Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should Gaj make his own thread
This poll is closed.
Yes, make a new thread 6 54.55%
No, keep things just how they are 5 45.45%
Total: 11 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Plan Z posted:

Worked in catering, and you'd see this behavior in wedding planners a lot. It's not an easy job per se, but I think a lot of them aren't used to how laid-back modern generations are, and still pride themselves on freaking the gently caress out over every minute detail because of the older generations who are more high-strung about their demands. On my food truck, we catered to a lot of hippies who were always "Hey man, it's cool. Just make sure everyone's having a good time." Meanwhile, the wedding planner is freaking out about seating arrangements, trying to change the bridge/groom's menu behind their back to Italian (it's always Italian that they try to switch it to), pulling away staff that doesn't work for them to do menial one-person jobs, etc. They also always seem to know nothing about food, too.

We did Mexican food for caterings that was like Rick Bayless Frontera/Topo la Bomba-level stuff and we could never get the wedding planners to understand that it wasn't Taco Bell tacos. "Well there's going to be the Grandparents and they're old and I don't think they'd like tacos so could you switch to something like Italian*?." It's not going to be tacos, it's going to salmon in a pumpkin seed sauce. No it's not spicy. We'd get an "ohhhh, okay" which we eventually learned meant that she would forget or she didn't listen to us. This kept going on and on. On the wedding day, she told us she was going to go to the Sheetz (gas station chain with food) down the road to pick up some stuff for the older people. We had to keep showing her the food because she was ignoring and not listening to us, and kept apologizing to this table of like seven old people. The one great uncle or whatever turned out to be a guy who was in the Navy and was psyched to be eating the kind of food he'd get in Latin America and loved showing it off and explaining it to everyone. Got nothing but compliments. This was an extreme example, but every wedding planner/coordinator I've worked with was like that in some way.

*Number one thing I hated about weddings. There are 200 people, but grandma is there and she doesn't like soft meat, so cook everything dry and well-done, please.

I don't know a lot of wedding planners but every one I've ever seen at a friend's or family member's wedding has been totally nuts and basically acted like it was their wedding.

A cousin of mine who lives in Seattle got married in a very small ceremony at a wine cellars up in the forest, I mean it was so beautiful and had so few people it would have been practically impossible for it to go bad, but yet the wedding planning lady was running around freaking out about everything. I guess my cousin and his wife wanted to use some specific for her to walk out to but the planning lady was SUPER pissed, like preventing the ceremony from starting because she didn't like the tunes. Also she made snide remarks about how some guests were dressed not to her standards (I guess her standard would have been black tie, no one was in jeans or anything, everyone dressed very nicely) yet this woman was walking around in loving Teva sandals with socks on. They eventually told her she had to leave the ceremony.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Their idea of 'progressive' is 'not being openly racist'.

And also thinking The Gays should just stay away from them instead of dying.

LabyaMynora posted:

The best thing is, property values are a lie scam.

According to Zillow, etc. my home is worth 50% more now than when I bought it four years ago. I have had seven houses for sale on my block this year, and only one of them has sold. No one's buying these lovely houses for that inflated price.

I know for a fact that my house is not worth what they say it's worth, because no one would buy it for that price. At the same time, my insurance and property taxes are similarly inflated as though my house were worth the price that no one would be willing to pay. It's all an illusion scam.

PROPERTY VALUES!!!! are why small houses cost a quarter million dollars and our generation can't even remotely afford one.

shame on an IGA posted:

What you expect me to learn Mexican before I can do a racism?

Way back when my friend worked in a grocery store and he saw some lady complaining because a box of something was printed with both English and Spanish words. Then she loudfy said to no one in particular, "This is America, we speak American!".

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

CPL593H posted:

Way back when my friend worked in a grocery store and he saw some lady complaining because a box of something was printed with both English and Spanish words. Then she loudfy said to no one in particular, "This is America, we speak American!".

I worked with a chud a decade ago who flipped his poo poo that a local TV channel aired a single Spanish language commercial.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

CPL593H posted:

PROPERTY VALUES!!!! are why small houses cost a quarter million dollars and our generation can't even remotely afford one.

I remember Archie Bunker constantly bitching about how 'the darkies and PRs' would drive down property values.

Ronnie Reagan and his ilk have a lot to answer for by promoting housing as a investment vehicle instead of just a place to live.

