Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

wa27 posted:

I don't think it's possible to get the nice packaging anymore. They're probably all the plastic case.

I was worried this might be the case. Guess I could try ebay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
the soundtrack to "the return" is fantastic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4nAvDXpvHk

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Extremely cursed tweet https://twitter.com/ericallenhatch/status/1136682748326928385?s=21

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

https://twitter.com/lynchsplaining/status/1141361742385164288

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/lynchsplaining/status/1141455127301283842?s=19

Holy poo poo at these 2 and the Hawk one

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Honestly, they are all fantastic.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Who is this drill guy?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

eSporks posted:

Who is this drill guy?

A poster that posts funny non-sequiturs on Twitter. I believe he used to post here too before that. He’s one of the most well known “weird Twitter” accounts and owns.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Lost gets a lot of flak these days but I'm rewatching it and it holds up. I forgot how well developed all the characters are, in a kind of caricaturized Stephen King sort of way

edit: survivor is actually good kaworu. there's a reason it's the reality show that still standing 30+ seasons later.

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jun 21, 2019

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

The Walrus posted:

edit: survivor is actually good kaworu. there's a reason it's the reality show that still standing 30+ seasons later.

Oh don't get me wrong I *adore* Survivor, and vividly remember watching the very first season - I was one of very few vocal online supporters of "the fat naked gay guy", haha - I also remember the Survivor website guys were clever enough back in 1998, even, to trick those of us who tried to backtrack to the public root image folder - the big feature of the site was a big graph of who got eliminated on which day when, and they had uploaded all the images for it already and only one cast member didn't have an image with an X over his face. But again, that was a decoy the web guys put there for anyone who tried to peek into the image directory; back in 1998 peeking into html directories on public servers was actually sorta commonplace. But it was cool that Survivor was smart enough to set that up as a decoy so even us know-it-all's watching online had NO clue who was going to win in the end. The way they handled that definitely impressed me. Oh, also, a very old friend of mine who goes by Propagada Machine on SA is like, a legendary player of the SA survivor game, and that got me interested in watching it recently more, and it's amazing how well the show continues to hold up.

But to get back to David Lynch, I'm still meandering through my re-watch, slowly but surely, but I must admit to being very confused about something... very specific. I'm probably just being stupid about this, and when the, uh, deduction was made, But it seems very clear that from the very start of Twin Peaks: The Return the Twin Peaks (and the world in general) that we are seeing is one in which Laura Palmer went missing.

So, essentially with the ending, we aren't meant to retroactively imagine how Twin Peaks might have turned out if Cooper "saved" Laura in the manner that he did from death. Rather, what we've been watching all along is a different future in which Laura Palmer was never murdered, and just... vanished.

Because I'm watching these episodes and NOWHERE does anybody discuss the MURDER of Laura Palmer. We hear about Gordon remembering "the original version", though, and Gordon sees visions of Laura. I haven't gotten to my rewatch of that part yet, though. But I'm absolutely convinced everything we see from the start of the series are the effects of the changes that Cooper makes at the end of the season.

Or is this all... incredibly obvious to everyone else and I'm incredibly slow? :ohdear:

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet

Yeah these are the cherries on top.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

i love this thank you

kaworu posted:

Or is this all... incredibly obvious to everyone else and I'm incredibly slow? :ohdear:

I hadn't thought this, but I really like it. Unfortunately if you consider the books canon Tammy's narration about people losing memory of Laura's murder or whatever negates the theory (IIRC).

Cnidario
Mar 22, 2013

:perfect:

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Fire Walk With Memes is a quality fb page

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I'm pretty sure it's the original timeline until the last 2 episodes

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Alan_Shore posted:

I'm pretty sure it's the original timeline until the last 2 episodes

You're correct, but I sincerely was not sure until I searched for a reference made by Frank Truman or Hawk or someone in Twin Peaks (25 years later) to Laura *dying* specifically. And when examining the diary pages, F. Truman does refer to Laura dying, and that's good enough for me. Plus, it would be too much of a reach. I really wasn't sure for a little while, there.

