Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?
How has no one mentioned that you find groups of KKK guys hanging out outside towns and you just get to murder all of them to your heart’s content? Especially since you get to start the fight out with some dynamite every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Ugato posted:

How has no one mentioned that you find groups of KKK guys hanging out outside towns and you just get to murder all of them to your heart’s content? Especially since you get to start the fight out with some dynamite every time.

Won't someone think of the literal lynch-mob murdering racists.

But seriously I felt kind of uneasy about it but at the same time, the KKK, especially at this time, are literal murderers.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

You even gain honor for it!

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?
One of the groups I ran across was lifting a huge cross into place to burn. I threw dynamite into the middle of the group and the cross fell over and crushed the guys trying to lift it.

They’re even pathetic fighters and are pretty poor to boot.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Ugato posted:

I've played this game for so loving long and I've still never once ran into any of the KKK random events

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?
Do you usually follow the road/let auto-travel handle going different places? I spent a lot of time just rhythmically tapping my horse gallops in straight lines. Even so I ran across like 4 in total I think

All the encounters were a decent bit away from towns, too. So if you did a lot of fast travel that might also be why

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
You have to travel at night to run into them.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Does Arthur actually need sleep or is it just a quick way to restore bars and pass time?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Timeless Appeal posted:

Yeah I think that’s why I’ve never seen them. My cowboy role playing involves finding a place to camp after sundown.

Speaking of games that involve murdering klansmen, I’ve always thought mafia 3 was slightly underrated (but only just, because it is very repetitive)

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

Frog Act posted:

Does Arthur actually need sleep or is it just a quick way to restore bars and pass time?

I think he can stay awake indefinitely as long as you keep your health & stamina meters in a good zone.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I think there's a KKK random encounter where if you let them go on with their little get together, one of them lights themselves on fire when trying to ignite the cross. That or it was me throwing a fire bottle. Can't quite remember.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I also can’t seem to stop myself from cowboy role playing and making camp at night along with lots of other things that aren’t like, strictly qualitatively necessary, but feel like the right thing for Arthur at the moment, like getting a hotel room for a night or buying only fine oatcakes for his horse

Honestly I’m just completely blown away by the detail and I think that’s what compels me to do little things like that. It creates the feeling of actually being in a reasonable simulation of the turn of the century west so effectively I feel like it has meaningful implications for getting lay people engaged with history. Like a more thoughtful version of something with this much deliberate world building, down to the like endangered bird species and period appropriate slang, could genuinely teach people a lot about pretty much any important subject

Also I couldn’t believe it when the gun customization sub menus just kept proliferating, my varmint rifle is very distinctive now and I like that a lot.

Dick Jones posted:

I think he can stay awake indefinitely as long as you keep your health & stamina meters in a good zone.

Cool that’s what I figured, but tbh it feels wrong to never pitch camp or maybe get a room once in a blue moon. The combined effect of all the other immersive touches makes camping to craft some stuff a nice useful thing and a little role play element

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Ainsley McTree posted:

Yeah I think that’s why I’ve never seen them. My cowboy role playing involves finding a place to camp after sundown.

Speaking of games that involve murdering klansmen, I’ve always thought mafia 3 was slightly underrated (but only just, because it is very repetitive)

Mafia 3 is a 10/10 plot buried in a 4/10 videogame, a real shame

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

its all nice on rice posted:

I think there's a KKK random encounter where if you let them go on with their little get together, one of them lights themselves on fire when trying to ignite the cross. That or it was me throwing a fire bottle. Can't quite remember.

Yeah, there's one where some Klansmen get set on fire and another where a cross flattens one of them if you don't do anything. When the game was first out I remember reading a thinkpiece about how the Klan is depicted in an unserious manner, which (the piece argued) has the effect of minimising the actual damage they did for people unfamiliar with the history.

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

In RDO, is there a way to save an NPC hat I find on the ground to my inventory? Or has Rockstar patched that out?

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo

Timeless Appeal posted:

I ran into the cross scene during the day, leaving the second camp to do some hunting

Other than that, though, yeah, mine were all corpsed in the dead of night

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

its all nice on rice posted:

Life imitates art: https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/moment-white-supremacist-engulfed-flames-17479751.amp

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

So I read some things are time locked, like, I got a “home robbery tip” from a random encounter on the side of the road, and google suggests that some of those have a time window after which they become unavailable, how short is that window? Also the mission where you get drunk with Lenny is genuinely well done, I loled when greet turned to “gret”

Runaway Legs
Oct 11, 2012

Not a hat
Fun Shoe
Not quite sure about the robberies, but if you want to be safe, make sure you do side missions (the white markers) before main missions (yellow). And if you see white missions in camp, jump on them because they're time sensitive. Some only appear at certain time during the day or night, and most of them won't carry over to the next chapter.

Some of the main missions from late in chapter 3 and forward can spiral out of control and force your hand to move on, even if they appear innocent. So make sure you've cleared out anything you're not happy leaving behind before approaching them.

Also, don't ignore stuff because it seems to good/evil for your character. This isn't like most RPGs where it's a binary choice between black or white hat. There's lots of gray areas. Most things adds interesting flavour to the plot, world or characters.
And some are just funny and goofy and weird.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

The white missions in camp are this game’s version of “nico, cousin, lets go bowling” except worthwhile

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Also don’t assume that a main (yellow) mission in camp will be innocent and simple just because it’s someone like Abigail or Susan. This game likes to have you walk up the mission giver only to have them tell you “Dutch was looking for you,” and then next thing you know you’re on an irreversible trip across the map to rob a bank or something.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Cool thanks, I accidentally missed a hunting mission doing the robbery, so I guess you basically can’t do them all your first time through?

