Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

This is my ridiculous cartoon car you all know and love

The fun stuff: 19 feet long, 5120lbs 8 cylinders, each one with 944ccs of displacement for a 7.5 liter or 460 cubic inch engine. 220 furious horsepower.

I've enjoyed this car for going on 5 years now, but the fuel economy suuuuuuuuucks, so i've decided to remedy that.

Meet the two lumps, Larry and Barry.

Two ford duratec 30 3.0 engines. all aluminum, DOHC, 24 valve 60 degree V6s. famously used in minivans, Tauruses, the Mondeo 220ST, Noble M400(with turbos), and Every V12 Aston for the last 20 years(bolted together a lot better than i will be doing)

It uses a remote water pump, with these 2 engines it's driven off the back of an exhaust cam, meaning not only do i not need a belt on the rear engine, but i can plumb the two cooling systems together and the only thing restricting how close they can get are the water inlets on the back of the front engine's heads. They're also under 20 inches and under 300lbs bare each which means they'll only be 6-10 inches longer than the 460 and i shouldn't have to cut anything. Combined they're also 3 inches narrower, 4 inches shorter, and over 100lbs lighter.

I got a lot more bits than i expected. a lot of junkyards pretty much just give you the long block, but i got engine mounts, remote oil filters that i should be able to shim/clock to meet my needs, exhaust manifolds, and full uncut engine harnesses.

Left to track down:
-Lincoln LS 5R55S transmission
-2 ECUs and someone who can code out Ford's passive anti-theft
-2 Jaguar S-type 3.0 upper intake manifolds
-2 dash harnesses from almost any vehicle
-coupler to tie them together
-tons of little fiddly bits

LSes and Jags often show up in pick-n-pulls, so the plan going forward is to build this all up on the super cheap while doing a little bit of other work on the car, and continuing to enjoy it. The goal is to hit the road next spring with a straight piped ~450-500hp V12 powered landyacht.

WITNESS ME, WINDBAGS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Ground floor
:perfect:

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Oh hell yes

E: that's 5.8 metres long and 2322kg for you metric folks

Dagen H fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jul 4, 2019

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

This poo poo is going to be amazing.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
Oh gently caress yes. This is a Proper sort of project.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
So glad that Pick N Pull is getting cheaper for engines. Talk about boosting the economy.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Holy gently caress. :stwoon:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

What really has me psyched is this.

This is a DB9 manifold.

These are $80 headers for the 3.0

This is DB9 without the mufflers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3L3Tu8SKQW0

I would expect the cam profile on the DB9 is different, although each of these engines makes 205hp and the early DB9s only made 450 with one set of accessories to drive, so they might not be that far off.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jul 4, 2019

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
godspeed you crazy man

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
I have not been this excited for a project thread in some time. Godspeed you glorious bastard.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3R7l7nDuj1o

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Shine on you crazy diamond.

A bit of me is torn as I sort of want to keep that thing stock, but making a frankenmotor is just too awesome.

A diesel swap in that thing must be too tame for you?

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
This is a mad scientist project and its amazing.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

The windbag delivers. :drat:

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I’m so drat excited for this.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Oh Hallelujah :stonklol::love:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Incredible, godspeed Captain!

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Real talk what kind of coupler setup are you thinking about?

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
You could use two megasquirts instead and use electronic throttle bodies with an electronic throttle pedal and add another sensor. I think that would simplify a lot of this mess.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

How are you planning to do fuel and ignition?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

This thread. When is stage two to add 4 turbos? Noble Land Yact M800. :hmmyes:

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

slidebite posted:

Diesel swap in an old land barge would be pretty amazing.

This is going to be an epic project, can't wait. Also curious about how you're coupling them together.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
LOLWUT this is gonna be awesome

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Beach Bum posted:

Real talk what kind of coupler setup are you thinking about?

I was initially thinking flex disk, but i don't know if i'll have the space between the engines for it, so i think i'll be using a jaw coupler with one side keyed to the crank on the rear engine and drilled to bolt onto the crank of the front.

I'm looking for aftermarket harmonic balancers that i could get machined and pressed onto the rear engine side of the jaw coupler.

A rigid coupler would be simpler, but i would worry about the engines transmitting vibration to eachother.

