Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Does Kawhi stay?
This poll is closed.
He stay 95 32.20%
He leave 99 33.56%
ask Uncle Dennis 57 19.32%
burn down Toronto if he doesn't 44 14.92%
Total: 295 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy

Lockback posted:

Cap increases have affected this too. Kawhi gave up like $80 million vs getting a super-max from the Spurs, but the marginal value of this money is far less than it was when the cap was only 50-60 million. You can justify taking a 20%+ pay cut to play where you want when you are still making 100s of millions. Players just weren't willing to do that nearly as much before.

I don't know a good solution for this either. In the old days the market was able to regulate itself a lot better. Maybe this doesn't need to be "fixed". I mean, the big FA winners this offseason were the Nets and Clippers so it's not like only marquee teams are getting the benefit.

It's not marquee, its market size. Shocker that LA and NY were the big FA winners

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

something that i am growing tired of is the obsession with "asset culture" where any player who either isn't a superstar on a max or a rookie scale contract is overpaid trash. all i ever hear from people is, for example, that otto porter is overpaid and the biggest criticism i've seen is that he makes too much money. otto porter is a legitimately good basketball player who is perfect for the bulls and better than what he showed in DC because he has the ball in his hands a little more, and it's insane to me that he's bad because he's making slightly more money than he "should" based on his production. i'm so loving sick of contracts and caps and everything, i know it's a major part of the sport since the NBA is now a Transactions League, but i just want to see players play ball.

e: the same thing happened in baseball and a bunch of legit good players literally can't get signed because owners have figured out they can just pay for rookies ahd if they suck the team is rebuilding anyway.

Frank Sidebottom posted:

It's not marquee, its market size. Shocker that LA and NY were the big FA winners

once again, the small-market chicago bulls are left dangling for scraps.

R.D. Mangles fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Jul 7, 2019

Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy

R.D. Mangles posted:

something that i am growing tired of is the obsession with "asset culture" where any player who either isn't a superstar on a max or a rookie scale contract is overpaid trash. all i ever hear from people is, for example, that otto porter is overpaid and the biggest criticism i've seen is that he makes too much money. otto porter is a legitimately good basketball player who is perfect for the bulls and better than what he showed in DC because he has the ball in his hands a little more, and it's insane to me that he's bad because he's making slightly more money than he "should" based on his production. i'm so loving sick of contracts and caps and everything, i know it's a major part of the sport since the NBA is now a Transactions League, but i just want to see players play ball.

This is also why people think Adams is trash.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Frank Sidebottom posted:

But Golden State wasn't a very big market. And honestly, you're not going to get the same market access playing for the Nets vs the Knicks or Clippers vs the Lakers. You're still going to have a ton of people in LA who are Laker's fans first.

And if Market Size was such a big factor, why is Chicago (which only has 1 team) not a bigger attraction? (edit: Beaten by RD)

I disagree. I think market size is a factor, but pretty low on the list, tbh. I think fit is probably the biggest (its why players like to "start from scratch" so often) and success is another.

Seriously, "The Nets and the Clippers are big FA Targets" is not something that's been said ever so, yeah, it is a big shocker that those teams have suddenly been big winners.

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

R.D. Mangles posted:

once again, the small-market chicago bulls are left dangling for scraps.

Agreed. Also, I think I like this version of the Bulls. White and Harrison are cool. Otto, Lauri, WCJ, and Gafford are also p cool.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

But it is every team not in NYC or LA

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

Lockback posted:

But Golden State wasn't a very big market. And honestly, you're not going to get the same market access playing for the Nets vs the Knicks or Clippers vs the Lakers. You're still going to have a ton of people in LA who are Laker's fans first.

And if Market Size was such a big factor, why is Chicago (which only has 1 team) not a bigger attraction?

I disagree. I think market size is a factor, but pretty low on the list, tbh. I think fit is probably the biggest (its why players like to "start from scratch" so often) and success is another.

Seriously, "The Nets and the Clippers are big FA Targets" is not something that's been said ever so, yeah, it is a big shocker that those teams have suddenly been big winners.
I think "market size" in a dollars sense may be a piece of it, but the other side is young multimillionaire athletes just like living in los angeles and new york (and miami) because they're really fun places to live especially if you have more money than god

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Player can ball, you can also accept that most teams in the league will avoid the tax and otto porter being paid double what he's worth means the Bulls are gonna trade your other favorite player or not pay him

On the other hand, gently caress the bulls

Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy

Lockback posted:

And if Market Size was such a big factor, why is Chicago (which only has 1 team) not a bigger attraction? (edit: Beaten by RD)

Yeah, that's why there's a history of stars going to Memphis, okc, NOLA, and Minnesota. It's the reason the Lakers and Knicks and heat are poo poo at team building through the draft. They can just rely on recruiting free agents every year.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

G-Hawk posted:

I think "market size" in a dollars sense may be a piece of it, but the other side is young multimillionaire athletes just like living in los angeles and new york (and miami) because they're really fun places to live especially if you have more money than god

I mean, those guys can live anywhere they want in the country. Again, I don't think this is wrong or not a factor but before this FA we saw Golden State clean up in FA and I don't think San Fran/Oakland is all that great. LMA was the key FA target a few years ago and he went to San Antonio.

