've not heard much about Miles Eckhart recently. Time was, he was the poster boy for the Citizenry with his cool jacket, menacing demeanour and whiskey, but now I'm not even sure if he's still in the game.

Are there still queues of citizens lining up to get his missions?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

The only rats in this game are the ones on the CIG board of directors.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
New hover mode is :discourse:

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/c92bip/hover_mode_needs_a_little_work/

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

Dementropy posted:

:black101:

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDaf2KCN95k

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Some might even say that Sandi is the next logical goose step, really.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

I used to be a gamer like you, then I took a harpoon to my wallet.

Neltharak
Jun 7, 2013

I really want to make a starbase thread in games, i even found their version of captain B'tak. There are also citizen levels of theorycrafting. A guy wants to build an army of robots so he doesn't have to talk to people.

If the game comes out, it's a goon game if there ever was one.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Neltharak posted:

I really want to make a starbase thread in games, i even found their version of captain B'tak. There are also citizen levels of theorycrafting. A guy wants to build an army of robots so he doesn't have to talk to people.

If the game comes out, it's a goon game if there ever was one.

Make the thread

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Mr Fronts posted:

DOORS ARE NOT BROKEN. Don't carry things through them, though. Carrying things THROUGH doors... that's what's buggy.

DOORS ARE NOT BROKEN. Don't try going through them when landed on a planet, though. Going from a planet THROUGH a door... that's what's buggy.

Ah you see, I was using a definition of "not broken" that means "broken" so it is you that are the goony fudster and I am not wrong!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

I was talking about gaming PC builds with a guy I work with the other day. He started going on about how he was waiting for the ultimate crowdfunded MMO from a 90's video game legend to finally launch so he could build a PC worthy of it. I kept waiting for him to say Star Citizen, but it was Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen, and he doesn't have any money invested in it. I was severely disappointed.

I still haven't met a Citizen in real life, and I've only met three people who have even heard of Star Citizen at all. My search continues...