Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

power crystals posted:

I don't think I've seen this one in the recent list. In iPad landscape at least, latest app/iOS as far as I know, if I load a thread with sufficiently few+small posts unread on the page that the unread posts are smaller than the space allocated to view them (so like, 39 read, one unread post of a few sentences, a bunch of black below it) then the first pull-for-next-page fails and nothing happens no matter how far I pull. Second attempt always works fine. It seems to affect pull-to-refresh too having just tried that for giggles.

I think I’ve seen this happen but it’s really rare for me, so I appreciate the write-up!

kefkafloyd posted:

I'd be all over a Catalyst version of awful.app.

I think it’ll be a ton of work to make an actual non-poo poo Mac app out of it, so I ain’t promising anything, but now I know what it takes to get it running.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

kefkafloyd posted:

I'd be all over a Catalyst version of awful.app.

:same:

TBH I'd prob not even have safari open if not for SA lol.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Chrome + SALR still does a great job on my mac (and pixelbook and linux work desktop and occasional windows gaming PC) so I honestly have no idea what I would use an awful app for on a computer.

Awful app is great and useful on iPad (and the android cousin on my phone) but there's already a pretty solid experience with normal browsers on computers, even without SALR. A lot of what makes Awful work well with its current design is the touch interface that isn't ideal on non-tablets. I still use the trackpad on my pixelbook 95% of the time when it's in laptop mode rather than touching the screen.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Yeah I wouldn’t expect a ton of users for a Mac version, it’d be more for my amusement. The whole goal is to be Better Than Safari and that’s much harder to do on desktop.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I'd use a mac version

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
same, sorting bookmarks to put unreads on top is a killer feature for me

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

You can do that with SALR.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The Dave posted:

You can do that with SALR.

What the heck is SALR? It’s the first I’ve heard of it.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

What the heck is SALR? It’s the first I’ve heard of it.

Something Awful Last Read. It's a customizable browser extension for adding extra functionality to the forums. It's been around so long that it's named for a feature that's been a native part of the forums for ~15 years.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Diabolik900 posted:

Something Awful Last Read. It's a customizable browser extension for adding extra functionality to the forums. It's been around so long that it's named for a feature that's been a native part of the forums for ~15 years.

Ooooh ok thanks!

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

MarcusSA posted:

Ooooh ok thanks!

It's currently delisted in Firefox for some dumb reason. Thread is here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3845597

It offers a ton of functionality and you can save your settings via json and import them so that it's the same across all browsers, stuff it in a pastebin that you bookmark or something so you can get it easily.

Dr. Kayak Paddle
May 10, 2006

My app no longer refreshes forums automatically, please send help

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Did you delete and reinstall?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

pokeyman posted:

Yeah I wouldn’t expect a ton of users for a Mac version, it’d be more for my amusement. The whole goal is to be Better Than Safari and that’s much harder to do on desktop.

no it’s really not

Dr. Kayak Paddle
May 10, 2006

MarcusSA posted:

Did you delete and reinstall?

Yeah, sure did. Additionally the link for goons with spoons takes me to TCC.

I am on the iOS 13 public beta, so it’s probably something to do with that.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Dr. Kayak Paddle posted:

Yeah, sure did. Additionally the link for goons with spoons takes me to TCC.

I am on the iOS 13 public beta, so it’s probably something to do with that.

Goons with spoons is the drug forum mow, its a freebasing joke

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Regular Nintendo posted:

Goons with spoons is the drug forum mow, its a freebasing joke

also heroin

also cocaine if they're really tiny spoons

perfect forums joke

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Mr. Fix It posted:

also cocaine if they're really tiny spoons

ladles all day errday

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
I like the oled dark mode. It is very dark. Darkness.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
This is pretty minor, but it seems like the back button is too far up (iPhone 8, latest regular version of awful) when in landscape mode, like so:

It’s in the same spot in all the themes, which makes sense. It seems like it’s higher up than the new post button and is basically jutting up against the edge of the screen. It’s working just fine, visual appearance aside, so it’s not really a big deal. It seems fine in portrait mode, but there’s more room there thanks to the status bar, so it’s hard to tell.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

On the off chance that anyone has any interest, there’s a “mac” branch up on GitHub that should build and run cleanly in Xcode 11 beta 3. Note that the Mac part will only work on the macOS 10.15 beta. If anyone wants to poke at it, by all means! Just don’t upgrade your actually-needs-to-work installation of macOS to the beta because it’s very beta.