I think Butler likes Miami, but I think he mostly went there to have his own team, a thing he's been saying he wants for like 3 years. Also, Miami has swung and missed on a LOT of free agents the last 5 years.

Frank Sidebottom posted:

Yeah, that's why there's a history of stars going to Memphis, okc, NOLA, and Minnesota. It's the reason the Lakers and Knicks and heat are poo poo at team building through the draft. They can just rely on recruiting free agents every year.

But the Knicks haven't gotten good Free Agents in like a decade.

Lockback fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jul 7, 2019

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

i'm also annoyed by an nba analysis that treats teams getting under the tax as a laudable strategy, there's a word for teams that do that: they are cheap cowards and any team that makes moves just to get under the tax should be ostracized in the media and pressured to sell the team, if you won't pay luxury tax on your 2 billion dollar NBA franchise you should be out of the league and also in jail, in my opinion.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Frank Sidebottom posted:

Yeah that’s been going great for the Knicks

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

R.D. Mangles posted:

something that i am growing tired of is the obsession with "asset culture" where any player who either isn't a superstar on a max or a rookie scale contract is overpaid trash.

Agreed

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

everything with the way nba team building and salary caps and "assets" are talked about and handled right now is driven by the fact that the existence of a max contract makes the top 5-10 players undervalued versus their actual worth, so the entirety of winning nba championships is now driven by who can convince a couple of those players to come play for them. And given that fact, those top 5-10 players are gonna decide to play either A. with their friends B. in a cool fun city C. where they can make even more money (market size) D. where they think they can win. And everything else in the league revolves around what their preferences are.

The only thing more valuable than a top player on a max is getting them via the draft because of rookie salary and team control, which is obviously a gamble.

But getting rid of the max contract and keeping a salary cap would push the entire rest of the league's salary down, which would be bad. So there isn't really a great solution, and rising salaries are just making those top 5-10 players so financially secure they can even turn down larger amounts of money, like the supermax, that previously would have given teams advantages versus loving off to LA or NYC.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

R.D. Mangles posted:

i'm also annoyed by an nba analysis that treats teams getting under the tax as a laudable strategy, there's a word for teams that do that: they are cheap cowards and any team that makes moves just to get under the tax should be ostracized in the media and pressured to sell the team, if you won't pay luxury tax on your 2 billion dollar NBA franchise you should be out of the league and also in jail, in my opinion.

agreed. nerds like zach Lowe and Nate Duncan have done more harm to the nba fan base than the idiot Stephen a smith and skip baylesses of the world ever did

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

G-Hawk posted:

But getting rid of the max contract and keeping a salary cap would push the entire rest of the league's salary down, which would be bad.

I'm not 100% sure if this is true. Toronto just won with 1 top guy and a deep roster of good-starter-types. I think there would absolutely be a market for teams to spend on the good-starters if they couldn't land a top-talent. I don't think your Otto Porters or Lowry's or Steven Adams would suddenly be minimum guys.

I think you'd have some teams that are basically this year's Lakers, and some teams that go deep with maybe 1 or 2 near-allstar type guys (kinda like the Clippers last season). That seems like it'd be pretty good.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

Lockback posted:

I'm not 100% sure if this is true. Toronto just won with 1 top guy and a deep roster of good-starter-types. I think there would absolutely be a market for teams to spend on the good-starters if they couldn't land a top-talent. I don't think your Otto Porters or Lowry's or Steven Adams would suddenly be minimum guys.

I think you'd have some teams that are basically this year's Lakers, and some teams that go deep with maybe 1 or 2 near-allstar type guys (kinda like the Clippers last season). That seems like it'd be pretty good.

i think the effects would be interesting to see, but it seems likely to me youd see a wider gulf open in player pay overall.

But theres also the other point i mentioned that stars are already starting to leave large amounts of money on the table because of other priorities (winning, friends, place to live, etc), so maybe you wouldnt see durant try to get paid 100mil or whatever because he doesnt want to play with a bunch of min contract guys.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1147905246812753920

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

G-Hawk posted:

i think the effects would be interesting to see, but it seems likely to me youd see a wider gulf open in player pay overall.