That and the whole crock of poo poo that is Proposition 13.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
Boomers watched Jeopardy! for 30 years and cannot recall a single thing they learned. Their only interest was the money. How much he won, how much she lost. What she could've won, what he could've lost.

homeless guy
Feb 23, 2019

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah that's the fun part. It's not meant to be educational.

0xAYN
Nov 22, 2010

idk lol

BigDave posted:

I remember Archie Bunker constantly bitching about how 'the darkies and PRs' would drive down property values.

Ronnie Reagan and his ilk have a lot to answer for by promoting housing as a investment vehicle instead of just a place to live.

That and the whole crock of poo poo that is Proposition 13.

A home should really just be an air conditioned shelter that I can charge my phone in and plug in a computer. The rest of home ownership baffles me.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Byzantic posted:

A home should really just be an air conditioned shelter that I can charge my phone in and plug in a computer. The rest of home ownership baffles me.

good news, you're describing an office, and companies prefer you live there so

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Inept posted:

good news, you're describing an office, and companies prefer you live there so

My boss (Squarely GenX but a conservative christian) told our team that if he had his way we'd be at work 24/7.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Jose Oquendo posted:

My boss (Squarely GenX but a conservative christian) told our team that if he had his way we'd be at work 24/7.

I don't know sir, I like to keep business and personal life separate and I'd feel kinda weird porking your wife all over your desk

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Nooner posted:

I don't know sir, I like to keep business and personal life separate and I'd feel kinda weird porking your wife all over your desk

I am writing that one down in case he says that poo poo again.

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

ProperCoochie posted:

Boomers watched Jeopardy! for 30 years and cannot recall a single thing they learned. Their only interest was the money. How much he won, how much she lost. What she could've won, what he could've lost.

My boomer parents have been watching Jeopardy for as long as I can remember and between the two of them they absolutely learned a ton from watching it. No poo poo when I watch it with them I feel like the biggest idiot. I’m shocked at how much real historical, science and sports trivia they are able to spit out. The only thing they are weak on is twenty first century pop culture.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Nooner posted:

:eyepop:

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Jose Oquendo posted:

Conservative Christians need to be drowned in a bathtub.

ChipNDip
Sep 6, 2010

How many deaths are prevented by an executive order that prevents big box stores from selling seeds, furniture, and paint?

Grape posted:

My Silent Gen grandma has gradually (as much as a Silent can anyway) drifted leftward and more leftward over her years in Florida, but mostly out of pure disgust with the hyper mega bigotry of pretty much every last one of her condo mates.

My dad's parents who retired out to Arizona are like that, but my mom's parents (who are a couple years too old to be Boomers but are spirtually there) moved to Kentucky and have unfortunately drifted from "very racist centrists" to full-on Fox News brainworms.

Well What Now
Nov 10, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Shredded Hen

mycomancy posted:

Conservative Christians need to be drowned in a bathtub.

Use a river and claim it was an accident during baptism.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

ProperCoochie posted:

There was a bartender who was champion for a bit before the gambler, and he said something along the lines of, he's good at Jeopardy because they had trivia nights at the bar he worked in, and there's only so many trivia questions/topics.

Like, Jeopardy isn't going to pop out and ask some random rear end question about some Estonian king in the middle ages that nobody except scholars know about. They stick to a list of things that are significant enough that some portion of the population is expected to be aware of.

DorkusMalorkus
Aug 4, 2009

"That's not Latin!"

CPL593H posted:

I have a coworker who is probably right on the edge of Gen X/Boomer who must be full boomer in spirit. Every time we get new signs at work they are printed in only English on one side, and English and Spanish on the other side. I always put out the English and Spanish side, because why the gently caress wouldn't I (it's Colorado) and he'll go back a few days later and swap them all around to the only English side. I almost never work with him anymore because I work almost all mornings now and he's only there in the evening, but we're in a silent war of signs. I'll flip them back just because I know it pisses him off (and because duh, there are a lot of Spanish speaking people around here and I'm not an rear end in a top hat)

He also looks about a decade older than he is, is constantly spitting tobacco juice into a Coke can, and is a gigantic crabby rear end in a top hat, so gently caress him.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

LabyaMynora posted:

There was a bartender who was champion for a bit before the gambler, and he said something along the lines of, he's good at Jeopardy because they had trivia nights at the bar he worked in, and there's only so many trivia questions/topics.

Like, Jeopardy isn't going to pop out and ask some random rear end question about some Estonian king in the middle ages that nobody except scholars know about. They stick to a list of things that are significant enough that some portion of the population is expected to be aware of.