That being said... I truly think that there is something basic and... fundamental that we are missing.

I would hazard to say that all the scenes taking place in the Red Room/Purple Room/Giant's Home exist in a place outside of linear time/the space-time continuum/whatever. Seems to make some level of sense to me. Mike is always commenting "is it future? or is it past?" I think what he means by this is that when we see Dale in the the Giant's Room briefly (before he flickers out of all existence in the exact same manner asLaura's wrapped-up body) at the very very beginning of the series, and when we see him in episodes 1-2 interacting with Laura and Mike and The Arm, and in parts of the end perhaps, time is no longer a linear construct. Things happen instantly. This is why, I believe, free will and choice is so important in those places.

To the entities that exist there like The Giant or The Arm (or Judy?), they are viewing time as like a long TV series that they've watched a thousand times - everyone always does the same thing and things always end the way they end, and that's the way things are and have ALWAYS been. It seems to me like.... The world was more or less balanced until that first atom split and that first atomic bomb launched. That unleashed.... Chaotic evil with no respect for the way things are meant to be or the true path of humanity - they exist to consume the pain and hurt and suffering they inflict on others. These are the Woodsmen I'm talking about, and BOB, and apparently Judy/Jowday.

So, I'm not sure, but clearly the Giant has been acting in the interests of Laura in SOME way. I do think I've figured out that opening scene - if you accept that the Giant's Home exists in a place where, at least, time does not exist in the same manner as it does to us. I'll keep it general, like that.

The Giant says a few things to Cooper at the end RIGHT before he disappears. He tells Cooper to REMEMBER, which I believe is significant. Then he tells Cooper, "Remember... 430. -pause- Richard and Linda. -pause- Two birds with one stone." Coop replies fairly quickly, "I understand." Then the Giant comments "You are far away..." and Coop statics out of existence in the exact same manner as Laura's corpse in episode 17.

So here's what I think happened there... That was The Giant setting into motion Cooper's trip in episode 18. What he tells him... Without the '430' hint, Cooper would never have been able to go into the world/timeline that Carrie Page is in. And right after Coop says that he understands that he will remember these things... HE flickers out of whatever existence he was in when The Giant told him that.

So it seems to me that, by The Giant just telling Cooper how to travel to the other timeline/universe, in the Giant's Home/Red Room where time is not linear the repercussions of that FUTURE decision Coop will make are already being felt. Is it future, or is it past, or is it actually both and neither simultaneously?

(please forgive me for this long and ranting and wordsy post it's just that the more I try and think about this show the more complex and impenetrable it seems to get :eng99:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Now Eva is on Netflix I know kaworu is named after the gay kid from it

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Escobarbarian posted:

Now Eva is on Netflix I know kaworu is named after the gay kid from it

Well.. to be fair, I did start using the name when I first watched the show in 1999 when I was an emotionally repressed and socially awkward 14-year-old boy who was an outsider at school and dealt with all his problems by running away. Thought it’d be cute to use the name of this boy I had a crush on.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
haha I didn’t mean it as a diss, it’s a good show

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Episode 8, AKA the all-time best episode of television, aired 2 years ago today!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ir8s6IGq2Hs

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

https://twitter.com/boxrecgrey/status/1144495391221485568?s=21
This was too perfect not to share.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Holy poo poo, I got goosebumps when she dropped the L word.

quote:

You listen to me. While I will admit to a certain cynicism, the fact is that I am a naysayer and hatchet-man in the fight against violence. I pride myself in taking a punch and I'll gladly take another because I choose to live my life in the company of Gandhi and King. My concerns are global. I reject absolutely: revenge, aggression and retaliation. The foundation of such a method... is love. I love you Sheriff Truman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kf0ZvY2usbY

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jun 29, 2019

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

That's probably my all-time favorite scene from the original run. Albert's such a great character.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Jimbot posted:

That's probably my all-time favorite scene from the original run. Albert's such a great character.

