Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

feedmegin posted:

Why would they remove the stopgap, ever, if stability is what everyone wants? I mean, assuming that things do go haywire, because if they don't a formal agreement with much the same effect will presumably have been reached anyway. If a deal has been set up between the sensible adults and it works why would said sensible adults then gently caress with it? And lol if you think senior banking staff are going to have much trouble getting visas no matter what.

because it is bad for the eu to let foreign powers meddle in their markets, both for reasons of controlling the flow of money and for simple accountability purposes. as noted i an quite sure the stopgap is inherently time-limited.

being a sensible adult sounds great, but britain decided to vote against that route.

you also overestimate the relative power of individual bankers, their preferences has no bearing on anything at this level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

pathetic little tramp posted:

What's a good salary for a react developer with 5 years experience in Boston d'you think

6.25 figgies

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

What's a good salary for a react developer with 5 years experience in Boston d'you think

$60k if its just react

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Shaggar posted:

$60k if its just react

didn't realize that market was such garbage

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
idk that's about what id pay for someone who only does react/js. you can probably trick a startup into paying you more tho.

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Shaggar is wrong. amazon has a job category now for frontend (FEE) that’s equivalent in pay to SDE

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Interviewing and recruitment: still garbage. I'm looking for a new role and helping interview candidates to fill mine and both sides suck. Just did a 4 hr take home and got 0 feedback, don't think I would do one again as I'm not desperate for a job anymore. It was fine when I was a fresh grad and just wanted a foot in the door but I know I can find something good now.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Flat Daddy posted:

Shaggar is wrong. amazon has a job category now for frontend (FEE) that’s equivalent in pay to SDE

shaggar is probably right in that a react developer in portland, maine could expect to earn $60k/year

maine isn't boston

*checks calendar* wait its july, actually maine is boston

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
React is just their base requirement, I can't think of any job in the industry that just does React, it's part of a whole front end engineer deal. They pressed hard for me to give them a number, so I just said 150 to give them something to haggle me down on, but since they just said "okay" I'm wondering if they don't understand negotiation from that point or if they're waiting for some kid to tell them 40 and for them to say "Hot poo poo you're hired" and they're thinking I'm too expensive or something.

edit: For Boston I'm definitely not working for less than six figures, I'd entertain 90k for something in Louisville/Iowa or something I guess.

pathetic little tramp fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jul 8, 2019

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

last week recruiter was saying he was still waiting for feedback and i was 50/50 that i either hadn’t gotten it or they were the typical small company that was extremely disorganized when it came to hiring. turns out it was the latter! they want me to talk to the head of professional services next. hooray

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

being a sensible adult sounds great, but britain decided to vote against that route.

British politicians did (given we're discussing No Deal). We are talking about bankers, talking to other bankers.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

feedmegin posted:

British politicians did (given we're discussing No Deal). We are talking about bankers, talking to other bankers.

It's funny because May's "No Deal is better than a Bad Deal" was clearly intended as a negotiating tactic but caught a life of it's own and here we are.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

feedmegin posted:

Why would they remove the stopgap, ever, if stability is what everyone wants? I mean, assuming that things do go haywire, because if they don't a formal agreement with much the same effect will presumably have been reached anyway. If a deal has been set up between the sensible adults and it works why would said sensible adults then gently caress with it? And lol if you think senior banking staff are going to have much trouble getting visas no matter what.

Also, don't individual bankers p much hate the idea of living in Frankfurt instead of London?

the eu is totally fine with expelling London, and The City, from European finances. they just don’t want it to happen by accident, without any planning, because parliament poo poo their pants

there will be no permanent arrangement of any kind ever that severs financial services from the free movement of people. that is a red line for a majority of eu members.

like, that’s the heart of the brexit thing. Britain has spent three years begging the eu to separate some eu benefits from obligations and that has never, ever been negotiable

the eu four freedoms are not separable. if you want free movement of capital you will also be permitting the other three.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Private Speech posted:

It's funny because May's "No Deal is better than a Bad Deal" was clearly intended as a negotiating tactic but caught a life of it's own and here we are.

may’s dealmaking was founded on delusions and fever dreams

in terms of delivering what Tory and dup voters keep asking for, “no deal” literally is better

the “deal” was to be permanently a subject of the eu, while losing any influence over eu politics. the dumbest of all possible worlds