I remember being a kid and every time they'd say "This British politician..." I would answer "Winston Churchill" and be right about 75% of the time despite really only knowing his name. I'd get adults calling me a genius when no, Jeopardy history questions are usually just written by total Dads.

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005
Archive of Jepodary questions.
http://j-archive.com/showseason.php?season=35

July 5th's game
http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6352

Be careful tho. This website is painful to look at.

Edit: Ohhhh there is a search feature
The answer is Nero.
http://j-archive.com/search.php?search=nero&submit=Search

Martin Luther (both King, and the protestant priest.)
http://j-archive.com/search.php?search=Martin+Luther&submit=Search

Jesus
http://j-archive.com/search.php?search=Jesus&submit=Search

mazzi Chart Czar fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Jul 8, 2019

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

This ashtray

Vato
Jan 14, 2018

This is stuff y'all like, don't lie!

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe
Boomers like faking 'politically correct' outrage and thinking it's hilarious.

Years ago when I lived on the coast I was in a sailing club and I'm still in the club's facebook group (mistake #1). Although the club itself had/has plenty of decent, chill normal people who are only there so they have somewhere cheap to keep their boat and a building to sit in/next to with cheap food and drink and a decent social and events scene, the facebook group has been taken over entirely by gammony Boomer men who represent all the very worst stereotypes about sailing clubs and hobbyist sailors.

Today a link was shared by someone whose daughter works for an international sailing charity which has launched a survey on 'gender diversity in sailing'

A Sailing Charity posted:

The survey is part of the Trust’s Access to Sailing work. We want to understand the trends around gender diversity within sailing and learn about the experiences of women and girls in sailing: what attracts them, what puts them off, why they drop out, the perceived and real barriers to participation that they might face and how this varies across countries, ages, classes and competition and different elements of the sport - racing vs recreational vs officials and, how we can increase women and girls’ participation.

The very first reply notes that "they're a bit behind the curve with only two binary gender options...they'll get slapped down for that...hurrhurrhurr". There then follows lots of comments in a similar vein, none actually engaging with the subject and all along the lines of "as someone who identifies as an attack helicopter I am very offended that I can't properly express myself while doing this survey...hurrhurrhurrr" or "OooOooo, better watch out, the Post-modern Cultural Marxists will be onto them soon...world's gone mad, innit?" and lots of self-satisfied, priviledged back-slapping about how you can't say anything these days (while saying an awful lot on a free and public internet platform).

In an ideal world they'd just shut up and ignore the survey (actually, in an ideal world the survey wouldn't be required because the issue wouldn't exist, but you know what I'm getting at) but this stream of self-satisfied fake outrage is way more annoying to me than if they just outright came out and said that they reckoned ladies can't do sailing because :biotruths: say women are domestic nuturers and not suited to masculine, adrenaline-fuelled adventure sports* or that the motion of the sea upsets their wombs or whatever poo poo it is they actually believe.

*which, as these Alpha manly-men practise it mostly involved bobbing around a glass-smooth harbour necking back gin & tonic by the gallon.

P.S. - Around half of them are bitterly divorced and also angrily bemused about why they can't find any women who want to join them on their booze cruises.

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

ChipNDip posted:

My dad's parents who retired out to Arizona are like that, but my mom's parents (who are a couple years too old to be Boomers but are spirtually there) moved to Kentucky and have unfortunately drifted from "very racist centrists" to full-on Fox News brainworms.

Are you 15 years old? If so, could you post some pics to the reddit thread?

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

BalloonFish posted:

*which, as these Alpha manly-men practise it mostly involved bobbing around a glass-smooth harbour necking back gin & tonic by the gallon.

Not gonna lie, I'd do that.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
a lot of posters itt appear to be frightened of Boomers but they should keep in mind that what appear to be Boomers' eyes are actually a phosphorescent mimicry intended to scare away predators

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

Bonaventure posted:

a lot of posters itt appear to be frightened of Boomers but they should keep in mind that what appear to be Boomers' eyes are actually a phosphorescent mimicry intended to scare away predators

thank god no amount of biological deterrents will stop Death.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
https://twitter.com/existentialfish/status/1148309540116582402

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

:suicide:

RobattoJesus
Aug 13, 2002

Are your children really that interesting? Is your wife that interesting? Are friends really that interesting? Why not just work yourself to death! gently caress you to death Fox man. I wish my job was hunting Fox guests with a bow and arrow.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Panfilo posted:

I'm trying remember the name of this book where some liberal stereotype professor has some private high tech army take over New York and some stereotypical Good Old Boy veteran goes and stops him. Thinking about it, a lot of that book sounds like boomer bait. And yeah, I read it in an airport.

