Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

I am super familiar with the "stupid human dig" and I am glad it's not limited to me.

edit: gently caress, this was a bad snype.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Is there a way to make a bun stop licking things? Because every morning I wake up to the couch covered in saliva

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

goblin week posted:

Is there a way to make a bun stop licking things? Because every morning I wake up to the couch covered in saliva
Every morning you wake up and your couch is still there, and you're concerned that your rabbit is licking too much?

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
It’s getting crusty! :(

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
You could try horse anti-chewing spray or diluted soap, but be warned that there's at least an even chance that your rabbit will like the flavor.

My rabbit would take the slightly more expedient route of just wedging his head under my hand.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Remora posted:

I am super familiar with the "stupid human dig" and I am glad it's not limited to me.

edit: gently caress, this was a bad snype.

Sounds like your rabbit's got a proper read of you then :v:.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Ludo likes the sunroom so much, I figured he should get to visit the actual yard.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

He looks so thrilled...

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
When he found a dandelion he was moving too quickly to film

mekyabetsu
Dec 17, 2018

I cross posted this to Ask/Tell's small questions thread, since I couldn't really find a suitable "urban backyard wildlife" thread here. This isn't about house bunnies, per se, but some of you might have some advice anyway.

I was picking up a pile of leaves in my backyard that I've been neglecting for awhile when I saw some wriggling and uncovered a little furry thing. I thought it might be a squirrel, so I carefully uncovered it a bit more and found a little group of baby bunnies! I gently covered them back up with some of the leaves that I had moved, but now I'm kinda worried about them. I can only assume that the mother rabbit is one of the two or three adult rabbits that I often find hopping around my backyard. I just want to make sure they'll be okay and figure out approximately how long they're going to be in there until they move out into the world and start their bunny lives. A quick search says about 3 weeks, max. They're tiny, but appear to have all of their fur, and at least one of them had opened eyes as it peered out to see the terrifying monster that had disturbed its sleep :(. I'm not a rabbit expert, but they appear to be in good health and well past the newborn stage.

I have to mow my backyard eventually, but I'll definitely wait until the little ones are out and about before I do.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

mekyabetsu posted:

I cross posted this to Ask/Tell's small questions thread, since I couldn't really find a suitable "urban backyard wildlife" thread here. This isn't about house bunnies, per se, but some of you might have some advice anyway.

I was picking up a pile of leaves in my backyard that I've been neglecting for awhile when I saw some wriggling and uncovered a little furry thing. I thought it might be a squirrel, so I carefully uncovered it a bit more and found a little group of baby bunnies! I gently covered them back up with some of the leaves that I had moved, but now I'm kinda worried about them. I can only assume that the mother rabbit is one of the two or three adult rabbits that I often find hopping around my backyard. I just want to make sure they'll be okay and figure out approximately how long they're going to be in there until they move out into the world and start their bunny lives. A quick search says about 3 weeks, max. They're tiny, but appear to have all of their fur, and at least one of them had opened eyes as it peered out to see the terrifying monster that had disturbed its sleep :(. I'm not a rabbit expert, but they appear to be in good health and well past the newborn stage.

I have to mow my backyard eventually, but I'll definitely wait until the little ones are out and about before I do.
Don't worry about them. If their parents aren't able to care for them, they shouldn't survive. With wild rabbits, a little coldness is more compassionate. You have to think about the health of the colony and the population, not about individual rabbits. That's the best way to care for a wild animal. You're a steward, not an owner.

mekyabetsu
Dec 17, 2018

FactsAreUseless posted:

Don't worry about them. If their parents aren't able to care for them, they shouldn't survive. With wild rabbits, a little coldness is more compassionate. You have to think about the health of the colony and the population, not about individual rabbits. That's the best way to care for a wild animal. You're a steward, not an owner.

I understand and generally share that perspective. (To be honest, wild rabbits are kind of pests in my neighborhood.) If I hadn't interfered in their lives by scraping the roof off their nest, I would be content to let nature take its course. As it is, I'd just like to make sure I don't cause any more problems with deadly lawn equipment.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

mekyabetsu posted:

I understand and generally share that perspective. (To be honest, wild rabbits are kind of pests in my neighborhood.) If I hadn't interfered in their lives by scraping the roof off their nest, I would be content to let nature take its course. As it is, I'd just like to make sure I don't cause any more problems with deadly lawn equipment.
Just don't mow for a while. If you want to encourage wild rabbits, an unmown lawn will attract them, as it offers both food and cover.

wafflethief
Jun 2, 2013
wild rabbits been quite uncommon here for a few years now. :( pity, i used to enjoy watching them running about nuts.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
https://i.imgur.com/hXN5j5v.mp4

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

So, if a rabbit spends a looooooooot of time flopped, is that because they're double secret relaxed, or is that a cause for concern?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Remora posted:

So, if a rabbit spends a looooooooot of time flopped, is that because they're double secret relaxed, or is that a cause for concern?
The former. Problem signs are things like sudden behavioral changes, unresponsiveness, changes in diet, changes in droppings, timidness, aggressiveness. A rabbit in pain won't look relaxed.