I’m really loving this game, I saw more complaints in general than praise for it in many places, but I haven’t played anything quite like this before and it’s incredibly impressive

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

A great place to rack up dishonor in RDO: the coal mine. I went on a two-day ladder massacre without dying and when I finally got bored of piling up mutilated lawmen I was able to sneak out and evade the red aura of justice. I got a hefty dollar bounty but I'll be damned if I hand over a fleck of my precious gold to Old Man Jones.

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice
My dad sent me a text in the middle of the night yesterday to complain about what a bitch Flaco Hernandez and his crew is and it's still the most :3: thing ever

Play video games with your dads, people

Runaway Legs
Oct 11, 2012

Not a hat
Fun Shoe

someone on Reddit posted:

Sure, I know there a bunch of dumb "12 year olds" as we like to call them. But they must be outnumbered by the dads. This is such a dad game and nothing makes me smile quite like overhearing someone talking to their kid over the comms. You're busy hunting and fishing and plucking bird feathers and then you hear a small child say "I'm tired" and then a man's voice "Ok honey. Why don't you go and get your pillow and your teddy bear and I'll be in to tuck you into bed in one minute" and you can't help but smile as you imagine a real family on the other end

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

NiceGuy posted:

My dad sent me a text in the middle of the night yesterday to complain about what a bitch Flaco Hernandez and his crew is and it's still the most :3: thing ever

Play video games with your dads, people

I love that going after Flaco is probably the only part of the game where antagonizing people actually avoids a fight.

Hirsute
May 4, 2007
I absolutely love this game and I think it'll end up being my all-time favorite but there is one thing that annoys me an inordinate amount because it just feels so lazy - the voice actor for Jack Marston is so obviously a woman doing a boy's voice, and it just takes me out of the moment every time I hear it. I know it's pretty common to have adult women do voice acting for boy characters, but for some reason this actor just sounds like an adult trying and failing to sound like a kid and it's real bad.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I really do respect at how consistent Rockstar is with their inconsistency.

Want to know how to aim and shoot? It's right there in the help. Want to know how to block and throw punches? Nah, gently caress that. Just some dumb vague thing about how you can throw punches in a game with combat. Want to know how to do all that complicated bullshit with your horse, though? We got you covered.

Tell you about some things but not others. Their incompetence at basic poo poo like the tutorial (Help) menu is truly something to behold. They're probably the worst developer in the industry at making actual games but somehow still manage to make something good. I don't blame the average employee, it was pretty much stated that those in management positions are utterly incompetent and worthless.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

There was an explicit tutorial with button prompts and everything for learning how to block, punch, and tackle though. I can’t think of anything that hasn’t been tutorialized except fishing which is still inexplicably locked for me

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?
I remember reading an article where they talked about this, but how in online are people do that jump/dive thing? (PS4 if the button description matters)

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I don’t know whether it’s the game’s fault or mine, but I got all the way to chapter 6 before realizing you could hold down the block button and just dodge forever instead of trying to actually time it. Really makes things easier

Runaway Legs
Oct 11, 2012

Not a hat
Fun Shoe
Fishing is locked behind a mission in chapter two.
And the dive thing is jump(square) while aiming, iirc

My mainest of main gripes is the menus. Why is save, load and exit game located under "Story"?

Edit for clarity

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Ainsley McTree posted:

I don’t know whether it’s the game’s fault or mine, but I got all the way to chapter 6 before realizing you could hold down the block button and just dodge forever instead of trying to actually time it. Really makes things easier

Oh man that’s nice to know, I’ve been trying to time my blocks

Anyway is online playable without spending any extra cash? I’m loving this game so much I think I’ll want more in eighty or so hours but I also despise rockstar’s monetization of GTAV intensely, and will never, ever give them one red cent for currency or outfits or whatever

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Frog Act posted:

Anyway is online playable without spending any extra cash? I’m loving this game so much I think I’ll want more in eighty or so hours but I also despise rockstar’s monetization of GTAV intensely, and will never, ever give them one red cent for currency or outfits or whatever

It hasn't quite yet reached the stupidity of GTA5 but I've no doubt it'll get there

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch

Comfortador posted:

I remember reading an article where they talked about this, but how in online are people do that jump/dive thing? (PS4 if the button description matters)

Aim and square. The camera snaps to you though, so it'll break the auto aim.

Frog Act posted:

Eh, you really just need enough for ammo. If you are on PS, there is a free War Horse that is pretty decent. That's it really - you will want to upgrade your cards I guess, but I have only the basic passive ones, and I never use my active one and I do fine in showdowns and such.

Agent Burt Macklin fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jul 9, 2019

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch
Double post

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost

Frog Act posted:

I've got tons of outfits, gold and cash and all I've really done is hunt and play some posse missions....

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Awesome that sounds much more palatable than GTAV’s aggressive monetization tactics. I guess I should get a headset for my PS4, I haven’t even checked to see if the little earbuds that came with it have a mic but I assume they do not

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

I've been doing 3 or less daily challenges in Online and I have more gold than I know what to do with.

I mean, once I got a poncho what is the rest for really?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheTrend
Feb 4, 2005
I have a descriminating toe

Another Bill posted:

I've been doing 3 or less daily challenges in Online and I have more gold than I know what to do with.

I mean, once I got a poncho what is the rest for really?

bandoleers