It’s a tie between that and the scene where Briggs is recounting his dream to Bobby for me.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
I always interpreted it like Albert was loving with Truman. Albert almost beat the poo poo out of Dr Hayward.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Albert slips from the path sometimes but I think he's sincere.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Mantis42 posted:

Albert slips from the path sometimes but I think he's sincere.

gently caress GENE KELLY YOU MOTHERFUCKER!!

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Oh, Albert.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Also, this is a slight aside, but it doesn't feel quite so off-topic...

I am obviously a massive fan of Eva, given that 'kaworu' has been my online handle for uh... wow, 20 years exactly. But I *loved* the show back then - even the slower parts that most fans hated; especially those parts, to be honesty. The last 3 episodes were fantastic, I thought, though most dislike them for one reason or another. Since the full series 'Neon Genesis Evangelion' and the accompanying film 'End of Eva' are all available for streaming (Netflix) for the first time, uh, ever - and the last American reprint of the series was like 15 years ago and never even got an official Blu-Ray release outside of Japan. Given that Eva is one of the most enduringly popular anime franchises ever in Japan, it's always had a bit of a weird reputation over here - it crossed a lot of boundaries and elicited very strongly polarized reactions - people tended to REALLY really love it (like me) or despise it with real vitriol and venom.

Which actually brings me to why I'm posting this in a David Lynch thread... I know Lynch did have at least some popularity in Japan - after all, Legend of Zelda: Links Awakening had some pretty funny/weird subtle references to Twin Peaks, and the designers admitted it was a legitimate influence. I mean, it is after all a game about Link dreaming he is on an imaginary dream island (which is somehow magically semi-real depending on how you view the ending) so having some weird and trippy Lynchian stuff going on is appropriate! It's even getting a big HD remake/remaster this year on the Switch, all weirdness intact.

So I've been watching Evangelion for the first time in at least 10 years, and frankly.... Even though it's animated, the direction (by Hideaki Anno) STRIKINGLY reminds me of Lynch. I remember a quote where someone said "Twin Peaks is as much a cop show/mystery show as Evangelion is a mecha anime." And that sums up pretty well how both shows delve REALLY deeply into the spiritual/experimental/dreamlike/metaphysical.... The vast majority of anime out there - especially something like Eva which does still have giant humanoid robots piloted by teenagers - is usually full of all kinds of dynamic motion and quick cuts and lots of cool visual perspectives and flourishes you could only really do with cel animation. It is a bit limiting in some ways - for example, one of the only ways to do a single long take without cutting is using a static shot - one animated cel with no movement, but maybe dialogue.

The anime to use this technique of taking one striking looking animated frame and holding that single shot with no movement for extended periods of time was something Evangelion did back in the '90s that NOBODY else would have had the balls to do, I think. Arguably some were done because of budget constraints, but I don't think that's entirely true as even early on Anno was utilizing long, static, almost motionless shots to great effect. There is just something about... the use of the camera as an eye that reminds me of Lynch. Certain shots that Anno holds while he lets a scene unfold verbally are very effective, very striking. The sound design on the show is also absolutely top-notch, just listen to the Japanese version... though the new English dub is way better than the crappy old one they did with D-list voice actors at the time.

edit: wow both shows are so much more similar actually - both had endings that were kinda truncated or screwed up or abrupt either because of budget constraints or ratings/network TV time-slot crap. Both series shortly thereafter made a well-financed film (End of Eva and Fire Walk With Me) that in both cases *kinda* wrapped up things up but also *kinda* deepened the mystery and left you curious yet curiously satisfied - for me anyway.