Edit: The rabbits I've had who have gotten stasis would puff themselves up because they were uncomfortable and their body temp was dropping. Very huddled-up and bloated-looking because they were trying to stay warm.

clear eyes full farts
Jul 3, 2007

the uk is just awful
It's a fake democracy
with free education and healthcare as long as you are a dosser and I am trapped here :(

There is relaxed happy flopping and awkward painful gut stasis flattening the belly sort of flopping, they don't look the same. If they are eating and crapping as normal it's all good. A stethoscope can offer some reasurance, you want to hear their guts gurgling and bubbling

wafflethief
Jun 2, 2013

Is he on guard duty?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

http://imgur.com/gallery/bYGuYyr

Made a gallery of Harriet in the garden of my new townhouse. Spent a lot of time hauling stones, digging up lovely dirt, planting and gardening to make it her paradise. She loves to eat the cat grass we planted. Hopefully this keeps me safe from her rage

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

bunnyofdoom posted:

http://imgur.com/gallery/bYGuYyr

Made a gallery of Harriet in the garden of my new townhouse. Spent a lot of time hauling stones, digging up lovely dirt, planting and gardening to make it her paradise. She loves to eat the cat grass we planted. Hopefully this keeps me safe from her rage

Be very careful about leaving her outside unattended. Rabbits can dig super fast if they want to and it wouldn’t take her much time to give herself enough room to squeeze under the chickenwire if she felt like she needed to. But you already prolly knew that given that you live with her and know her evil ways and all that.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Be very careful about leaving her outside unattended. Rabbits can dig super fast if they want to and it wouldn’t take her much time to give herself enough room to squeeze under the chickenwire if she felt like she needed to. But you already prolly knew that given that you live with her and know her evil ways and all that.

Oh trust me we never leave her unattended. Also we put the chicken wire well below the soil line. The dirt and plants are on top of it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

bunnyofdoom posted:

Oh trust me we never leave her unattended. Also we put the chicken wire well below the soil line. The dirt and plants are on top of it.

How is her new lair in the basement?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I think it's time to get Ludo a litter pan with higher walls. He keeps peeing outside of it, and flicking droppings out when he gets out of it. A sidewall that goes all the way up to his hay rack could also stop hay bits from falling in the gap.

Anyway, he likes cherries.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGIr5CXxpAQ

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

How is her new lair in the basement?

She likes it down there. And plots. Frequently.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

I think it's time to get Ludo a litter pan with higher walls. He keeps peeing outside of it, and flicking droppings out when he gets out of it. A sidewall that goes all the way up to his hay rack could also stop hay bits from falling in the gap.

Anyway, he likes cherries.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGIr5CXxpAQ
Good rabbit

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup
God damnit, carrots just loving loves to stop eating, act uncomfortable, hide, and act scared until we get him to the emergency vet and they start running tests on him. Then he suddenly decides he is all better and wants to eat everything.

This is the second time this has happened. We had to take him in last night at 10 pm (and I had to wake up at 5 am to work an 11 hour shift). They checked him out and ran blood tests on him. While the blood tests were being run, I offered him a treat, like I had dozens of times already that night, and he gobbled it up.

At least I know his glucose, creatinine, and ALT levels are all excellent.

...... really didnt need an emergency vet bill either. Buuuut I guess I'm glad he's ok.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Are you in the US? Fireworks had Lillian wildly vacillating between hiding from me and climbing all over me for the last 3 days.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

BAE OF PIGS posted:

God damnit, carrots just loving loves to stop eating, act uncomfortable, hide, and act scared until we get him to the emergency vet and they start running tests on him. Then he suddenly decides he is all better and wants to eat everything.

This is the second time this has happened. We had to take him in last night at 10 pm (and I had to wake up at 5 am to work an 11 hour shift). They checked him out and ran blood tests on him. While the blood tests were being run, I offered him a treat, like I had dozens of times already that night, and he gobbled it up.

At least I know his glucose, creatinine, and ALT levels are all excellent.

...... really didnt need an emergency vet bill either. Buuuut I guess I'm glad he's ok.

So... completely normal for a rabbit, then.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Broussette used to be very clean but since I brought her to my parent's place a while ago she's just been peeing all over the place. They have a male rabbit so I did expect her to pick up some territorial behaviors from that trip but the problem is she's not stopping and it's been over 3 months now.

I've tried the usual stuff like keeping her locked up for a few days and slowly expanding her territory so she unlearns her bad habit (got a bad rabbit, yeah yeah :banjo:) but it's not working and I'm getting tired of both sanding down my wooden floor every time I miss one of her "accidents" and leaving her locked up when she was used to hop around freely.

Any tips ?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Sassy Sasquatch posted:

Broussette used to be very clean but since I brought her to my parent's place a while ago she's just been peeing all over the place. They have a male rabbit so I did expect her to pick up some territorial behaviors from that trip but the problem is she's not stopping and it's been over 3 months now.