Wrar posted:

You could use two megasquirts instead and use electronic throttle bodies with an electronic throttle pedal and add another sensor. I think that would simplify a lot of this mess.

I was looking at that, both engines have electronic throttle bodies and COP and I could theoretically run both engines off one if i can get them clocked together right but the tuning seems like it might be a nightmare especially with 1-2 degrees of give in a soft coupler. I'm looking at ~$150 in ECUs and harnesses, although tuning will then be more expensive unless i can get the entire harness, ignition cylinder, and key.

That way i could also feel like a bad-rear end launching a missile, put the first key in and turn it, put the second key in and turn it, lift the safety flap and press the button.

The factory ECU will also control the 5R55

slidebite posted:

Shine on you crazy diamond.

A bit of me is torn as I sort of want to keep that thing stock, but making a frankenmotor is just too awesome.

Everything diesel is crazy expensive and crazy heavy. I was thinking of sticking my 7.3 in there but that would involve both of my vehicles being out of commission for a period. and another 2-300lbs on the front end.

I was also looking at electric stuff, but that's still a no go because of battery cost and temperature limits.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jul 4, 2019

Mr Fish
Nov 16, 2016
Speed and class, I am excite.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
How much grunt can one of those soft couplers take in their face?

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

I think they should be ok, typical applications in a driveshaft coupler would have them seeing higher torque due to the gearbox reduction, and they'll be ok for rotational speed as they'd have to be able to cope with whatever top speed would be in a high gear. Although you're not usually sitting at the max speed in top gear in a typical application.

It'll be fine likely.

If I'm understanding correctly and it's a guibo style coupling.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

https://www.amazon.com/Propshaft-Vibration-Damper-MERCEDES-2024111447/dp/B006DHQM9M

oooh, hello there, gorgeous.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Would a BMW guibo work? If so, I'll contribute one to the effort.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
:allears: this is gonna be good! Can't wait to hear it

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

meatpimp posted:

Would a BMW guibo work? If so, I'll contribute one to the effort.

That balancer is off of a W124 driveshaft, and simplifies things a whole bunch, a new flex disk is only $35 shipped from rockauto so i'm probably gonna build the coupler out of W124 bits.

Should be able to get a transmission output flange machined or sleeved to match the crank on the rear engine.

It's all designed for similar torque/speeds.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Speeds, yes, torque actually a lot more. Consider 250 lbft through a 4:1 first gear.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Strapped in and ready to party, sir.

djhaloeight
Jan 23, 2007

techno mafia.
Holy hell! :f5: :f5: :f5: :f5: :f5: :f5: :f5: :f5:

djhaloeight
Jan 23, 2007

techno mafia.

NitroSpazzz posted:

Diesel swap in an old land barge would be pretty amazing.

Check out Cleetus Mcfarland's Cummins swapped 1965 Ford Galaxie for just that, plus nitrous. He just raced Finnegan's original Roadkill Cummins swapped Ramptruck the other day.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
I'm absolutely not an engineer, but I think you'll want the engines solid-mounted to each other (but not the chassis, obvs) to avoid strain on whatever coupling you use.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Dagen H posted:

I'm absolutely not an engineer, but I think you'll want the engines solid-mounted to each other (but not the chassis, obvs) to avoid strain on whatever coupling you use.

Yeah, that's the plan, but there isn't a whole lot up top to tie the two together, which is one of the reasons i want a flex coupling. I don't want the stress of holding them straight to be put on the crankshafts.

I'll have a little better idea of what i can do to secure them once i get them cleaned up a little and get rid of the poo poo i don't need.

I might be able to put a heavy metal plate under the motor mounts against the block on the front engine and bolt them into where the A/C compressor would mount on the rear, then find somewhere up top to tie together to box it in.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jul 5, 2019

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

This is insane. I love it.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Powershift posted:

Yeah, that's the plan, but there isn't a whole lot up top to tie the two together

6mm, 6-cylinder intake spacer x2

E: yeah, no

Dagen H fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jul 5, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

This is the sort of project that puts the I in AI. Glorious.

It's not quite the Gigahorse, but it's about as close as we're gonna get this side of the apocalypse.