Dr. Kayak Paddle posted:

My app no longer refreshes forums automatically, please send help

Just to double-check: is this the list of forums that doesn’t refresh? Or a list of threads within a single forum?

Zenostein posted:

This is pretty minor, but it seems like the back button is too far up (iPhone 8, latest regular version of awful) when in landscape mode, like so:

It’s in the same spot in all the themes, which makes sense. It seems like it’s higher up than the new post button and is basically jutting up against the edge of the screen. It’s working just fine, visual appearance aside, so it’s not really a big deal. It seems fine in portrait mode, but there’s more room there thanks to the status bar, so it’s hard to tell.

Yeah that looks pretty goofy. I’ll add it to the list!

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

Just saw the GitHub commit mentioning a macOS version (https://github.com/Awful/Awful.app/commit/3e57db3e74297c4b37329a618d4dcfb688d13d3a)

I love that, thank y'all for working on this

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Glimm posted:

Just saw the GitHub commit mentioning a macOS version (https://github.com/Awful/Awful.app/commit/3e57db3e74297c4b37329a618d4dcfb688d13d3a)

I love that, thank y'all for working on this

Yes ❤️❤️❤️❤️

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

iPhone XS, iOS 12.3.1. Every now and then the top bar with Parent Forum, Scroll to End and Precious Posts will sometimes not show up. It fixes itself by just leaving the thread and returning but it happens enough that I’ve noticed it.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Alright, starting to throw together a light theme to match the element sizes of OLED dark. Please tweak the shades of these colors if you'd like to, I don’t think they fit quite right. Also, do you want the top navigation bar in the app to stay blue or become white for a super blinding experience?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

colachute posted:

iPhone XS, iOS 12.3.1. Every now and then the top bar with Parent Forum, Scroll to End and Precious Posts will sometimes not show up. It fixes itself by just leaving the thread and returning but it happens enough that I’ve noticed it.

Seen this too on iPhone 6S+ and iPad Pro 2018.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
Random non-iOS question - is there an actively maintained Windows 10 app? There’s an Awful app in the Win10 store but I’m not sure how up to date it is and can’t find a thread.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Subjunctive posted:

Seen this too on iPhone 6S+ and iPad Pro 2018.

Coq au Nandos posted:

Random non-iOS question - is there an actively maintained Windows 10 app? There’s an Awful app in the Win10 store but I’m not sure how up to date it is and can’t find a thread.

I don’t actually have responses to your posts but I need two quotes consecutively in a post to see what it looks like so yeah.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
bug: I accidentally hit edit instead of quote on one of my own posts, but when I backed out and hit the correct option it still treated it like an edit.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Lazyhound posted:

bug: I accidentally hit edit instead of quote on one of my own posts, but when I backed out and hit the correct option it still treated it like an edit.

Now that you say this, I remember having had this happen as well and I forgot to post about it.

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

That’s apparently intended behavior. I also thought it was a bug.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Imgur API is broken. The exact error is File type invalid (1) (ImgurException code 1003)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

playing all the Awful.app hits itt tonight

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?
I'm getting the "end of thread" bit bring waaay to ling but also I'm on iOS13 beta so maybe it's on apples end? Honestly this beta has been a mess and I am full of regrets.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Terrific app, BUT i need to be able to copy the url of someone's avatar image from their profile page so i can mock them by quoting their post then doing an [img] of their avatar

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Shear Modulus posted:

Terrific app, BUT i need to be able to copy the url of someone's avatar image from their profile page so i can mock them by quoting their post then doing an [img] of their avatar
___________________/

Workaround: longpress on their avatar in the thread to open the image viewer sheet without even opening their profile.

Recently I've seen the app re-render a thread (presumably when it's been evicted from memory) without the scrollthumbs. This sometimes happens when reopening the app, but more often it's when I tap a link to open a (probably heavyweight) website in-app; the scrollthumbs are often gone upon closing the Awful browser. I can fix it on a per-case basis by toggling Dark Mode.

I have noticed that the scrollthumbs do get effed up usually when I partially swipe back to dismiss the Awful browser but fail to complete the swipe. Definitely on twitter but I think it occurs on other websites too? The right-side scrollthumbs in the half-dismissed-but-then-resumed Awful browser get moved a distance away from the right edge of the screen, I think relating to how far I swiped while fakeout-dismissing the browser. Not sure if this is related to the disappearing scrollthumbs after dismissing the Awful browser though.