I've tried the usual stuff like keeping her locked up for a few days and slowly expanding her territory so she unlearns her bad habit (got a bad rabbit, yeah yeah :banjo:) but it's not working and I'm getting tired of both sanding down my wooden floor every time I miss one of her "accidents" and leaving her locked up when she was used to hop around freely.

Any tips ?

Control the size of her enclosure and put down a floor covering that can protect the floor until the behavior’s stopped. I’m all for free-ranging your rab but if you’re sanding down your wood floors then something’s gotta give and it shouldn’t be your floors.

Was she housed with your parents’ rabbit? Did they bond and then get separated?

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Control the size of her enclosure and put down a floor covering that can protect the floor until the behavior’s stopped. I’m all for free-ranging your rab but if you’re sanding down your wood floors then something’s gotta give and it shouldn’t be your floors.

Was she housed with your parents’ rabbit? Did they bond and then get separated?

Man, I expected you to pick this one up but that was fast. :D

They did bond to a limited extent, my parents have a pretty large garden so I figured that was probably the best neutral place to let them get accustomed to one another without much risk of aggression. They're both neutered and very friendly so I wasn't too worried. They went out twice without a hitch but didn't share much common space beyond that. (separate cages and everything)

I could try to setup a pen but my apartment is pretty small so I don't know where I'd put it and what exact size it should be. Currently when I want to limit her movements i just move some light furniture around to split my living room in 2 and setup a litter box in a corner. Note that prior to all that she used to leave some droppings here and there (fine by me) but she never peed outside her cage. Now even with an extra litter box outside she keeps leaving puddles in the corners or just outside the box. And I don't know if it's just to mark her territory considering the size of said puddles.

Also she loves setting up shop in my TV bench and peeing on my Blu-rays now.

I get that you hate Drive and The Green Mile, you can stop now. :argh:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Sassy Sasquatch posted:

Man, I expected you to pick this one up but that was fast. :D

what can I say, I’m an empty husk of a man with nothing better going on :imunfunny: 🤷🏻‍♂️

1) if the rabbit is destroying your stuff, you gotta pen the rabbit. If you have space to free-roam a rabbit, you have room to set up an ex-pen. You definitely have room to set up a 2-3 story cage like a Leith cage if need be (there’s pictures of my old one ITT, just search through my posts), and that won’t take up nearly as much floorspace. It’s not just for your sake, rabbits that destroy stuff are at risk for ingesting bad poo poo, electrocuting themselves, creating unsafe environments with their leavings, etc. You mention sanding the floors and losing Blu-rays, just imagine all the pee spots that you’re maybe not catching (under furniture, behind electronics,seeping under the radiator, etc). As the human you gotta get her environment under control, and if that means shrinking her environment it’s arguably for the best.

2) also maybe your rabbit is grieving or stressed? Just shooting in the dark here, but rabbits often act out or go through big behavioral shifts when they go through poo poo.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Electric Bugaloo posted:

what can I say, I’m an empty husk of a man with nothing better going on :imunfunny: 🤷🏻‍♂️

Hey no need to apologize man, I’m always looking forward to your advice. ;) (Not to import any E/N stuff here but I hope things get better for you, you deserve it)

Anyway, Broussette doesn’t destroy stuff, like at all. I know some rabbits do that but it’s not her kink. It’s really just the litter training I’m pulling my hair with. I’ll try completely sanding down the remaining stains, spray vinegar over them and setting up a small pen outside her cage like you advised. Put food near the litter box as well, that should help. Will report back. (hopefully with some good results)

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Harriet got bunnysat by my parents for about 5 days this week for reasons. She was sweetness and happy and friendly. She would sit in Mom's lap, and cuddle and be happy.

Until Saturday night. Appropo of nothing, she deadass looked mom in the eye and peed like she hadn't all week. Like, my mother was shocked that much liquid could fit in that small bunny body.

She told me she had to take a full shower.

So, yeah, Harriet is stepping up her long term planning.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Cool cool, gotta make sure Broussette never finds out about this thread.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

I shall sing you the song of my people.

Sassy Sasquatch posted:

Cool cool, gotta make sure Broussette never finds out about this thread.

She already knows, friend. She already knows.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I worry about Ludo's teeth sometimes because he just...doesn't chew stuff that isn't his food. I give him chew sticks and toys and he just doesn't seem to care. But his teeth look fine to me.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Halloween Jack posted:

I worry about Ludo's teeth sometimes because he just...doesn't chew stuff that isn't his food. I give him chew sticks and toys and he just doesn't seem to care. But his teeth look fine to me.

Don't worry, contrary to a widespread belief rabbits don't need to chew on hard stuff to grind down their teeth and it can actually be bad for them. Chewing is more down to personality and environment, if he doesn't like to destroy stuff to be happy then all the better for you. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

Does he seem to have any tooth or mouth pain? Are you guys good with you prodding his face and checking? Rabbits with dental issues will often limit their chewing/grooming/picking poo poo up with their mouth to the minimum but eat enough to keep going.