(8 years of memetic muscle memory surge through my body, obliterating the hundred pages i've yet to read in this thread)
OH JOHN RINGO, NO.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

RobattoJesus posted:

gently caress you to death Fox man. I wish my job was hunting Fox guests with a bow and arrow.

The biggest flaw of liberalism is that Fox News can broadcast authoritarian propaganda from the middle of New York City and nobody there does a drat thing about it.

That building should've been burnt down ten times over.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
i pissed on it once :shobon:

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
but so has everyone, i guess

Omnitrix
Aug 14, 2008

Jacob likes air cooled VW's
I had a boomer meltdown in my shop today over the transition to blu ray.
Boomer customer was pissed that the store doesn't have as many movies as a it did ten years ago (thanks to streaming)
Boomer asked for Jurassic Park, find we have a dvd/blu combo pack in a steel box.
This pisses off said boomer who doesnt want the extra disc and is upset that the box art is not what he remembers.
I offered him 10% off to get him out and he took it. Boomers love to think they're getting a deal.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

gently caress.

That.

Well What Now
Nov 10, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Shredded Hen

fixed

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Well the anthropomorphic thumb in the weird glasses seemed to think it was a lovely deal at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

BalloonFish posted:

Boomers like faking 'politically correct' outrage and thinking it's hilarious.

Years ago when I lived on the coast I was in a sailing club and I'm still in the club's facebook group (mistake #1). Although the club itself had/has plenty of decent, chill normal people who are only there so they have somewhere cheap to keep their boat and a building to sit in/next to with cheap food and drink and a decent social and events scene, the facebook group has been taken over entirely by gammony Boomer men who represent all the very worst stereotypes about sailing clubs and hobbyist sailors.

Today a link was shared by someone whose daughter works for an international sailing charity which has launched a survey on 'gender diversity in sailing'

The very first reply notes that "they're a bit behind the curve with only two binary gender options...they'll get slapped down for that...hurrhurrhurr". There then follows lots of comments in a similar vein, none actually engaging with the subject and all along the lines of "as someone who identifies as an attack helicopter I am very offended that I can't properly express myself while doing this survey...hurrhurrhurrr" or "OooOooo, better watch out, the Post-modern Cultural Marxists will be onto them soon...world's gone mad, innit?" and lots of self-satisfied, priviledged back-slapping about how you can't say anything these days (while saying an awful lot on a free and public internet platform).

In an ideal world they'd just shut up and ignore the survey (actually, in an ideal world the survey wouldn't be required because the issue wouldn't exist, but you know what I'm getting at) but this stream of self-satisfied fake outrage is way more annoying to me than if they just outright came out and said that they reckoned ladies can't do sailing because :biotruths: say women are domestic nuturers and not suited to masculine, adrenaline-fuelled adventure sports* or that the motion of the sea upsets their wombs or whatever poo poo it is they actually believe.

P.S. - Around half of them are bitterly divorced and also angrily bemused about why they can't find any women who want to join them on their booze cruises.

In a way they're providing exactly the kind of information to the survey was meant to gather.

Omnitrix posted:

I had a boomer meltdown in my shop today over the transition to blu ray.
Boomer customer was pissed that the store doesn't have as many movies as a it did ten years ago (thanks to streaming)
Boomer asked for Jurassic Park, find we have a dvd/blu combo pack in a steel box.
This pisses off said boomer who doesnt want the extra disc and is upset that the box art is not what he remembers.
I offered him 10% off to get him out and he took it. Boomers love to think they're getting a deal.

"I DON'T WANT TO HAVE TO BUY ALL THESE MOVIES AGAIN! I JUST HAD TO DO THAT WHEN THEY MADE DVDS!"

Blu-ray debuted in 2006. A few years I was having a conversation with an old who really likes the Beatles, so I mentioned that there was an upcoming blu-ray of the movie Yellow Submarine which was also a brand new pristine restoration of the film. He scoffed and said "They just put that out in 99!". This was well over a decade after 1999, aside from the various technical reasons it's very obviously a superior release and the fact that the movie had been out of print for over a decade. NEW THING BAD!