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

They pressed hard for me to give them a number, so I just said 150 to give them something to haggle me down on, but since they just said "okay" I'm wondering if they don't understand negotiation from that point or

it means they were expecting to have to give you more and you lowballed yourself

Phraggah
Nov 11, 2011

A rocket fuel made of Doritos? Yeah, I could kind of see it.
Just did two tech screens. Had great personal and technical dynamics with both sets of interviewers. I went down the correct paths algo wise and had great collaboration wrt architecture and system design - we discussed many alternate solutions and arrived at the right one (I think)

A week later I am informed I did not pass either because I "required too much help" - apparently I was collaborating but they weren't.

Not sure if me or thread title.

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
had a technical early last week that i didnt expect anthing to come from, but the next day they asked for references and contacted them. now i have brain poisoned myself into hoping i get it. playing the waiting game like everyone else due to the holiday weekend.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Phraggah posted:

Not sure if me or thread title.

the or is never exclusive

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

edit: For Boston I'm definitely not working for less than six figures, I'd entertain 90k for something in Louisville/Iowa or something I guess.

you might be surprised - I'm told it's possible to make six figs in both Des Moines and Louisville as full-stack. I'd prolly go with Lou'vlle because their airport has better connections and the local food would be better but I'm a white dude so Kentucky wouldn't collectively regarded me as misbehaving property or want me chained to the kitchen stove

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the “deal” was to be permanently a subject of the eu, while losing any influence over eu politics. the dumbest of all possible worlds

gettin' taxed without representation would be a deliciously ironic situation for the UK to end up in

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Munkeymon posted:

you might be surprised - I'm told it's possible to make six figs in both Des Moines and Louisville as full-stack. I'd prolly go with Lou'vlle because their airport has better connections and the local food would be better but I'm a white dude so Kentucky wouldn't collectively regarded me as misbehaving property or want me chained to the kitchen stove

you can make six figures as a computer touchers literally anywhere in America

getting that deece 6.5 figgies is a lot more geographically limiting

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Munkeymon posted:

gettin' taxed without representation would be a deliciously ironic situation for the UK to end up in

it doesn’t seem like a likely outcome, but this was literally what may proposed

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

:crossarms:

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
if they give up northern ireland it gets a lot easier

either immediately, or in a generation or two after they've introduced a sea border to allow most of the uk to diverge from the eu without breaking the good friday agreement

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

the femtosecond May lost her majority in parliament and started relying on the support of irish unionists, there was no longer any hope for any negotiated deal with the EU. the only conceivable outcome is no deal since literally no other option can possibly claim a majority in parliament, and no deal is the default. that's not to say there definitely would've been a different outcome if she hadn't called an election since there's a lot of no deal fanatics in her own party, but risking that majority by assuming that corbyn would get eviscerated was a pretty stupid gamble none the less. the whole brexit thing is hosed and there was really no way out of it once the leave vote came through.

she was handed a poisoned chalice from the beginning though, the real incompetent shitheel was david cameron who not only brought the country to its knees with austerity, but allowed not one but two referendums with the potential to destroy the united kingdom just so his voter share wasn't split by ukip (which conveniently got a lot more publicity after austerity really kicked in).

Jimbola
Sep 27, 2005

I say, what a dapper young fellow.
Fun Shoe

pointsofdata posted:

Interviewing and recruitment: still garbage. I'm looking for a new role and helping interview candidates to fill mine and both sides suck. Just did a 4 hr take home and got 0 feedback, don't think I would do one again as I'm not desperate for a job anymore. It was fine when I was a fresh grad and just wanted a foot in the door but I know I can find something good now.

in exactly the same boat. i did a couple of these take homes and regretted it both times (they liked one, but it fell through for other reasons, and the other was rejected with no feedback).

it's really demoralising now that every company wants you to do a take home that takes ~4 hours, most of which will reject you with no feedback. i think i'm going to go freelance/contract for a while since this poo poo really sucks.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

trying to capture the local pronunciation which sound like it's forming a glottal stop right in the middle

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Jimbola posted:

in exactly the same boat. i did a couple of these take homes and regretted it both times (they liked one, but it fell through for other reasons, and the other was rejected with no feedback).

