Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

i too want to smoke a fat joint with my pokemon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Tbf, Hau is a lot better in USUM. He’s likable in SM because he’s chill and loves food (extremely same), but he really brings the thunder in the second games. also he has the best champion theme

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

:same:

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
Is there any way to get my physical ultra moon cart to let me download it digitally without the cart? Realizing it was not ideal to save a dollar or two given that it means I have to always have the cartridge.

E : as far as I can tell there isn’t but thought I’d try a hail mary

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

tildes posted:

Is there any way to get my physical ultra moon cart to let me download it digitally without the cart? Realizing it was not ideal to save a dollar or two given that it means I have to always have the cartridge.

E : as far as I can tell there isn’t but thought I’d try a hail mary

Do you have homebrew set up? Then it's trivial to convert to digital and slightly less trivial to transfer the save.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The dub of Mewtwo Strikes Back Evolution sticking closer to the original script is a welcome bit of news.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
The towns in Sun and Moon just felt really empty to me and lacking in character. Even towns in B/W and X/Y felt bigger and more populated than the main city on the first island in S/M. It just felt empty and like you and the named NPCs are the only people living on these islands. Very lonely.

There is also a lot of stuff that is very unpolished or obviously cut for time, like the Fairy type trial and the rushed/samesy trials in general. It felt like the whole thing was rushed for the set-in-stone release date and could have really done with another six months of work.

Meanwhile, I think I'm the only person who liked X/Y a whole lot because it had Skidoo and I spent all my time in Pokemon Amie and doing Wonder Trades.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Pokemon designs in Sun/Moon are top notch though. With the exception of Trumpgoose and a couple others, I love almost all of them, even Bruxish. All the starter lines are great. Litten is my least favourite but he's still fantastic and Incineroar is great. The Ultra Beasts are on fire 90% of the time (the other 10% is Guzzlord). Toucannon is a great First Bird, Pyukumuku and Mimikyu are S tier friends, Lurantis, Shiinotic and Ribombee are fantastic. My only complaints are "someone at Game Freak REALLY wants a hot dominatrix Pokemon to stomp on their balls and call them a pervert" because of the holy trinity of Tsareena, Pheromosa and Salazzle, but they're still good designs and good party members so long as the rest of your team isn't Gardevoir, Mega Lopunny and Miltank. The great Pokemon friends I can find were what saved the generation for me.

Oh Zeroara is dumb though

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I kinda like the towns in Alola. It's cool how a lot of the towns have homes for the important NPCs. Most of them have like a trial captain's house or the place where they work when not giving out trials, you can speak to them after you've beaten a trial or talk their family and stuff. It helps the characters feel like people that live in the world and not just obstacles you need to beat to progress, which is pretty neat.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Coincidentally, I just got up to Nimbasa in Black and it's a really weird feeling city, the way it's a huge area for a pokemon city, depicted as a huge city, and they didn't really bother to put housing in it at all, it's more like a theme park in the middle of nowhere than a city. I know Pokemon never really does proper sizing or housing, but they've been much better in BW up to this point and it really stands out that there's no pretense of 'city' for Nimbasa.

I know in Black 2 the Route 4 desert between the two is partly replaced by a lower-scale built up area, and it feels like that'd really make Nimbassa and Castelia click, depicting the two as really two centres of a single joined up urban area with Route 4 as general suburbs.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Jul 5, 2019

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I didn't care about Zeraora at first but his movie was really good so now I like him.

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

Last night I had a dream about Pokémon Home. You could transfer monsters to unlock stickers and then put them in pictures of ancient Greek ruins.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Pentaro posted:

Last night I had a dream about Pokémon Home. You could transfer monsters to unlock stickers and then put them in pictures of ancient Greek ruins.

You weren't dreaming, that was the new Nintendo Direct

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I really liked X and Y.

Anywho, don't get too patriotic on July 4th, drink too much, then try to post about Pokemon. You wake up the next day wondering what was so important you had to post right then.

ashrum3
Feb 16, 2019
give me old school charzarid and day

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Nodosaur posted:

The dub of Mewtwo Strikes Back Evolution sticking closer to the original script is a welcome bit of news.

The sub for Mewtwo Strikes Back Evolution was also pretty much a good translation of the original, with dub names and a couple of the iconic dub lines (circumstances of birth and all), and apparently they are thinking of doing this more.