But theres also the other point i mentioned that stars are already starting to leave large amounts of money on the table because of other priorities (winning, friends, place to live, etc), so maybe you wouldnt see durant try to get paid 100mil or whatever because he doesnt want to play with a bunch of min contract guys.

Yeah. I think this is a good point and it ties into the fact that we are at enough money that guys are walking away from money for other factors.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Caleb Swanigan bought me dinner because of the poo poo I yelled :cool:

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Starting the "please stay" tactics very early, smart

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

WhyteRyce posted:

Haha, at him or at the other team?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

The Bucks are going to have to max both him and Giannis.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

Lockback posted:

Yeah. I think this is a good point and it ties into the fact that we are at enough money that guys are walking away from money for other factors.

the league gave teams a structural advantage in keeping players they drafted for a long time between the salary cap, things like bird rights, extra years, RFAs, etc. But now player salaries are so high after team control is gone, players rightfully consider other factors than sheer amount of money in deciding where to play. I'm not sure how you prevent things like market size, playing with other stars, living desirable places, etc from being what they want to prioritize. I also don't have a problem with players having that power and making those decisions, but its going to result in the increased movement of players to a specific few markets and theres no real incentive to stay in one place.

Rising salaries have also reduced the incentive for signing the longest deal possible - and one unnoted thing about the Durant signing is the guy literally is 30 and destroyed his achilles and it was widely agreed (knicks aside maybe lol) everyone should offer him a 4 year max anyway. When previously the potential of injury was a big incentive for players to sign the longest, biggest money deal possible. And now players are increasingly able to force trades to their desired destination as well.

But I think thats all driving asset culture -- the path to winning in the nba is creating a situation that superstars want to join, and the controllable factors for that are cap space and good players, and by extension of that good players on cheap contracts. You cant control market size or being NYC, but you can control that. So the incentive for every team in the league is to have good players on cheap contracts and draft picks that can help them draw in stars. I think if anything the league is going to head even more in that direction going forward.

thumper57
Feb 26, 2004

Be funny if this was like billy goats gruff and every year a bigger, older Antentekounpo joined the Bucks to avenge the previous year.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

WhyteRyce posted:

i'll bite: what did you yell.

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

G-Hawk, I like your posts, dude. They're good.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Lockback posted:

Haha, at him or at the other team?

For Sacramento. I was actually very well behaved for the Sacramento game since one of the floor ushers told some Chinese guy to stop saying "ref you suck" or he'll be kicked out. So I kept it to just over reacting to Eric Mika dunks, chanting Sacramento, and yelling at Peja that I still love him. Always and forever.

I'm really legit surprised no one talked to me about not booing really loudly in the first quarter of the Mavs game everytime Cam Payne touched the ball and saying "why couldn't you do that for Chicago" everytime he actually made a shot. Pretty sure he tried to stare me down when I informed him he'll be losing a jump ball

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jul 7, 2019

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It’s nice the summer league jerseys are made such that the names are illegible on tv

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

WhyteRyce posted:

I'm really legit surprised no one talked to me about not booing really loudly in the first quarter of the Mavs game everytime Cam Payne touched the ball and saying "why couldn't you do that for Chicago" everytime he actually made a shot

lmao, my man

you're a loving hero

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

WhyteRyce posted:

I'm really legit surprised no one talked to me about not booing really loudly in the first quarter of the Mavs game everytime Cam Payne touched the ball and saying "why couldn't you do that for Chicago" everytime he actually made a shot. Pretty sure he tried to stare me down when I informed him he'll be losing a jump ball

Omg lmao

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Some old guy tried to be a smartass and said Sacramento fans shouldn't boo players. I said "Sacramento fans know poo poo players and Cam Payne is a poo poo player boooooooooooooooooooooooooooo"

That one had the Rockets assistants cracking up

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Cam Payne is still playing in Summer League?

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Henchman of Santa posted:

Cam Payne is still playing in Summer League?

yeah before he fucks off to china

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

WhyteRyce posted:

Some old guy tried to be a smartass and said Sacramento fans shouldn't boo players. I said "Sacramento fans know poo poo players and Cam Payne is a poo poo player boooooooooooooooooooooooooooo"

That is some Grade A gatekeeping.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
The idea that NY and LA won this free agency feels a bit misleading as the more iconic and the ones with more control of the markets lost

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I AM ALMOST INTERNET FAMOUS
https://twitter.com/BrianZilem/status/1147698756302675968
https://twitter.com/BrianZilem/status/1147681947562336256
https://twitter.com/MaxScouts/status/1147681195573964801
https://twitter.com/_Verts/status/1147677295584219137

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jul 7, 2019

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
What did cam do to you 😥

Vertical Lime