it's really demoralising now that every company wants you to do a take home that takes ~4 hours, most of which will reject you with no feedback. i think i'm going to go freelance/contract for a while since this poo poo really sucks.

i thought take-homes would be better than stupid algo questions but they're somehow worse. i think companies need to provide themselves an incentive to actually check these things by paying potential hires like 500 bucks to do the projects. this happened to one of my friends and it seems like a good way to get quality work handed in and peace of mind for the applicant that their project will get looked at.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the eu is totally fine with expelling London, and The City, from European finances. they just don’t want it to happen by accident, without any planning, because parliament poo poo their pants

there will be no permanent arrangement of any kind ever that severs financial services from the free movement of people. that is a red line for a majority of eu members.

like, that’s the heart of the brexit thing. Britain has spent three years begging the eu to separate some eu benefits from obligations and that has never, ever been negotiable

the eu four freedoms are not separable. if you want free movement of capital you will also be permitting the other three.

reminder that UK already has(d) the most lax requirements of any EU country because of exceptions they've already negotiated for themselves over the last 40+ years

Jimbola
Sep 27, 2005

I say, what a dapper young fellow.
Fun Shoe

KidDynamite posted:

i thought take-homes would be better than stupid algo questions but they're somehow worse. i think companies need to provide themselves an incentive to actually check these things by paying potential hires like 500 bucks to do the projects. this happened to one of my friends and it seems like a good way to get quality work handed in and peace of mind for the applicant that their project will get looked at.

yeah i think the process needs to be reworked really. it seems that the recruitment flow here (UK) is:

1. 30 minute chat with non technical hr person
2. 4-6 hour take home test
3. talking to tech people/on sites if you get through step 2

it's way too early in the process in my mind. you're not going to want to invest 4-6 hours unpaid for just some job.

ideally they'd get you on site to do some kind of pair programming exercise/work on a real problem, but then i guess that would involve a bit of effort on their part.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib
Yeah the job I'm interviewing for now made me take an IQ test, then conversation with HR, then next step is supposed to be a 1hr codepen exercise with their department head, then a take home if I get past that. It's a little fuckin out there.

And I did work in Louisville, it's a great city and I wish more companies would try to locate in quieter, midwestern cities; but they decided to pack me up and move me to Miami and when I got here the pay increase/title change never materialised. I asked about an increase and they said "yes yes you definitely deserve one, but we can't do that until October so you just have to wait." Fuuuuuuuuuck that. I should have said "okay, pay increase and title change and then I move to Miami, not before."

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Munkeymon posted:

trying to capture the local pronunciation which sound like it's forming a glottal stop right in the middle

for what it’s worth, you did a good job

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

qhat posted:

the femtosecond May lost her majority in parliament and started relying on the support of irish unionists, there was no longer any hope for any negotiated deal with the EU.

there was never any hope for a negotiated deal, because the things the brexiters wanted were non-negotiable

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Yeah the job I'm interviewing for now made me take an IQ test, then conversation with HR, then next step is supposed to be a 1hr codepen exercise with their department head, then a take home if I get past that. It's a little fuckin out there.

lol i wouldn’t have thought that you could get red flaggier than “iq test” but “iq test as the first step” definitely does it

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yeah the job I'm interviewing for now made me take an IQ test, then

what

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib

Yeah apparently for my position they only go for over-130 IQ people... which is definitely loving weird. They didn't tell me how I did either, lol.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I'm guessing that wasn't an actual IQ test, those take a couple hours and require in-person moderation

also 130+ is like the top 2% of scores and I'm curious how they would accommodate people with disabilities [kidding, I know they don't, I'd guess the whole thing is a coded protected class exclusion device]

qirex fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jul 9, 2019

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

maybe by actually taking the iq test you failed

i'll ignore the entire "IQ was supposed to measure intellectual development, not overall ability" thing

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

IQ was designed to test if people were developmentally challenged, and the entire premise is based around that. Using it to screen applicants is a giant rear end red flag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I'd guess this company bought an online survey for tens of thousands of dollars from a workforce optimization consulting firm because the hiring managers kept loving up or the ceo took a 10 question online "iq test" 15 years ago and scored 150