THXX

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Grace Baiting posted:

___________________/

Workaround: longpress on their avatar in the thread to open the image viewer sheet without even opening their profile.

Thanks, I hadn't found that I could do that

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

colachute posted:

I see this too sometimes. It’ll come back without leaving by scrolling just the right way but it’s not supposed to be that hard :) I’ll add it to the list!

carry on then posted:

Alright, starting to throw together a light theme to match the element sizes of OLED dark. Please tweak the shades of these colors if you'd like to, I don’t think they fit quite right. Also, do you want the top navigation bar in the app to stay blue or become white for a super blinding experience?

Looks good to me!

Coq au Nandos posted:

I’m not sure about actively maintained. I believe it was Drastic Actions who made it, could PM them about it?

Lazyhound posted:

Sorry about that. The goal is to have a kind of draft setup so you can go back and forth between the thread and your post and add multiple quotes or whatever. In practice it’s confusing and needs a rethink.

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Imgur API is broken. The exact error is File type invalid (1) (ImgurException code 1003)

Hmm, getting a smattering of these but I’m not sure yet what’s up. I’ll +1 it on the list.

GenericGirlName posted:

I'm getting the "end of thread" bit bring waaay to ling but also I'm on iOS13 beta so maybe it's on apples end? Honestly this beta has been a mess and I am full of regrets.

I don’t quite understand, sorry (autocorrect making things weird maybe?).

Shear Modulus posted:

This is a good idea! On the list it goes.

Grace Baiting posted:

Recently I've seen the app re-render a thread (presumably when it's been evicted from memory) without the scrollthumbs. This sometimes happens when reopening the app, but more often it's when I tap a link to open a (probably heavyweight) website in-app; the scrollthumbs are often gone upon closing the Awful browser. I can fix it on a per-case basis by toggling Dark Mode.

I have noticed that the scrollthumbs do get effed up usually when I partially swipe back to dismiss the Awful browser but fail to complete the swipe. Definitely on twitter but I think it occurs on other websites too? The right-side scrollthumbs in the half-dismissed-but-then-resumed Awful browser get moved a distance away from the right edge of the screen, I think relating to how far I swiped while fakeout-dismissing the browser. Not sure if this is related to the disappearing scrollthumbs after dismissing the Awful browser though.

THXX

Can’t say I’ve seen this one (or maybe I just haven’t noticed) but I’ll put it on the list and keep an eye out!

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

colachute posted:

pokeyman posted:

I see this too sometimes. It’ll come back without leaving by scrolling just the right way but it’s not supposed to be that hard :) I’ll add it to the list!

The behavior of the top bar has changed in one of the recent(ish?) updates.

The Nice Days: start showing whenever you're scrolling upwards, start hiding whenever you're scrolling downwards, and iirc would remain only partially visible when you stopped scrolling while it was transitioning; also it was always visible if you scrolled above the top of the earliest rendered post.

Now: the top bar is forced fully-hidden or fully-visible as soon as you stop scrolling; when you start scrolling from stopped and not touching the screen, the key scroll location is then fixed: top bar becomes visible only if you scroll above that location, and hides only if you scroll below that location.

So if you've got only a single short-ish post that was unread, and you start trying to scroll upwards, you need to stop scrolling entirely, let go of the screen until all scrolling momentum has dissipated, and then scroll up a bit (and you might need to scroll downwards and then stop just a little before all this too).

Or maybe when you open a thread, the top bar's key location is set to some negative value above the thread view which you can't reach? So you need to scroll just a little downwards and then stop entirely to reset the key location to something that can actually be reached, and only then you can scroll up to reveal the top bar.

I liked the old behavior overall better although I assume (or maybe vaguely remember?) that there was some kind of problem that cropped up with it. Probably after an iOS update that changed internal behavior!

pokeyman posted:

[scrollthumbs issue]
Can’t say I’ve seen this one (or maybe I just haven’t noticed) but I’ll put it on the list and keep an eye out!
Sounds good, thanks! I think I've usually seen it with what feel like relatively heavyweight webpage links, so things like Twitter and YouTube. I'll try to note down which webpage next triggers it for me as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?
Oh Jesus yes my autocorrect did a number on that post.

It was concerning a large gap at the bottom of the thread when you get to the end of a page. I haven't run into since those first few days on the ios13 beta though, so no worries.