I really like the possibility of getting official subbed Pokemon.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXKzB5h13PY

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

The sub for Mewtwo Strikes Back Evolution was also pretty much a good translation of the original, with dub names and a couple of the iconic dub lines (circumstances of birth and all), and apparently they are thinking of doing this more.

I really like the possibility of getting official subbed Pokemon.

That depends on if it's actually a sub-sub, or did Japan just take the work the dub did and transplant the closed captioning in for this particular showing? That's what I assumed it was when I left my comment, at least.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

I didn't care about Zeraora at first but his movie was really good so now I like him.

i thought this was the demon illusion fox and i was going to say it’s cool but it’s the demon electric weasel which is also cool

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

they’re adding armor mewtwo to pokémon go

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I love alola

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
X/Y honestly felt more a trailer of things than a memorable game. It didn't help that OR/AS came out so quickly as well.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
Unskippable cutscenes stink. I think you should be able to skip them after you’ve watched them once, but the pacing of Sun/Moon was abominable.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

thrilla in vanilla posted:

Unskippable cutscenes stink. I think you should be able to skip them after you’ve watched them once, but the pacing of Sun/Moon was abominable.
I see people say things like this and have to conclude that we have very different definitions of good pacing

I already know that a lot of people come to the series for very different reasons so I guess it shouldn't be a surprise, really.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Yeah I just played through USUM again this past week and the cutscenes were awful. It's mostly the fact that all the emoting going on takes up way more time than it feels like it should. So if you're mashing through the cutscenes (especially if what you really care about is getting to the post game) it feels like it drags on forever.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

oddium posted:

i thought this was the demon illusion fox and i was going to say it’s cool but it’s the demon electric weasel which is also cool
Through this post I learned that Zoroak has a movie and that Zoroark is in fact a Diamond/Pearl Pokemon. I would've bet money that it was a Black/White Pokemon and I don't know why I thought this.

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe
it is a black/white pokemon

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I love SM, but the cutscenes do definitely hurt it; It just makes the game far slower than it should be. I think it's fine on a first playthrough, but skipping cutscenes should have definitely been added in USUM at least, and I can't say I'll ever get the urge to replay the game without some cutscene skipping option added in emulation.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Red Metal posted:

it is a black/white pokemon
Thanks! It is good to know I'm not crazy. My research amounted to me seeing Dawn and Piplup on the movie cover and assuming I must've been wrong. I forgot they get weird with release dates and previews sometimes.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Through this post I learned that Zoroak has a movie and that Zoroark is in fact a Diamond/Pearl Pokemon. I would've bet money that it was a Black/White Pokemon and I don't know why I thought this.

It and its prevo were the only BW pokemon known for the longest time and they even made it an exclusive event mon in an attempt to recapture the lightning in a bottle that was Lucario

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Making it an event ‘mon that no one could get is what killed any chance of it getting that Lucario-esque popularity.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Vandar posted:

Making it an event ‘mon that no one could get is what killed any chance of it getting that Lucario-esque popularity.

That and pvp changes murdering its gimmick at minute 0.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

That and giving it a high special attack with a primarily physical moveset
it can't even learn dark pulse from TM, it has to be an egg move/move tutor :psyduck:

it's a shame, I love it's design, but mmmm they did it dirty in a lot of ways

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Lets not also forget Night Daze, which would have been a good alternative to Dark Pulse if it had not been its signature move, thus giving Zoroark away in the middle of battle.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

What pvp changes were those?

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

qnqnx posted:

Lets not also forget Night Daze, which would have been a good alternative to Dark Pulse if it had not been its signature move, thus giving Zoroark away in the middle of battle.

Could disguise it as Lunala nowadays. That lets it resist both of Lunala's quad weaknesses, which are also Lunala's only two weaknesses.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

galagazombie posted:

What pvp changes were those?

Team preview. Before gen 5 you didn't know what pokemon your opponent had until you saw them throw it out. Knowing that someone has a Zoroark kind of ruins the main point of Zoroark.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Blaziken386 posted:

it can't even learn dark pulse from TM, it has to be an egg move/move tutor :psyduck:

It can learn it by TM in gen VI and VII, just not in gen V because DP wasn't a TM anyway in that gen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

At least Zoroark's ability can break the A.I over its knees. In Gen 5 it's extremely effective against Caitlin and it even works against Ultra Necrozma.