kaworu fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Jun 29, 2019

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

While I'm sure Anno had Twin Peaks on the mind considering how popular it was in the 90's in Japan, for the most part I feel like Godard is the better comparison to Anno than Lynch- you even find the whole "white text on black background interrogating the characters" thing in a movie like Masculun Feminin, and the collage style of the TV ending of Eva seems very reminiscent of his essay films like Historie(s) du cinema to me (Though granted its used for a very different purpose). When Godard is actually working in narrative he's often riffing on genres in his own way too of course, something all three of them have in common.

kaworu you should watch the Rebuild of Eva movies at some point- I do think they have a similar relationship with NGE that The Return has with OG Twin Peaks. I think that's where the stronger Lynch comparison lies IMHO, particularly with the third Rebuild movie having very similar you can't relive/remake the past themes.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Jun 29, 2019

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The idea that the last 2-3 years of our lives have actually been some avant-garde grand experiment film by David Lynch actually makes me feel a little better about the world :shobon:

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

It’s a tie between that and the scene where Briggs is recounting his dream to Bobby for me.

I love that scene so much, and the scene in The Return where Bobby visits his mother and she tells him that his father always knew he would turn out well is such a perfect, beautiful follow-up.

God I loved season 3.

Rageaholic posted:

Episode 8, AKA the all-time best episode of television, aired 2 years ago today!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ir8s6IGq2Hs

I still remember sitting mouth agape as the entire episode unfolded. I don't think I'll ever feel anything again like I did watching that episode, and if I do I will count myself absurdly lucky.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
I think Anno has more in common with von Trier than Lynch

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

BetterLekNextTime posted:

I always interpreted it like Albert was loving with Truman. Albert almost beat the poo poo out of Dr Hayward.

Major Briggs also slapped Bobby's cigarette from his mouth, and yet, there he is: The most beautiful, peaceful (floating head of a) man in all of time and space.

It has occurred to me, many things happen in Twin Peaks season two that Lynch had nothing to do with. Ben wins the civil war, Nadine goes to high school, Dick Tremayne nearly adopts a child, and so on. In season three, however, Lynch chooses to only reference a single one of those many pointless side plots: The horny old man called Dougie who dies during sex. It's very baffling to me.

Edit: He even wears a ring with a green stone in it.

And More fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jul 7, 2019

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Eh, we do get dramatic echoes to those more comedic bits in season 2 though. Like Cooper literally trying to change history, an actual evil stepchild in Richard Horne (Reminder that "Dick" is a common nickname for Richard) etc.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Raxivace posted:

Eh, we do get dramatic echoes to those more comedic bits in season 2 though. Like Cooper literally trying to change history, an actual evil stepchild in Richard Horne (Reminder that "Dick" is a common nickname for Richard) etc.

I had never thought about that first one. That's a very interesting parallel.

I don't buy that little Nicky has a similar name to Richard Horne (or maybe by association with Dick Tremayne?). That seems flimsy. I just remembered, though, that it is revealed his mother was raped and died after giving birth to him. So, that's definitely similar.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I read a neat interview with David Lynch last week about an art installation he is doing in Manchester, and the subject of Season 3 came up. I loving loved this bit:

Interviewer: There were some colourful fan theories about Twin Peaks: The Return. Were you entertained by any of them?
Lynch: I don’t know which ones you’re talking about, I don’t know anything.
Interviewer: One theory proposed that if you play the last two episodes in tandem, hidden meanings are revealed.
Lynch: Bullshit.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Jerusalem posted:

I read a neat interview with David Lynch last week about an art installation he is doing in Manchester, and the subject of Season 3 came up. I loving loved this bit:

Interviewer: There were some colourful fan theories about Twin Peaks: The Return. Were you entertained by any of them?
Lynch: I don’t know which ones you’re talking about, I don’t know anything.
Interviewer: One theory proposed that if you play the last two episodes in tandem, hidden meanings are revealed.
Lynch: Bullshit.

Now this is the Lynch content I crave lol.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Make Season 4 you coward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009
Make something you old man :smithcloud: